• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

Ponn

Banned
I'm not surprised. I've been saying for quite some time now I expect far more multiplatform games and far less exclusives. Higher development costs mean publishers are going to want to get their money's worth out of the games they put out. With relatively no gap between MS and Sony this gen it makes even more sense.

The exclusives we see will still be important but I think they will be a bit more obvious. Like PC developers favoring 360 for a similar development enviornment they are use to and more western development with ties to MS (or who have been outright bought by them) and for Sony the eastern games that just aren't going to be bother to be ported to 360 that happen to come out over here in NA (like your DQ's and FF's).

Vark

goldenpp72 said:
If a rep doesn't deny it then it must be true.

Oh well, heres to halo 3 not coming to pc.

It's more fun to be vague.

On one hand if people deny rumors then people assume them to be true. But if you KNOW that people are going to think something is true if you deny and its NOT true them maybe its more fun to NOT say anything and let people think you did in fact confirm it with your denial even though you were being honest.

Buy Horse Armor! :p

Wollan said:
I can't let this go unused.

Consolerape.jpg

leftovers.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Vark said:
Buy Horse Armor! :p

Oh, this thread just keeps getting better and better :lol !! 360 rape pics, horse armor shilling, confusing denial/confirmation statements...

The only thing we are missing is the Iraqi guy with his hands out saying something like "Remain calm, there's plenty of Oblivion to go around."

Majmun

Row said:
In terms of size:

Arena, Daggerfall >>>>>>>>> GTA:SA > Oblivion > Morrowind > GTA:VC > GTA3

The world of San Andreas is bigger than Oblivion's?

Are there any sites on the net where you can compare the maps? thx.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I heard its fake.
The information I´ve got was that the Oblivion-team is divided in three groups now. One is working with Fallout3, one is laying the foundation for Elder V and the third is working on expansions for PC/360..

at least that was the information I got..

Second said:
The world of San Andreas is bigger than Oblivion's?

Are there any sites on the net where you can compare the maps? thx.

San Andreas IS bigger than Oblivion though I doubt by comparing maps would give anyone a good idea just how these two game compare scale wise.

GhaleonEB

Vark said:
It's more fun to be vague.

On one hand if people deny rumors then people assume them to be true. But if you KNOW that people are going to think something is true if you deny and its NOT true them maybe its more fun to NOT say anything and let people think you did in fact confirm it with your denial even though you were being honest.
For some reason the scene from the Pricess Bride came to mind reading this.

"So the truth clearly cannot be in the cup in front of me!" :lol

Ranger X

Do you think maybe the buzz for this game could be quite dead by the time it's on PS3? (if it's ever.)

Seriously i mean, maybe it could become "the PS3's FF11"...

GhaleonEB

Maximilian E. said:
I heard its fake.
The information I´ve got was that the Oblivion-team is divided in three groups now. One is working with Fallout3, one is laying the foundation for Elder V and the third is working on expansions for PC/360..

at least that was the information I got..
Source? (M. Yass?)

syllogism

GhaleonEB said:
Source? (M. Yass?)

He and gamereactor are probably talking about this interview

Urizin: If there are noticeable bugs after the game is released, will there be patches or updates?

Pete Hines: Yeah if there is stuff that is found out after the game comes out that needs to be addressed we’ll certainly address it whether it’s a problem with a game or somebody says “gee it would be nice to have this feature,” or “I wish this would work this way” and it’s something that we can do simply then yeah we can easily do a game update to address those kind of things.

And what’s next the Bethesda team? According to Pete, once the game is shipped the team will be split into groups. One group will focus on support for Oblivion such as patches, updates, and expansions. Another group will focus on the next Elder Scrolls game. And finally one group will be working on Fallout 3.

fronn

Ranger X said:
Do you think maybe the buzz for this game could be quite dead by the time it's on PS3? (if it's ever.)

Seriously i mean, maybe it could become "the PS3's FF11"...

There's a couple rather large differences between the two though -- 1) this will be a 6month old game vs 4 year old game, 2) Oblivion is a much better game than FF11. It wouldn't surprise me if the hype died down a lot in the 6 months, but I wouldn't say they are all that comparable.

Odysseus

Banned
snatches said:
It's funny how some posters are assuming this is a fanboy flame war without actually reading the thread:lol

I personally am glad about the news, and as I've stated before, I hope this indicates a trend to make all third party games multiplatform. Gaming is the sole entertainment media that requires multiple proprietary mediums and it absolutely is stunting the growth of the games market.

ONE CONSOLE FUTURE

ftw

Sony, Microsoft, just get in bed together and make everyone* happy.

*Except for forumdwellers

Ranger X

fronn said:
There's a couple rather large differences between the two though -- 1) this will be a 6month old game vs 4 year old game, 2) Oblivion is a much better game than FF11. It wouldn't surprise me if the hype died down a lot in the 6 months, but I wouldn't say they are all that comparable.

Well, i agree FF11 is war more old ass...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Will be interesting to see Oblivionon the PS3, aside from any improvements in how it runs/looks, I'd be worried about how it would play on the control pad.

Analogues on Sony consoles have all been horrible, this is only amplified with FPS games. Hope they get it right with the PS3.

kaizoku said:
Will be interesting to see Oblivionon the PS3, aside from any improvements in how it runs/looks, I'd be worried about how it would play on the control pad.

Analogues on Sony consoles have all been horrible, this is only amplified with FPS games. Hope they get it right with the PS3.

It plays great on the 360 controller and I'm sure it'll be just as good on the PS3 one.

Amir0x

Banned
kaizoku said:

it sure would be neat if they allowed keyboard+mouse on the PS3 version... sure would be nice

Mau ®

The fuckers at TXB told me it wouldn't happen!!! Look who's laughing!! LOL LOL LOL

Its official. Im getting the PS3.

Im also really interested in the PSP version...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Amir0x said:
it sure would be neat if they allowed keyboard+mouse on the PS3 version... sure would be nice

Do you know what else would be awesome? What else would rock?

A gold-shitting pony. All mine, nobody else's. Sharing's for losers!

RavenFox

Banned
Zenith said:
I don't think they'll be many changes for the PS3 version. I'm sure there could be, I just don't think Bethesda will put the effort in.
Sony is not allowing ports per say. They want devs to take advantage of cell/RSX and its attributes. Also how can you just port this game? Think about it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
RavenFox said:
Sony is not allowing ports per say. They want devs to take advantage of cell/RSX and its attributes.

Pretty much anything that runs on the system is taking advantage of it to one degree or another ;) I don't think Sony would turn its nose at Oblivion, at all.

RavenFox said:
Also how can you just port this game? Think about it.

It's already multi-platform. Most or all of the middleware used in it is available on PS3. I don't see why it'd be a problem.

Technically there's absolutely no reason why it can't happen. The question is just if it will or not ;)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:D @ PS3
:lol @ PSP

So Oblivion and FF will be available on one console, it's just not the 360 like some were hoping for. :D

Amir0x

Banned
xsarien said:
Do you know what else would be awesome? What else would rock?

A gold-shitting pony. All mine, nobody else's. Sharing's for losers!

A gold-shitting pony is probably more likely than k+m for PS3 Oblivion!

Speevy

Banned
inthezone said:
The fuckers at TXB told me it wouldn't happen!!! Look who's laughing!! LOL LOL LOL

Its official. Im getting the PS3.

Im also really interested in the PSP version...

No need to go crazy man.

Beowvlf

Banned
I've always thought Bethesda would be crazy not to port it to the PS3 for the November launch. It's already complete, it's a full fledged RPG and will most likely be the only one available at launch on the PS3, it's AAA and it'll be the Christmas season combined with launch megahype.

It's easy money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ponn01 said:
I thought I read K + M were going to be supported by the PS3?

It's down to the dev, AFAIK. They can support that if they want, as long as the controller is also supported.

Jim

Ponn01 said:
I thought I read K + M were going to be supported by the PS3?

They would work, and I don't think Sony would mind, but I think it's ultimately up to the developer.

Top Bottom