• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: 'Rohingya Recount Atrocities: "They Threw My Baby Into a Fire"'

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm tired of seeing my fellow countrymen come home in body bags and getting gunned down at home by terrorists. The world needs to solve its own damn problems, cuz invasions don't do shit except make things worse.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Mahonay

Banned
I can't stop thinking about this story. Fucking horrifying. Human beings are evil. Those poor people, especially the kids :(

I wish someone would intervene.

Condom

but why is the U.S. the only country? It's obvious we ceded our role as protector now, why hasnt someone else taken it up? the E.U.? Australia? GB? What the hell are they doing? this story just really... infuriates me thinking of the pain and suffering. Its unreal. Well I tweeted it to CNN/Don Lemon, not like they'll read it, but man it really needs to be mentioned.
Uhm because they are part of NATO? Aka the US empire's legion. If the US orders us to do something we will.

The US rules most of the world.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And the leader of this country is a nobel prize winner folks.

Its a situation that happens every day in this world, but the question is, is there anything anyone can do about it without making it worse?

Showaddy

There are thousands upon thousands of US troops permantely stationed in Korea mainland Japan, Okinawa Japan and many more spread out across the pacific at smaller installations.

I'd say Korea is pretty close to china.

The only reason North Korea still exists is because China wants it as a buffer between them and the US backed South Korea. China would never allow foreign troops to deploy to Burma right on their border.

Kthulhu

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Quotes mean nothing. You wanna do good in the world? Then go do something that will actually yield positive results. An invasion will only result in a worse situation for everyone.

diabl0

Im amazed people are just catching up to this news now. Its truly disgusting that news reporters especially in the UK have barely bothered to make a big deal of the Rohingya crisis which has been happening for a good number of months now regardless of the outcry. Goes to show how backward our world is. If the tables were turned and USA got a whiff of this kind of pain, itll be in the history books and populated with TV documentries with all sorts of anniversaries of the "victims". A truly backward world we live in. Theres a person on my facebook who does a lot of charity work and does live FB videos of his charitable work (Goes by the name of Wazzio) and has truly captured the horror of whats going on.

Monocle

Civilization is a delicate veil over humanity's barbarism. It takes so little to empower people to indulge in the most vile and sickening atrocities. Empathy has to be conditioned and constantly reinforced.

SKINNER!

Banned
Goes to show how backward our world is. If the tables were turned and USA got a whiff of this kind of pain, itll be in the history books and populated with TV documentries with all sorts of anniversaries of the "victims".

It also discredits the whole meaning and value of these remembrance days and documentaries. Let's remember the fallen and horror of crimes against humanity that were committed years ago and acknowledge how it should never happen again...All the while we just conveniently forget that these atrocious acts and calculated deaths are committed somewhere else in this world to this very day.

Real time genocide is happening as we speak and we can barely get 3 pages on it on GAF which can be pretty conscientious.. Shameful. This story has not been mentioned on ANY major news network and the only paper is NYT.

This is an absolutely horrific story, it needs more waves being made. A fucking baby was thrown into a fire as the mom was gang raped. Jesus Christ why am I just hearing about this now and I watch CNN/MSNBC daily? .

Either because they are Muslim, or like Sudan, the Congo, Sierra Leone etc, people simply don't care because the stories have no celebrity in them.

On your first point, there was another thread on this matter and I bumped it despite it barely reaching a couple of pages and nothing as well. It really upset me at how little coverage and interest people have on this matter.

Even on this site, people aren't aware or don't care about what's going on because it's not being talked about massively or getting a lot of coverage. It's prime time racism and genocide and one of the main reasons is because this genocide is happening to Muslims. On your final point, that's exactly what's going on. Myanmar will very much get away with this and Bangladesh will have thousands of damaged and likely vengeful people in their nation willing to cause trouble in the future. This is exactly how Islam terrorism begins. The people of that background over the past century have continuously been pushed to the extremes to cause even more damage to the world and this will likely not be any different.

Best thing we can hope for is the Nobel prize being revoked and that will cause more people to tune in. As it stands, it's just Muslims getting what they deserve in the eyes of a lot of the western world.

Best wishes.

What is the point of the fucking UN if we can't stop shit like this?

What's the fucking point? Is this just a club for nations to circle jerk each other? Why isn't the US invading this place? Why isn't the UK going to topple the government of this place?

The hypocrisy is maddening and despair inducing.

It's not the US or UKs job to invade but the UN to step in right now. Also there isn't anything of interest in Myanmar for them so they don't care.

. An invasion will only result in a worse situation for everyone.

I dunno man, they're literally throwing babies in to fire , gang raping the mother , murdering her family and leaving them in a burning building.

There's at least one group of people this couldn't possibly get worse for

Monocle

What is the point of the fucking UN if we can't stop shit like this?

What's the fucking point? Is this just a club for nations to circle jerk each other? Why isn't the US invading this place? Why isn't the UK going to topple the government of this place?

The hypocrisy is maddening and despair inducing.
Your daily reminder that Saudi Arabia was elected to the UN's women's rights commission. Between that and the rise of the Pumpkin Fuhrer, reality is satire.

Please remind me again which countries are the original and Security Council members of the UN.

I know but the UN are still the ones who start the discussions. They need to make sure they don't veto.

With Trump as US president they have a ways to go to get that done.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is that these are the type of things that the UN should be stepping into but can't because of corruption and personal political gains of countries. Also that nothing will happen.

On your first point, there was another thread on this matter and I bumped it despite it barely reaching a couple of pages and nothing as well. It really upset me at how little coverage and interest people have on this matter.

Even on this site, people aren't aware or don't care about what's going on because it's not being talked about massively or getting a lot of coverage. It's prime time racism and genocide and one of the main reasons is because this genocide is happening to Muslims. On your final point, that's exactly what's going on. Myanmar will very much get away with this and Bangladesh will have thousands of damaged and likely vengeful people in their nation willing to cause trouble in the future. This is exactly how Islam terrorism begins. The people of that background over the past century have continuously been pushed to the extremes to cause even more damage to the world and this will likely not be any different.

Best thing we can hope for is the Nobel prize being revoked and that will cause more people to tune in. As it stands, it's just Muslims getting what they deserve in the eyes of a lot of the western world.

Best wishes.

That's a pretty astounding level of malevolence you're applying to what is in reality complete apathy. This isn't about hate, it's about shrugging and going "oh dear, that's horrible" and then moving on with ones life realizing nothing can be done.

Kthulhu

I dunno man, they're literally throwing babies in to fire , gang raping the mother , murdering her family and leaving them in a burning building.

There's at least one group of people this couldn't possibly get worse for

I dunno man, maybe actions have long and far reaching consequences, and could ultimately lead to a prolonged conflict and the deaths of thousands of people.

If you feel really strongly about this and not sure how to help, you can donate to the UN Refugee Agency, they are providing aid to the Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.

Yes. Please do this so you can actually help.

TarNaru33

Banned
Have you not paid attention to the US's actions post WW2?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

We can spout out all the meaningless quotes you want. Facts are the world has no right to invade this country, it's not our problem and an invasion would only make things worse, not better.

This isn't ISIS or some other ragtag army, it's a country's military with modern weapons and jets.

This isn't true, for example, if a U.N resolution was made for a military intervention it would be fully legal. No right to invade a country committing genocide, one of the very reasons the U.N exist is a false belief. Rights can be taken away depending on the crime.

LOL... Are you using Mayanmar's army as a reason to be against it? Maybe you should talk to Iraq. Vietnam was an example of U.S tying it's hands behind it's back and North Korea took a Chinese intervention to deadlock it right next to their border. Just saying, their military isn't a reason to do nothing.

I truly don't like pacifist on this level. Not sure how you think the refugee thing is a solution, maybe part of a solution that is temporary. At some point you have to ask yourself just how many people are you willing to let die while being against intervention before realizing it only added to the death count and atrocities committed.

I do agree with you on donating to refugee organizations, because that is what most of us can easily do when the country does not care about the issue enough to even give it a front page on their big news sites. I disagree with you to the death saying a country can commit genocide while you spout "no right to intervene" or "not our problem", it is a problem for humanity, then it is our problem.

Uhm because they are part of NATO? Aka the US empire's legion. If the US orders us to do something we will.

The US rules most of the world.

No, this is because E.U downsized their military due to the peace that we have obtained in this world with a U.S ally being the only superpower in the world. They had no reason to keep a huge army, which unfortunately puts a lot of burden on U.S for interventions.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
That's a pretty astounding level of malevolence you're applying to what is in reality complete apathy. This isn't about hate, it's about shrugging and going "oh dear, that's horrible" and then moving on with ones life realizing nothing can be done.
It's a particularly weird sentiment to ascribe to people when plenty of other non-Muslim minorities have been slaughtered over the years with minimal reaction from the West--including the mass killing of Buddhists by Bangladeshis, in fact.

In addition to that, the Myanmar military is currently involved in slaughtering many other non-Muslim minorities as it battles long-running insurgencies across the country. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conflict_in_Myanmar) Those deaths are getting even less attention than the Rohingya. Does that mean Westerners hate these other minorities even more than Muslims?

I'm tired of seeing my fellow countrymen come home in body bags and getting gunned down at home by terrorists. The world needs to solve its own damn problems, cuz invasions don't do shit except make things worse.
If my countrymen are going to come in bodybags, it better be for stopping a genocide like in Myanmar, as opposed to poorly thought out excursions for oil in middle east.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yup. An absolute disgrace. Then again Yasser Arafat won it at some point too. But still, this here is just absurdly monstrous.

Can Nobel Prizes be revoked?

Obama also won it amusingly enough.

I don't think they can be, otherwise i think they would have revoked hers already just based on the fact that she rebuked the international community when asked about her silence

Rush_Khan

It's a particularly weird sentiment to ascribe to people when plenty of other non-Muslim minorities have been slaughtered over the years with minimal reaction from the West--including the mass killing of Buddhists by Bangladeshis, in fact.

In addition to that, the Myanmar military is currently involved in slaughtering many other non-Muslim minorities as it battles long-running insurgencies across the country. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conflict_in_Myanmar) Those deaths are getting even less attention than the Rohingya. Does that mean Westerners hate these other minorities even more than Muslims?

Please do not turn this into an oppression contest. Of course, there is probably more ethnic cleansing being committed to other minorities in Myanmar (we will never know since no one is allowed in those regions to report), but the ones that are getting reported, people are being apathetic towards those people. More like racism disguised as apathy, imo, particularly from powerful governments.

Kimawolf

Please do not turn this into an oppression contest. Of course, there is probably more ethnic cleansing being committed to other minorities in Myanmar (we will never know since no one is allowed in those regions to report), but the ones that are getting reported, people are being apathetic towards those people. More like racism disguised as apathy, imo, particularly from powerful governments.
Exactly.

You can feign ignorance if you dont know about oppression. But if you see actual reports of genocide and barbaric behavior and do nothing then it is definitely not pure apathy. Its a level of benign neglect and racism which builds up over time in a society which leads to this kind of not caring and almost blind, ignorant evil.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
At least they showed this on the news here. One woman talked about how she was gangraped and another told the story of how her husband's throat was slit and her son murdered right in front of her. Horrific just to listen to those stories.

Thanks for that donation link, I'll donate money since that's the least I - and we all - can do.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I think you're missing my intent. It's not about showing an oppression contest, it's about the clear fact that the Western world has ignored these sorts of atrocities in many places, at many times, against many minorities. That's why it's wrong to say that no one's doing anything because the world just hates Muslims.

Also, you shouldn't shrug your shoulders and say "we'll never know" when it comes to the other killings I linked. We do know! The evidence is there. It's just not highlighted in the media.

Rush_Khan

I think you're missing my intent. It's not about showing an oppression contest, it's about the clear fact that the Western world has ignored these sorts of atrocities in many places, at many times, against many minorities. That's why it's wrong to say that no one's doing anything because the world just hates Muslims.

Also, you shouldn't shrug your shoulders and say "we'll never know" when it comes to the other killings I linked. We do know! The evidence is there. It's just not highlighted in the media.
There are a lot of horrors around the world daily, but this thread is about Rohingya villagers. Feel free to post a thread for an article about attrocities to other minorities. It will help to spread the word a bit more.

The poster you are quoting obviously over-exaggerated, but I mean, at this point, can you really argue that most of the world doesn't hate muslims? (I don't blame those people, of course, it's mostly due to the failings of the media.)

Kolx

Just another proof that "human rights" is bullshit that the west use to pressure other countries whenever they feel like it. Fucking disgusting. And yeah fuck Aung San Suu Kyi too.

Kthulhu

This isn't true, for example, if a U.N resolution was made for a military intervention it would be fully legal. No right to invade a country committing genocide, one of the very reasons the U.N exist is a false belief. Rights can be taken away depending on the crime.

LOL... Are you using Mayanmar's army as a reason to be against it? Maybe you should talk to Iraq. Vietnam was an example of U.S tying it's hands behind it's back and North Korea took a Chinese intervention to deadlock it right next to their border. Just saying, their military isn't a reason to do nothing.

I truly don't like pacifist on this level. Not sure how you think the refugee thing is a solution, maybe part of a solution that is temporary. At some point you have to ask yourself just how many people are you willing to let die while being against intervention before realizing it only added to the death count and atrocities committed.

I do agree with you on donating to refugee organizations, because that is what most of us can easily do when the country does not care about the issue enough to even give it a front page on their big news sites. I disagree with you to the death saying a country can commit genocide while you spout "no right to intervene" or "not our problem", it is a problem for humanity, then it is our problem.

No, this is because E.U downsized their military due to the peace that we have obtained in this world with a U.S ally being the only superpower in the world. They had no reason to keep a huge army, which unfortunately puts a lot of burden on U.S for interventions.

It's not the United States responsibility to unilaterally invade a country to stop genocide. Get the UN to do a resolution, but I'm tired of the US being the world police, because we fuck it up every time.

Just look at all the intervention we did in the 20th century and look how that worked out. You don't even have to look back that far, just look at the past 16 years and that should give you plenty of reasons for not getting involved.

By all means use diplomatic and economic pressure to try and stop this or get a resolution that results in the world collectively trying to stop this, but I'm tired of the endless wars.

Even if you invade, how do you think it will all end? Do you overthrow the government? Create a new country for the Rohingya? What's your ideal solution?

If my countrymen are going to come in bodybags, it better be for stopping a genocide like in Myanmar, as opposed to poorly thought out excursions for oil in middle east.

I'd rather people not die for something that's not their responsibility.

TarNaru33

Banned
It's not the United States responsibility to unilaterally invade a country to stop genocide. Get the UN to do a resolution, but I'm tired of the US being the world police, because we fuck it up every time.

Just look at all the intervention we did in the 20th century and look how that worked out. You don't even have to look back that far, just look at the past 16 years and that should give you plenty of reasons for not getting involved.

By all means use diplomatic and economic pressure to try and stop this or get a resolution that results in the world collectively trying to stop this, but I'm tired of the endless wars.

Even if you invade, how do you think it will all end? Do you overthrow the government? Create a new country for the Rohingya? What's your ideal solution?

Glad you decided to change your wording. I can agree that I rather it not be a unilateral action, but waiting for an international community to agree sending aide/troops to places they do not deem in their interest is a good way to count bodies as time wastes away. Sometimes unilateral action is needed.

An invasion likely isn't even needed, bombing their army would get them to realize they need to reign in their undisciplined troops and remind them of international law. If that isn't working, then an invasion would be needed.

This of course I realize won't happen even if the U.N community overwhelming agreed, because China likely would not.

It is important to note that the Bush administration at first had no thought of needing to occupy Iraq or Afghanistan, nor did they have a plan whilst putting people who know nothing of it in charge of it. All it takes is at least caring and knowing that rebuilding a country is the first part of the plan when thinking of throwing out a government.

Afghanistan's situation would be completely different if Iraq War didn't take the stage and Iraq's situation would be completely different if Bush went in with a plan by professionals.

I'd rather people not die for something that's not their responsibility.

But it really is the world's responsibility, just because countries do not want to accept it, does not make it not so.

I am curious if you would be saying this during WW2 after the extermination camps were discovered.

"I'd rather people not die for something that's not their responsibility."

Ah, there it is.

How close do they need to live to you for it to become public responsibility? Same continent? Same country? Same state? Down the road?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ever wonder why the human penis is shaped like a plunger? Gang rape.

The design is to borne out of multiple males competing to have their sperm be 'the winner', out of presumption of a female having multiple sexual partners, but how you hop from that to 'gang rape' is another matter. We can say nature promotes and assumes multi-partner sexual activity, but I don't see how that implies or promotes rape.

Top Bottom