• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama is the most popular modern US president

Status
Not open for further replies.
The source is a little more combative than I'd have liked, but the numbers are all there.

Obama's current job approval rating per a new CNN/ORC poll is 52% approve to 45% disapprove. CNN says this is the highest it's been since 2012. Additionally, at this point in their presidencies, Reagan had 48% approval, Clinton had 55% and Bush had 30%. While Clinton's job approval was higher, Obama has him beat on personal favorability.

While it's a shame that a deadlocked Congress has basically paralyzed his legislative agenda, Obama's entire political career seems to be defined by his rivals hanging themselves and Obama handing them the noose. McCain, Romney? Losers. Boehner? Resigned in shame. And the GOP has now nominated Trump due to the immense hatred he inspires in the right. Even as the economy's mostly turned around (not amazing, but decent), the Affordable Care Act is working and he's notched several key foreign policy victories under his belt, earning that Nobel Peace Prize everyone couldn't stop bitching about.

Stay winning, 'bams.

Reuters-Barack-Obama-Laughing.jpg

Volimar

I do really like him on a personal level. Not a huge fan of some of his policies regarding privacy and some of his foreign policy, but for the most part I've been very happy with him.

Good job Mr. President.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm kind of surprised by this. Just given how divisive the Republicans have made the country in the last 8 years I would have thought Clinton would top a popular recent president list.

God, can you imagine if he'd had a congress that wasn't maybe the most ineffective, useless appendage of the body government in it's entire fuckin' history?

I'm not an American but he's my favourite president you guys have had, I did like Clinton too but that was for other more entertaining reasons.

I'm kind of surprised by this. Just given how divisive the Republicans have made the country in the last 8 years I would have thought Clinton would top a popular recent president list.

Clinton had that whole sex scandal and impeachment business holding back the second half of his presidency. Reagan had Iran-Contra (Which ALMOST got him impeached).

Obama has managed to stay free of personal scandals throughout both terms, which no one has done since what...eisenhower? johnson?

he ha a charm that Hillary just doesn't have. He could melt me like butter.

Hill-dog isn't a terrible step-down, but she seems like a better option than the alternative more than anything.

Dishwalla

Banned
I just can't in good conscience call Clinton a good president. Certainly wasn't bad by any means, but it's a stretch to call him good.

Good on the 'bama.

But...still seems like Clinton clinched it? I feel that it's a greater accomplishment considering the scandals that rocked his term(s). Obama never had to deal with impeachment hearings, after all.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156362/bill-clinton-popular.aspx

This OP combines personal favorability AND approval in terms of popularity. Obama is the first President in decades to have both the approval of the public of his job and the personal favorable opinion of him at this point in his Presidency.

GW Bush was obviously not doing to well at this point.
Clinton had great approval numbers but was mired in a personal scandal.
Reagan had Iran-Contra bogging him down but it didn't hurt him permanently.
LBJ had Vietnam hurting him at this point.

The last person that was in this position would be Eisenhower.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Real talk, Obama isn't even that good.

He's an average to slightly above average president that looks like a fucking superstar due to the insane levels of incompetent, ignorant fuckery surrounding him.

This OP combines personal favorability AND approval in terms of popularity. Obama is the first politician in decades to have both the approval of the public of his job and the personal favorable opinion of him.

The Gallop link shows favorability at 57% at the end of 2000. Meaning he would've beat Obama at both (as of right now, anyway)

Clinton weathered the Monica Lewinsky scandal in 1998 with fairly high personal ratings -- averaging 58% that year -- and ended his presidency on a positive note, with a 57% rating in December 2000. Within three months, however, his favorable rating fell to an all-time low of 39%, amid controversy over some of his last-minute presidential pardons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He's an average to slightly above average president that looks like a fucking superstar due to the insane levels of incompetent, ignorant fuckery surrounding him.

He's going to go down as top 10 for the ACA alone. If the Iran deal goes well that's going to be even more solid. We've definitely had better, but his influence is going to be felt long after he's gone. He's not top 5, but it's hard to outdo Lincoln, Washington and the Roosevelts.

Rich!

Obama is a legend and almost everyone I know here in the UK feel the same.

Of course, all dreams will likely be shattered in November when trump becomes president. But at least you guys can laugh at us having Boris.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think he's the most effective president in modern history but he certainly is one of the most progressive and has accomplished a fair amount by executive action alone.

It's impressive considering the GOP has been rabidly going after him for the 8 years of his term, if it wasn't for this and the full republican congress cockblocking every step he tried to take, he would have been easily regarded as one of the bests in all history.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
He could've been in the top three if it wasn't for all the obstruction the guy had to endure. He's definitely awesome in many ways. I like him a lot.

Permanently A

Very charming guy that really tried his hardest to make America better. Will probably be remembered as one of the greater Presidents.

Best president of my lifetime. If you read the Atlantic article on foreign policy, you'd recognize just how in-depth he thinks about every policy decision. Truly a brilliant man.

And the American public is also staring down two really distasteful candidates for president that are going to follow him (although one is way worse than the other.)

120v

obama's approval situation has always been "forest from the trees" ... it was always pretty middling, sometimes abysmal, but in the long run he's been on the winning side most of the time

post presidency he'll be the most popular president no doubt. creating an entire party platform against "nobama" could cost the GOP the presidency for another decade or two if hillary & co. don't fuck it up (and barring another major recession)

He's going to go down as top 10 for the ACA alone.

Quite true. Even if that had been absolutely all he had achieved during his terms, that would be enough to secure his spot. That is worth all the ocean of shit he had to put up with inside the country.

Heck, even his gross incompetence in the middle east, which is almost as gargantuan as W.'s, isnt enough to diminish that one great cheevo.

post presidency he'll be the most popular president no doubt. creating an entire party platform against "nobama" could cost the GOP the presidency for another decade or two if hillary & co. don't fuck it up (and barring another major recession)

Problem there isn't nobama, but the racist slant. Given demographic trends, it is a dead end at the federal level for as long as they keep being the party of the white people.

Wiseblood

Obama has managed to stay free of personal scandals throughout both terms, which no one has done since what...eisenhower? johnson?

Not for lack of trying, and man the Republicans tried SO HARD to make Benghazi into some huge scandal. And they're still trying to sink Hillary with it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm not American, but that's definitely the case for me and everyone I know irl. Long live King Obama.

Rymuth

I wish he was my President.

Well...considering he's technically God-Emperor of the world, that would actually make him my President! :D

Meowster

What a great man. I'll miss him but at least with Hillary we'll know that his policies and legacies will be in safe hands.

andthebeatgoeson

Naw, he's good, given what he has accomplished. 20 million new people with healthcare, first president to support gay rights and marriage unequivocally, bailout of wall street and the auto industry, sustained job growth, green energy initiatives, killing Osama, I'm a fan of his policy of non engagement, which I believe will be seen under better light in the future, pivot to Asia.

It's just that he could have been one of the goats which causes problems but he's easily top 3rd and you'll need more time to see if he goes higher.

Clinton had that whole sex scandal and impeachment business holding back the second half of his presidency. Reagan had Iran-Contra (Which ALMOST got him impeached).

Likely Eisenhower. Johnson had Vietnam and was a major reason why he didn't seek re-election in 1968.

Eisenhower was probably the last truly popular President that served two terms in the sense that almost all of America respected him, there was not much polarization.

guek

Banned
My biggest issue with Obama, other than his drone strike and TPP stances, is his overuse of executive orders. He's really become dependant on them to push his agendas.

Of course, that's a clear product of fighting with an obstructionist congress for 8yrs, and I do agree with most of his executive orders, but just because I agree doesn't mean it's not an abuse of power. If it were a Republican POTUS, I'm sure I'd be livid.

Otherwise, he's been a good President hamstrung by an inept legislative branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom