• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama to Green-Light Dakota Access Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
cz2GHOe.jpg

I don't know why/how folks are reckoning Obama has the sudden courage or ability to put forth any caveats with teeth---he could've slammed the breaks definitively on this whole mess quite some time ago, but was content with the light tap for looks while the company continued to largely ignore and push ahead on it free of consequence.

For all the clamor of historic shit tied to Obama, it sure is a sad irony that he, of all presidents, opted to take such a "classical" stance on Native woes.

eh, he had a lot outside help, and some voter suppression laws. :)

True, but at the same time, voter disenfranchisement is at an all-time high. Plenty of people didn't want Hillary either, so they voted 3rd party or didn't vote at all. And a lot of those people are people I'd consider quite good-natured and intelligent, just that unfortunately with the political system as it is in America, she lost, he won, and maybe in 2018/2020 things will be better, who knows?

For what it's worth, I voted for her, even if I didn't agree with some parts of her policy, it's a decision I still stand by. Sadly I wasn't enough this time around.

jph139

I'm not particularly shocked, honestly. Clinton would have done the same thing. The fact neither of them has done anything to actually help the situation should have been a red flag for people.

There's no real political force wiling to side with the native population over the corporations on this one.

Cipherr

I'm not particularly shocked, honestly. Clinton would have done the same thing. The fact neither of them has done anything to actually help the situation should have been a red flag for people.

There's no real political force wiling to side with the native population over the corporations on this one.

Shit is sad. Beyond disappointing. I cannot even imagine how they feel right now.

Literally no allies.

None.

Snake

What sort of echo chamber does one live in where they can believe that accepting the Dakota Access Pipeline now that there's no hope of stopping it will "tarnish Obama's legacy." How many people do you think will actually care about this after it's a done deal? How many people do you think care about it now?

It's over. Republicans won. This is just a small blip compared to the shenanigans you'll see from oil interests in the next four+ years.

What sort of echo chamber does one live in where they can believe that accepting the Dakota Access Pipeline now that there's no hope of stopping it will "tarnish Obama's legacy." How many people do you think will actually care about this after it's a done deal? How many people do you think care about it now?

It's over. Republicans won. This is just a small blip compared to the shenanigans you'll see from oil interests in the next four+ years.

Because it'd be nice for it not to have been done by him.

MUnited83

For you.

None of those are good reasons to do it now instead of just letting the fascist that is coming to do it instead.

grumble

Obama gives no fucks about oil possibly harming the environment, except when it might hurt his party politically.

That isn't true...he has been a big investor in renewable energy and controlling emissions. It's a matter of balance.

I understand that Trump(or Pence, or whoever is running the show) would be pushing this through(and many other things) no matter what, and If it came up during their meeting, I'm sure Trump said as much but I would still like an explanation from Obama. It would help.

Lime

Obama might as well start doing Pence's work and implementing hate laws against LGBTQ right now and dismantle the ones that were created during his office. It's over. Republicans won.

It seems like a naked political move but maybe a good one. If it's going to happen anyway, deny Trump the right to claim any benefits it might accrue.

cordy

Banned
CODECGIF.gif

Obama -
"Trump, I'm going to green-light the Dakota Access Pipeline deal."
Trump - "Dakota Access Pipeline deal?!"
Obama - "This will set you up when you enter office. Once you enter, immediately repel this. This will ease you in with people."
Trump - "Got it."

- END COMMUNICATION-

Fox Mulder

Incredibly disappointing.

Sure, but this is who he is. Fucking disappointing constantly selling out progressives and caving to Republicans.
I don't think hillary even took a stance on this either.

Obama stalled until after the election and announces this on a Friday. Cowardly. His entire legacy is going to be erased, bye.

Lime

Before this news:

BILL McKIBBEN: He could, at least for 70 days, keep them from drilling under the Missouri River. And at the very least, that would be a powerful symbolic statement and one that people will rally around. There aren’t very many Americans, even in Trump’s America, who don’t understand the shamefulness of how we have treated the original inhabitants of this continent. This is the kind of issue that people have to get behind. They’re moral issues that define who we are.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/10/bill_mckibben_trumps_presidency_comes_when

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What sort of game are you playing at? This was already denied by the Obama admin and the story updated at Politico, the source of the story, almost immediately after being published. The second link you provided was even updated to reflect this long before you even created this thread. Did you read one sentence into your own link or just look at what the url said?

This is what your link actually says, originally published at 4:21pm and then updated at 5:41pm:

The Obama administration on Friday denied a report that it had decided to give final approval to the controversial Dakota Access oil pipeline.

“The process is ongoing and no decisions have been made,” an administration official told Politico.

Here's the original source at Politico:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-approve-dakota-access-pipeline-231255

The Obama administration said Friday that no decision has been made on the disputed easement for the Dakota Access pipeline, tamping down expectations that the project could see a green light as soon as Monday.

"The process is ongoing and no decisions have been made," an administration official said. Sources familiar with the process said earlier Friday that a go-ahead for the $3.7 billion project was expected as soon as Monday, raising concerns about nationwide protests planned against the project on Tuesday.

One of the disappointing responses from Hillary in the lead up to the election was a statement about both sides having a point and wanting a compromise. So, you're right. Sadly inevitable.

Lime

What sort of game are you playing at? This was already denied by the Obama admin and the story updated at Politico, the source of the story, almost immediately after being published. The second link you provided was even updated to reflect this long before you even created this thread. Did you read one sentence into your own link or just look at what the url said?

This is what your link actually says, originally published at 4:21pm and then updated at 5:41pm:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-approve-dakota-access-pipeline-231255

Thanks for the correction, Evilore, I read the Daily Beast article first, so I subsequently understood the Hill's "Politico had reported earlier Friday that the Army Corps of Engineers would announce approval as early as Monday, citing two sources familiar with the plans." as the sources confirming the go-ahead and that the administration had denied it previously. The title of the thread reflected the title of the article I posted, so that made me interpret it that way. My fault for reading different sources that I thought were complimentary. Feel free to lock the thread and I apologize for the trouble and misunderstanding.

Media

This makes me feel so much better, but the word spreading around the camp is already 'we are totally fucked, Obama has forsaken us, we are on our own.' I'll try to contact folk, but even with the clarification, we don't have a lot of hope with Trump entering the white house.

commedieu

Banned
Hey look at that. I just list all respect for Obama.

You can still fight even if its useless. Fuck his drone striking ass.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No prob. The reports were messy on the press' side with inconsistent updating and contradictory url titles so I understand how this could happen in earnest, but please try to check your sources in the future, and that goes for both the OP and all the folks reacting to excerpts with elaborate meltdown posts without anyone actually vetting the links provided. I think we're better than this, and clearly just too beaten down with the hundreds of grim news stories flooding in one after another right now. I feel ya.

I was shocked to see the headline myself, but when there's a report of Obama pulling a bizarre and uncharacteristic heel turn after 8 straight years of fighting tooth and nail for environmental advocacy and science-based climate change policy for the sake of the American people and the world, "fuck it, we're screwed anyway, bring on the sludge pipe" might be a red flag to take a moment to investigate what's up.

The future of all of this will rest mostly in public outcry soon. The day Obama hands over the keys, individual citizens and grassroots environmental organizations will be left to face off Chancellor Chinese Hoax and a Koch-sucking Congress of climate change deniers. I expect he's fully aware of this and how his final actions in office will set the tone for the very difficult battles to follow for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom