• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burma: Rohingya children 'beheaded and burned alive' as refugees flee to Bangladesh

Rohingya children have been beheaded and civilians burned alive, according to witness testimony amid claims that Burma's military and paramilitary forces are committing "genocide" or a "pogrom" against the Muslim minority in the country’s western Rakhine state.

Around 60,000 refugees are believed to have fled over the country’s western border into Bangladesh in a just a week following a clampdown on Rohingya militants.
A man named as Abdul Rahman, 41, said he had survived a five-hour attack on Chut Pyin village.

He told Fortifiy Rights, a charity working in the area, that a group of Rohingya men had been rounded up and detained in a bamboo hut, which was then set on fire.

"My brother was killed, [Burmese soldiers] burned him with the group,” he said.

“We found [my other family members] in the fields. They had marks on their bodies from bullets and some had cuts.

"My two nephews, their heads were off. One was six years old and the other was nine years old. My sister-in-law was shot with a gun.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...urned-alive-refugees-bangladesh-a7926521.html

More heartbreaking than this story is the absolute, deafening silence from rest of the world and Aang Suu Kyi in particular. What a hypocrite.

By the way, Turkey proposed paying all the Rohingya refugee expenses to Bangladesh. Not sure if it went through or not, but Bangladesh is one of the poorest (and populous) countries on earth.

How in the fuck a person could live with themself after doing that to a child, or giving the order to, is absolutely beyond me. Absolutely disgusting.

More heartbreaking than this story is the absolute, deafening silence from rest of the world and Aang Suu Kyi in particular. What a hypocrite.

By the way, Turkey proposed paying all the Rohingya refugee expenses to Bangladesh. Not sure if it went through or not, but Bangladesh is one of the poorest (and populous) countries on earth.

Yep, it's disappointing and saddenning how little coverage it's gotten.

Monsters, the lot of these horrid folks.

Jumeira

Banned
Awful, if there's any relief effort people here suggest let me know, happily make a donation.

Shame on the defacto leader, if she chooses to remain silent as children are being massacred she's demonstrated she tolerates evil and is horrid human and nullifies any form of peace she stands for.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How in the fuck a person could live with themself after doing that to a child, or giving the order to, is absolutely beyond me. Absolutely disgusting.

The same way it's always done.

"God approved of it. What we did was righteous."

UberTag

Nobel prize winner lol what a joke we live in.
Not just any Nobel prize, either. The Peace prize. She was the youngest ever recipient of said honor.

If she was able to win the nobel peace prize Trump might have a chance to win the physics one.
Can Scott Pruitt win the Goldman Environmental Prize? That sounds right up his alley.
And Ben Carson can win the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
And Betsy DeVos can be named a Nobel laureate.

The same way it's always done.

"God approved of it. What we did was righteous."
Funny how they always have the inside line to what God wants them to do.
I keep trying to call the guy and all I get is a busy signal.

Hycran

Banned
This was reported a few days ago by Al-Jazeera on the ground and I knew it would get worse before it got better. Buddhists have been killing Muslims in the area for years now and have only been emboldened by a lack of concerted effort by the Burmese govermnent to stop such behaviours.

Guess we can add Buddhists to the list of peaceful religions in the world. In other news, Atheists continue to mind their own business.

hirokazu

Can they strip Aung San Suu Kyi of her Nobel Peace Prize? Seems like peace only matters to her when she's the one being persecuted.

Read up on this yesterday. Military's claiming they're responding to attacks by dissidents, but are restricting access for observers and for foreign aid. You know, as you do.

Also the first time that I learned the Rohingya are technically stateless due to the basis of citizenship from the 1982 Citizenship Law. To be a full citizen, one must be the descendant of a recognised resident of the country from before 1823 - usually being part of an ethnic group will work fine so long as the state basically says 'well yeah, you guys were here before that, we all know that'.

The Rohingya are not one of those people. And since the only country most of them have ever known won't give them citizenship, they are stateless. Moreover, it means casualties are not seen as those of fellow citizens...

Whats the reason?
They hate them.

Satellite images from August 31st:

170904125709-hrw-rohingya-village-exlarge-169.jpg

That's a burned down village.

hirokazu

This was reported a few days ago by Al-Jazeera on the ground and I knew it would get worse before it got better. Buddhists have been killing Muslims in the area for years now and have only been emboldened by a lack of concerted effort by the Burmese govermnent to stop such behaviours.
The military is reportedly responsible for many attacks as retailiation for an Rohingya uprising.

The government denies that the military is responsible but has also prevented UN inspectors from assessing the situation.

DrSlek

She doesn't control the military.

Anyway I guess the Burmese finally won. They kicked the muslims out that they hate so much.

She's foreign minister for the government. As far as can be told, she's not speaking out against this shit, or doing anything to try and protect these people. She actively tries to dismiss reports of human rights abuses in her country. This is without even going into her apparent prejudice against muslims.

She's complicit.

Demoskinos

Ugh. Chills. No child should have to ever experience those kind of horrors. People in general, really but especially children.

I try to generally want to believe that the human race generally leans toward being kind and supportive of each other but shit like this just makes me think that humans shouldn't exist.

Were so incredibly destructive as a species and largely to each other.

entremet

Not just any Nobel prize, either. The Peace prize. She was the youngest ever recipient of said honor.

Can Scott Pruitt win the Goldman Environmental Prize? That sounds right up his alley.
And Ben Carson can win the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
And Betsy DeVos can be named a Nobel laureate.

Funny how they always have the inside line to what God wants them to do.
I keep trying to call the guy and all I get is a busy signal.
They’re Buddhists, which is inherently non deist.

This just shows that tribalism is a poison, no matter the ideology. It’s a human problem.

I almost want someone to take pics and videos of beheaded children and send them to CNN. That's the only way to get attention.

There are already images floating around, one with a woman holding her beheaded child in her arms which can be found on twitter.

Another with someone standing on a baby.

Its nothing new, sadly. Read about the Rape of Nanking. When you otherize a group too much, this is what you risk.

They see the Rohingya as foreigners (even though they were born in the country) who don't deserve to live there.

Yeah, aren't they actively denied any rights of citizenship?
There are something like over 100 recognized ethnic groups in Myanmar, and the gov't there actively refuses to recognize the Rohingya, leaving them open to this utter cruelty.
It's state-sponsored fanaticism turned genocide.

Yeah, aren't they actively denied any rights of citizenship? There are something like over 100 recognized ethnic groups in Myanmar, and the gov't there refuses to recognize the Rohingya.

Posted about that above. Basically the government roots citizenship in explicit ethnic terms, and the Rohingya are considered outside of that, due to presumptions of their ancestry coming from India instead.

Guess we can add Buddhists to the list of peaceful religions in the world. In other news, Atheists continue to mind their own business.
//
When have atheists ever minded their own business??

This has been going on for a while. It's a shame we've got spineless leaders globally because you would hope wider coverage would amount to something but expect most will agree to ignore. Bangladesh isn't a country equipped to help that amount of people.

Joeytj

Banned
She's foreign minister for the government. As far as can be told, she's not speaking out against this shit, or doing anything to try and protect these people. She actively tries to dismiss reports of human rights abuses in her country. This is without even going into her apparent prejudice against muslims.

She's complicit.

Yeah, but it's also part of why she isn't allowed to be the country's de jure leader. The military still holds much power, too much.

But, in a way, it was the deal she made with the military: Allow her to be the face of the nation to the world and share power, but internal affairs is still partially controlled by the military.

From what I've read, she has little power to control the military. Her or her party in government.

It's still disgusting. It's not just this tho, it's years of tensions, racism and discrimination towards Muslims inside a Buddhist majority nation.

Also, the NY Times actually just published this today:

The Nobel Committee, all Norwegian citizens appointed by the country's Parliament, has never rescinded a prize and will not in Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi's case either, said Gunnar Stalsett, a former committee member.

”A peace prize has never been revoked and the committee does not issue condemnations or censure laureates," said Mr. Stalsett, a former politician and bishop who was a deputy member of the committee in 1991, when Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi received her award.

”The principle we follow is the decision is not a declaration of a saint," Mr. Stalsett said. ”When the decision has been made and the award has been given, that ends the responsibility of the committee."

bionic77

Sadly it's actually better that Trump stays silent on this issue.

He would say the worst thing possible if he actually spoke to what is going on and would probably blame the victims.

AS with all religions, it depends on the sect.

Not really. Different schools of Buddhism can differ on a lot, but reifying some kind of absolute ground of being isn't something that any can really get away with. God can't really be a thing in Buddhism for the same reason that anicca essentially always has to be a thing in Buddhism.

But you don't need God for this kind of prejudice.

This has been going on for a while. It's a shame we've got spineless leaders globally because you would hope wider coverage would amount to something but expect most will agree to ignore. Bangladesh isn't a country equipped to help that amount of people.

non white lives are just worth less in the west. Yemen has been in a humanitarian crisis for awhile now but it barely gets any coverage. Compare the coverage of harvey with the amount of coverage the floodings in south asia got.
Not really. Different schools of Buddhism can differ on a lot, but reifying some kind of absolute ground of being isn't something that any can really get away with.

But you don't need God for this kind of prejudice.

isn't there a lot of ancestor and/or idol worship in the non pure buddhist denominations?

I almost want someone to take pics and videos of beheaded children and send them to CNN. That's the only way to get attention.

That wouldn't convince a corporation like CNN, as tragic as that fact is. There is little to be gained financially from highlighting these despicable war crimes, as far as too many news outlets are concerned, as it's too esoteric a link to their viewers as to how such crimes took place, and how it relates to America. Odds are it would be buried by whatever the piss-loving demagogue last tweeted about, since that's easier to digest than actual genocide unfolding before our eyes.

Then again, there's absolutely no chance the world will hear about killings like this if there isn't even an attempt at engaging the likes of CNN. It would no doubt affect people to see it, rather than read it.

Joeytj

Banned
Sadly it's actually better that Trump stays silent on this issue.

He would say the worst thing possible if he actually spoke to what is going on and would probably blame the victims.

Ugh, agree. It's not like the world is looking to him for leadership anymore.

And I doubt he would say anything about Muslims being persecuted anyway.

Top Bottom