• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion is one of the worst sequels in gaming history

nib95

Banned
I got bored of it very quickly. Also felt the combat and animations were amusingly bad. I'm still baffled at how these games continually get the kind of critical acclaim they do.

vocab

but didn't this start happened to most games because of the scale/graphics involved in them compared to what we had before?

I always see this happening with a lot,if not most, RPGs game both western and japanese as gaming generations progressed. Better lookin/sounding games, bigger but with less content.

Yes, that is one of the reasons a few people have against Deus Ex Human Revolution. With graphics like that it's hard to produce a lot content with out reusing assets or going over budget.

nkarafo

The whole scaling thing ruined the game. There was no point or sense of reward by leveling up. You never left like you are making your character stronger, which should be the point of leveling up in the first place.

Oblivion had a fantastic soundtrack and had great atmosphere for an rpg at that time. The fighting mechanics and rpg elements were pretty bad, but it was always fun to just walk around and take in the setting. I enjoyed my time with it.

It paved the way for the open-world phenomenon, you fool. There was nothing like it at the time in that gen. To call it bad is a matter of personal taste. It was objectively unique and un-comparable.

Sure Morrowind was better, but Morrowind was on a completely different gen, on a completely different console, where NPC's stood still. These NPC's had schedules and AI. It was mind-blowing. Sure it was primitive and aged poorly, but that's because of the games that it inspired. They took the torch and ran and left it behind in the dust. Without it, we'd be playing the Witcher 3 in hallways. The DLC was incredible as well.

We can sit here and talk about how lame it was to swing your sword at a troll 59 times to kill it at level 29, but that's missing the point of the game

Also, horse armor

pislit

It's disappointing yes, but not on the level of devil may cry 2, very far from it.

Oscuro(?) Oblivion Overhaul made it my go to game for ages. Lol played 1000+ hours with a gazillion more mods.

bobawesome

I played a few hours of Morrowind prior to Oblivion but the latter absolutely blew me away. It grabbed me in a way that Skyrim never did.

Top Bottom