• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus holds "diversity luncheon;" refuses to address Luckey questions. CEO needs mom

vermadas

The problem is that after the news first came out, Oculus people and key supporters started circling the wagons with "He can have whatever political views he likes," muddying the issue to seem like it was about his Trump support.

Yeah, the crux of the real issue was avoided or glossed over in a lot of cases.

Amalthea

Banned
lol what?
M9xYhEl.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Facebook is handling this so damn poorly. Like those responses are just embarrassing.

oakenhild

After his no-show at OC3, I figure he's all but gone from Facebook once his contract is up. If he's no longer 'the face of VR', what use does Facebook have for him?

Disclaimer, I just bought a Rift after OC3 based on his no-show. Hopefully, I'm right and don't regret it later.

Filter

THhy are probably unable to get rid of him because he can afford just as many lawyers as they can.
They have to hand out an insanely large golden parachute, which is probably more costly than keeping him and just sticking him in an office somewhere away from the public.

If they weren't able to outright fire him for his tweets and ties to racist groups the first time, I wonder if he can just continue doing it. What a pr nightmare.

If they can't get rid of him, then they can't mention the elephant in the room. "One of our chief executives is a massive gross bigot, but please just ignore him".

L Thammy

Kind of related, but are hate speech / hate groups illegal in America? Tried googling, I'm finding that the former is hard to ban in the US, whereas I can't find much on the later beyond that there are some private organizations that try to identify hate groups.

Somnid

I don't think Facebook should be policing Lucky's political views and whatever apology or regret is on his part, not Facebook. His views are his own and it should be understood. Granted if Lucky decides to make anymore disturbances that could reflect badly on Facebook I think it's appropriate to fire him after this serious warning, but for now a window seat is appropriate. I don't know that there is a hard line for me to draw on what activities are banishable especially given the awkward situation Republicans are in right now and how toxic the political arena has become, but I'd err on the side of leniency lest it become too much of a political witch hunt. It was not so long ago that problematic (though more left leaning) actions lead to the firing of Allison Rapp at Nintendo and I didn't find that appropriate either. We need to be able to separate these things better in our heads.

I mean let's not even debate about whether they could or couldn't fire him.

The bigger issue is that they couldn't even come out and condemn what he did, or even tell him he wasn't welcome to attend the event (they said he voluntarily chose not to go).

Both of those actions would have meant a lot to people, and Palmer would have had no recourse.

They could not even do the bare minimum to show they don't support his shit. Bare minimum actions that would have subjected Oculus/FB to no legal liability whatsoever.

Well, let's be honest here, this isn't some cake shop refusing LBGT members cakes, this is a multi-billion dollar company. Everybody on GAF is expecting a knee jerk reaction and the fact they haven't taken one tells me there is something in a contract that we may never know.

I don't think Facebook is evil and I don't think Oculus is evil. I think Palmer is a piece of shit after this, though.

But I'm not going to stop supporting Oculus because of Palmer.

gogosox82

I don't think he's disappeared but I think they are trying to distance themselves from him by refusing to acknowledge his existence and not talking about him at all in public. I'm sure they would've gotten rid of him if they could so there must be some sort of agreement that's keeping them from doing that.

Braag

The way they're handling this thing looks really bad. Basically just staying all hush hush and hoping it all goes away. I hope people wont forget this shitshow anytime soon.

Atilac

No, because he supports hate groups.

Also Palmer himself says he supports Gary Johnson.

Gotta keep up with the times man.
He said he supports Johnson in the same email he lied about making comments on /the_donald and someone found video evidence of him leaving the RNC wearing a trump shirt.

Occam

...but that's the title of the author's article.

Or are you saying the author needs to edit his title? If so yeah I agree. Should be something like "Is Facebook Trying to Pretend Palmer Doesn't Exist"? or something.

We have a nice English word for that: hide.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Carmack has a PR handler now?

that's not surprising considering what he's said before

Very out of context though:

Carmack said:
I would say I am a remarkably unsympathetic person. I am a forward looking optimist. I never reminisce about the good old days because the good old days are right now.

This was in regards to selling id to Zenimax, in an interview by Venture Beat. Not defending Carmack or anything, but you can't just go and take stuff out of context man :p

Dante

Douchebaggery all around! Carmack chuckling at the question tells me all I need to know about how serious they are treating this. Can't say this didn't help making my vr purchasing decisions much easier.

Kind of related, but are hate speech / hate groups illegal in America? Tried googling, I'm finding that the former is hard to ban in the US, whereas I can't find much on the later beyond that there are some private organizations that try to identify hate groups.

It's not illegal because of free speech.

However, as an employer there's nothing in the law that says I must hire or continue hiring an employee who's a KKK grand wizard, as long as he doesn't have a contract.

Douchebaggery all around! Carmack chuckling at the question tells me all I need to know about how serious they are treating this. Can't say this didn't help making my vr purchasing decisions much easier.

I don't really think it says all that much coming from Carmack, dudes entirely about the tech, doubt he much cares about anything else going on in the company.

Maybe if someone else had that reaction.

He said he supports Johnson in the same email he lied about making comments on /the_donald and someone found video evidence of him leaving the RNC wearing a trump shirt.

Haha yeah I know. That line about Gary Johnson was me snarking because Palmer couldn't even be upfront about his support.

poodaddy

So many Oculus employees are complicit in this bullshit. The statements from the higher ups after this all came out was troubling enough, but now they're being straight up hostile about it. It's troubling that a so called "progressive" company like this would want to cover for a white nationalist.

Don't support this shitty company.

Yup. I was willing to forgive Carmack when it came out that he was an Ayn Rand libertarian nut case, but this is too much. I hate to say it but I've lost all respect for the man. Fuck this company, they gits no moneys from me.

moozoom

First time I see the word disappearing used like that, is it proper English ?
Honest question, as I'm not a native English speaker....

My poor brain can't decide if its poor phrasing or on the other side a litterate way of saying "hide" ? Then again, in the article it seems they are just covering for him and trying to avoid questions, not really making him "disappear".

Was I a developper, I'd probably want to stop working with oculus too, but It sucks for those who have exclusive games on the platform or already spent a lot of money for the development.

Chindogg

What has Carmack said before (I literally have no idea)?

Carmack is the definition of STEM thinking. He's very focused on the development of technology and has barely enough soft skills to communicate that focus. He's been known and even admits that he lacks empathy and connection to other human beings. He's borderline sociopathic in that sense.

Asking him his opinion on social issues would be like asking Lil Wayne about quantum physics.

At this point isn't it kind of obvious that there are LEGAL reasons why they can't fire him. Do you really think alll those people want to back Luckey, all of you really think that is the most logical explaination here?

166mhz

why all of a sudden are you people letting politics get in the way of you playing a game?

what did these people even do other than try to manipulate their public image... something that every single game company with a marketing strategy does de facto. but now you have an axe to grind?

At this point isn't it kind of obvious that there are LEGAL reasons why they can't fire him. Do you really think alll those people want to back Luckey, all of you really think that is the most logical explaination here?

That might explain why they haven't fired him, sure. Are there laws in California that make it so they can't openly condemn what he stands for? Or are they required to circle the wagons and support him?

Chindogg

That might explain why they haven't fired him, sure. Are there laws in California that make it so they can't openly condemn what he stands for? Or are they required to circle the wagons and support him?

It doesn't seem like they're circling the wagons, but trying to sweep it under the rug. If you have to keep him employed, you can't exactly openly shit on him. At the same time, you don't want to be openly defending him.

From the excerpts in the OP, it appears they're just trying to ignore the situation since that seems to be the only option they have until the contract or deal runs out.

Could be a mandate from up top. Who knows. It's a better explanation than Oculus being completely overrun by white supremacist backers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
why all of a sudden are you people letting politics get in the way of you playing a game?

what did these people even do other than try to manipulate their public image... something that every single game company with a marketing strategy does de facto. but now you have an axe to grind?

Is this all you have to add? This has been explained time and time again in dozens of threads.There is doing PR because your game has a lot of bugs or didn't sell well enough or what not and then there is trying to basically cover for a dude who espousing some pretty gross stuff and funding groups to do so over the internet. This isn't Occulus releasing Rift's that malfunction or work as good as stated in ads but harboring an unrepentant hatemonger.

I think I saw this post as an example of "false equivalency" on Miriam-Webster.

Could be a mandate from up top. Who knows. It's a better explanation than Oculus being completely overrun by white supremacist backers.

I think you're inserting these words into imaginary people's mouths. In fact, everyone has said they feel compassionate towards the people who are working there because they have families to feed, because most people at Oculus are indeed NOT white supremacist backers.

What you stated there is exactly the problem. It could be a mandate from up top, because there surely isn't a law that forbids them from condemning Palmer's actions. Or it could be a host of other crap, that's the issue about being completely silent as far as anything in opposition to Palmer, and the only statements you do make are basically in support of Palmer.

It goes like this:

1) You fire the guy

2) If you can't fire the guy, you condemn his actions.

3) If you can't condemn his actions because of some legal restriction, you don't say anything at all (the classic "no comment", which is at least better than supporting him).

What you absolutely don't do is say you support him in having his beliefs. There's absolutely no law or contract that could be forcing Oculus/FB to do this.

- J - D -

Title of the article (and this thread) suggests Facebook attempting at actually doing something when in reality what they are saying suggests something else entirely. And their silence isn't one that inspires confidence either. Smacks of avoidance more than anything.

It doesn't seem like they're circling the wagons, but trying to sweep it under the rug. If you have to keep him employed, you can't exactly openly shit on him. At the same time, you don't want to be openly defending him.

From the excerpts in the OP, it appears they're just trying to ignore the situation since that seems to be the only option they have until the contract or deal runs out.

They were circling the wagons initially with the statements from the executives there. But yeah, now they're trying to make sure the public forgets about this.

Bit of a strawman there since that isn't what people are claiming.

It's already pretty clear that there's currently a mandate for employees not to talk about it, but how is that an acceptable excuse? The reason people are upset because Oculus/Facebook aren't willing to talk about this.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't get it. What does he bring to the table at this point? Why keep him around? If he's just a face for the company, then keeping him around is doing more harm than good.

Zaph

I don't get it. What does he bring to the table at this point? Why keep him around? If he's just a face for the company, then keeping him around is doing more harm than good.

Because, if there's any truth to this...
"In fact, that story was completely and utterly false," the complaint continues. "Luckey lacked the training, expertise, resources, or know-how to create commercially viable VR technology. His computer programming skills were rudimentary, and he relied on ZeniMax's computer program code and games to demonstrate the prototype Rift. Nevertheless, this fraudulent tale was frequently reported in the media as fact."​
...cutting Luckey loose would be a big risk should he start talking.

etrain911

It sounds to me as though Facebook is trying to disappear Gizmodo and any other press resource asking questions. The Streisand effect is strong and should not be ignored, Oculus.

Herodotus

That was a bit disgusting tbh, they should, at the very least fire the man-children, that company is looking more and more like a damm trainwreck.

Damn. Honestly, I'm super irritated with this article.

The title makes it sound like they're doing something, when the article actually clearly states they're doing nothing.

Top Bottom