• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama to Green-Light Dakota Access Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

EDIT: Refer to Evillore's post. The Daily Beast article is not updated or corrected, while Politico has updated their original article that the Obama administration denies greenlighting the pipeline.

Incredibly disappointing.

The Obama administration is set to approve the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) project to begin as early as the beginning of next week, sources told Politico. The oil pipeline is set to be built across the Missouri River, near the Standing Rock Sioux's reservation in North Dakota–a source of consternation for human rights and environmental activists and protesters in recent months. Many believe that the green-lighting of the $3.7 billion dollar project is related to the election of Republican nominee Donald Trump who would eventually approve the project anyhow. The announcement, however, is expected to escalate conflicts at the Dakota Access protest site, which may lead the Obama administration to postpone its decision until later next week.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...cess-pipeline.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

The Obama administration on Friday denied a report that it had decided to give final approval to the controversial Dakota Access oil pipeline.

“The process is ongoing and no decisions have been made,” an administration official told Politico. Politico had reported earlier Friday that the Army Corps of Engineers would announce approval as early as Monday, citing two sources familiar with the plans.

Approval would be a major defeat to environmentalists, the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and its American Indian allies, just days after Republican Donald Trump’s election to be the next president.

Opponents of the $3.7 billion pipeline say it would destroy sites that are sacred to the Standing Rock Sioux and threaten its water supply, and that further build-outs of fossil fuel infrastructure threaten to exacerbate climate change.

Developer Energy Transfer Partners is almost done with the portion of the pipeline in North Dakota, and just needs a final Army Corps easement to build under Lake Oahe.

An Army Corps spokesman said it will announce something “in the next few days” about the next steps for Dakota Access.

The Army Corps’ decision regarding the pipeline has been on hold since September, when the agency decided to pause its consideration while it reviews its consultations with Indian tribes.

The site of the pipeline near the lake has been home to protesters for months now. Dozens of pipeline opponents have been camped out there, the site of numerous violent skirmishes with law enforcement.

Greens have sought to turn Dakota Access into a new iteration of the Keystone XL pipeline, making it a battle over the future of fossil fuels and energy policy.

The oil industry and the pipeline’s supporters, meanwhile have framed the issue as a debate over the rule of law. They’ve accused Obama of ignoring the law by sitting on the easement.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/305637-obama-to-approve-controversial-pipeline-report

As unfortunate as this is, from what I can tell there's nothing Obama can do to definitively kill it, and the next regime is going to let it go through without question, so the fight is already lost.

Lime

As unfortunate as this is, from what I can tell there's nothing Obama can do to definitively kill it, and the next regime is going to let it go through without question, so the fight is already lost.

"might as well do Trump's work and make it easier for him"

I wonder if it being greenlit is just trying to ensure Trump/Republicans can't use that as another source of criticism for Obama in the future, or making the Republicans seem like they were the only reason it happened (thus trying to put a more positive spin on their administration). Once Obama is gone, there is absolutely NOTHING that will stop it (the pipeline) from happening, not counting a full-on armed uprising.

Not saying it's the right thing to do, but sadly politics is never about what's truly right.

Eusis

Not a bad idea - greenlight it so Trump is obligated to reverse it when he gets into office.
I guess the reverse psychology thing IS a silver lining.

But I don't really expect it to pan out here. And I get a weird sense of deja vu writing this post, maybe something similar came up in the past?

Well, I guess that's one test case all wrapped up for how vulnerable communities will be treated as our water and environmental issues ramp up big time over the next few years---reach for that Legacy of Accomplishments no matter the cost there Obama~

I wonder what stunning move against the public good will be next as he warms things up for Trump in the spirit of working together...?

SL128

Ah, this must be the "gives no fucks" Obama I've been hearing such great things about
Obama gives no fucks about oil possibly harming the environment, except when it might hurt his party politically.

Edit: Ok, this one hasn't been approved yet. Allowing arctic drilling is still one of the stupidest things he's done environment-wise.

Obama gift wrapping liberals and sending them over to future 3rd party candidates.

imagine if the pipeline leaks... the Democrats are truly fucked.

Linkura

Oh come on. Trump was going to greenlight it anyway. Why not just wait for him to do it and avoid the hit on your legacy, Obama?

Probably some part of the negotiation with Trump and transition team. Oh well.

He's won. No point in fighting it. Or at least. It's not his role to do that anymore.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Could Obama put conditions on his approval? If he could, it might be better for him to approve it under certain conditions than let Trump approve it outright.

nelchaar

So this and Keystone will go ahead? I know McConnel has a hard on for Keystone so I can't imagine him not pushing it through with a republican take over.

RIP environment

SZips

I don't understand what's changed. What about Trump being President suddenly makes him change his mind?

Guessing it's to pre-preemptively get some guidelines in place or restrictions before Trump pushes his own agenda to greenlight once he's in office. It's not a great response but it's potentially all that's left to get some sort of protections in that Trump won't do?

darkwing

Guessing it's to pre-preemptively get some guidelines in place or restrictions before Trump pushes his own agenda to greenlight once he's in office. It's not a great response but it's potentially all that's left to get some sort of protections in that Trump won't do?

this is what I'm thinking too, that Keystone pipeline is going to be pushed through with a Trump mindset

Unless this approval has caveats - like appointing Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court - I have no idea what Obama is thinking. He just tarnished his legacy for a lot of people for no benefit.

Yeah, there's gotta some point to this, since he put a stop to it before. It would be nice if he told us.

Linkura

That is a fair point, and I really, really hope that is the case.

So then let him do it....

"President Obama was such a failure, he wouldn't approve the Keystone Pipeline, making the American economy weaker and denying thousands of jobs to American workers in the process. Why did we even bother electing such a weak leader is beyond me"

Either that or maybe Obama was able to get a compromise going. It's easy to say "wow, Obama wtf bro?" but I think end of the day, he doesn't want to incite anymore conflict than is necessary. Trump won the election fair and square, as did the Republican party, he's just trying to make the best of the hand he's been dealt.

Averon

It is going to happen whether Obama wants to or not. Better to approve it yourself when you still have some power to put some caveats in place.

Obama is completely at Trump's mercy at this point. He probably got Trump to agree to something else in exchange for helping smooth stuff like this and other stuff over. I guess we'll have to wait and see if there's more to it.

Yeah and i'm sure Trump can be trusted.

If it's too get a plan that has concessions in from the oil industry fine but if it's just to help transition to Trump easier? Fuck that.

Media

cz2GHOe.jpg

If Trump would approve it anyway, why tarnish your legacy a few months before leaving office?

edit: Guess my question has already been answered.

It is going to happen whether Obama wants to or not. Better to approve it yourself when you still have some power to put some caveats in place.

"President Obama was such a failure, he wouldn't approve the Keystone Pipeline, making the American economy weaker and denying thousands of jobs to American workers in the process. Why did we even bother electing such a weak leader is beyond me"

Either that or maybe Obama was able to get a compromise going. It's easy to say "wow, Obama wtf bro?" but I think end of the day, he doesn't want to incite anymore conflict than is necessary. Trump won the election fair and square, as did the Republican party, he's just trying to make the best of the hand he's been dealt.

eh, he had a lot outside help, and some voter suppression laws. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom