• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT article on the original iPhone development and its team

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NYT has a lengthy article on the first iPhone and its development team.

Posting tidbits:

Grignon was the senior manager in charge of all the radios in the iPhone. This is a big job. Cellphones do innumerable useful things for us today, but at their most basic, they are fancy two-way radios. Grignon was in charge of the equipment that allowed the phone to be a phone. If the device didn’t make calls, or didn’t connect with Bluetooth headsets or Wi-Fi setups, Grignon had to answer for it. As one of the iPhone’s earliest engineers, he’d dedicated two and a half years of his life — often seven days a week — to the project.

Grignon had been part of the iPhone rehearsal team at Apple and later at the presentation site in San Francisco’s Moscone Center. He had rarely seen Jobs make it all the way through his 90-minute show without a glitch. Jobs had been practicing for five days, yet even on the last day of rehearsals the iPhone was still randomly dropping calls, losing its Internet connection, freezing or simply shutting down.

“At first it was just really cool to be at rehearsals at all — kind of like a cred badge,” Grignon says. Only a chosen few were allowed to attend. “But it quickly got really uncomfortable. Very rarely did I see him become completely unglued — it happened, but mostly he just looked at you and very directly said in a very loud and stern voice, ‘You are [expletive] up my company,’ or, ‘If we fail, it will be because of you.’ He was just very intense. And you would always feel an inch tall.” Grignon, like everyone else at rehearsals, knew that if those glitches showed up during the real presentation, Jobs would not be blaming himself for the problems. “It felt like we’d gone through the demo a hundred times, and each time something went wrong,” Grignon says. “It wasn’t a good feeling.”

It’s hard to overstate the gamble Jobs took when he decided to unveil the iPhone back in January 2007. Not only was he introducing a new kind of phone — something Apple had never made before — he was doing so with a prototype that barely worked. Even though the iPhone wouldn’t go on sale for another six months, he wanted the world to want one right then. In truth, the list of things that still needed to be done was enormous. A production line had yet to be set up. Only about a hundred iPhones even existed, all of them of varying quality. Some had noticeable gaps between the screen and the plastic edge; others had scuff marks on the screen. And the software that ran the phone was full of bugs.

The iPhone could play a section of a song or a video, but it couldn’t play an entire clip reliably without crashing. It worked fine if you sent an e-mail and then surfed the Web. If you did those things in reverse, however, it might not. Hours of trial and error had helped the iPhone team develop what engineers called “the golden path,” a specific set of tasks, performed in a specific way and order, that made the phone look as if it worked.

There was less they could do to make sure the phone calls Jobs planned to make from the stage went through. Grignon and his team could only ensure a good signal, and then pray. They had AT&T, the iPhone’s wireless carrier, bring in a portable cell tower, so they knew reception would be strong. Then, with Jobs’s approval, they preprogrammed the phone’s display to always show five bars of signal strength regardless of its true strength. The chances of the radio’s crashing during the few minutes that Jobs would use it to make a call were small, but the chances of its crashing at some point during the 90-minute presentation were high. “If the radio crashed and restarted, as we suspected it might, we didn’t want people in the audience to see that,” Grignon says. “So we just hard-coded it to always show five bars.”

None of these kludges fixed the iPhone’s biggest problem: it often ran out of memory and had to be restarted if made to do more than a handful of tasks at a time. Jobs had a number of demo units onstage with him to manage this problem. If memory ran low on one, he would switch to another while the first was restarted. But given how many demos Jobs planned, Grignon worried that there were far too many potential points of failure. If disaster didn’t strike during one of the dozen demos, it was sure to happen during the grand finale, when Jobs planned to show all the iPhone’s top features operating at the same time on the same phone. He’d play some music, take a call, put it on hold and take another call, find and e-mail a photo to the second caller, look up something on the Internet for the first caller and then return to his music. “Me and my guys were all so nervous about this,” Grignon says. “We only had 128 megabytes of memory in those phones” — maybe the equivalent of two dozen large digital photographs — “and because they weren’t finished, all these apps were still big and bloated.”

Remarkably, Jobs had to be talked into having Apple build a phone at all. It had been a topic of conversation among his inner circle almost from the moment Apple introduced the iPod in 2001. The conceptual reasoning was obvious: consumers would rather not carry two or three devices for e-mail, phone calls and music if they could carry one. But every time Jobs and his executives examined the idea in detail, it seemed like a suicide mission. Phone chips and bandwidth were too slow for anyone to want to surf the Internet and download music or video over a cellphone connection. E-mail was a fine function to add to a phone, but Research in Motion’s BlackBerry was fast locking up that market.

Above all, Jobs didn’t want to partner with any of the wireless carriers. Back then the carriers expected to dominate any partnership with a phone maker, and because they controlled the network, they got their way. Jobs, a famed control freak, couldn’t imagine doing their bidding. Apple considered buying Motorola in 2003, but executives quickly concluded it would be too big an acquisition for the company then. (The two companies collaborated unsuccessfully a couple of years later.)

Many executives and engineers, riding high from their success with the iPod, assumed a phone would be like building a small Macintosh. Instead, Apple designed and built not one but three different early versions of the iPhone in 2005 and 2006. One person who worked on the project thinks Apple then made six fully working prototypes of the device it ultimately sold — each with its own set of hardware, software and design tweaks. Some on the team ended up so burned out that they left the company shortly after the first phone hit store shelves. “It was like the first moon mission,” says Tony Fadell, a key executive on the project. (He started his own company, Nest, in 2010.) “I’m used to a certain level of unknowns in a project, but there were so many new things here that it was just staggering.”

As early as 2003, a handful of Apple engineers had figured out how to put multitouch technology in a tablet. “The story was that Steve wanted a device that he could use to read e-mail while on the toilet — that was the extent of the product spec,” says Joshua Strickon, one of the earliest engineers on that project. “But you couldn’t build a device with enough battery life to take out of the house, and you couldn’t get a chip with enough graphics capability to make it useful. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out just what to do.” Before joining Apple in 2003, Strickon had built a multitouch device for his master’s thesis at M.I.T. But given the lack of consensus at Apple about what to do with the prototypes he and his fellow engineers developed, he says, he left the company in 2004 thinking it wasn’t going to do anything with that technology.

From the start of the project, Jobs hoped that he would be able to develop a touch-screen iPhone running OS X similar to what he ended up unveiling. But in 2005 he had no idea how long that would take. So Apple’s first iPhone looked very much like the joke slide Jobs put up when introducing the real iPhone — an iPod with an old-fashioned rotary dial on it. The prototype really was an iPod with a phone radio that used the iPod click wheel as a dialer. “It was an easy way to get to market, but it was not cool like the devices we have today,” Grignon says.

The iPhone project was so complex that it occasionally threatened to derail the entire corporation. Many top engineers in the company were being sucked into the project, forcing slowdowns in the timetables of other work. Had the iPhone been a dud or not gotten off the ground at all, Apple would have had no other big products ready to announce for a long time. And worse, according to a top executive on the project, the company’s leading engineers, frustrated by failure, would have left Apple.

There are still more at the link. Interesting read.

oatmeal

Banned
Very good read. They made a risky move and it revolutionized the world.

(EDIT)
Ironic that my stupid iPhone doesn't know the difference between "Very" and "Yvette".

border

"One senior executive believes that more than $150 million was spent creating the first iPhone."

That seems like an incredibly reasonable price for all the R&D they did, yet the articles states it like we're supposed to be blown away by this astronomical budget.

jts

...hate me...
"One senior executive believes that more than $150 million was spent creating the first iPhone."

That seems like an incredibly reasonable price for all the R&D they did, yet the articles states it like we're supposed to be blown away by this astronomical budget.
0.15 instagrams.

.15 Xbone controllers

Coreda

Fascinating the background to the first keynote. All that tension amongst the devs that the flaky prototype would pull it off!

gamma

Read that earlier, very interesting read. I like how they were doing shots sitting in the audience during the keynote

IceCold

Must have been insane to work on that project. Kinda like when they development the first Mac.

I bet some of these employees are rich as fuck due to Apple stocks. They blew up after the iPhone launched.

SeanR1221

so jobs had to be talked into creating a phone......
yet gets all the credit

*sigh*

I constantly see this line of thinking, especially around Steve Jobs.

If you're the head of something you take the risk or reward of putting out a project.

If the iPhone flopped, who would everyone blame?

MrHicks

Banned
*sigh*

I constantly see this line of thinking, especially around Steve Jobs.

If you're the head of something you take the risk or reward of putting out a project.

If the iPhone flopped, who would everyone blame?

BS
ceos can't just take credit for someone else ideas or creations
NOBODY says "eric smith (for google ceo) was the visionary who brought us GMAIL

yet everyone says "jobs brought us the IPOD,IPHONE & IPAD what a visionary genius!!!!

Watching the video of Steve Jobs presenting the iPhone still gives me chills down my spine. And I didn't even know about the iPhone until later also. Brilliant man and team.

border

It's probably not a good idea to make snap judgments about the product development cycle based on a GAFer's selective quoting of an 8 page article that is in itself an abridged version of a book containing hundreds of pages.

visionary

Read the article.

That sentence is about the development of a multitouch tablet in 2003-2004.

I thought that was interesting. I figured he was the one who came up with idea. Now I'm wondering how many ideas he actually came up with.

Few even thought about making touch-screen technology the centerpiece of a new kind of phone until Jobs started really pushing the idea in mid-2005. “He said: ‘Tony, come over here. Here’s something we’re working on. What do you think? Do you think we could make a phone out of this?’ ” Fadell says, referring to a demo Jobs was playing with. “It was huge. It filled the room. There was a projector mounted on the ceiling, and it would project the Mac screen onto this surface that was maybe three or four feet square. Then you could touch the Mac screen and move things around and draw on it.” Fadell was aware of the touch-screen prototype, but not in great detail, because it was a Mac product, and he ran the iPod division. “So we all sat down and had a serious discussion about it — about what could be done.”

border

Not to mention that the sentence is set in the context of the 2001-2003 mobile phone industry. Yeah, of course Jobs didn't want to make a phone because carriers demanded incredible control over the hardware. The only reason they ended up making the iPhone was because AT&T/Cingular let them do whatever they wanted to.

xbhaskarx

That's over ten billion current dollars given all the inflation in Zimbabwe.

Yeah I didn't get that, either...

MrHicks

Banned
Why would having to talk someone into something not allow that person to be responsible for its existence and how it turned out?

but according to that article jobs says "i want that and this feature" and the actual team has to try an accomplish it

all of the nitty gritty hard work is done by the team
said team that gets no credit whatsoever when iphone is mentioned

its all jobs jobs jobs

giga

BS

yet everyone says "jobs brought us the IPOD,IPHONE & IPAD what a visionary genius!!!!
You place a lot of emphasis on conceptualization and not enough on execution and leadership.

border

That's over ten billion current dollars given all the inflation in Zimbabwe.

Yeah I didn't get that, either...

I honestly think it's a misprint or a mis-statement or something. Especially considering that they were tying to make a phone/tablet thing for years.

How is it that it costs Microsoft over $100 million to make a minor refinement to the Xbox controller, but it costs Apple only slightly more than that to create a completely new product that's twenty times as complex?

KHarvey16

but according to that article jobs says "i want that and this feature" and the actual team has to try an accomplish it

its all jobs jobs jobs

Name a sailor on the Santa Maria.

cchum

I honestly think it's a misprint or a mis-statement or something. Especially considering that they were tying to make a phone/tablet thing for years.

How is it that it costs Microsoft over $100 million to make a minor refinement to the Xbox controller, but it costs Apple only slightly more than that to create a completely new product that's twenty times as complex?

Likely amortized over several products...
ipod as the hardware base
OSX development to iOS
tablet research to multitouch

The "real" number is likely higher.

BS

I've always thought this line of thinking was shit. Your example doesn't even make sense; in what way has Gmail impacted lives the way smart phones have?

Like the other poster said, if it was a flop, who would you blame? The engineers? Nope. You'd blame the leadership.

The anti-Apple circlejerk on Reddit is pretty disgusting. There was a thread about Jobs' death and people were happy he got cancer and died. The contrarian way of thinking on the internet is so morbid that it often gets to people's heads. Steve Jobs was a visionary and you're a fool if you don't believe it.

Vyer

I thought that was interesting. I figured he was the one who came up with idea. Now I'm wondering how many ideas he actually came up with.

From the way the article reads, he had to be talked into it because of the obstacles they were aware of. (namely the carriers and the radio tech). Not so much 'coming up with the idea'.

SeanR1221

its all jobs jobs jobs

Right because no one blames Ballmer for the Surface flopping and WP failing to gain marketshare.

Name a sailor on the Santa Maria.

I know what you're saying, but design and programming are both creative disciplines which get predominantly handled by people other than Jobs. He has a strong influence over the direction things take but it's not the best example you could have given.

Guess Who

Banned
Jobs's role at Apple could I think be best described as "editor in chief". He didn't write the articles, but he oversaw them all, made sure they weren't shit, and provided key critical input.

Espresso

Banned
"Now software on mobile phones is like... is like baby software."

You know Jobs wanted to call it dogcrap. Best keynote ever.

Wiktor

its all jobs jobs jobs
Jobs was a marketing guru and that's what he's recognized for. That's his legacy. Nobody serious is praising him as inventor.

rezuth

Yoshiya

Jobs was a marketing guru and that's what he's recognized for. That's his legacy. Nobody serious is praising him as inventor.
Not at all. Apple have marketing geniuses, but Jobs will be remembered as an innovator and great business leader. The iPhone redefined computing, and that is no understatement. It's the watershed product of the 21st century to date and that's barely even in dispute. Jobs didn't build the thing single-handedly, but a product so far beyond what the marketplace was accustomed to cannot come about without bold and progressive leadership pushing the designers and engineers.

It'd be hard to purchase a piece of consumer technology in 2013 - be that phone, PC, tablet, app-integrated television, game console, or handheld - that hasn't been substantially influenced by the iPhone. It's as close to a historic product as the ephemeral tech sector can get.

ShowDog

Not at all. Apple have marketing geniuses, but Jobs will be remembered as an innovator and great business leader. The iPhone redefined computing, and that is no understatement. It's the watershed product of the 21st century to date and that's barely even in dispute. Jobs didn't build the thing single-handedly, but a product so far beyond what the marketplace was accustomed to cannot come about without bold and progressive leadership pushing the designers and engineers.

It'd be hard to purchase a piece of consumer technology in 2013 - be that phone, PC, tablet, app-integrated television, game console, or handheld - that hasn't been substantially influenced by the iPhone. It's as close to a historic product as the ephemeral tech sector can get.

Not to mention iPhone came out after the Apple II, Mac, Imac, and iPod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom