• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity Rises Despite All Efforts to Fight It, U.S. Health Officials Say

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON — Despite years of efforts to reduce obesity in America, including a major push by Michelle Obama, federal health officials reported Thursday that the share of Americans who were obese had not declined in recent years, and had edged up slightly.

About 38 percent of American adults were obese in 2013 and 2014, up from 35 percent in 2011 and 2012. Researchers said the increase was small enough that it was not statistically significant. But to many in public health, it was surprising and disheartening.

“The trend is very unfortunate and very disappointing,” said Marion Nestle, a professor in the department of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “Everybody was hoping that with the decline in sugar and soda consumption, that we’d start seeing a leveling off of adult obesity.”

And compared with a decade ago, the increase was significant: In 2003 and 2004, about 32 percent of adults were obese, said the report’s lead author, Cynthia L. Ogden.

Health experts had hoped that gradual improvements in the American diet in recent years might have moved the needle on obesity. Consumption of full-calorie soda has dropped by a quarter since the late 1990s, and there is evidence that calorie intake has dropped for adults and children. Obesity began rising in the 1980s, but the rate flattened in the 2000s, and declines among young children in some cities had lifted expectations that the epidemic might be easing.

Obesity among young people was unchanged in 2013 and 2014 from the previous period, the report found. Seventeen percent of Americans ages 2 to 19 were obese, the same as in 2003 and 2004. Experts pointed out that far more work had been done to fight obesity in children, including changes in school lunches and the removal of sugar-sweetened beverages from some school systems.

The figures are from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the gold standard for federal health data, released every two years. For smaller slices of the American population — for example, women or blacks — researchers used four years of data, from 2011 through 2014, for the most reliable results.

Some of the most striking numbers were among minorities. About 57 percent of black women were obese from 2011 to 2014, the highest rate of any demographic. Next highest were Hispanic women, at 46 percent, and Hispanic men, at 39 percent. About 36 percent of white women were obese, and 34 percent of white men. The prevalence of obesity was lowest among Asians, who had a combined rate of about 12 percent.

Dr. Walter Willett, the chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health, cautioned that the modest improvements nationwide were extremely unevenly spread, with most of them happening among more educated Americans. A paper he helped write, published this month in Health Affairs, found that Americans’ diets had improved in quality from 1999 to 2012 — with a reduction in trans fats, small increases in fiber and less soda consumption — but that most of those advances were not happening among lower-income, less educated Americans.

“In general, there’s been a big gap” between rich and poor, Dr. Willett said. “When we take the U.S. average, we are hiding a lot of detail.”

There were a few other surprises. Men had more or less caught up to women in obesity prevalence in recent years, but the new numbers showed that women had edged ahead again, Dr. Ogden said. About 38 percent of adult women were obese from 2011 to 2014, the report found, compared with 34 percent of men.

Middle-aged Americans were hardest hit. Adults ages 40 to 59 had the highest rate of obesity, 40 percent, followed by people 60 and over, 37 percent of whom were obese. About 32 percent of 20- to 39-year-olds were obese.

Kelly D. Brownell, the dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke University, said the new figures were a reminder that many risks, such as the prevalence and inexpensiveness of junk food, had not gone away, and a sign that policy makers needed to redouble their efforts to, for example, impose a tax on soda.

“The emergency flag has gone up,” he said. “We are not doing nearly enough.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/h...orts-to-fight-it-us-health-officials-say.html

andycapps

Using BMI as the metric, right?

Let's not start that. For the vast majority of the population, BMI is a fairly accurate indicator of health. For those of us that lift and eat correctly, it's less accurate.

They need to put more of a focus on limiting (not eliminating) carbs and increasing protein consumption. More satiety and will lead to less fat gain.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Does "full calorie soda" include energy drinks? I feel like adults are also drinking more sugary and caloric beverages from places like Starbucks too.

Get rid of high fructose corn syrup in foods. So much fructose without fiber to balance it fucks with insulin production and is more readily converted to fat than other sugars.

Actually, cut out sugars and sweeteners in general.

High sodium processed foods are a big problem too in general. Stop buying frozen dinners and bagged sauces and make something from scratch.

Mistake

You mean to tell me the problem is growing? Like people with weight problems in the first place? If only there were some kind of solution, like less food and more physical activity.....

^^and yeah, less sugar or supplements for it would be good too

andthebeatgoeson

people need to stop with this shit

BMI is fine for most people

there are not enough body builders to account for these numbers
It's a good enough metric to follow the numbers. And it helps for most. I don't want the general populace talking about football players. And, if you follow football players, they have a higher mortality and lower survival. But teasing out if that is brain related or brawn related is tough.

CoryCubed

If we did more to address stress and treated each other better in all facets of life, I think that would go along way, as much or more than the other ways. So many of us stress eat, and some may not even know it, we just know we feel better.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Time to get the big guns out.
Healthy lifestyles aren't getting any more common. Find up something to speed up people's metabolism or something - losing energy can't be that hard.

Stike

Evrybody should look on YouTube for "Sugar - The Bitter Truth".
A great lecture of the scientific workings of sugar in the body and how it ends up causing an endless cycle of unhealthy eating.

andthebeatgoeson

Does "full calorie soda" include energy drinks? I feel like adults are also drinking more sugary and caloric beverages from places like Starbucks too.
It's every where. To make things taste good, is either fat, sugar or salt. Most processed foods pick sugar.

RDreamer

Checked a BMI calculator and I was on the lower end of obese for a little bit. Pulled myself together and lost about 25 pounds so far. Aiming to lose more. Now I'm in the "overweight" category and it kind of seems crazy what weight is in the healthy category.

andycapps

If they really want to tackle this epidemic, how about they work with big companies like Starbucks that serve drinks with 200-600 calories in them?

Paracelsus

Evrybody should look on YouTube for "Sugar - The Bitter Truth".
A great lecture of the scientific workings of sugar in the body and how it ends up causing an endless cycle of unhealthy eating.

I've gone with the simple "assumption" that the sugar your body doesn't need turns into fat and it's stored away, so avoiding fatty foods doesn't save you if you stuff yourself with glucose. From that point on, I simply check for the Glycemic Index of whatever I eat. I went from 189 to 152 in five months.

Mistake

It's every where. To make things taste good, is either fat, sugar or salt. Most processed foods pick sugar.
You're right. Another issue is that I have met almost no one who knows how to use herbs and spices properly. Most people rely on quick methods or things like bbq sauce. A properly cooked dish is easily messed up

Stike

I've gone with the simple "assumption" that the sugar your body doesn't need turns into fat and it's stored away, so avoiding fatty foods doesn't save you if you stuff yourself with glucose. From that point on, I simply check for the Glycemic Index of whatever I eat. I went from 189 to 152 in five months.
That's a good start!
I am doing the same now, looking for food with low sugar and as much fiber as possible

Pagusas

Elden Member
All efforts you say?

So we've tried subsidizing healthier foods so they dont cost an insane amount compared to junk?

We've tried removing the subsidies on corn syrup and the likes?

We've made tax credit incentives for not being a drag on the healthcare system?

We've stop trying to tell people its ok to be severely overweight and actually change the message to "You have a problem, lets treat it as an insurable medical issue and fix your health problem"

Or do they mean "we've tried everything that doesnt actually require us to do anything".

How tall are you? I'm 175, but I'm also 6ft, I intentionally gianed weight to get to this because when I was 155 I was wayyy to skiny, glad those dark ugly days are behind me.

Halcyon

Whatever it takes to get organic almond butter to cost less is what I want from this country.

That shit is still 9-10 dollars even at Walmart. Who do I have to suck off in washington to make healthier foods cheaper.

PillarEN

Not surprising. The amount of fast food commercials I see everywhere in the States is mesmerizing. I might have some fast food once a week in Europe (drunk snack usually) but when I'm in the States it's likely I have some kind of fast food every other day. Even when I'm not eating it I'm bombarded with it through audio and visuals everywhere. Hell on GAF there is that one poster who always posts about fast food "special new meals" and stuff. There is a whole culture of fast food which I haven't seen duplicated in other countries (well I saw it in Canada too but it was more about that Tim Horton's. Man I could really go for a Vanilla Dip doughnut right now).

RDreamer

All efforts you say?

So we've tried subsidizing healthier foods so they dont cost an insane amount compared to junk?

We've tried removing the subsidies on corn syrup and the likes?

We've made tax credit incentives for not being a drag on the healthcare system?

We've stop trying to tell people its ok to be severely overweight and actually change the message to "You have a problem, lets treat it as an insurable medical issue and fix your health problem"

Or do they mean "we've tried everything that doesnt actually require us to do anything".

Yeah I'm really not sure what efforts they're talking about. Michelle Obama had a push, sure, but wasn't that more centered on kids?

And we all know how a lot of conservatives took the black lady in the white house telling them they're probably eating wrong...

Sulik2

Make sugar a regulated substance like alcohol and you could make a big dent in this issue. Subsidize something other then corn would help too.

Yeah I'm really not sure what efforts they're talking about. Michelle Obama had a push, sure, but wasn't that more centered on kids?

And we all know how a lot of conservatives took the black lady in the white house telling them they're probably eating wrong...

Shit, look at how NYC took "Maybe your sugar water containers shouldn't be so big".

Whatever it takes to get organic almond butter to cost less is what I want from this country.

That shit is still 9-10 dollars even at Walmart. Who do I have to suck off in washington to make healthier foods cheaper.

Why would you eat that instead of, say.... butter?

Halcyon

Why would you eat that instead of, say.... butter?

MN003_Xl.jpg

This stuff is delicious.

danowat

Banned
It's a huge problem (pun not intended), hopefully future generations will have a better handle of nutrition and not leading a sedatary lifestyle.

I also think that there is a bit too much of an acceptance that obesity is becoming more socially ok, and that there are too many excuses that people trot out for being obese, having been there.

Halcyon

Walk more, eat less.

Organic almond butter is not the solution to obesity, jesus.

My point was foods made with healthier ingredients still cost quite a bit more than a cheap jar of sugary Skippy.

Edit: Actually I don't even care about that. I just for selfish reasons want some of this stuff to magically cost less because of some bullshit government push. I'm tired of my wife buying 9 dollar peanut butter.

Nikodemos

We did it with cigarettes...I know it would be tough though.
It's going to be a lot tougher since, unlike tobacco, fast food/sugary drinks aren't inherently unhealthy, merely their size and availability.

Edit: Actually I don't even care about that. I just for selfish reasons want some of this stuff to magically cost less because of some bullshit government push. I'm tired of my wife buying 9 dollar peanut butter.
Heck, the US gov could subsidise peanuts if they really wanted to keep subsidising an agroindustrial branch, and it'd still end up with a healthier population than subsidising corn.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I get that officials are disappointed that obesity didn't decline, but I'm disappointed that the headline of a NY Times article incorrectly reports that obesity rose, despite in the very second paragraph saying it was not a statistically significant difference. This means that the observed increase was likely due to sampling error and not a true increase in obesity rates.

This is extremely basic science literacy stuff and it would be nice if science reporting actually helped people a little bit in learning to interpret research findings rather than misinforming them for the sake of a snappier headline.

TEJ

I've dropped 25 pounds in just three months due to completely giving up on soda and just drinking water or unsweetened green tea (I sometimes have a bit of black coffee with no cream or sugar added).

Oh and I have been going outside for an hour per day walking.

I think the hardest thing to refrain from eating will be ice cream but I never ate much of it anyway.

-Minsc-

Some open questions for us all to reflect upon as we go about our days.

What is the purpose of that article?

What does the article classify as obese?

What choices are individuals making in their lives which could account to an increase in obesity?

Are individuals rejecting the idea that their own choices have led to their current state?

What are the differences in the individuals body makeup?

What effect does fat shaming have on the increase of obesity?

What effect does a persons genuine concern for an obese individual who points out a path which could lead to a better life being called "fat shaming" have on obesity.

Is being plump bad?

Is wanting to lose weight bad?

Is being obese normal?

Should we rely on government regulation to keep ourselves healthy?

If we have made a lifetime of bad choices which have had adverse effects on our bodies does this prevent us from turning around and making better choices from hereon?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Walk more, eat less.

Organic almond butter is not the solution to obesity, jesus.

Its both, you can walk all you want, if you eat like crap it wont do a damn thing. Almond Butter is just an example of how much more expensive eating heathy can be.

My wife and I, who are healthy 30 year olds thanks to going to the gym and so far having bodies that will let us eat whatever we want in reason, started trying to eat out less, eat more raw and home made foods. The Results? a DOUBLING of our monthly food expenditures. With dining out and simple grocery shopping we were spending around $600/month, switch to trying to eat more home made foods resulted in our average expenditures hitting $1100 a month, and thats shopping at Walmart and Kroger (We dont dare try going to Market Street or Central Market).

There is some f'd up logic in our health world where our government has "tried everything" yet the price of eating healthy is still way more than eating junk. Money is the first tool the government should have turned to, its what it interferes with in all other instances! Its what it uses to do everything, yet in this one case the government doesn't even do a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom