• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: In Cramped and Costly Bay Area, Cries to Build, Baby, Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

An activist who calls her group BARF is pushing for more housing,
pitting cranky homeowners and the political establishment against
newcomers who want the region to make room for them, too.

San Francisco does not have enough places to live. Sonja Trauss, a local activist, thinks the city should tackle this problem by building more housing.

This may not sound like a controversial idea. But this is San Francisco.

Ms. Trauss is a self-described anarchist and the head of the SF Bay Area Renters’ Federation, an upstart political group that is pushing for more development. Its platform is simple: Members want San Francisco and its suburbs to build more of every kind of housing. More subsidized affordable housing, more market-rate rentals, more high-end condominiums.

Ms. Trauss supports all of it so long as it is built tall, and soon. “You have to support building, even when it’s a type of building you hate,” she said. “Is it ugly? Get over yourself. Is it low-income housing? Get over yourself. Is it luxury housing? Get over yourself. We really need everything right now.”

In San Francisco, though, things get weird. Here the tech boom is clashing with tough development laws and resentment from established residents who want to choke off growth to prevent further change.

Ms. Trauss is the result: a new generation of activist whose pro-market bent is the opposite of the San Francisco stereotypes — the lefties, the aging hippies and tolerance all around.

Ms. Trauss’s cause, more or less, is to make life easier for real estate developers by rolling back zoning regulations and environmental rules. Her opponents are a generally older group of progressives who worry that an influx of corporate techies is turning a city that nurtured the Beat Generation into a gilded resort for the rich.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/business/economy/san-francisco-housing-tech-boom-sf-barf.html?_r=0

Bubba T

I wouldn't say it is just supply that is a cause of the issue of Bay Area housing, but lack of supply of affordable housing. There are luxury apartments available for those who can afford to pay top dollar, while those making relatively average wages can't keep up.

I'm actually wondering why the development laws have not been repealed or at least modified? It seems to be a growing problem but its being held back due to laws made decades ago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
San Francisco proper is tiny. There's basically nowhere to build without knocking down neighborhoods and a significant portion of those neighborhoods are built on sand and landfill that doesn't support high rise physics.

And that's ignoring subjectives like architectural character, which San Francisco has a very legitimate claim to and is unlike any other us city.

kirblar

I wouldn't say it is just supply that is a cause of the issue of Bay Area housing, but lack of supply of affordable housing. There are luxury apartments available for those who can afford to pay top dollar, while those making relatively average wages can't keep up.

I'm actually wondering why the development laws have not been repealed or at least modified? It seems to be a growing problem but its being held back due to laws made decades ago.
You get affordable housing by increasing supply. The problem is that the upper classes don't want that supply to exist.

NIMBYism is a huge problem in Urban development. The cities that escape this issue normally due so because their zoning/development restrictions are codified at the state level, not local, and thus can't be warped.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/28/6063679/the-biggest-thing-the-blue-states-are-screwing-up

Tripon

The current movements to increase affordable housing at least in SF is about protecting existing housing, not create new one.

SF and its surrounding areas need to build much of everything, because the current situation is pricing almost but the very wealthy out.

San Francisco proper is tiny. There's basically nowhere to build without knocking down neighborhoods and a significant portion of those neighborhoods are built on sand and landfill that doesn't support high rise physics.

And that's ignoring subjectives like architectural character, which San Francisco has a very legitimate claim to and is unlike any other us city.
They don't need to be high rises. There's a lot of stupid zoning restrictions that artificially keep stock low. Like set back rules and floor height restrictions.

Hip Hop

I wonder how much housing you even have to build to satisfy the demand and lowered prices. Wouldn't it be a lot in this situation?
I dont think a few changes in the law would even make a dent.

Tripon

I wonder how much housing you even have to build to satisfy the demand and lowered prices. Wouldn't it be a lot in this situation?
Making up for the decades of neglect, yes.

It's not just SF BTW, we are facing the same situation here in L.A. I just want a 1 bed room apartment and I'm looking at 1,200-1,300 a month for it. That's almost half of my salary.

kirblar

It's not just SF BTW, we are facing the same situation here in L.A. I just want a 1 bed room apartment and I'm looking at 1,200-1,300 a month for it. That's almost half of my salary.
What's the price for a townhouse/condo out there to split 2/3 ways? (Just out of curiosity.)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
sf%20billboard.jpg

Ogodei

I think it's a generational thing. The upscale urbanites who remained in cities through the era of white flight now want to defend the "character" of their neighborhoods against what they see as corporate developer greed, but in time these people will die out and will be replaced by yuppies who just want a place to live. The new progressive activism against wealth inequality might help accelerate that, though.

The fact that a lot of these old houses are, frankly, shit should also help. Old houses that haven't had interior remodeling done suck. I'm lucky, i'm in a 100+ year old townhouse, but my landlord did work 5 years ago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They don't need to be high rises. There's a lot of stupid zoning restrictions that artificially keep stock low. Like set back rules and floor height restrictions.

They're mostly not all that stupid and properly designed to help protect quality of life for residents and homeowners. However now they help protect a significant number of millionaires and exclude many formerly tenable professions and classes like teachers, working class families and so on. High rise development ALWAYS benefits developers and here in Seattle "urban densification" is presented as a panacea but in reality just means wealthy Amazon couples can have a two bedroom condo, two cars, in a neighborhood with insufficient transit and parking in buildings with parking exemptions based on a lie about bicycles and light rail. Oh and something something percentage of affordable units(lol).

PS I lived in San Francisco for the better part of a decade and was part of the problem.

Tripon

What's the price for a townhouse/condo out there to split 2/3 ways? (Just out of curiosity.)
Depends on the area. Roughly 2,200 to 3,500. You are still looking to spend roughly a grand just on rent alone. You might be able around $800 or so on rent and utilities if you find a room to rent in a family house.

FyreWulff

I think it's a generational thing. The upscale urbanites who remained in cities through the era of white flight now want to defend the "character" of their neighborhoods against what they see as corporate developer greed, but in time these people will die out and will be replaced by yuppies who just want a place to live. The new progressive activism against wealth inequality might help accelerate that, though.

The fact that a lot of these old houses are, frankly, shit should also help. Old houses that haven't had interior remodeling done suck. I'm lucky, i'm in a 100+ year old townhouse, but my landlord did work 5 years ago.

It also doesn't help that you have multiple gajillion dollar companies in the area basically throwing the housing market out of whack because they pay people from other states with degrees to come sit and manually delete emails out of the spam log for large amounts of money.

kirblar

Depends on the area. Roughly 2,200 to 3,500. You are still looking to spend roughly a grand just on rent alone. You might be able around $800 or so on rent and utilities if you find a room to rent in a family house.
Jeez. My area (NOVA) is high but there's plenty being built in the outer areas- you can still find rooms for 5-600 and townhouses/apartments/etc a decent chunk under 2K to split.

harSon

Banned

Lol. I'd do sexual favors for a 1br apartment for 1,200 to 1,300 in San Jose. You could barely get a studio for that, and you'd probably be rubbing elbows with gang bangers and Crack heads at that price.

Large parts are with landfills. They have a bit of a problem with liquefaction where the ground really isn't very stable on top of this being an earthquake prone area.

I don't know if they're the same thing, but I'm thinking of something on the scale those islands China has been building. I was under the impression it was new technology.

ezrarh

First start by changing all SFH zones so that you can build multiple units on them - for every city in California. No one city can build themselves out of this anytime soon but you have to start there and make it easier to build multiple units everywhere.

pje122

It's not just SF BTW, we are facing the same situation here in L.A. I just want a 1 bed room apartment and I'm looking at 1,200-1,300 a month for it.
That doesn't seem unreasonable at all, especially not in a city like L.A. Not sure what your expectations are here.

Tripon

That doesn't seem unreasonable at all, especially not in a city like L.A. Not sure what your expectations are here.
My expectations is to not drive for two hours to work and back and to pay for a decent place to live. I'm not asking to live in the nicest area, but I'm looking at these prices in the Valley, which was traditionally one of the cheaper areas to live in in the city.

I didn't even check areas like downtown or West Hollywood because I know they start at $1,600 for studios.

My expectations is to not drive for two hours to work and back and to pay for a decent place to live. I'm not asking to live in the nicest area, but I'm looking at these prices in the Valley, which was traditionally one of the cheaper areas to live in in the city.

I didn't even check areas like downtown or West Hollywood because I know they start at $1,600 for studios.

It's been that way forever in L.A. though. The last time I saw a decent place for under $800 was in the 1990s.

Trouble

Banned
They're mostly not all that stupid and properly designed to help protect quality of life for residents and homeowners. However now they help protect a significant number of millionaires and exclude many formerly tenable professions and classes like teachers, working class families and so on. High rise development ALWAYS benefits developers and here in Seattle "urban densification" is presented as a panacea but in reality just means wealthy Amazon couples can have a two bedroom condo, two cars, in a neighborhood with insufficient transit and parking in buildings with parking exemptions based on a lie about bicycles and light rail. Oh and something something percentage of affordable units(lol).

PS I lived in San Francisco for the better part of a decade and was part of the problem.

Eh, outside of Downtown/Belltown/Pioneer Square densification means 6 story mixed use which I'm pretty OK with and studies seem to indicate is the 'right' way to create density.

aeolist

Banned
Her opponents are a generally older group of progressives who worry that an influx of corporate techies is turning a city that nurtured the Beat Generation into a gilded resort for the rich.

it's a bit late to be worrying about that i think

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is always a fascinating subject politically because it's often liberals fighting amongst themselves. NIMBYism seeking to preserve culture, character, and history vs. environmentally beneficial sustainable high rise development and more affordable housing for the average joe.

I don't even know how politicians begin to navigate that quagmire.

The problem now is that it'd take years and years of development to alleviate the supply issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like how San Francisco looks, so I hope it gets left alone. Let the tech culture adapt and expand elsewhere.

Part of it too is diet racism. Those opposed to affordable housing usually try to sell it as trying to 'preserve the character of the neighborhood' but it really means they don't want poor people near them and minorities are disproportionately poor.

ezrarh

Part of it too is diet racism. Those opposed to affordable housing usually try to sell it as trying to 'preserve the character of the neighborhood' but it really means they don't want poor people near them and minorities are disproportionately poor.

I think it would do the US some good if rich people had to interact with poor people more often.

Today we will pretend that San Francisco is a city which isn't bounded on 3 sides by bodies of water. The only solution in Hong Kong was to build up, and San Francisco doesn't want to build up. So they're stuck.

The problem is with the suburban sprawl in the surrounding Bay Area. It's the same problem LA has except that LA is a flat desert but the Bay Area is intersected by San Francisco Bay and further bisected by extremely hilly terrain.

milanbaros

Member?
Today we will pretend that San Francisco is a city which isn't bounded on 3 sides by bodies of water. The only solution in Hong Kong was to build up, and San Francisco doesn't want to build up. So they're stuck.

The problem is with the suburban sprawl in the surrounding Bay Area. It's the same problem LA has except that LA is a flat desert but the Bay Area is intersected by San Francisco Bay and further bisected by extremely hilly terrain.

You can have extremely high density with 5 or 6 floors.

Funny how people from these areas that are all about inclusion and equality don't want more variety of housing and incomes into their area. Hmm.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

yeah I took a trip out to San Francisco for the first time a few weeks ago and was shocked at how small it actually seemed in terms of land area

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
How bout not building in San Francisco? Move to any other city and do it you rich fucks.

FyreWulff

Funny how people from these areas that are all about inclusion and equality don't want more variety of housing and incomes into their area. Hmm.

I remember while I was in Vancouver BC, a neighborhood got low income apartments cancelled because it'd "threaten the neighborhood"

the apartments cost was 1.2 million each

Yoda

How bout not building in San Francisco? Move to any other city and do it you rich fucks.

I think this problem is in part, due to gentrification. Without new development, the only people being punished are those who are in the bottom 90-95% of income ( or w/e sub 500k is). That's high, most tech workers don't make anything close to that, neither do most doctors, etc... The zoning regulation is basically turning it into mecca for globalist elites (think downtown manhattan), but unlike manhattan, this isn't a "true" supply and demand, supply is artificially constrained and if it weren't, SF would be an order of magnitude more affordable than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom