• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian Entertainment no longer working on Armored Warfare (also more layoffs?)

MartyStu

You're unlikely to get a world without Obsidian, but Obsidian is a 200+ person studio, and just combining the teams from Eternity and Tyranny would only keep around 50 or so of them employed.

I hate to be that guy, but I can live with that if it comes to it.

Sou Da

I think their best bet is selling out to Warner Bros actually. Warner is on the war path for acquisitions right now and has already bought two studios in the past few weeks.

Does Warner publish Original IPs? I can't help but feel Obsidian would be stuck in "Witcher-like" Middle Earth hell for a decade.

Nairume

Banned
I think their best bet is selling out to Warner Bros actually. Warner is on the war path for acquisitions right now and has already bought two studios in the past few weeks.
Obsidian potentially having access to Tolkien and Mad Max would be pretty sweet.

pa22word

Does Warner publish Original IPs? I can't help but feel Obsidian would be stuck in "Witcher-like" Middle Earth hell for a decade.

Dying Light

Maybe they would let them do their own thing, but ME is more likely. Still, there's room for creativity in ME.

The Wart

CD Projekt of America anyone...? No idea if that is even remotely feasible, but man that would be cool.

Hopefully they saw the writing on the wall for this one early enough that they aren't relying on this income stream too heavily.

diablogod

It's crazy, Obsidian made some of my favorite games of all time but they cant seem to find any stable ground lately it seems.

cheesekao

I just checked and one of them is developing a Cars 3 tie-in game and another is a mobile developer. I'm not sure if they're looking for "big'" studios at the moment.

pa22word

CD Projekt of America anyone...? No idea if that is even remotely feasible, but man that would be cool.

Hopefully they saw the writing on the wall for this one early enough that they aren't relying on this income stream too heavily.

Obsidian is anathema to CDPR's publishing strategy tho. Their gig is that they reap the rewards of making AAA level games in Poland on the cheap and export it to bigger markets for massive profit vs what someone like 2K gets making games in California. Unless they go on a massive expansion, I don't see them pumping out money for a hugely expensive studio in Cali like obsidian.

Zukkoyaki

I just checked and one of them is developing a Cars 3 tie-in game and another is a mobile developer. I'm not sure if they're looking for "big'" studios at the moment.
The belief is based on recent statements and reports that the company recognises their current slate of studios isn't enough for consistent meaningful releases and is keeping their eyes open for potential acquisitions. It's somewhat conjecture but there aren't many other conclusions to reach.

There are worse fates, aren't there? I mean sure they'd be making licensed games, but it seems like WB is giving their studios a lot if freedom to make the best game possible, and the game they want to make, within the licensed criteria. Even to WBs detriment, as we saw with Suicide Squad languishing in hell and then getting cancelled. Plus they have so many ips to work on.

Obsidian can make that Harry Potter RPG that no one ever knew they wanted.

Sou Da

]There are worse fates, aren't there? [/B]I mean sure they'd be making licensed games, but it seems like WB is giving their studios a lot if freedom to make the best game possible, and the game they want to make, within the licensed criteria. Even to WBs detriment, as we saw with Suicide Squad languishing in hell and then getting cancelled. Plus they have so many ips to work on.

I guess but it would be a shame to see things like Sawyer's historical turn based RPG disappear.

Nairume

Banned
There are worse fates, aren't there? I mean sure they'd be making licensed games, but it seems like WB is giving their studios a lot if freedom to make the best game possible
Not to mention some of Obsidian's best work was licensed to begin with, so they could easily do good work even if WB had them stick to licensed stuff.

Arulan

I hope they find their way to economic stability. They've made some of the best games in the RPG genre, both at Obsidian proper, and at Black Isle and Troika, from which a lot of their employees come from.

The struggle to remain independent has no doubt been very difficult for them, but as history has shown, they wouldn't be able to make the games they do without that independence (see BioWare). Paradox is perhaps one of the only publishers of whom may be a good fit, but if they can remain independent, that's the better option.

For anyone who isn't aware, the fig campaign for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is ongoing.

source.gif

pa22word

There are worse fates, aren't there? I mean sure they'd be making licensed games, but it seems like WB is giving their studios a lot if freedom to make the best game possible, and the game they want to make, within the licensed criteria. Even to WBs detriment, as we saw with Suicide Squad languishing in hell and then getting cancelled. Plus they have so many ips to work on.

Come on, you all know the secret Bugs Bunny RPG is the real ace in the hole Obsidian has been waiting their entire lives to make!

cheesekao

The belief is based on recent statements and reports that the company recognises their current slate of studios isn't enough for consistent meaningful releases and is keeping their eyes open for potential acquisitions. It's somewhat conjecture but there aren't many other conclusions to reach.
I didn't know that. I guess Obsidian being picked up could be a possibility.

Almighty

I am not surprised. Obsidian always seems to be living from paycheck to paycheck. Hopefully they pull through, but my guess is that will either come at the cost of being bought or becoming a much smaller company. Either way I just hope we don't lose another legendary RPG developer.

shanew21

It seems like Obsidian have been screwed over on most of their projects with publishers.

Kotor 2 development cut short.
Disney cancelling Dwarves.
New Vegas metacritic bonus.
Sega cancelling Aliens: Crucible.
Microsoft cancelling Stormlands.
At this point I'd argue Obsidian might be more to blame. If the shoe fits.

pa22word

Zenimax make the call and have Obsidian make a Fallout spin-off like New Vegas.
Dishonored 2 didn't do as hot as they wanted, so I would imagine Harvey Smith would be getting a call much earlier than Feargus would in that scenario.

I am not surprised. Obsidian always seems to be living from paycheck to paycheck. Hopefully they pull through, but my guess is that will either come at the cost of being bought or becoming a much smaller company. Either way I just hope we don't lose another legendary RPG developer.

They're like the textbook-definition of "starving artist" at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if their studio is filled with cockroaches and still has those old gasline heaters underneath the windows.

LewieP

Zenimax make the call and have Obsidian make a Fallout spin-off like New Vegas.

I don't think Zenimax want to work with outside studios these days. Maybe they'd acquire Obsidian, but I can't really see that happening. I guess they have just got a big cash injection.

pa22word

At this point I'd argue Obsidian might be more to blame. If the shoe fits.

This might have some weight if Obsidian wasn't basically the last man standing of independent studios after hundreds of them closed during the exact same situations during the 7th gen.

I think it speaks more to the quality of Obsidian leadership that they have lasted this long when everyone else around them either went tits up or was bought out.

No, it's not bad luck. It's just the way the industry is and has been since the mid 2000s.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, if it was just Obsidian how do you explain the independent studio genocide that happened during the 7th gen? I mean who's left, really? Platinum, Avalanche, Obsidian, Techland, Insomniac, and Remedy are really the only guys I can think of who still make these types of games while remaining independent, and PG, Remedy, and Obsidian are struggling atm. This vs the hundreds of like studios that were around leading up to the 7th gen.

Obsidian just gets more attention both because they make great games that people love and they're miraculously still standing around to tell the tales at all. The sad thing is that there are hundreds of these stories from thousands of other devs that you've never heard about because they weren't Obsidian.

pa22word

I know people here won't like that opinion, but I think Zenimax would absolutely be the best case scenario for them.

This is going to sound morbid and I hate saying it, but this Armored Warfare thing + the layoffs seem like good timing if Zenimax wanted to buy them. They could probably get the studio for peanuts atm, plus with the added cash from the Facebook thing it might as well be a write off to go ahead and pick them up right now.

I think they probably won't because they probably want to consolidate a little atm given how rapidly they've expanded here lately, and adding another AAA studio, one situated in Cali of all places probably doesn't sound that attractive in the long term.

The Wart

It's funny, Obsidian wasn't on my radar at all until the post-Pillars period, so in my mind they're a 50-75 person isometric isometric RPG developer that happens to share an office with 200 people working on a tank MMO. So personally them going small would not feel like a big loss to me.

I think Tim Cain is supposed to be working on something bigger budget -- I wonder if that project can absorb some of the Armored Warfare team? Though it's also possible that the loss of AW will jeopardize that project.

Roboculus

Square hasn't fucked them over, but it is a little peculiar that Square hasn't worked with them since.

Feargus Urquhart was on IGN Unfiltered last month and he mentioned that Square-Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2

Sounds like some Square-Enix games didn't sell so well so they changed their mind because the Deus Ex team needed something to work on.

A similar situation happened with Ubisoft choosing to have the South Park sequel done internally (they never even contacted Obsidian).

Feargus Urquhart was on IGN Unfiltered last month and he mentioned that Square-Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2

Sounds like some Square-Enix games didn't sell so well so they changed their mind because the Deus Ex team needed something to work on.

Wouldn't have mattered. They became deathly afraid of next gen flopping, and were trying to transition their franchises into mmos anyway.

It would have probably been cancelled, or shoved out the door like Thief. Not that that's abnormal for Obsidian.

shingi70

Banned
Hate to be the that guy, but is Obsdian being in doesn't all that important. Hell I wouldn't mind them being bought by Warner and forced to crap out DC RPGs as long as the developers get to eat.

LewieP

A similar situation happened with Ubisoft choosing to have the South Park sequel done internally (they never even contacted Obsidian).

Maybe now that SE have no studios to work on Deus Ex (since signing on to do Avengers), Obsidian could be a good fit for a new one, but I kind of think SE want to give it a rest given that Mankind Divided didn't light up the sales charts.

Arulan

Hate to be the that guy, but is Obsdian being in doesn't all that important. Hell I wouldn't mind them being bought by Warner and forced to crap out DC RPGs as long as the developers get to eat.

Then they'd be making shallow mainstream RPGs. All the while the talent begins a mass exodus from the company. You only have to look into history.

I know Obsidian wants to work on AAA games, but if they plan to stay independent (and maybe they don't), I think their best bet is to give up the ghost and slim down to ~80 people who can reliably turn out high-quality games for the mid-to-low budget CRPG market. Hell, they don't even all have to be CRPGs. But if Obsidian can keep creating original IPs (not an option at the AAA level), they may strike gold at some point with the kind of breakout hit you can grow the studio off of.

Vamphuntr

It seems like Obsidian have been screwed over on most of their projects with publishers.

Kotor 2 development cut short.
Disney cancelling Dwarves.
New Vegas metacritic bonus.
Sega cancelling Aliens: Crucible.
Microsoft cancelling Stormlands.

There was also a Wheel of Time game that never came to be among other projects. They have a history of projects being canned unfortunately. Crowdfunding brought them back to the games fans enjoyed from them but I'm not sure that is viable for moderately big development teams. We should be thanking the investors making these projects possible.

This company has zero luck.

They suffer the same growing pains that other studios do, but I would hardly say they have zero luck...

In the last 5 years, they have arguably had the biggest creative output that the studio has had in there almost 15 years of development. That's not something you can do as an unlucky independent studio.

IMO, Obsidian is one of the strongest independent studios currently around. Layoffs sadly happen, especially when you take on the projects that Obsidian typically takes on to stay in business (i.e. Armored Warfare, Skyforge and Pathfinder Adventures) meanwhile, over the last 5 years they have been able to flex their creative muscles with South Park, PoE (and it's forthcoming sequel) and Tyranny. That's not the output of an unlucky studio. IMO it's just par for the course in this industry.

Miletius

The fact that we still have Obsidian around is kind of a miracle, considering their luck with cancelled projects. Tyranny was an absolute joy to play and I already pledged to Pillars 2 -- I hope they can continue to put out that kind of content.

Also, as an aside, Avellone is clearly still really invested in the company despite his falling out with the management team. Here is hoping they can resolve their differences and work together again.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I think Tim Cain is supposed to be working on something bigger budget -- I wonder if that project can absorb some of the Armored Warfare team? Though it's also possible that the loss of AW will jeopardize that project.

He supposedly is. Feargus posted the following in the Fig comments the other day:

Tim isn't work on Deadfire this time around. While that may sound disappointing, Tim is working on something new. It's nothing we can talk about yet, or for a while, but when we can - I think everyone is going to be super excited over what it is.

Then they'd be making shallow mainstream RPGs. All the while the talent begins a mass exodus from the company. You only have to look into history.

What's this mass of talent that would leave but didn't when most of the company was working on a Russian tank MMO?

The Wart

What's this mass of talent that would leave but didn't when most of the company was working on a Russian tank MMO?

The talent working on other projects and/or hoping to work on other projects in the future? A big publisher would be unlikely to let them work on projects like Pillars or Tyranny, even on the side.

Azih

Based on the pathfinder adventure game and the leaked survey a few months ago it seems likely they are working on a Pathfinder CRPG. Basically a classic D&D game set in the Golarion campaign setting.

Top Bottom