• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

pr0cs

Well it's true being untethered is a great thing but PCVR (except front-facing Rift setups) still usually allows for 360 degree VR even if you gotta mind the cable. At the very least you usually have far more range than the mostly front facing PSVR. And even if you always tend to resort to using an analog stick to turn around at some point, or take the opportunity to revert all your turns to untangle, at least in a given hectic situation you do have the capability to deal with it with instinctive real life movements on the spot. Which rocks. So it's cool to finally be untethered but it's not fundamentally different to me.
The ability to use the device anywhere is a big improvement, that plus making a playspace of almost infinite size and shape is also worth noting. I have three cams set up at home and a good sized playspace but the thought of playing games like Pavlov and being able to walk around instead of floating /teleporting is very attractive.
I just ordered some ceiling cable pulleys so hopefully I will be able to play with some more freedom. They were pretty cheap, less than 25, so nothing compared to the cost of a wireless adapter kit (which costs as much as a new VR set). I won't feel too bad if I can't get it right, haha.
I set up two pulleys as well, they do improve the cable situation a ton but still you'll need to unwind the headset cable occasionally and still some games where you are turning and moving will find you fighting with the cable on occasion. Still though pulleys are a cheap unobtrusive (with ball chain clips for hook removal) way to significantly improve the experience

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The ability to use the device anywhere is a big improvement, that plus making a playspace of almost infinite size and shape is also worth noting. I have three cams set up at home and a good sized playspace but the thought of playing games like Pavlov and being able to walk around instead of floating /teleporting is very attractive.

I set up two pulleys as well, they do improve the cable situation a ton but still you'll need to unwind the headset cable occasionally and still some games where you are turning and moving will find you fighting with the cable on occasion. Still though pulleys are a cheap unobtrusive (with ball chain clips for hook removal) way to significantly improve the experience
I mean, if you're gonna go play in a football field in daytime yeah you can probably walk around full game levels but I imagine most people will be playing this at home so still be limited by their room space. Maybe less limited than their PC/console room if they go set it up in the living room or in an empty basement or their roof (in plain sight and with falling over dangers haha) or something or if their PC/console are in a much smaller room instead of the same Quest playspace room I guess but surely still far from enough to walk around whole games for most, it's not like you can make your boundaries your whole house complete with turns for hallways and entering other rooms and expect the game level to match that layout so that it can be natural to walk around it.

And yeah you have a Rift like me I guess but stuff like Valve's lighthouses allow for greater playspaces and with less hassle than Rift's early tracker solution. Plus Rift S uses inside out tracking like Quest (with more cameras) and it's similar for WMR.

Last edited:

pr0cs

I mean, if you're gonna go play in a football field in daytime yeah you can walk around full game levels but I imagine most people will be playing this at home so still be limited by their room. Maybe less limited than their PC/console room if they go set it up in the living room or in an empty basement or their roof (in plain sight and with falling over dangers haha) or something or if their PC/console are in a much smaller room instead of the same playspace room I guess but still far from enough to walk around whole games for most...
Well sure for a lot of apartment dwellers it's of limited value, at that point getting better graphics (pc) would probably be the better choice. For home owners though I'm confident that quest is worth a look. I have around 8' x8' space for pcvr and still I'd love to play in a larger room (storage space). Hauling the pc, setting up cabling etc is not attractive

Alexios

Well even home owners don't all have that much space necessarily. I live in a two story house currently (not mine but still, someone could have built or bought it for himself like some of my neighbors bought similar houses) and I struggle to think of a larger space than the bedroom I set up a desk with the PC in, other than removing some furtnite from the LR or the actual bed from one of the bedrooms or whatever. The dining room is full just by the table and chairs etc, the living room with the sofa and coffee table and armchairs, the kitchen with another table and chairs, etc. Now you say all this though I should totally buy a Quest for my brother in law and get to use it myself in their basement which is largely empty (yet the rest of their house doesn't seem to have free space either so if they didn't have the basement they'd be among those home owners where Quest offers little advantage, other than the fact they don't have a gaming PC of course) haha, that should be a cool space. Maybe for Christmas if there's a sweet deal by then or whenever a Quest 2 arrives with a better snapdragon or whatever (hope they support the current for a LONG time though).

Last edited:

pr0cs

Quest 2 arrives with a better snapdragon or whatever (hope they support the current for a LONG time though).
The quest looks pretty good for what it is already, considering that it is mobile, imagine how much better it will look if they make a sequel.
The quest has IIRC snapdragon 835, the current android darling is the 855 which powers the new Asus and Oneplus (among other) phones. To compare the two the 855 has almost double the processing power, a quest with that would go a long way to bridging the gap between pc and mobile VR.
Exciting times really

Alexios

Yes, but still with Quest being what it is, I hope it stays supported with new great games with optimal performance for a long time. I don't want them to put out Quest 2 next year like it's a flagship phone model and have every developer make games that only work on 2 or only perform optimally on 2 (though running in higher resolution with better effects and shit would be fine, as long as the experience on the current isn't crappy looking and done in haste without making sure it's cool like current ports) by virtue of the 2x+ performance.

That would suck and not make me confident for the new model getting supported once yet another model arrives if they intend to make them so replaceable so soon, I wouldn't like it even if I had the better model. I'm not gonna say 5 years like a console cycle but they should at least give it a couple years or so between upgrades. Maybe increase the resolution so that a lot of the extra power goes into driving the better resolution on games available on both rather than only enable games the first can't have at all. Etc.

It would be understandable if more games could be ported to the newer models as well but that shouldn't be the norm with the original being left in the dust in terms of exciting new releases, it should be the occasional port only, with most coming to both.

Then the third model a couple more years later does the same for the second model while the first model is then finally left in the dust (but still many developers could continue supporting it occasionally like so many mobile games work on older phones) without having its life cut too short.

I'd probably have jumped on it on this price point without waiting for sale had it used a higher end chipset and indeed I'm sure many more games could have been ported well (and the current even better) with such a chipset. So yeah future iterations will be HOT (HOTTER).

Then again mobile phones with these high end cpus usually cost much more than the Quest and that's without having the niche VR tech in them (but still many these days come with multiple cameras and lots of motion related innards etc, plus the touch aspect not needed here).

Last edited:

pr0cs

Yes, but still with Quest being what it is, I hope it stays supported with new great games with optimal performance for a long time.
Considering how much Facebook is probably losing on the quest to grow the market I would expect there won't be a sequel for quite a while. Considering the amount of tech for the price it still is an impressive piece of kit.
And its early days, the nerds have already figured out how to stream pcvr to the quest and emulate with relative minor latency, this is within a week of release, in a year who knows what sort of hacks and enhancements the community will be able to shoehorn in

I think people should go into the Quest assuming that a Quest 2 will be following in the near future. The weakness of the chipset is already pretty obvious (it can't even run Rec Room fully) and I doubt stuff like Skyrim VR is even possible on it. VR is still in an early stage, and quick, incremental progress is almost a certainty.

The biggest problem facing it, I think, is the battery. Right now, it has about 2 hours of battery life, which is barely adequate. Bigger batteries weigh more, which could be disastrous for something you literally strap on your face. Without a better battery, it can't use better graphics chips for very long. They'll make better, more efficient processors which will help, but it will always compare poorly against a VR system backed by a PC or PS5 running a fully powered, fan cooled, multiprocessor graphics card.

But the untethered room scale is probably the most important advancement in VR thus far, and probably the single most important thing that is going to drive further adoption of VR. I mean, I can tell people how awesome the PSVR is, but I can just bring in my Quest and show them - and VR is something that must be experienced. I think the Quest's convenience is something every other VR system is going to copy - will have to copy. So I don't think the Quest will stand out for long.

Romulus

Yes, but still with Quest being what it is, I hope it stays supported with new great games with optimal performance for a long time. I don't want them to put out Quest 2 next year like it's a flagship phone model and have every developer make games that only work on 2 or only perform optimally on 2 (though running in higher resolution with better effects and shit would be fine, as long as the experience on the current isn't crappy looking and done in haste without making sure it's cool like current ports) by virtue of the 2x+ performance.

That would suck and not make me confident for the new model getting supported once yet another model arrives if they intend to make them so replaceable so soon, I wouldn't like it even if I had the better model. I'm not gonna say 5 years like a console cycle but they should at least give it a couple years or so between upgrades. Maybe increase the resolution so that a lot of the extra power goes into driving the better resolution on games available on both rather than only enable games the first can't have at all. Etc.

It would be understandable if more games could be ported to the newer models as well but that shouldn't be the norm with the original being left in the dust in terms of exciting new releases, it should be the occasional port only, with most coming to both.

Then the third model a couple more years later does the same for the second model while the first model is then finally left in the dust (but still many developers could continue supporting it occasionally like so many mobile games work on older phones) without having its life cut too short.

I'd probably have jumped on it on this price point without waiting for sale had it used a higher end chipset and indeed I'm sure many more games could have been ported well (and the current even better) with such a chipset. So yeah future iterations will be HOT (HOTTER).

Then again mobile phones with these high end cpus usually cost much more than the Quest and that's without having the niche VR tech in them (but still many these days come with multiple cameras and lots of motion related innards etc, plus the touch aspect not needed here).

Couldn't they do like a Quest "Pro" where all the games run on both headsets but the Pro has better visuals? That way it's not abandoning the original.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Being that you don't need a PC for this and it's wireless...I'm really tempted. I can't help but feel this is gonna be the "poor man's VR" which is ironic given that it actually houses some system features that I've been waiting for in other VR experiences to adopt (again, wireless).

My guess, it's not gonna top the Rift in fidelity, frame rate or otherwise. If it does, I think that might push me over the edge.

Xenon

No OT? I dont think Ill pick one up just yet but it's on my radar. Any reviews or thoughts by people with motion sickness issues? Does the 78htz refresh rate make things worse?

Last edited:

Romulus

Being that you don't need a PC for this and it's wireless...I'm really tempted. I can't help but feel this is gonna be the "poor man's VR" which is ironic given that it actually houses some system features that I've been waiting for in other VR experiences to adopt (again, wireless).

My guess, it's not gonna top the Rift in fidelity, frame rate or otherwise. If it does, I think that might push me over the edge.

How could you even consider it matching Rift, much less topping it?

It's a small little mobile chipset versus a desktop.

Its powerful for what it is but no way it comes close to VR games on a nice or even mid tier PC. It's the same as the console argument vs PC but even less in the Quest's favor. But the Quest isn't really about that.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How could you even consider it matching Rift, much less topping it?

It's a small little mobile chipset versus a desktop.

Its powerful for what it is but no way it comes close to VR games on a nice or even mid tier PC.

I know nothing about these things. That's how. Hence, "My guess".

Last edited:

scalman

im still waiting on what VR i will enter that wonderfull VR world. but i will wait for PS5 VR and see then whos makes more sense to use

pr0cs

Couldn't they do like a Quest "Pro" where all the games run on both headsets but the Pro has better visuals? That way it's not abandoning the original.
Doubtful they'd want to segment that market further. Personally I think they'll let the quest sell for a while before they do any sequel/pro versions.
Devs have only started understanding how to optimize for the difference in render techniques on the mobile setup, given time I suspect they'll help drive innovation and direct where the next mobile iteration needs to go.

Not sure I understand the complaint of 'only 2 hours'. For a first iteration and the fact most VR experiences aren't very long two hours is decent and luckily with a pocket battery pack easily extended

scalman

problem with this is games.. ok i saw those new game that on it ... but what after that, will those new games continue to appear or they wont ... so thats a risk, just have like 4 games that you like on it but what then ? maybe you want some old pc game to try on VR , thats what Rift can give you that this thing wont. at least let me watch my movies and play emulation game on it or just use something on it besides Quest exclusives.

Romulus

Doubtful they'd want to segment that market further. Personally I think they'll let the quest sell for a while before they do any sequel/pro versions.
Devs have only started understanding how to optimize for the difference in render techniques on the mobile setup, given time I suspect they'll help drive innovation and direct where the next mobile iteration needs to go.

Not sure I understand the complaint of 'only 2 hours'. For a first iteration and the fact most VR experiences aren't very long two hours is decent and luckily with a pocket battery pack easily extended

I don't mean a new Quest that has different games. I mean like Ps4 pro where every game is available to both systems but the pro games look better. Theres zero segmenting.

Last edited:

pr0cs

I don't mean a new Quest that has different games. I mean like Ps4 pro where every game is available to both systems but the pro games look better. Theres zero segmenting.
Considering how much they're probably losing on the quest I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon but yeah when it does arrive there is no reason to think it wouldn't be backwards compatible.
Unless of course it's a fundamental redesign. Nothing shown at their tech conferences suggest they would go that route anyway

blitz64

Pavlov alpha game is out. You can download and play it for free:

I was able to sideload and play it successfully.

gifgaf

I understand. No problem I'm just trying to imagine that little box in the Quest headset outmuscling a PC.

I think you might underestimate the draw of not having to switch on a PC or have to mess about with wires and tethers. I know its never going to look as good as my Rift for now (foveated rendering where are you?) but I can forgive it just because it's an all in one. Maybe its because its new for me but I haven't touched my Rift since I got the Quest. I absolutely adore just having the Quest ready to go and sit on my sofa to play VR games without having to setup all that junk that goes with my main headset. Having a decent small headset that can play the games that my main headset can play makes me want to play VR more also having to setup my PC and wired headset every time lowers my enthusiasm to play sometimes.

Being forced to play in my dedicated VR space can be another downside sometimes for me. I have a good sized space all setup with the camera setup but the Quest allows me to play it wherever I want, like my sofa. There are times I do want to stand and put effort into VR. I played paintball in Rec Room and OrbusVR all last night sat on my sofa, it was divine! It really is nice to be able to sit on my Sofa and play. This will help people want to play VR imo, as you know in the other thread there's a lot of people that do not want to stand up and play, they wanna chill and with the Quest you can do that and when your finished you shut off the Quest and your done.

I am tempted to buy the Rift S due to not having to have the tracking cameras and it being just as easy play where I want instead of my dedicated VR space but there is always the problem of it being hooked up to my PC so my sofa is out of the question unless I move my PC.

There's always gonna be times where I will want to play on my main headset as its superior and not all games will come to the Quest, but the Quest performs just like my Rift with 6DoF, I'm not as bothered with graphical fidelity although It is nice to have a great looking game.

My Rift is a centre piece, it demands a lot of me, which puts people off. Not everyone want's to change their life around one tech like a lot of us early adopters have. VR is slowly being able to be integrated into peoples life's and houses without having dedicated area's or having to drill cameras into their walls. I hope this will make the difference.

Last edited:

gifgaf

is the quest worth buying? it's only working out about 100 cheaper than the S. might just get the S

Isnt the 64gig Quest the same price as the Rift S?

The Quest is worth buying but it depends on what your priorities are. Quest has freedom but lower graphical fidelity. Rift S is hooked to your PC so you are tethered to your PC.

Both have the same type of 6DoF tracking. What is it you want from a headset?

Might be a good idea to read some of the posts here or at /r/oculus or /r/Oculusquest

Last edited:

gifgaf

The reviews are really good

Of course IGN called it amazing and gave it a 9.5 too
It's an impressive little headset. I have been playing pokers stars vr for the past 2 days and there are many people using it.

Last edited:

Alexios

SweViver put out a video showcasing a less known/popular app than RiftCat to stream PCVR games to the Oculus Quest and it seems like it works quite well.

As long as you have a good 5GHz router and stuff I guess and it's not exactly flawless either, but still, that greatly expands the functionality of the device for sure.

Last edited:

Techies

Got mine today, this device is bloody awesome.
Could use some improvements in the comfort area. Looks like I'm one of the unlucky type of head shapes. All I can say is my nose hurts whenever I move my head sideways, so creed and beat saber is rather painful to play. Will need to find a solution for that...

Everything else blew my mind. Wireless feels unbelievable, downloading everything I possible can on the first day.
What's nice is the demos of the most popular games came preinstalled.

Last edited:

Techies

beat saber isn't enough for me to shell put $400.

It can do a little bit more than just beatsaber. I guess people just don't think like me, it feels like I've just been given a blank canvas do anything I want without many limitations. Just installed every nes and sega game ever created on mine. Just because I can...

Was thinking about installing minecraft and running and taking a stroll around the world in a 50x50m field, but that could be dangerous to do alone. But I can in theory do that.

Last edited:

gifgaf

It can do a little bit more than just beatsaber. I guess people just don't think like me, it feels like I've just been given a blank canvas do anything I want without many limitations. Just installed every nes and sega game ever created on mine. Just because I can...

Was thinking about installing minecraft and running and taking a stroll around the world in a 50x50m field, but that could be dangerous to do alone. But I can in theory do that.
I agree, this is the future of VR tech. Not tethered headsets, fully free room scale VR. Being able to just pick it up and take it anywhere is much more impressive to me than I thought it would be.

The comfort is definitely something that needs work but maybe this video could help you make it a litle more comfortable

Last edited:

keraj37

So, I was able to test extensively as a software developer this piece of hardware. I already ported our main app to quest and Oculus SDK does all the dirty work behind scenes.
Building apps for this is same as for android - as it has android OS on board. So simple apk building pipeline is involved.

In terms of usability it is a game changer.
Lack of cables and independence from PCs is mind blowing.
Also the quality of the screen is much much better then Oculus CV1 - everything looks sharp and clear.

I am buying it soon for myself privately.

recommended!

gifgaf

I already ported our main app to quest and Oculus SDK does all the dirty work behind scenes.
Building apps for this is same as for android - as it has android OS on board. So simple apk building pipeline is involved.
Go on, i'll bite. :messenger_winking: Whats the app?

keraj37

Go on, i'll bite. :messenger_winking: Whats the app?

Here is the page of the app I am working on: www.worldofrescue.com
And since you ask, recently Prime Minister of Poland was visiting one of our simulation centers and was enjoying our VR app (Oculus CV1):
pmWF9RT.png

gifgaf

Here is the page of the app I am working on: www.worldofrescue.com
And since you ask, recently Prime Minister of Poland was visiting one of our simulation centers and was enjoying our VR app (Oculus CV1):
pmWF9RT.png
Cool, and I read somewhere that there was no innovation in gaming this gen :messenger_winking:

Seriously though this is the kind of shit that VR is going to revolutionise, not just gaming.

Last edited:

McCheese

Went down the rabbit hole of downloading some 5k vr180 source videos from YouTube rather than streaming them which seems to cap at a much lower resolution.

Mostly travel stuff, but found about 3 hours worth of some dude just wandering around Tokyo at 10pm and it's incredible, both quality wise and Tokyo itself at night.

Being able to pause the video and just look around a snapshot of life somewhere else, is mind blowing stuff.

The quest is pretty great for consuming content, only minor complaint is the lens reflect off themselves slightly which creates this faint impression of fog when looking around bright environments.

One thing worth noting is the gallery app doesn't support the YouTube 180VR format, but that free video player app (forget the name) does just fine.

gifgaf

but found about 3 hours worth of some dude just wandering around Tokyo at 10pm and it's incredible, both quality wise and Tokyo itself at night.
I'm interested! Do you have a link to this please? also the name of the free player would be nice, I haven't really delved into video in VR and you have convinced me I am missing out.

I feel we need a thread for cool videos in VR or at least try to drum up some interest so people can post links here.

Last edited:

McCheese

I'm interested! Do you have a link to this please? also the name of the free player would be nice, I haven't really delved into video in VR and you have convinced me I am missing out.

I feel we need a thread for cool videos in VR or at least try to drum up some interest so people can post links here.

On mobile so this is quite fiddly

Then I used an app called 4kdownload (which isnt shovelware as the name would suggest) to download them at source quality and stitch them back together.

Edit: ....Wait, you've not even tried the porn in it yet? it's so detailed you can practically see the disappointment in their parents eyes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom