• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama, Ferguson, and race

Status
Not open for further replies.
nbc_obamaferg2_140814.nbcnews-video-reststate-640.jpg

NBC News: Should Obama Do More on Ferguson and Other Racial Issues?
By Perry Bacon Jr.

As he did in the wake of the Trayvon Martin killing and George Zimmerman’s subsequent acquittal, Obama played the role of unifier in his speech at Martha’s Vineyard, condemning the police actions in Ferguson but also urging blacks not to respond with violence. He called for “healing.”

But there is a concern, particularly among African-American activists, that soothing words from the president are not enough. They want to see the president, in his speeches, directly connect the deaths of Michael Brown in Missouri and Eric Garner in New York, both black men, to police brutality and persistent racism. Obama has generally avoided both subjects.

And they wonder if the first black president is doing enough to address issues like police shootings and the jobless rate among blacks, which is double that of whites.

“What have you done? What have you done President Obama? We still have ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws everywhere. There are all sorts of things that people wanted policy-wise, after the president expressed something personally (after the Martin incident) that we haven’t seen manifested,” said Jason Johnson, a politics editor at The Source magazine and a political science professor, in an interview on MSNBC Wednesday.
But the situation in Ferguson has angered African-Americans, and some have been disappointed by Obama’s reaction. They say it fits into a larger pattern: the first black president is often afraid to call out behavior that directly harms blacks.

“This is actually worse than Trayvon Martin, you have standoffs in the streets. He has met it with his dispassionate speaking. That is not useful,” said Anthea Butler, associate professor of religious studies and Africana studies at The University of Pennsylvania. “We have a big racial problem, and he has tiptoed around it.”

Sherrilyn Ifill, president of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, said that she would like to see the federal government push local police departments to better train officers to avoid these kinds of incidents but having Obama speak more about race is not itself a solution, she argued.

“I think we have to be careful we don’t become addicted to the habit of saying, ‘what will President Obama say,” Ifill said.

The debate about how Obama should react to the Ferguson situation continues a long-running discussion about how the first black president should speak and act on issues of race. Obama has at times spoken in deeply personal terms about issues that affect blacks, as he did in a long speech last year in the wake of Zimmerman’s acquittal. He has pushed for changes to America’s criminal justice system in a direct attempt to reduce the huge number of black men serving long prison sentences for drug crimes.

Obama appointed the first ever black attorney general, Eric Holder and has empowered him broadly to enact policy on a number of issues that involve race. In a statement about the situation, Holder said he was “deeply concerned” about the use of power being used to control protests, saying, “the deployment of military equipment and vehicles sends a conflicting message.”

At the same time, black critics say Obama, particularly during his first term, was too reluctant to target and address elevated home foreclosure and unemployment rates in the black community and presided over a huge decline in black wealth in the midst of the recession. And in his speeches, his critics say, Obama is too eager to suggest blacks don’t work hard enough to better themselves instead of highlighting racial discrimination that might hold them back.

“My Brother’s Keeper doesn’t deal with the issues men like Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin and other unarmed black men who were killed,” said Mark Anthony Neal, a Duke University professor of African & African American Studies. He was referring to a program Obama started earlier year that seeks to address challenges black and Latino boys face.

Counter-Point:

New York Times/TheUpshot: How Race Undermines Obama’s Bully Pulpit on Ferguson
By Brendan Nyhan

But will the president’s involvement actually have a positive effect? Many who have called on Mr. Obama to speak up may not realize that it could be counterproductive for him to be visibly involved in the debate. Research by a Brown University political scientist, Michael Tesler, shows that the mere mention of Mr. Obama, the first African-American president, polarizes the public along racial lines on issues ranging from health care to how people feel about his dog, Bo.

The Ferguson controversy may end up being as divisive as the Trayvon Martin case and the arrest of the Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates – two racially charged controversies that became more prominent and arguably more polarized after Mr. Obama addressed them.

Just as his efforts to push through his legislative agenda can stimulate partisan opposition, making him the face of the Ferguson debate could provoke a backlash that could undermine the emerging bipartisan conversation about race and criminal justice in this country.

I more side with the first article which says Obama should speak up more about race issues than the second (weird to come from New York Times), which says Obama should watch out for the backlash. Brendan seems to imply the "emerging bipartisan conversation" is enough because now Rand Paul is speaking up about it and mentioning race towards the criminal justice system, so Obama should sit this one out. That doesn't sound like enough. Or it could be that Rand Paul mentions this because "libertarian concerns about encroaching government overlap with African-American dismay over criminal-justice policies".

Racial issues go beyond just that field of criminal justice and police brutality.

There can be a reactionary element to wanting Obama to respond, like the NAACP person says, but I feel there's a lot more that needs to be done on an actionable, legislative level that has far-reaching improvements. Just speaking up about racial issues is the least thing leaders can do.

Angelus Errare had a couple of thought-provoking posts in the Ferguson thread that people should read:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125493821#post125493821
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=125503547#post125503547
These people won't be given the benefit of the doubt, their name and image will be dragged through the mud, despite the fact they are the victim it will be them who are on trial; it will be them who the media paints as the villain and will frame their deaths as justified from the get go by simply phrasing their headlines a certain way. "Black youth killed, no gang affiliation" or "Black teen shot, had prior arrest for marijuana"...as if those make their deaths okay. All the while we can have white youth who AK a school get headlines of "Youth opens fire on school—Friends state he was kindhearted and are shocked"; or how media tried to frame Elliot Rogers as some poor misguided youth. We'll continue to see people question if these deaths are a result of the black culture; while the dozens of mass shootings and other heinous acts are chalked up to "mental illnesses". They'll continue to put up the worst picture they can find and frame how they're "thugs", "delinquents", "animals". These narratives didn't happen in isolation; they're the direct effect of decades upon decades of marginalization, mistreatment and systematic abuse inflicted upon black people.

So when you tell me the youth of tomorrow are going to make it all better, I will tell you this is the same thing they said in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and things have not gotten better for black people at nearly the rate the majority. You can look at black people in the 80s and see not much has changed in our social standing in this country and the reason is the same post Jim Crow bullshit laws that were around back then are still in effect today. You want me to believe that things will get better? Show me these fucked up laws being changed, show me the for profit prison industry being dismantled, show me disproportionate arrest rates for the same crimes being evened out, show me these post Jim Crow laws being thrown out wholeheartedly; show me people who aren't naive enough to think that it's no longer a racial problem but a class problem when these laws make sure that the class most affect are comprised of black people.

What I think is going to happen is that overt racism will more and more be frowned upon while covert racism will be double downed even more (basically American society right now). I mean it's cute that people believe in that anime trope of the power of youth, but back in reality the youth will grow up largely apathetic because it doesn't affect them. They'll tackle issues that are in their face (women's rights, gay rights, etc) but black rights will be where it's been for the last 50 years because it's out of sight so out of mind.

I want to believe but reality paints a different picture.

It's 2014 and black people are still protesting the same shit from the 60s. Think about that then tell me things will/do get better.
Relevant quote about tone policing from moderates from Martin Luther King Jr, 1963:
"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
"​
BvCci4DIMAEXAIz.jpg

Very cool tumblr comparison page of Civil Rights Movement versus Ferguson Protests

ISOM

I said this in another thread that if Obama really said some real stuff about race in America, that it would be spun into the president trying to start a race war. It's the disadvantage of being a black or the first black president. Words are nice but what people really need right now is action and that starts with congress. They make the laws that could greatly impact the black community in america.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I said this in another thread that if Obama really said some real stuff about race in America, that it would be spun into the president trying to start a race war. It's the disadvantage of being a black or the first black president. Words are nice but what people really need right now is action and that starts with congress. They make the laws that could greatly impact the black community in america.

That's part of the problem. We have a do absolutely jack shit congress that enables the very bullshit that needs to change. We can't get these people to convene without grade school theatrics involved.

If people are apathetic on the regular, then they could give less of a fuck unless they are under the gun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Obama has given up. Its incredibly disappointing but its also incredibly evident. In the aftermath of Sandy Hook he was unable to rally Washington or the country into doing even a slightly meaningful thing about gun violence. Why would this be any different?

Obama is in a tough spot. I'm frsutrated with him because he has been tight lipped on a lot of issues over his 7 year tenure. Alot of that is warding off any potential backlash which I can understand.

However, he has been unusually quiet over these incidences and it makes me question his authority. He is a very good orator, but he's just lurking in the shadows at this point hoping the things in Ferguson cool themselves down.

However, it needs to be said publicly what we're all thinking privately: that police enforcement against Blacks is becoming too stringent and something needs to be done to alleviate that.

The President is a man limited by his position, and what it represents. His words, mannerisms, actions, locations...everything, are scrutinized more than anyone else's in the country (probably as much as anyone else could be on the planet, honestly). When he goes on vacation, everyone has an opinion. When he drinks a beer, or is seen in a photo looking in a direction opposite his wife, or opens his mouth to say/not say anything, everyone has an opinion

Unlike everyone else though, people who have an opinion also seek to use it politically and professionally against him more often than not, due to this country's politics/political system. Obama is a black man, more uniquely empowered to influence via words/action/opinion than probably any other black male in recent history...but he is hamstrung by that empowerment, because the second he says something about these events that isn't carefully scrubbed and PR polished:

- they say he is taking a professorial (read: uppity) tone
- they say he is finger-wagging/talking down to "his own people"
- they say he is being too angry
- they say he is facilitating a racial divide/playing the race card

I would love it, more than anything, if he got up and DID get angry. I would love it if he didn't just calmly state that Trayvon could've been his son. I would love it if he stated that this stuff ended today, and that he was going to do something - anything - to affect race relations in America. But I realize that because America is America, he couldn't do that without creating - either directly, or due to the ineffectual media or hyperpolarized political climate - a worse state of race relations. There are people out there that wanted to void his election because he was supposedly not American. There are people out there that wanted to impeach him because he supposedly violated the Constitution. There are people out there who have come to his addresses openly carrying weapons to protest him because they secretly thought he was trying to disarm them. There would probably be people who would actively try to take his life, or his family's life if he were to mention something like "damn, black men and women really get a bum rap in this country, and I'm going to do something to help that".

That's just the sad state of things. It hurts to see such a missed opportunity for the most powerful person of color on Earth to do or say ANYTHING EVER about things like this...but I can't fault him for not being willing to risk his presidency/the party/his life to do it.

...then again, as an exasperated black male in America, maybe that's just a concession I'm willing to accept because collectively, we've been beaten up too much culturally to try.

Valhelm

contribute something
I think one issue is that, unlike Zimmerman, this is not a specific act of inelegant racism. Barack Obama probably feels that he is on the same side as the Ferguson police, as he represents the law which must be upheld.

He might worry that speaking in favor of the protesters or the police, or even making vague comments about how "the violence needs to end", might inflame the issue and rile people up.

Obama is a politician. He speaks the language of measured pragmatism.

I think the fact that he's taken so much shit for being a Black man in the White house has caused him to really bite his tongue on racial issues or he'l run the risk of being labeled a Black radical that wants to stoke the flame of race relations.

Remember people were accusing him of not even being a fucking American citizen. People were actually accusing him of being an illegitimate President. They would go batshit if Obama actually spoke up about this shit. Maybe that's why he should....

Obama is a pragmatist by nature, to a fault. So even though by principle he should say and do more, he understands the practical outcome will do more harm than good. White America is not ready to face racism at this point in time.

Trey

This is one of those things where he's damned if he do and damn if he don't type of situation.

That's literally the job description of the president, especially in this political climate. Certain sections of the media were preempting anything he could say on the very same night that the riots broke out, framing the situation as him only caring because it's black people involved.

I would be surprised if any meaningful legislation comes from these events. It's just not resonating in the political spectrum like you would hope to see - politicians are all waiting for it to cycle out of the news.

This is one of those things where he's damned if he do and damn if he don't type of situation.

Pretty much.

He has to be delicate with any and all matters of race relations.

A lot of people also have to realize that if you want hope and change, you do it in the House and/or Senate, with the senators and reps. who write legislation.

Otherwise, criticizing Obama for anything and everything that goes wrong in matters like in Ferguson is really unfair to the man. He has national security matters to worry about that affect the country as a whole, plus the issues in Iraq, Russia, Egypt, Syria, and Ukraine. Not to forget N. Korea.

The President is a man limited by his position, and what it represents. His words, mannerisms, actions, locations...everything, are scrutinized more than anyone else's in the country (probably as much as anyone else could be on the planet, honestly). When he goes on vacation, everyone has an opinion. When he drinks a beer, or is seen in a photo looking in a direction opposite his wife, or opens his mouth to say/not say anything, everyone has an opinion

Unlike everyone else though, people who have an opinion also seek to use it politically and professionally against him more often than not, due to this country's politics/political system. Obama is a black man, more uniquely empowered to influence via words/action/opinion than probably any other black male in recent history...but he is hamstrung by that empowerment, because the second he says something about these events that isn't carefully scrubbed and PR polished:

- they say he is taking a professorial (read: uppity) tone
- they say he is finger-wagging/talking down to "his own people"
- they say he is being too angry
- they say he is facilitating a racial divide/playing the race card

I would love it, more than anything, if he got up and DID get angry. I would love it if he didn't just calmly state that Trayvon could've been his son. I would love it if he stated that this stuff ended today, and that he was going to do something - anything - to affect race relations in America. But I realize that because America is America, he couldn't do that without creating - either directly, or due to the ineffectual media or hyperpolarized political climate - a worse state of race relations. There are people out there that wanted to void his election because he was supposedly not American. There are people out there that wanted to impeach him because he supposedly violated the Constitution. There are people out there who have come to his addresses openly carrying weapons to protest him because they secretly thought he was trying to disarm them. There would probably be people who would actively try to take his life, or his family's life if he were to mention something like "damn, black men and women really get a bum rap in this country, and I'm going to do something to help that".

That's just the sad state of things. It hurts to see such a missed opportunity for the most powerful person of color on Earth to do or say ANYTHING EVER about things like this...but I can't fault him for not being willing to risk his presidency/the party/his life to do it.

...then again, as an exasperated black male in America, maybe that's just a concession I'm willing to accept because collectively, we've been beaten up too much culturally to try.
Jesus. This was beautiful.

Also, EXCELLENT post OP.

I think Angelus said it best with the "out of sight, out of mind" part. Realistically no one should expect Obama (or any President) to change discriminatory laws overnight or just a year or two. The processes are gradual and take many, many years and lots of collaborating hands. Personally I don't even think Obama could get anything go, but that goes to say for every President and has more to do with what amount of power they actually wield, but that's another issue.

So even with that expectation in mind, the problem is that by being bearish on addressing the uncomfortable truths on institutionalized racism and its role in police brutality towards black Americans, he's effectively saying he doesn't care. Sometimes having no or a tepid opinion on something is almost as bad as having a negative opinion, and I think that a lot of otherwise impressionable people who would be swayed into caring more if they saw the President do so, are similarly led not to care or disregard it as an emergent focus.

However it's particularly more damaging in this case because Obama is half-black and viewed as African-American by a majority of the population. So effectively if even a black President (the first black President no less) doesn't seem to put much stock into apparent caring and reflection on these problems (in a way that challenges thought and in a somewhat brutally honest way), that doesn't do well to convince others to do the same.

Some people also seem quick to say that by his doing so, it'd incite race wars, which is frankly hilarious. Most people have been civil among disagreement with immigration and LGBT rights, and in fact most of us are in support of them, some likely b/c of the very obvious public support from political figures such as....Obama. By and large the America that would have states secede in socio-political disagreements doesn't exist anymore, let alone an America that'd devolve into a civil war over them. And the extremists on both sides don't have enough power to pull the country down that path either.

However this is still an America that can still be sharply divided mentally, and it takes people in positions of influence and power, like Obama, to do what they can to erase that divide. I'm pretty sure he can do a bit better than this here.

I said this in another thread that if Obama really said some real stuff about race in America, that it would be spun into the president trying to start a race war.

Do people honestly think this lowly of America?

We've been more civil on other issues that are at least somewhat racially sensitive (immigration reform), why would addressing the root problems involved in this and similar deaths across the country suddenly turn it into a cesspool of civil war?

Obama has given up. Its incredibly disappointing but its also incredibly evident. In the aftermath of Sandy Hook he was unable to rally Washington or the country into doing even a slightly meaningful thing about gun violence. Why would this be any different?
It doesn't help when you have a do nothing Congress that's sole purpose is to stonewall Obama at every turn (except Israel...) for even the most obviously good things.

It's a problem when old white rich racist men are all that gets elected.

Abounder

Banned
Like the financial crisis showed: the system is fucked and white collared criminals on Wall Street run amok just like the boys in blue down in Ferguson. At least Obama didn't ignore it, and behind the scenes he's probably furious, but he's playing the political game of not pissing off the public, party, and the police rather than taking a strong stand. Disappointing but expected.

Do people honestly think this lowly of America?

We've been more civil on other issues that are at least somewhat racially sensitive (immigration reform), why would addressing the root problems involved in this and similar deaths across the country suddenly turn it into a cesspool of civil war?

Well, the original civil war was literally about racial issues (like the freedom of slaves), so...yeah.

Are people saying that people are literally just going to march on cities and just start gunning people down because the President says "stop abusing black people"? No.

But do you really think it would be far-fetched to believe that in the context of this country, in which all of the things I described in my last post literally/factually did happen to the President, that if he did choose to act specifically in favor of people of color for any reason, about anything (for example, if the President wanted to discuss reparations for slavery, or if he wanted to refine/improve affirmative action rules, or if he wanted to create rules that discouraged/limited the ability for systemic discrimination in police/law enforcement activity/imprisonment)...that people wouldn't come at him in a violent or vitriolic way?

MikeDown

Banned
IDK, Obama just seems to me at least, to come off as not caring. When shit happens all he does is write a speech about it, hell he probably doesn't even write them. Obama needs to show some back bone, do some executive orders to change things, instead of feeding off it.

Well, the original civil war was literally about racial issues (like the freedom of slaves), so...yeah.

Are people saying that people are literally just going to march on cities and just start gunning people down because the President says "stop abusing black people"? No.

But do you really think it would be far-fetched to believe that in the context of this country, in which all of the things I described in my last post literally/factually did happen to the President, that if he did choose to act specifically in favor of people of color for any reason, about anything (for example, if the President wanted to discuss reparations for slavery, or if he wanted to refine/improve affirmative action rules, or if he wanted to create rules that discouraged/limited the ability for systemic discrimination in police/law enforcement activity/imprisonment)...that people wouldn't come at him in a violent or vitriolic way?

Except that Obama has already kind of been doing just that with his open support and efforts for immigration reform. Ted Bundy and his posse stayed down near the border, they didn't travel up to DC to try and assassinate him.

And in the end, everyone is benefiting from immigration reform, just as everyone would eventually benefit from dramatic changes on institutionalized racism and police brutality towards minorities (black Americans specifically in this case).

Those people who would come at him have already done so for much smaller reasons, no one needs to be concerned with garnering their support. They're extremists, and too far gone to matter.

He is not wrong at all. Fox news was trying to spin Obama's saying "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon" into him starting a race war.

So? Fox is always like that. They'll do that again and again, it's their M.O.

That shouldn't prevent Obama and others from vocalizing their opinions and suggestions on these issues more poignantly, it's not like by refusing to do so extremist detractors will suddenly like them.

mclem

I think the issue is that if he says things, the people who need to learn from it explicitly will not listen.

ISOM

I think the issue is that if he says things, the people who need to learn from it explicitly will not listen.

Yeah black people already know about the problems in america. I think they should also know that Obama stand with them from the trayvon martin situation. So a speech would not be for the black community but more for the white community at large. And they would tune out everything he says, so what is the point? What does it exactly accomplish? With no tangible actions Obama can take re laws being made it's just empty words. If anything Obama getting involved over the last day or so probably caused the situation to deescalate from what it was.

Imm0rt4l

So? Fox is always like that. They'll do that again and again, it's their M.O.

That shouldn't prevent Obama and others from vocalizing their opinions and suggestions on these issues more poignantly, it's not like by refusing to do so extremist detractors will suddenly like them.
Did I say otherwise? You asked if people really think that lowly of America, when close to half of Americans would be espousing the same bs.

I understand he's in a tough position but am still disappointed. Eric Holder has largely been Obama's point man on race and has been quite effective; he sees his role as having the ability to day and do things the president can't. Which is why I like Holder despite his failures on multiple other issues.

Ultimately I think the problem is that Obama isn't a historical figure; outside of his race there isn't much of note about him politically. He is not a leader, that should be clear by now. And outside of being a great campaigner he isn't a good politician; he's ineffective, loyal to a fault, and perhaps too pragmatic, to a point of paralysis. And because of all these things he has dodged race for most of his presidency. I understand he can't be Chuck D and call out "the system" but he could do much more on a smaller scale.

His close friends say he wants to work with children after the presidency and continue his Brother's Keeper campaign. Why didn't he do any of that earlier? Why did he suddenly realize the power of his being in late 2013, when he noted how surprised he was that his personal story deeply connected with a group of inner city kids he was talking to? This is a man who makes a difference just by existing and being seen on television, yet hasn't taken much time to sit down with kids, teens, young adults from urban communities. He hasn't been out there campaigning for more local activism, convincing people to control their own neighborhoods/school boards/ etc.

In short he strikes as little more than a placeholder in history. A brilliant guy afraid to take risks, afraid to make a difference. Politically he has some big achievements like Obamacare that will to down in history, but ultimately his presidency seems hollow.

It's amazing how much he takes the black community for granted; very similar to how white democrats have operated for decades. The swift action taken to placate the Hispanic or gay communities is nowhere to be seen when it comes to tr black community. I understand the danger of being seen as "helping blacks/hurting whites" but there are basic things that he could have done outside of congress. If anyone can unite black philanthropists and get jobs projects started in inner cities it's him. Yet he's largely been MIA.

ISOM

I understand he's in a tough position but am still disappointed. Eric Holder has largely been Obama's point man on race and has been quite effective; he sees his role as having the ability to day and do things the president can't. Which is why I like Holder despite his failures on multiple other issues.

Ultimately I think the problem is that Obama isn't a historical figure; outside of his race there isn't much of note about him politically. He is not a leader, that should be clear by now. And outside of being a great campaigner he isn't a good politician; he's ineffective, loyal to a fault, and perhaps too pragmatic, to a point of paralysis. And because of all these things he has dodged race for most of his presidency. I understand he can't be Chuck D and call out "the system" but he could do much more on a smaller scale.

His close friends say he wants to work with children after the presidency and continue his Brother's Keeper campaign. Why didn't he do any of that earlier? Why did he suddenly realize the power of his being in late 2013, when he noted how surprised he was that his personal story deeply connected with a group of inner city kids he was talking to? This is a man who makes a difference just by existing and being seen on television, yet hasn't taken much time to sit down with kids, teens, young adults from urban communities. He hasn't been out there campaigning for more local activism, convincing people to control their own neighborhoods/school boards/ etc.

In short he strikes as little more than a placeholder in history. A brilliant guy afraid to take risks, afraid to make a difference. Politically he has some big achievements like Obamacare that will to down in history, but ultimately his presidency seems hollow.

It's amazing how much he takes the black community for granted; very similar to how white democrats have operated for decades. The swift action taken to placate the Hispanic or gay communities is nowhere to be seen when it comes to tr black community. I understand the danger of being seen as "helping blacks/hurting whites" but there are basic things that he could have done outside of congress. If anyone can unite black philanthropists and get jobs projects started in inner cities it's him. Yet he's largely been MIA.

He's not a leader? He isn't a historical figure? What a garbage post.

thefro

IDK, Obama just seems to me at least, to come off as not caring. When shit happens all he does is write a speech about it, hell he probably doesn't even write them. Obama needs to show some back bone, do some executive orders to change things, instead of feeding off it.

You don't think he twisted Governor Nixon's arm a little bit behind the scenes? He's happy to let the folks on the ground there take all the credit since he knows that his heavy involvement would lead to a backlash from Republicans.

He is absolutely a historical figure. If Dubya is one, let's give President Obama the respect for being one as well.

But he's also a ruthless campaigner and he has an army of supporters that ushered him into his second term.

The Affordable Healthcare Act is still a monumental achievement and I'm certain it will hold up in the Supreme Court, but he's also dealing with conflicts overseas and that's where his focus has been for the last 2 years or so. Foreign policy is a very big deal.

But don't get it twisted, his job is not to actively have a hand in local activism. His concern as President are the "bigger fish" that threaten US interests.

Panzon

This whole mess is so sad. Obama seems to have given up though and I already gave up on him.

Really crazy how history really does repeat itself time and time again

Slayven

Bill Maher and folks want a table shaking "I am not that Nigga" Obama when that is the worse thing that he could do. Because that would push all those people that were sitting on the fence about race right over to "hang them negros" side.

ISOM

This whole mess is so sad. Obama seems to have given up though and I already gave up on him.

Really crazy how history really does repeat itself time and time again

Given up how exactly? Being calm and pragmatic doesn't mean he's given up anything.

America would've absolutely allowed an activist President into office - especially one of color. Malcolm X would be president without any problem. Martin Luther King Jr. would've been as well.

Jesse Jackson would've been all clear. Those guys would've done something.

It's realistic to have expected a "Fear of a Black Planet" type of President, right?

Ovid

I wonder how this will play out when his term ends? Maybe that's when Obama goes back to his roots, roll up his sleeves and take action.

I have a feeling he will.

MikeDown

Banned
You don't think he twisted Governor Nixon's arm a little bit behind the scenes? He's happy to let the folks on the ground there take all the credit since he knows that his heavy involvement would lead to a backlash from Republicans.
Pissing of republicans at this point isn't really an issue, as I doubt there is much he can do to get in their graces. Besides republicans are a minority, so why does is matter? Honestly I feel he is too removed to care that much.

Bill Maher and folks want a table shaking "I am not that Nigga" Obama when that is the worse thing that he could do. Because that would push all those people that were sitting on the fence about race right over to "hang them negros" side.

It really is a delicate balance, being the first black president. If I'm being 100% honest, I think that only a white (or non-black, really) president could have really done what people are hoping Obama would have. Republicans would accuse him of increasing the racial divide, and his original voter base? Well, we already saw the polls saying that more (most?) millennials believe that black people bring their problems on themselves.

That's just the way I'm seeing it.

Kuroyume

Banned
His constant tiptoeing around issues has made a weak president. Porgressives endured eight years of Bush and finally got their man only to find that he is someone without the guts to do the job. You can't please everyone. At some point you have to put your foot down and do the job you promised to do. The idea that he needs to hold back otherwise he would face backlash is so insulting and frustrating to me that it makes me sick. The people that would hate him for that hate him already anyway.

Panzon

Given up how exactly? Being calm and pragmatic doesn't mean he's given up anything.
Problem is he's too calm and mellow about these things. Just once I'd like to see him directly address the issue in a more aggressive matter. Obama is a great speaker but people just can't take his softness anymore. I know he has a bigger picture to worry about but its been 7 years of soft statements without ever actually calling out the culprits directly. I'm tired of it

Aaron

Republicans are already suing him, and threatening to impeach him, what does he have to lose by taking a stand? Sure, he's a great orator... so he should speak at least! And not wishy-washy sentiment, but something that might spur positive action.

ISOM

Problem is he's too calm and mellow about these things. Just once I'd like to see him directly address the issue in a note aggressive matter. Obama is a great speaker but people just can't take his softness anymore. I know he has a bigger picture to worry about but its been 7 years of soft statements without ever actually calling out the culprits directly. I'm tired of it

So you wanted an racial activist type of president but he never billed himself as that. It honestly just sounds like you had unrealistic expectations. Next time vote for the jesse jacksons or the al sharptons but they have a problem of wider electability.

Sure, he's a great orator...
I know this is the popular sentiment, so you're not crazy to think that, but I sincerely disagree with it. Obama is a great conversationalist, and when he was still a senator I really enjoyed listening to him in quiet, one-on-one interviews. His speeches, however, are usually schmaltzy and predictable with a lot of space-filling "uhhhs". He's nowhere near the great orator Presidents we've had, although that might be a product of the times. Who can give a JFK or Lincoln or FDR speech nowadays? Politicians are all sarcastic, aloof, and afraid to develop charisma.

Problem is he's too calm and mellow about these things. Just once I'd like to see him directly address the issue in a more aggressive matter. Obama is a great speaker but people just can't take his softness anymore. I know he has a bigger picture to worry about but its been 7 years of soft statements without ever actually calling out the culprits directly. I'm tired of it

What exactly does saber rattling do in your mind?

daycru

His speeches, however, are usually schmaltzy and predictable with a lot of space-filling "uhhhs". He's nowhere near the great orator Presidents we've had, although that might be a product of the times. Who can give a JFK or Lincoln or FDR speech nowadays? Politicians are all sarcastic, aloof, and afraid to develop charisma.

Yeah, he's not even a good speaker anymore. Fake folksy blah blah.

G.ZZZ

I think the problem is that he's black, and the president. Paradoxically enough, he can't move too much cause he'd be called out as "helping" "its" "people" as stupid as that sound. It would ruin the discussion around the matter and just escalate rethoric as "us" vs "them", basically ruining any chance for this shit (police state etc) to be actually resolved. He's a very intelligent person and he know that. It has to be a movement from the bottom, and then he can acknowledge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom