• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Warned Trump Against Hiring Mike Flynn, Say Officials

Obama: Do not jump, Trump.

87wQl.gif

WarMacheen

FYI, having a clearance means nothing if you don't have the need to know. Plenty of people are fired and keep their clearance but lose their access.

So: No access + no need to know + still having a clearance = you're not seeing anything.

Obscura

The absurdity of the spin.

"If Flynn was so bad, why did Obama only fire him?"

The mind boggles.

I know nothing about politics/government positions so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but how is that spin instead of a fair point? Is it common for fired govt employees to retain security clearance? Or am I just not comprehending your post correctly?

Edit: post directly above cleared this up.

boingball

Brilliant from Obama. As he himself said, if you want the Republican's to do something he has just to say the opposite. So by telling Trump to not hire Flynn he made Trump hire Flynn.

Ryuuroden

FYI, having a clearance means nothing if you don't have the need to know. Plenty of people are fired and keep their clearance but lose their access.

So: No access + no need to know + still having a clearance = you're not seeing anything.

Exact same thing my dad told me. He was in the air force and worked for the NSA in Germany in the late 1960s. Said he was not informed that his clearances had been revoked until more than a year after he left the military and even though he still had the clearance after he left it wasn't like that authorized him to see top secret info while out of the military. If he had tried, it would not of been given to him.

Trump is such a fool. Probably thought Obama was lying to him and trying to keep good people away from him. Or maybe he just thinks to do the opposite of what Obama says.

The second one.

Most of Trump's moves in office so far have been to spite Obama and/or eradicate his legacy. I have no doubt in my mind Flynn got chosen expressly because Obama advised against it. Your president, ladies and gents.

Smellycat

To be fair, it IS rather odd to tell someone that you can't trust a certain person because they are suspicious... a person that you fired yet maintained their security clearance. It doesn't make sense.

It still doesn't absolve the administration from not digging more into his background.

Top Bottom