• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oasis: Supersonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

MV5BOTMzMDcwZjQtNzJiMy00MDJmLTkxMzItMDIyZjk0NTVmYmIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY3MDI3ODE@._V1_.jpg

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZJqUrJyDs
Rotten Tomatoes:https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oasis_supersonic/ - 85% (as of November 1, 2017)
NYT Critics' Pick: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/movies/review-supersonic-oasis.html
Amazon US: https://amzn.com/B01LTHWY3I (Blu-ray out December 20, 2016)
Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KK40YY2/ (Blu-ray out October 31, 2016)
iTunes US: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/oasis-supersonic/id1160549046

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better film about my favorite band and one of the most magical time periods of my life when music was really all that mattered. It was humorous, as you'd expect, but it was also a very good inside look at the method and the madness behind the success. I learned a good bit about the early days -- Liam getting whacked in the head by a hammer.. WTF?! The King Tut's Wah Wah Hut/Alan McGee story is one I think most fans know about, but only tangentially in my case (apparently). I was totally unaware of how they got on the bill due to the whole Sister Lovers thing -- amazing. You hear local/unsigned bands on occasion nowadays and the general rule of thumb or barometer is yeah, they're not bad. Or at least they're not shit. Can you imagine being a talent scout (let alone label head) and coming across these guys on a total twist of fate like that?

I had no clue about the origin of Talk Tonight and how it came to be. Noel describing, or rather being unable to describe, the girl who inspired it was such a great visual because I think we all have moments in life like that. Just a general idea of something. I proposed to my wife during Talk Tonight so it was pretty special to learn more about it. I also didn't know that All Around the World was the first song Noel ever played for the band.. a bit surreal that it would ultimately sound exactly the same when it eventually came out.

I think as a documentary, the producers did a fantastic job. The format with the lack of face to face interviews worked well and made the film feel more alive and less like a eulogy. I would have been thrilled to see it go beyond Knebworth (the Be Here Now recording sessions must have been something else), but I certainly understand the reason to end there. That was the apex of their career in many ways so it served as a good starting and stopping point.

It was a really special way to relive my formative years and I am so happy this was made.

USA fan here. My favorite band ever.

I was on alt.music.oasis back in the day. Had a terrible fan page on Geocities and lurked on some of the bigger fan forums. Did tape trading ("send me 3 blanks and I'll send you a bootleg back."). Found weird music shops searching for $35 silver pressed bootlegs. (I should mention this was all fairly difficult in the USA, but, there were at least a few of us here and there who were deep down the rabbit hole)

Didn't get to see them in concert until Dec 3, 1999 in Philadelphia at the Y100 Feastival which was the first ever show w/ Gem and Andy. Over the years, saw them probably 20 times after that culminating with seeing Noel at a Teenage Cancer Trust show in London when I was miraculously there for work at the same time.

Unfortunately, I didn't get out to see the movie last night because I'm old and have kids and obligations. BUT, I can't wait to see it at home. Hell, I made a UK iTunes account and might just pull the trigger on buying it there because I have no idea of a USA digital or physical release date and the only blu ray info I can find is for the Region 2 disc.

They don't make them like this anymore. And it makes me feel weird and old and nostalgic but they have done no wrong in my eyes. They were everything I wanted my favorite band to be, came along when I was 16, and it feels weird to be looking back on stuff 20+ years ago now. Time flies (like the Best Of disc is titled....)

Also please don't ever reform!

calder

I'll have to wait for it to come to home video so I can turn subtitles on. I can never understand what Noel is saying.

Too true. Assume any word you don't understand is "fookin' 'ell" and it may help.

For Liam, remember "student" is one of his favourite insults, especially when talking about Noel.

Meier

Unfortunately, I didn't get out to see the movie last night because I'm old and have kids and obligations. BUT, I can't wait to see it at home. Hell, I made a UK iTunes account and might just pull the trigger on buying it there because I have no idea of a USA digital or physical release date and the only blu ray info I can find is for the Region 2 disc.

Also please don't ever reform!

Two quick comments -- I'm not sure how common this is, but here in Austin the Alamo Drafthouse was able to organize some additional screenings. I think it's playing tomorrow and Sunday or something. It's possible that the cinema in your area who had it might be playing it again so don't give up just yet! I imagine it will be on video soon here too though given the whole one night only thing.

One quick comment about your spoiler. I went with my wife and a good friend who I know from the Man City supporter's club here (he also became a fan due to the band) and we had a little discussion about this after the film. My wife is firmly in the don't reform camp because she has always preferred Noel and his songs and obviously Liam's voice isn't what it was before so maybe he just simply couldn't do it. I think as far as I'm concerned, I'd like it to happen some day.

Noel made the point a number of times in the interviews during the film that he felt the most special thing about oasis was the feelings the music evoked. Maybe their music wasn't the best, maybe Liam wasn't the best singer or Noel wasn't the best guitarist or whatever on an individual basis, but the way the fans responded was very special and what made oasis so great. And I know that if they ever got back together and I got to see them live again, my heart would be ready to explode and that's always a feeling you'd like to have. This documentary certainly helped us get a little closer to feeling that way again.

I'll have to wait for it to come to home video so I can turn subtitles on. I can never understand what Noel is saying.

In the interviews which were all modern, Liam was actually pretty subdued and very poignant. I'm sure they'll help, but I think for the most part you'll probably be fine without them.

Moonkeis

"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" is one of my favorite albums, it just makes me reflect on the good ol' high school years every time I listen to it. I'll definitely check this out.

calder

Ugghhh, really not sure if I want to bother (god I'm so old) but I'm looking at the screening tonight in my city and seriously debating going. But my wife is out of town so I don't have a car and would need to go by myself. Is it worth 2 cabs?!?

Meier

Ugghhh, really not sure if I want to bother (god I'm so old) but I'm looking at the screening tonight in my city and seriously debating going. But my wife is out of town so I don't have a car and would need to go by myself. Is it worth 2 cabs?!?

I would say yes. It's a really fun shared experience with other fans and the film itself is just incredibly entertaining. I think you'll be glad you did it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It's just Noel talkin' in the doc?

I FRIGGIN' LOVE ME SOME NOEL!

Mad fer it !

Sad to see the one night showing in Minneapolis was last night. I thought it was tonight. Would have loved to see it in theatres.

Listening to the live performances through a theater speaker system is cool. I watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. A good sized group of English was there having a laugh. One of them imitated Liam's voice and yelled out Sooooonsheeeeeiiine when the auditorium lights went down. I'm pretty sure he was a Manx. Cracked everyone up.

Noel comparing himself to a cat and Liam to a dog was such a perfect analogy of how they are around others. Noel is a loner who doesn't need the company of the band, whereas Liam is full of energy when he's around people and needs to be engaged.

calder

Fan response to this could be what drives a reform.

Every time someone says "reform" in the context of a band reforming I choose to read it as "reform" as in "Martin Luthor nailing the 95 Theses to the door of his church", which is way funnier to me because then I imagine Liam as Pope Leo the X sitting in opulent robes demanding the upstart Noel be excommunicated.

So yeah, I think I'll go see it in the theatre tonight. Thanks for the thread Meier, you're doing alright here you fucking student!

Liam, can you help get me in the mood?

On Mumford And Sons: “I’m sure they’re all nice lads but that’s not for me. They look like fucking Amish people. I need music to be a bit more sexy and played by people who look a bit fucking dangerous.” (ShortList, June 2011)
On Florence Welch: “I’m sure she’s a nice girl, but she sounds like someone’s stood on her fucking foot. I’m not having someone with ginger hair making music. I’m not going down that road.” (XFM, February 2010)

Yeah that'll do.

Meier

It's just Noel talkin' in the doc?

I FRIGGIN' LOVE ME SOME NOEL!

Mad fer it !

Probably equal parts Noel and Liam. But Bonehead, Guigsy, a lot of their mother Peggie, their brother Paul, Tony McCarroll, Alan McGee, tour managers and other folks from their management team, etc. all speak. It's quite thorough. A little bit of Wibbling Rivalry included as well, haha.

Meier

Liam, can you help get me in the mood?

Yeah that'll do.

This batch of Noel quotes was posted the other day by Buzzfeed:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/the-most-noel-gallagher-things-noel-gallagher-has-ever-said

Some of my faves

13. On Liam: “I read these interviews with him and I don’t know who the guy is who’s in these interviews, he seems really cool, because the guy I’ve been in a band with for the last 18 years is a fucking knobhead.”

17. On his wife: “I didn’t even get a fucking birthday present last time. Fucking hell! She pulls out that one: ‘But you’ve got everything! How many more effects pedals can I buy you?’ One more! One fucking more will do. One more!”

23. On modern pop stars: “’Oh, yeah, my last selfie got 47-thousand-million likes on Instagram.’ Yeah, why don’t you go fuck off and get a drug habit, you penis?”

32. On not caring: “We went to the Brits and we’d won all those awards and we didn’t play. The head of the Brits said, ‘This’ll ruin your career.’ Fucking, wow. I say to the guy, ‘Do you know how high I am? You know who’s going to ruin my career? Me, not you. Bellend. More champagne. Fuck off.’”

(bit of this one in the film)

Two quick comments

Noted. I looked at the theaters here in Northern VA and they didn't have any more showings up.

I think since I have an iTunes UK account I can just charge it with an iTunes UK gift card (not having a UK credit card) and buy the movie on UK iTunes (which came out yesterday already). Then just stream it like normal via my UK account. I *think* that would work? Other UK outlets (like Amazon UK) get it in digital starting on the 31st, but, I haven't seen a USA release date yet which is why I'd go to such lengths at this point. For all I know it won't come out here for a while.

Second point, I just don't trust them to do a full on tour. If it's one night and at the Etihad and they stream it on YouTube and they play for 3 hours then call it a day and get paid $50 million for it, fine. I just don't want them touring America at the Electric Factory or 9:30 club or something (though, come on, seeing them in such a venue would be amazing). I just want them to leave it as it is and keep doing NGHFB and whatever Liam's solo project will be. I'd rather just rewatch There and Then or Live by the Sea or Familiar to Millions instead.

Too true. Assume any word you don't understand is "fookin' 'ell" and it may help.

For Liam, remember "student" is one of his favourite insults, especially when talking about Noel.

Nah, "potato" is his 2016 insult of choice. Right down to searching Google for "noel gallagher pictures", finding and and posting one onto Twitter with the insult.

The documentary is great, anyone with an inkling of interest in Oasis should check it out. It focuses on their early years and first two albums ending at Knebworth in August 1996. Not so much "the rise and fall of Oasis", more like "the rise and rise of Oasis".

Meier

amazing trailer, does the blu ray have a release date yet?
I suspect it will be released fairly quickly on home video since the digital version is for sale on iTunes already in England (about a month after the theatrical release).

What's with the "one-day-only" in theaters? Oscar qualification?
Presumably! A little strange that they didn't just do a more traditional limited release but I know A24 is a small studio so maybe they felt like making it an event was safer financially.

Ristlager

Seeing this in an hour. By far my favorite band, came in at the perfect time of my life and never let go.

Also loving the Be Here Now remaster that was just released. I actually think it is my favorite album, mostly due to the time it was released, but I love every song on it and listening to it now brings back so much good memories.

What's with the "one-day-only" in theaters? Oscar qualification?

If this ends with the movie winning a documentary Oscar and Noel and Liam attending the Academy Awards, everything was worth it.

I think it has more to do with they're just protecting $.

Also, quick edit and ramble. I love BHN. With the remaster, Noel's DYKWIM rethink is off the charts good. Also BHN came out when I was 19 and just starting my 2nd year of college and I associate it with everything good in the world. Which, if it was meant to only sound good with a head full of drugs (or is the result of a head full of drugs), I do associate it with a head full of euphoria and youth. It's not the best, but, it's the most important album of my life.

dh4niel

I love Oasis but I hated Liam's John Lennon posturing.

Also to add to that argument: I like both Blur and Oasis but I feel that Oasis' songs deserve more of a re-listen than any Blur song.

123rl

I lived through the Britpop era and I never had to pick sides. My friends and I loved all of it. BUT...Oasis were top of the list. Come on. It's not even close. They were the kings of the industry.

123rl

Yeah and it's not even close. Different Class is the defining album of that time period.

Apart from Disco 2000 and Common People...no. Sorted For Es And Wizz is one of my favourite Pulp songs but it's hardly a classic

The 90s was Some Might Say, Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, Cigarettes And Alcohol, and Live Forever. Oasis absolutely dominated and Pulp and Blur fought for second place

Meier

Would prefer this remain about oasis and the film in particular. I think many oasis fans appreciate the music of Blur, Pulp, Supergrass, Suede, The Verve, etc. It isn't one or the other(s). If you are not a fan, there are other threads to discuss the merits of various bands.

Interesting critique of Be Here Now. I've always thought Noel insults his own writing as a defense mechanism. No ones criticisms tops his own, so maybe it doesn't sting so much when he reads the reviews? "Hah they think these songs are crap? Well so do I. Tell me something I don't know!" Songs are shit, lyrics are shit, they don't mean anything, etc. I know it because I do it all the time .

This review makes the same observations about Noel.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21162-oasis-be-here-now-review-anniversary

despite not really being a fan of their music I find Noel Gallagher entertaining as hell, so I might watch this. Might wear out my fast forward button skipping through any time liam is on screen though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, i would kill for a Noel Gallagher talk show... or just him talkin' whatever is in his mind at the time.

Dude's a Legend to me.

Fersis

You're right but extend that to 1998 as that was the release of Masterplan, which is probably one of their best albums

To be fair, most of those were b-sides originally released from 94-96, with the exception of Stay Young and Going Nowhere (both of which were written prior to 1996 anyway...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom