• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burma: Rohingya children 'beheaded and burned alive' as refugees flee to Bangladesh

It's the sad truth. If this was occurring in a western nation you wouldn't be able to avoid hearing about it. Harvey has been terrible but it really pales in comparison to how devastating south Asian flooding can be. They're usually poor nations as well so forget a swift recovery for them as well.

Oh its not just about where its happening, its about who its happening to.

Buddhists are massacring Muslims, so people don't care.

Do you think if Muslims were about to exterminate a minority population of Buddhists this wouldn't be the front page news a millions times over in Western publications? If that was the case, you'd know about it.

This has been going on for a while, now. Like I said before, the western governments were wooing Burma while this was literally happening.

Desmond

Was just about to make a thread. I've been dealing with videos of these atrocities in work for the best part of a week. Disgusted that there is little to no media coverage. Heart breaking.

Do you think if Muslims were about to exterminate a minority population of Buddhists this wouldn't be the front page news a millions times over in Western publications? If that was the case, you'd know about it.

This has been going on for a while, now. Like I said before, the western governments were wooing Burma while this was literally happening.

Yeah that's true. Already seen people claiming it's fake news and it's Muslims killing other Muslims. Doubt anything will happen either way. Just a few vague comments until the massacre is done.

Please find oil quickly, we need western attention on this.

On a more serious note, what an horrible situation, the silence around it is deafening, it's rwanda bis as someone rightly pointing it out. It's really maddening to see how ineffective the UN is. With this and the war in Syria, i really wish that the UN would be the stronger player worldwide. It's just daydreaming of course, but it would be the best for the interest of mankind.

Yeah that's true. Already seen people claiming it's fake news and it's Muslims killing other Muslims. Doubt anything will happen either way. Just a few vague comments until the massacre is done.

Well, the destruction of a buddhist statues by talibans in the 90's got 1 million time the attention that this ongoing genocide ever got.

People get excited by confirmation bias. Buddhists killing muslims seems to political, it's boring. In the same way, christians militias doing ethnical cleansing against muslims in CAR have zero media coverage, but Boko Haram got a lot in Nigeria.

I'm just sick of this.

Was just about to make a thread. I've been dealing with videos of these atrocities in work for the best part of a week. Disgusted that there is little to no media coverage. Heart breaking.

Where do you live?
Here in the UK this was one of the top stories on both BBC and ITV news tonight, while Sky news have reported on it all day.

Jackpot

Banned
She doesn't control the military.

Anyway I guess the Burmese finally won. They kicked the muslims out that they hate so much.

She sure seems an enthusiastic fan of their crimes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sts-for-misinformation-about-myanmar-violence

Aung San Suu Kyi says 'terrorists' are misinforming world about Myanmar violence

Aung San Suu Kyi has blamed “terrorists” for “a huge iceberg of misinformation” about violence in western Myanmar that has forced more than 140,000 Rohingya refugees into neighbouring Bangladesh.

Myanmar has been laying landmines across parts of its border with Bangladesh in recent days, government sources in Dhaka have told Reuters. The sources speculated that mines have been placed to prevent Rohingya refugees from returning to Rakhine state.

By the way, Turkey proposed paying all the Rohingya refugee expenses to Bangladesh. Not sure if it went through or not, but Bangladesh is one of the poorest (and populous) countries on earth.
How frickin' ironic and pathetic that the authorian president who vehemently denies the Armenian genocide and verbally attacks anyone abroad who mentions it, is the only political power who seems willing to do or say anything about this genocide.

Don't expect world governments, particularly in the west, to actually do anything about it, south-east asia is just too far away for them to care enough. If they didn't bother to step in and do anything about Duterte's 'anti-drug-user' genocide that already killed 12.000 people, they won't for this one either. Unless footage of beheaded children somehow ends up on the big, mainstream news channels and people rise up in protest.

s_mirage

But yeah uh, seems like Kyi's not gonna step in anytime soon.

Not a surprise. It's been clear for some time that despite being held up as some kind of hero for years, Aung San Suu Kyi's not really a very nice person and is a grade-A hypocrite.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So Aung San Suu Kyi is as much of a fraud of a Peace Prize winner as Henry Kissinger? Quite the tainted legacy that award has.
She is the epitome of the phrase "Fuck you, I got mine,"

She faced oppression for decades and celebrates freedom by becoming a part of the oppression of a minority.

She even has the nerve to accuse them of causing this and denies that the level of ethnic cleansing us going on. Truly shouting "lalala" while the military commits near genocidal acts.

She should have the Nobel prize revoked and sanctions renewed. The country has went nowhere since she was released other than to renew their focus on killing Muslims instead of each other.

How frickin' ironic and pathetic that the authorian president who vehemently denies the Armenian genocide and verbally attacks anyone abroad who mentions it, is the only political power who seems willing to do or say anything about this genocide.

Don't expect world governments, particularly in the west, to actually do anything about it, south-east asia is just too far away for them to care enough. If they didn't bother to step in and do anything about Duterte's 'anti-drug-user' genocide that already killed 12.000 people, they won't for this one either. Unless footage of beheaded children somehow ends up on the big, mainstream news channels and people rise up in protest.

Well, there was a report on it for the BBC yesterday, so that's... something. It seems to be having some purchase, but with the US embroiled in hurricanes and Korean tensions, and the UK its continuing standoff with the EU over our near future, I'm not sure people will spare it second thought for too long.

Just in case you needed more fuel to hate the sociopath that is Aung San Suu Kyi. She's denied ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya muslims, and now she's on to say this is all fake news designed to help the terrorists.

_97683574_29ff26e0-53fb-4442-abdc-817080b163ef.jpg

Rohingya crisis: Suu Kyi says 'fake news helping terrorists' (BBC)

She says there's a lot of fake news photographs going around with the aim of helping Rohingya terrorists. Which is true, in some cases. However, the government hasn't allowed media access to the troubled areas. UN and humans rights bodies are not allowed to go these places to confirm what's real and what's misinformation.

Rohingya militants did attack police posts, so the military mounted a counter-offensive, but Rohingyan families are reporting that security forces along with armed Buddhist civilians are burning villages and opening fire. However, Col Phone Tint (Myanmar's Minister in charge of border security at Rakhine) that the destruction of villages was being caused by militants so that the muslims flee to Bangladesh.

Then Bangladesh gov't sources are saying that Myanmar forces have been placing landmines along the border, and these allegations come after 2 children and a woman were injured as blasts were heard. Myanmar did place mines back in the 90s, but we don't know if these are recent mines.

But on Monday, Ms Suu Kyi's spokesman Zaw Htay questioned who exactly had placed the explosives.
"Who can surely say those mines were not laid by the terrorists?" he asked Reuters.​
Even Suu Kyi's biographer said she's in the army's pocket.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh doesn't want to recognise Rohingya as refugees, deporting them back. Government of Dhaka suggested refugees to go to a low-lying island which is at risk of flooding and has no roads going into Bay of Bengal.

India is even worse. Mr Modi has vowed to kick out 40,000 Rohingya from his country.

It's the sad truth. If this was occurring in a western nation you wouldn't be able to avoid hearing about it. Harvey has been terrible but it really pales in comparison to how devastating south Asian flooding can be. They're usually poor nations as well so forget a swift recovery for them as well.

I think its definitely more the latter in terms of our exposure to it but yeah, if this was happening in a country that most Western people were familiar with (i.e. anywhere in the West) then it'd be everywhere.

-Silver-

Yeah, no doubt it's not just years, poor choice of wording.

Not making excuses for Burma, but we sometimes forget that, despite Aung San Suu Kyi's high profile and activism, the country for years was a Southeast Asia version of North Korea, and a lot of problems lead to that.

The fact that some people are awarded for their work in bringing peace in one area or aspect, they aren't necessarily flawless or without the beliefs or sins of their own country.

It wouldn't surprise me if Aung San Suu Kyi has held the same prejudices as the rest of her country for years, or at least, never thought she would have to deal with the problem.
She does. She was invited to an interview in the UK and was disgusted by the fact that the interviewer was a Muslim

NEO0MJ

Why does everyone one hate the the Rohingya people so much, shits fucking disgusting.

If I remember right they were transferred there during the colonial period (not 100% sure of this) and since the British left and country became independent the people of Myanmar say they don't belong there and should be kicked out.

As for why the west ignores it, they're Muslim central Asians in a country that doesn't offer too much for them, other than cheap labor.

akinkcl

Neo Member
Not many care about this corner of the Earth and the human rights crisis going on.

The Burmese army is carrying out genocide.
The Thai army is locking up journalists and politicians they don't agree with while securing power even after 'free' elections.
The Cambodian government just shut down the last remaining non independent newspaper after jailing the leader of the opposition.
The Philippines elected a psycho war lord with high popularity.
The Vietnamese leaders are locking up people who criticize the government on Facebook.

The whole of South-East Asia is in trouble and no one cares until it's too later we end up with another killing Fields.

It is all about cheap shoes and shirts.. £40 Nikes

Why does everyone one hate the the Rohingya people so much, shits fucking disgusting.

Because outside of groups like Turkey worrying about them as Muslim brethren, none of the parties involved feel like the Rohingya 'belong' to them, and thus there is no obligation to care for them beyond very broad abstracts of human decency. To Myanmar, they're Indian foreigners who cling to a foreign religion, which is the basis by which they're denied citizenship. While to Bangladesh and India, the Rohingya are foreigners who were never born in those countries, and with no path to citizenship, they will never be part of them. Plus caring for refugees incurs a financial burden that even the richest nations in the world have shown they're not entirely willing to bear, so for countries slightly lower down the rankings with much higher populations (whether in absolute terms or density), the desire to bear those costs is even lower. To the west, they're muslims, and unlike others, they have no means of arriving on our shores. So, as we're not forced to help them, we won't.

Sheer apathy on almost every fucking side.

Whats the reason?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_insurgency_in_Western_Myanmar

It is a long read but basically their was an attempt by the Muslims from that region to have Pakistan annex tge region and have it be a part of modern day Bangledesh. When that fell through they moved to an independence movement and over the years pulled assistance from various other Muslim majority nations and groups such as al Qaeda. The vast majority of Rohingya are uninvolved however.

You hear shit like this in you want to cry out how broke the world is.

The UN is meant to stop shit like this. Instead it's been bent and twisted to every powers will and the worst evil in human hearts is allowed to run rampant.

There is a 1982 Burma citizenship law where Rohingya can be accepted as citizens, however you have to prove your your ancestors were there before 1823 (the beginning of British occupation of Arakan State). So there can an ulterior motive for the Myanmar military to destroy the villages, to deny Rohingya muslims of citizenship in this way.

casiopao

This is more complex situation though. There is ARSA which literally is AL Qaeda on Myanmar where they launch simulateous attack on 30 army post and stole many of the military weapons.

Which is why the military retaliate heavily on the Rohinyas.(Still the fact that they attack civilian is something which should not happen at all.)

I mean, even Bangladesh want none of the refugees right now.
https://www.google.co.id/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1AX16T

We can only for the best for all sides to reach agreement there.

eizarus

Banned
Aung San Suu Kyi is a fucking cunt and the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke. Fuck all these wanker media outlets and governments who are always quick to start screaming about justice and morals when it suits them, but behave like pathetic nobs while this has been going on. For over a year.

had to get that off my chest, this shit is making me too sad
??????

Fuck, and I thought Buddhism was one of the handful peaceful religions...
If there's humans following it, there's always gonna be a group who are violent. There's no such thing as a uniformly peaceful people. Sri Lanka has a radical Bhuddist faction called Bodu Bala Sena.

I-hate-u

Muslims are prosecuted but no one is reporting, and no one is blaming Buddhism. What would the story be if it was the opposite?

God be with those innocent people.

People are saying its insane how little coverage this is getting, but even on Gaf not many people are aware or even discuss to greater lengths without it becoming a shitshow about how religion is bullshit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...bed-in-the-making_us_59bd6fd4e4b02c642e4a1717

This is scary stuff. This is exactly what terrorist groups feed off of. I would have a very hard time convincing a Rohingya that not all Buddhists are like this... I mean look at what's going on. Myanmar's government and extremists groups are taking full advantage of how the western media are more concerned by muslim terrorists and the middle east/North Korea, that this is only feeding the muslim hatred further if more angry muslims start to fight back.

What's also concerning is how the military aren't afraid to fly over Bangladesh's fly zone with helicopters. Keep stirring shit up, and we will have another dangerous fight over there in one of the poorest and populous countries in the world.

It's sickening what's going on there, but even more sickening and incredibly disappointing how little we hear about this on the news. I mean it's actively going on as we speak.

Best wishes.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Muslims are prosecuted but no one is reporting, and no one is blaming Buddhism. What would the story be if it was the opposite?

God be with those innocent people.

The right-wing internet (especially the_donald) is actively mocking the idea of Buddhist terrorists and are calling the Rohingya the instigators of this. This story just doesn't fit into some people's worldview.

The right-wing internet (especially the_donald) is actively mocking the idea of Buddhist terrorists and are calling the Rohingya the instigators of this. This story just doesn't fit into some people's worldview.

I mean even on Neogaf you have people calling for "nuances", pointing out Al Qaeda responsibility. Good job RT.

If you really care about ending this and live in the west, contact your representative and urge them to support and fight for a full scale military invasion of Myanmar, and urge everyone you know to do the same.

Nothing else is going to make a real difference.

mlclmtckr

Banned
If you really care about ending this and live in the west, contact your representative and urge them to support and fight for a full scale military invasion of Myanmar, and urge everyone you know to do the same.

Nothing else is going to make a real difference.

This is wrong and frankly anti-reality. Look at how much military intervention helped in Iraq. We can't solve these kinds of problems by bombing the shit out of people and putting boots on the ground.

And anyway there are a lot of other things that could be done. Diplomatic, economic, cultural channels.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hitler was a Nobel Peace prize nominee as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hitler was a Nobel Peace prize nominee as well.

It was a satirical nomination:
https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/facts/peace/
Adolf Hitler was nominated once in 1939. Incredulous though it may seem today, the Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1939, by a member of the Swedish parliament, an E.G.C. Brandt. Apparently though, Brandt never intended the nomination to be taken seriously. Brandt was to all intents and purposes a dedicated antifascist, and had intended this nomination more as a satiric criticism of the current political debate in Sweden. (At the time, a number of Swedish parliamentarians had nominated then British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlin for the Nobel Peace Prize, a nomination which Brandt viewed with great skepticism. ) However, Brandt's satirical intentions were not well received at all and the nomination was swiftly withdrawn in a letter dated 1 February 1939.

Aung San Suu Kyi actually won the prize. Granted, it was over 25 years ago, but yeah.

Kimawolf

People are saying its insane how little coverage this is getting, but even on Gaf not many people are aware or even discuss to greater lengths without it becoming a shitshow about how religion is bullshit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...bed-in-the-making_us_59bd6fd4e4b02c642e4a1717

This is scary stuff. This is exactly what terrorist groups feed off of. I would have a very hard time convincing a Rohingya that not all Buddhists are like this... I mean look at what's going on. Myanmar's government and extremists groups are taking full advantage of how the western media are more concerned by muslim terrorists and the middle east/North Korea, that this is only feeding the muslim hatred further if more angry muslims start to fight back.

What's also concerning is how the military aren't afraid to fly over Bangladesh's fly zone with helicopters. Keep stirring shit up, and we will have another dangerous fight over there in one of the poorest and populous countries in the world.

It's sickening what's going on there, but even more sickening and incredibly disappointing how little we hear about this on the news. I mean it's actively going on as we speak.

Best wishes.

And THIS is why terrorist groups continue to get recruits. As shitty as they are, if you had to choose between ISIS or being gang raped by soldiers while your kids are thrown in fires and beheaded in front of you, you will choose ISIS. Especially since the West gives no fucks.

Sickening.

Top Bottom