• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocelot in MGSV is so god damn boring.

Two Words

Looking back at this game, I don't know how they managed to botch this so badly. He is nothing but the perpetual tutorial-man/guy who moves the plot along when it gets stuck. I struggle to think of anything significant that he's ever done in the game.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Oceleot was just kind of there to remind you that it's a Metal Gear game. Was a shame that he didn't do all that much. At least Miller was cool with all his angst.

Looking back at this game, I don't know how they managed to botch this so badly. He is nothing but the perpetual tutorial-man/guy who moves the plot along when it gets stuck. I struggle to think of anything significant that he's ever done in the game.
well he did
groom Venom Snake to be a doppelganger of Big Boss
that's pretty important, i guess.

Like many things about this game, he was just utterly boring and soulless. Hardly anything felt "right" in the grand scheme of the MGS franchise and what you're saying I think can be applied to so many other elements. Ocelot is boring, Miller is boring (and an all around terrible character), and Snake is just... nothing. It completely lacked the personalities and quirk of everything about the series.

Roldan

"That's Digitalis. It's poisonous, but it can also be used as medicine."

C'mon. He's like, the best botanist.

Jawmuncher

Like many things about this game, he was just utterly boring and soulless. Hardly anything felt "right" in the grand scheme of the MGS franchise and what you're saying I think can be applied to so many other elements. Ocelot is boring, Miller is boring (and an all around terrible character), and Snake is just... nothing. It completely lacked the personalities and quirk of everything about the series.

Miller was the best. It made sense for him to be an asshole the entire game.
Guess I just like my jerk characters.

CloudNein

Would've been nice if we actually saw hints of his true self, ala MGS1, the real ocelot. We get some PG version or something.

Moaradin

yeah I miss gun twirling, scheming triple agent Ocelot. MGSV had none of that. He was a background character the entire time. All I could hear was Troy Baker and not Ocelot.

SoulUnison

Banned
*Snake see a helicopter for the 500th time*
"Boss, that's an enemy gunship!"

They couldn't even bother to record more than one line for that?
So many of the characters seemed to be condescending to me/Venom over the entire course of the game because they didn't have any lines beyond the "This is the first time you've encountered this" version.
It's like the VA equivalent of Zelda reminding you what something is every time you pick it up.

Also, is MGSV like, the third time in the series that Ocelot has "hypnotized" himself? What were they *thinking* trying to pull that shit again?

I was really looking forward to him, especially after MGS3. Heck I thought we could have at least had some missions where him and venom team up but nope :/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Only character with an actual arc was Quiet.

Kind of amazing when you think about it. Only character worth a shit was the one ridiculed for their appearance and barely muttered a sound in a game overflowing with near-endless exposition. And yet she was the only character that had development that actually lead somewhere.

What a weird fuckin game.

I think it comes together in that final...revelation chapter and shows us why Kaz and Ocelot differed on Big Boss. Would have been cool to go into missions with him.

Jawmuncher

*Snake see a helicopter for the 500th time*

"Boss, that's an enemy gunship!"

:Ocelot:

"Stay low so you won't be spotted"

Miller won me over in the cassette tapes. He's at his best in those.

Yep he definitely came through in those. You can't say Kaz was boring after hearing about his Burgers.

Miller was the best. It made sense for him to be an asshole the entire game.
Guess I just like my jerk characters.

It made sense considering the direction of the game/story overall but that was my problem, it didn't have the soul or charm of the earlier games. People often criticize the series of being stupid and wacky, but MGSV was stupid and wacky without the bells and whistles that actually made it enjoyable in the past. It's always been a ridiculous series, but highly memorable and fun; it felt like there was a method to the madness up until Peace Walker and this game, and hell, even Peace Walker by comparison had more of what I like about the series. It was like they tried to make it more dark and "grounded" but... didn't. When you do a story like this you have to strike a certain tone and the previous games did so with their chin held high.

Worse was that he doesn't even look or sound like Snake Eater Ocelot.

The power of reverse hypnosis: Venom Ocelot.

Thankfully, Vengeful Kaz is god tier in V.

malfcn

It felt weird going from a series where each game had so many layers and depth to this empty production.

The whole game you are chasing a Phantom. Literally.
You were trying to find a story to decipher. Instead you got mission after mission for our against shell corporations.
Then there was about 5 missions of actual story, it was short and sort of lame.

The end.

No twins, no memes, no wills.

A real waste of Troy Baker. The character just never lived up to who he's been in the previous games, mostly do to lack of...that character. Dude's not around a lot.
Same could be said of everyone but maybe Quiet. All the actors did a good job, even Kiefer, they just didn't have anything interesting to say.

As it is the game's story is more of a cameo fest. It's all your favorites...not doing shit.

Durden77

Yes. Yes he was.

Easily my least favorite part about MGSV. They didn't even get his design right. Where the fuck is his widow's peak?

Ocelot is damn near the main character of the MGS series, so to see him botched so badly really bugged me. I koved the rest of the game tho.

Not only is he and the whole support team rather dull, but there is ZERO transition from Josh Keaton Adamska to Zimmerman's Revolver Ocelot. Neither in voice or personality.

Jawmuncher

It made sense considering the direction of the game/story overall but that was my problem, it didn't have the soul or charm of the earlier games. People often criticize the series of being stupid and wacky, but MGSV was stupid and wacky without the bells and whistles that actually made it enjoyable in the past. It's always been a ridiculous series, but highly memorable and fun; it felt like there was a method to the madness up until Peace Walker and this game, and hell, even Peace Walker by comparison had more of what I like about the series. It was like they tried to make it more dark and "grounded" but... didn't. When you do a story like this you have to strike a certain tone and the previous games did so with their chin held high.

I can see where you're coming from. I actually kind of liked the grounded approached it took. But I agree it still needed some more trademark MGS charm to it story wise.

Top Bottom