• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obduction coming to PS4, PSVR, Vive in 2017

Tain

I just hope the movement controls are good, I'd like an option to teleport around like Batman any free movement games have made me feel queasy.

The current VR version of the game already has teleportation controls.

Plasma

Banned
The current VR version of the game already has teleportation controls.

Awesome I'm all in then, I've been trying to play Loading Human where I learned free movement using two move controllers is just a recipe for disaster you spend more time fighting the controls than you do playing the game.

I'm so pleased this is coming to ps4!

Was going to buy The Witness the other day but wanted to hold out to see if this came to ps4 as I reckon this is more my cup of tea!

Oh yes!

iratA

Support the Move Controllers on PSVR and Optimize the PRO mode and I'm there DAY 1 this looks so hot!

RuhRo

This is the closest thing I've seen to a VR killer app. Only Rez comes close. It's the first real successor to Myst and Riven! In VR! And it got rapturous reviews across the board! What more do you need to know?

Despite the critical acclaim, it's sitting about the 60,000 on SteamSpy, and most gamers seem unaware of its existence. No publisher and Cyan clearly didn't have any resources to generate PR.

Hope it can make a bigger splash on PS4/PSVR - a platform holder like Sony would be wise to give it a push, it feels like the kind of game that could sell your grandmother on VR, much as Myst did with CD-Roms.

Nzyme32

This is the closest thing I've seen to a VR killer app. Only Rez comes close. It's the first real successor to Myst and Riven! In VR! And it got rapturous reviews across the board! What more do you need to know?

Despite the critical acclaim, it's sitting about the 60,000 on SteamSpy, and most gamers seem unaware of its existence. No publisher and Cyan clearly didn't have any resources to generate PR.

Hope it can make a bigger splash on PS4/PSVR - a platform holder like Sony would be wise to give it a push, it feels like the kind of game that could sell your grandmother on VR, much as Myst did with CD-Roms.

I'm a huge Myst fan and I haven't bought it - simply because I would rather play it in VR for the sake of being in that world in a more compelling way. But to jump to the conclusion of "killer app" is the same old nonsense passed around these forums. It could be, but in all likelihood it won't be by the nature of the game itself and its mechanics. People seem to clutch to current gaming tropes as what will also define a VR "killer app". I'd place bets that this isn't going to be the case as is constantly proven in VR this far. No one knows what the best approaches are to VR and what will work, but it will be different to suit the medium.

Durante

I'm a huge Myst fan and I haven't bought it - simply because I would rather play it in VR for the sake of being in that world in a more compelling way. But to jump to the conclusion of "killer app" is the same old nonsense passed around these forums. It could be, but in all likelihood it won't be by the nature of the game itself and its mechanics. People seem to clutch to current gaming tropes as what will also define a VR "killer app". I'd place bets that this isn't going to be the case as is constantly proven in VR this far. No one knows what the best approaches are to VR and what will work, but it will be different to suit the medium.
Well said.

(I'm also waiting for full VR support including tracked controllers before buying this on Steam)

RuhRo

Except it's not a hypothetical - people have been demo-ing it in VR for more than a year. It's out on Rift right now. The "killer app" honorific is coming from people actually experiencing the game in VR. And the game was built with the VR medium in mind, from the very beginning of development.

There will doubtless be more out-there experiments with room-space tech and so forth yet to come, but that doesn't mean this isn't a great match for the medium. Myst was later eclipsed by other games that made more elaborate use of CD tech, but it's still regarded as an important early proof of concept for the format's potential.

I'm *also* a huge Myst fan who hasn't bought it yet, but that's purely because I'm holding out for the PSVR edition.

Another walking simulator. Just what we needed

And here we have a drive-by shitpost in it's natural environment, displaying its frills in a mark of misplaced superiority against predators and prey alike as it parades around. Often loud and aggressive, the shitpost is largely disliked and unwelcome but has few natural predators other than the elusive but deadly MobBot. It has an unwelcome pattern of permeating almost any topic and has a remarkable ability of turning even normal posters into sewage-dwelling cretins.

derFeef

Well said.

(I'm also waiting for full VR support including tracked controllers before buying this on Steam)

Pretty much. Hopefully they put some work into the Vive version.

mclem

In terms of immersiveness, I'm excited. But there's one big but, here:

I've played Myst, I've played Riven, I've played (the similiar-ish) The Witness. I haven't yet played Obduction (I Kickstarted it, so I have a copy. Might even already be entitled to a PS4 version, I'll have to check!), but there's one thing the first three had in common that I was expecting to do in Obduction as well, and it's something that doesn't really work in VR: Making notes. Those of you who've played it: Is it necessary in Obduction as well, or are the puzzles sufficiently non-dependent on cross-referencing information? Or is there a solution within the game to make note-taking unnecessary?

I wouldn't relish having to do Myst's piano puzzle through entirely committing the key information to memory!

RuhRo

In terms of immersiveness, I'm excited. But there's one big but, here:

I've played Myst, I've played Riven, I've played (the similiar-ish) The Witness. I haven't yet played Obduction (I Kickstarted it, so I have a copy. Might even already be entitled to a PS4 version, I'll have to check!), but there's one thing the first three had in common that I was expecting to do in Obduction as well, and it's something that doesn't really work in VR: Making notes. Those of you who've played it: Is it necessary in Obduction as well, or are the puzzles sufficiently non-dependent on cross-referencing information? Or is there a solution within the game to make note-taking unnecessary?

I wouldn't relish having to do Myst's piano puzzle through entirely committing the key information to memory!

Doesn't Obduction have an in-game screenshot function?

I know the later Myst games integrated the note-taking into the game itself (i.e., giving you a camera and an in-game journal) which worked nicely.

Top Bottom