• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

O-MG, It's time for Android O (Dev Preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Partner platform contributions: Hardware manufacturers and silicon partners have accelerated fixes and enhancements to the Android platform in the O release. For example, Sony has contributed more than 30 feature enhancements including the LDAC codec and 250 bug fixes to Android O.

And this is why Android tends to nudge ahead of ios features wise.

SliChillax

Shouldn't have to buy a new phone just to get an updated version of Android that your own less-than-2-year old Android phone is perfectly capable of running.

Well it's your fault for buying a phone that never had instant Android updates. It's not Google's fault for delaying software updates on third party Android phones. If you need instant updates so much why didn't you buy a Nexus/Pixel in the first place?

Well it's your fault for buying a phone that never had instant Android updates. It's not Google's fault for delaying software updates on third party Android phones. If you need instant updates so much why didn't you buy a Nexus/Pixel in the first place?

So Google simply don't provide it to the likes of EE (or Samsung) when a new one rolls out?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That makes your posts even more confusing then.

Anyway, does anyone know why a new OS doesn't roll out quickly for Android?
Only if you're trying to pigeonhole people, which you are. I'm just trying to dispell this nonsense propoganda people keep parroting of no fast updates to Android. There's one iPhone and there's one Google phone. If you care about OS updates, get either. If you don't, get a Samsung or whatever else you please.

hahahahahahaha I'm still on Lollipop 5.1.1 Galaxy Note 4. I don't think they will ever get fragmentation under control since they decided to let the carriers and manufacturers run amok since day one. Hope the Note 8 atleast has Android N when I upgrade.

My Note 4 is on 6.0.1 with secutity patch up to Feb 2017, maybe you should check your firmware update.

Only if you're trying to pigeonhole people, which you are. I'm just trying to dispell this nonsense propoganda people keep parroting of no fast updates to Android. There's one iPhone and there's one Google phone. If you care about OS updates, get either. If you don't, get a Samsung or whatever else you please.

I've had a Galaxy S2, Note 4 and now S7. I've never understood why updates didn't roll out across all phones fast.

Hence asking a question in this thread when it was mentioned.

Hardly spreading 'propaganda' mate...

Hasney

Shouldn't have to buy a new phone just to get an updated version of Android that your own less-than-2-year old Android phone is perfectly capable of running.

You have the most up to date OS that you phone manufacturer provides. If you don't like the service you're getting from them, then you should choose a different phone when you do upgrade.

I've had a Galaxy S2, Note 4 and now S7. I've never understood why updates didn't roll out across all phones fast.

Because Samsung want to add all their own shit to it, which then involves testing and then after that if your phone isn't unlocked, the carriers have to test their bloatware.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

SliChillax

So Google simply don't provide it to the likes of EE (or Samsung) when a new one rolls out?

The new version is always there, it's the third party manufacturers that take their sweet ass time to apply their ugly and slower skins and make it worse. On top of that carriers somehow also delay the OTA updates.

Because Samsung want to add all their own shit to it, which then involves testing and then after that if your phone isn't unlocked, the carriers have to test their bloatware.
The new version is always there, it's the third party manufacturers that take their sweet ass time to apply their ugly and slower skins and make it worse. On top of that carriers somehow also delay the OTA updates.

Ah okay, that makes sense - unfortunately. Thanks for a proper answer!

Jeffrey

Takes time for Samsung to put there own tweaks. Takes time for carriers to put there own tweaks.

Also there is no rush for them. It's not like they make money from you with these upgrades. Besides the hard core people don't care about upgrades for the most part.

Many people stuck around on iOS 6 for a long time. Only reason apple has a high upgrade number imo is they basically spam you daily to upgrade lol. Its worse than MS yelling at you to get win 10

Ashes

Banned

I think the best answers I've read over the year are related to this:

a, R&D budgets vary between firms
b, number of devices is somewhat proportional to complexities involved.

Jonnax

Partner platform contributions: Hardware manufacturers and silicon partners have accelerated fixes and enhancements to the Android platform in the O release. For example, Sony has contributed more than 30 feature enhancements including the LDAC codec and 250 bug fixes to Android O.

Good to hear.

Just having the OS isn't enough (which is why it isn't *easy* for people to simply make builds of the latest version for every phone ever). You need drivers for the hardware inside the phone that works with the OS, just like you do with a PC and it's OS. On top of that very few phone makers just release stock android, so they need to make whatever changes they make first

As has been said, if you want an iPhone like experience, get a Nexus/Pixel. If you care about other stuff, get a phone that concentrates on that. There's something out there for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom