• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

Odrion

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Yeah, I've consistently thought, "You know, this PSP game could have easily been done on a cell phone. They are pretty much the same."

[/super duper mongo rolleyes]

You must be confused. I said it won't be a port but a different game in the same universe, like the cell phone game, you know?

[edit: Thanks victim of Hitler's thievery!]

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
It's ridiculous to buy a console based on a single title. If you own a 360 now, you should have had more reasons than Oblivion to purchase it. Not everyone can afford to own both systems, so it'll be great for those who adopt a PS3 to be able to play a great game, too. Unless Sony comes out of the gate with a shit ton of ridiculous announcements that send MS home with it's tail between it's legs, I'm not about to throw my 360 in the trash.

But the PSP version on the other hand...wtf indeed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Speevy said:
Since this game fits on a DVD, I wonder if they'll use more than 9 GB in the PS3 version.

Well, I am sure that there is a space reason why each regional release of Oblivion on Xbox 360 did not have the option of English subtitles (or subtitles in other languages since Bethesda had to make them anyways) or English text for the books you can read inside the game... at least that is what birds say ;).

Eltrium

Banned
Well, I am sure that there is a space reason why each regional release of Oblivion on Xbox 360 did not have the option of English subtitles (or subtitles in other languages since Bethesda had to make them anyways) or English text for the books you can read inside the game... at least that is what birds say ;).
yeah sure, text takes a lot of space. I remember the Planescape Torment (most talkative RPG ever released) dialog file beeing 6.8MB large, WOW.

snatches said:
I personally am glad about the news, and as I've stated before, I hope this indicates a trend to make all third party games multiplatform. Gaming is the sole entertainment media that requires multiple proprietary mediums and it absolutely is stunting the growth of the games market.

Thanks for the info, by the way.

I will have to disagree with you on proprietary mediums thing. This situation is actually fairly common. You've got Apple vs. the world on computers. There's currently a mess in the digital music world that's pretty much Apple vs. the world. There's about to be a mess in the high definition DVD world. Memory stick vs. common sense. PalmOS vs. Windows in smart devices.

Not really related, but the million types of power adaptors really piss me the fuck off, too.

Nick Laslett said:
So, will the PS3 version be better?

i.e. Better use of harddrive to improve the game, framerate?
Less bugs?
Additional content?

Most likely it will include all the add-ons released up to that point, and possibly some "time-exclusive" based content.

Performance related improvements are anyone's guess...

Eltrium said:
you mean "Fallout 3: Morrowind with Guns" ? :(

Why do you assume that? You know what they say about assumptions and the people who make them. Give Bethesda some credit and at least wait on screens and details before you tear them down.

Beowolf

Banned
sonyown.gif

Wollan

I have nothing against Fallout 3 going either ways. I will be just as happy with 'Morrowind with guns' as an isometric d&d adventure.

Eltrium

Banned
About 1% of the dialogue was actually spoken, chief.
learn to read.

Why do you assume that? You know what they say about assumptions and the people who make them. Give Bethesda some credit and at least wait on screens and details before you tear them down.
Bethesda never wrote a good line of dialog, they completly dumbed down the stats system for Oblivion and introduced the console-esque (and broken) "monster level up with you" system. If they want to reach the PS3 audience, they will go even lower.

Razoric

Banned
Eltrium said:
learn to read.

Bethesda never wrote a good line of dialog, they completly dumbed down the stats system for Oblivion and introduced the console-esque (and broken) "monster level up with you" system. If they want to reach the PS3 audience, they will go even lower.

wow

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eltrium said:
yeah sure, text takes a lot of space. I remember the Planescape Torment (most talkative RPG ever released) dialog file beeing 6.8MB large, WOW.

Look, it might be small (I am not sure how they store their books for example), but it might be 6.8+ MB * number of different languages they did not have :p.

It might be BS, but do not question me... question the bird... ;).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You heard wrong. Oblivion is bigger than Morrowind though it's easier to get around in Oblivion because of fast travel.

The increased drawdistance probably makes it seem smaller too

o/t, but since people have mentioned it, anybody give a link to the legendary "RE4 announced for PS2" thread"? I've searched, but can't find the original

Midas

Guy LeDouche said:
o/t, but since people have mentioned it, anybody give a link to the legendary "RE4 announced for PS2" thread"? I've searched, but can't find the original

You can probably find it in the archive.

The most interesting part with this new information - if it turns out to be true - is that we may have an actually release date for the PS3. Did people overlook this or did you ignore it so you could continue an endless discussion regarding however Oblivion will look better or worse on PS3? :)

Eltrium said:

Level scaling enemies don't really bother me, item scaling does however. And I don't think it has anything to do with it being "dumbed down" for consoles either. Morrowind was fundamentally flawed in that once your character becomes god-like the game turned into a complete bore (enter your MORROWIND WAS ALREADY BORING!1! joke here). The scaling monsters at least makes the game challenging and interesting no matter how powerful your character is.

Draft

Eltrium said:
learn to read.

reading is hard. though I DID actually misunderstand you at first, and that's why I stealth edited my post.

I actually felt dumb for a second, but then you busted out that super stupid troll so now I feel better :)

snatches

mmlemay said:
Thanks for the info, by the way.

I will have to disagree with you on proprietary mediums thing. This situation is actually fairly common. You've got Apple vs. the world on computers. There's currently a mess in the digital music world that's pretty much Apple vs. the world. There's about to be a mess in the high definition DVD world. Memory stick vs. common sense. PalmOS vs. Windows in smart devices.

Not really related, but the million types of power adaptors really piss me the fuck off, too.

Yes, there are holes in my statement. But look at CD's and DVD's. The reason for their wholesale success and adoption rate is due to the uniformity of the format. If games were standardized to a single format the games market would grow exponentially. And as far as Apple goes, they are a really really small player in overall computer software sales.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
goldenpp72 said:
Are you a bethesda rep or something vark?

He is, or watch out for what one Stevemeister might say.

Although one way or another, true or not, they probably couldn't say. Although probably more particularly if it was true..

xBigDanx

Wakune said:
Hey dumbass, he said physics not animation

Physics is about how things move... animation is about things moving... I think there could possibly be a connection.

EDIT: Jesus, this is a late response... didn't realize we were on page 6 already. lawl.

Vark

xBigDanx said:
Physics is about how things move... animation is about things moving... I think there could possibly be a connection.

EDIT: Jesus, this is a late response... didn't realize we were on page 6 already. lawl.

Physics is about how things react, not how they move.

Geoff9920

goldenpp72 said:
If a rep doesn't deny it then it must be true.

Oh well, heres to halo 3 not coming to pc.

Vark & Stevemeister are just members here, they're not PR reps in any sense of the word.

goldenpp72

Oh I see..

I think I recall a vark now actually, weren't you the guy that got all the oblivion achievements before it even came out?

Top Bottom