• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Vatican officially denounces Irish same-sex marriage vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So, we've gone from "Who am I to judge?", to "a defeat for humanity" in a pretty short span of time. I thought this Pope seemed too open-minded to be true.

ROME — In the Vatican’s eyes, the referendum in Ireland that legalized same-sex marriage last week was a “defeat for humanity,” a top Vatican official said in remarks published late on Tuesday.

“I was very saddened by this result,” said Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican secretary of state, according to the Vatican Radio website. “I don’t think we can speak only about a defeat for Christian principles, but a defeat for humanity.”

The Roman Catholic Church opposes same-sex marriage and regards homosexual relations as sinful, but many Catholics, especially young people in Western Europe and North America, pay little heed to the church’s teachings on the subject. In Ireland, where the vast majority of citizens consider themselves Catholic, the constitutional amendment to allow same-sex marriage passed easily, with 62 percent of votes in favor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/w...nds-vote-for-same-sex-marriage.html?referrer=

oZNQLw5.gif

Goddamnit Pope!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
...but it wasn't the Pope who said that? There are multiple factions within the Papacy, you know. Not that Francis is probably too keen on it either, but the rumours are he's pushing for the acceptance of France's proposed ambassador to the Vatican, who is gay. That would be a major step in itself.

...but it wasn't the Pope who said that? There are multiple factions within the Papacy, you know. Not that Francis is probably too keen on it either, but the rumours are he's pushing for the acceptance of France's embassy to the Vatican, who is gay. That would be a major step in itself.
The Pope didn't say that...

But "officially" denounces though. I know it's a quote from the Pope, but what do you think his stance is on this?

Cardinal Pietro Parolin is not the pope. I don't know what else you'd expect them to say. "Thanks to this referendum from a small country we've decided to change our two thousand year old doctrine".

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if the Pope will say anything on the topic at all.

Pretty disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom