• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

The Dude

Glad to hear you're enjoying Chronos!

Yea it's incredible. I don't get tho why it doesn't seem mentioned much.

The reason I find it special is while I love motion and touch games etc... I don't think every vr game should simply be built around that as it is a little more invoked at times.

But to actually see levels like in chronos, feel the size and scope of enemies and structures, and all while gaming with a normal controller, I believe is simply a perfect way to blend classic gaming with vr in which I'd think alot of people would want as well.

I think both styles are not only impressive but vital

low-G

Yea it's incredible. I don't get tho why it doesn't seem mentioned much.

The reason I find it special is while I love motion and touch games etc... I don't think every vr game should simply be built around that as it is a little more invoked at times.

But to actually see levels like in chronos, feel the size and scope of enemies and structures, and all while gaming with a normal controller, I believe is simply a perfect way to blend classic gaming with vr in which I'd think alot of people would want as well.

I think both styles are not only impressive but vital

Chronos started at $60, and it's exclusive to the Oculus store, so that's why it's pretty obscure. It's been on sale 3 times or so now though.

I think it's excellent too. Fits in a good spot between Ico and Dark Souls. Really a lovely game to experience in VR. So atmospheric.

Hexer06

So weird thing happened: I was playing just fine the day before yesterday. I go to put my headset on today, and it thinks my sensors are in a totally different spot (to the top-right corner of my play area, instead of being centered). I tried resetting orientation in Oculus Home but it didn't do anything. So I go to the Settings on the PC and try to set them up again, but every time I get to the part of putting the headset on, it puts the sensors in a weird off spot again. The setup goes fine as far as putting the controller up to my eye and holding the trigger and then setting up the play area. It all looks normal and everything. But then when I get the headset on, it's like "Actually your sensors are in a different spot! Now we can't see your headset." I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in and resetting my PC. Anything else to try? I feel like maybe I'm forgetting something.. :/

Edit: Nvm...somehow it fixed itself. 5th time's the charm I guess? lol

So weird thing happened: I was playing just fine the day before yesterday. I go to put my headset on today, and it thinks my sensors are in a totally different spot (to the top-right corner of my play area, instead of being centered). I tried resetting orientation in Oculus Home but it didn't do anything. So I go to the Settings on the PC and try to set them up again, but every time I get to the part of putting the headset on, it puts the sensors in a weird off spot again. The setup goes fine as far as putting the controller up to my eye and holding the trigger and then setting up the play area. It all looks normal and everything. But then when I get the headset on, it's like "Actually your sensors are in a different spot! Now we can't see your headset." I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in and resetting my PC. Anything else to try? I feel like maybe I'm forgetting something.. :/

Edit: Nvm...somehow it fixed itself. 5th time's the charm I guess? lol

There are some weird issues that may pop up once in a rare while, but they're almost always fixed in my case by resetting the Oculus software. You can do this from the settings screen in Oculus Home (the Windows version, not the one in the headset) under the Beta header.

Today I tried Oculus during a Lanparty in an area where they were doing demonstrations, as I wanted to make sure I would not have troubles with motion sickness. I asked them what was the worse they had and they put me to play Project Cars.

I felt a bit dumb about the obvious first time VR, as in crashing against a wall, covering my face with my arms and trying to find a door to escape the car. And this is odd, because despite how disappointed I felt in beginning between the bad screen door effect (I wonder if maybe it was not the final model) and breaking the illusion whenever i turned my eyes and saw where the screen ended, In the end it really managed to make me think I was in the car.

Still I'm not very convinced yet about the screen door effect, if I was using the current retail version (it did not have headphones, so I wonder if they had been removed or it was an old model.

Tain

Today I tried Oculus during a Lanparty in an area where they were doing demonstrations, as I wanted to make sure I would not have troubles with motion sickness. I asked them what was the worse they had and they put me to play Project Cars.

I felt a bit dumb about the obvious first time VR, as in crashing against a wall, covering my face with my arms and trying to find a door to escape the car. And this is odd, because despite how disappointed I felt in beginning between the bad screen door effect (I wonder if maybe it was not the final model) and breaking the illusion whenever i turned my eyes and saw where the screen ended, In the end it really managed to make me think I was in the car.

Still I'm not very convinced yet about the screen door effect, if I was using the current retail version (it did not have headphones, so I wonder if they had been removed or it was an old model.

if it was boxy, you were using a devkit model (this or heaven forbid this). if it was round and had headphones (this), you were using a retail

Amneisac

Any good resources for adjusting the Rift for my vision? I only tried it briefly in first contact, but it was really blurry. I do wear contacts and had them in.

theRizzle

Any good resources for adjusting the Rift for my vision? I only tried it briefly in first contact, but it was really blurry. I do wear contacts and had them in.

There is a lens adjustment mode during the initial setup that should have had you adjust the positioning so you could see distinct lines in a green crosshair thing. You can access it again from the Oculus Home menu.

vermadas

From earlier today, but should be posted here. 1.17 Beta pre-release:
Full release notes:

FEATURES:
  • Oculus Library:
    • You can now see detailed release notes for recent app updates, including the Oculus system software, from the Updates screen in Library.
    • You can now quickly launch all apps that support Rift from within the Oculus software, even if you acquired those apps from outside the Oculus Store.
      • You can toggle displaying third party app titles “on” and “off” from the Filter menu of the Library in the upper right of the Oculus desktop app
      • You can remove individual apps from your Library (note that this does not uninstall the app; also, at this time, this action can’t be undone)
      • If you are using an app obtained or purchased outside the Oculus Store, your activity will simply display as "Online"
      • Library will still display the five most recently played apps. If you toggle “off” third party apps titles, they will be removed from recent activity
  • Mixed Reality Capture: Further improvements to the calibration tool.

BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed an issue where reconnecting the Rift headset wouldn't fully restore functionality after being disconnected.
  • Fixed an issue with lens slider settings not being respected in some situations.
  • Fixed an issue with the floor shifting while you're in VR.
  • Miscellaneous performance improvements, stability enhancement, and bug fixes.

Whoa, the feature that lets you launch Rift software inside Oculus Home even if it's on, say, Steam, is a major deal for me. This changes everything. I find it so much simpler to launch titles from Oculus Home than to deal with SteamVR, so this is a great feature.

Lakuza

(repost) I'm looking to improve my VR legs, need recommendations.

What otherwise-decent games have made you sick?

it might have been improved now, but i remember minecraft causing my stomach to feel weird after about 20 minutes of playing it (using the free movement style), but this was on the gear vr so it might actually be better on the rift. Dreadhalls is another I felt slightly odd with on gear vr but this during the first month of vr gaming so might not be as bad as i remember (this game is also on rift). Maybe serious sam is a good example to try.

I think racers might be a good test based on how people first reacted to drive club vr on psvr.

It's hard for me to recommend any right now as I haven't felt sick from any game I've played on the rift, but this could be due to my own vr legs being better from when I played gear vr (got it last year around summer).

Being able to launch SteamVR from Oculus Home without doing any hoop-jumping should be really nice.

Ooh this could be really handy - I hope all the hand-offs and switching work ok. My PC gets a bit confused and is a bit picky about how you launch SteamVR and exit it. Switching audio between speakers and headset can get a bit confused.

Listonosh

Is there a way to add Steam games to the Oculus Library without having to launch them first? Some games dont show up there that way. For example, GORN, House of the Dying Sun, Tabletop Simulator, none of those show up there.

Soroc

Is there a way to add Steam games to the Oculus Library without having to launch them first? Some games dont show up there that way. For example, GORN, House of the Dying Sun, Tabletop Simulator, none of those show up there.

Are you launching them from within SteamVR, I've read its best to launch the exe of the game itself for Oculus to see it and register it in Oculus Home.

Soroc

someone explain vr legs to me, what is it?

Kind of like sea legs. VR has an adjustment period for some people where the feeling of motion sickness lessens the more they use it. Some ppl are just really prone to motion sickness and may never get their "legs"

Izuna

Banned
Kind of like sea legs. VR has an adjustment period for some people where the feeling of motion sickness lessens the more they use it. Some ppl are just really prone to motion sickness and may never get their "legs"

I want to experience motion sickness

;(

what is sea legs? Is it that thing where like... after to go swimming for a bit the ground feels strange?

Soroc

I want to experience motion sickness

;(

what is sea legs? Is it that thing where like... after to go swimming for a bit the ground feels strange?

Nah its when you are on a boat out in the ocean and you puke for hours due to the boat rocking, the waves crashing and endless horizon. At least in my experience I have 0 sea legs but no problem in VR.

You don't want to experience motion sickness, it sucks and doesn't feel good. Be glad if you don't have issues with it!

Izuna

Banned
Nah its when you are on a boat out in the ocean and you puke for hours due to the boat rocking, the waves crashing and endless horizon. At least in my experience I have 0 sea legs but no problem in VR.

You don't want to experience motion sickness, it sucks and doesn't feel good. Be glad if you don't have issues with it!

I remember going on a boat to the Isle of Wight, being told that because it is my first time I might feel sea sick. I was so disappointed that nothing happened ;(

I mean, I won't say I'm not grateful, but I just can't imagine it.

Closest I supposed to motion sickness I've felt is how jarring and sickening Dying Light on console was.

Soroc

I remember going on a boat to the Isle of Wight, being told that because it is my first time I might feel sea sick. I was so disappointed that nothing happened ;(

I mean, I won't say I'm not grateful, but I just can't imagine it.

Closest I supposed to motion sickness I've felt is how jarring and sickening Dying Light on console was.

That sounds like it might be more of a ferry, which I don't think would simulate it the same. You could try deep sea fishing and see if that works lol Or have you ever been to an amusement park where they have a gravitron (human centrifuge) that spins real fast and you get stuck to the walls, drink a few beers and head into one of those things. If neither deep sea nor the gravitron makes you sick, nothing probably will lol

Izuna

Banned
That sounds like it might be more of a ferry, which I don't think would simulate it the same. You could try deep sea fishing and see if that works lol Or have you ever been to an amusement park where they have a gravitron (human centrifuge) that spins real fast and you get stuck to the walls, drink a few beers and head into one of those things. If neither deep sea nor the gravitron makes you sick, nothing probably will lol

Those might (yeah, ferry -- I dunno my shit) -- I think after that one thread in the OT I'll refrain from getting on rides.

I guess it's a shame because if other people can't deal with artificial locomotion then many games won't allow for it.

vermadas

I'm fairly resilient to VR sickness, but if I read for an extended period of time while in a moving vehicle, or stay in the cabin of a small boat on choppy water, I will get nauseous. The vestibular system is weird.

GeoGonzo

I'm fairly resilient to VR sickness, but if I read for an extended period of time while in a moving vehicle, or stay in the cabin of a small boat on choppy water, I will get nauseous. The vestibular system is weird.
In defense of the vestibular system: It worked fine in nature. Humans simply started fucking things up when they begun enduring acceleration without apparent movement (vehicles) and now apparent movement without real acceleration (VR).

Amneisac

In my brief time spent with VR, I feel like the games with a narrow FoV make me sick more than anything else. I have a sailboat, have been on cruises, love amusement park rides, none of that makes me sick, but give me a game with a narrow FoV and I'll be feeling gross in just a minute.

I feel like Lucky's Tale, in addition to whatever else it has going on to make people sick, has a very tight FoV. More so than any of the other VR experiences I've tried so far and I think it's affected me the most.

Listonosh

Are you launching them from within SteamVR, I've read its best to launch the exe of the game itself for Oculus to see it and register it in Oculus Home.

So with GORN that actually worked, but with games like Infinite Minigolf and Gouse of the Dying Sun, those just launch into their regular versions, so it doesn't pick it up as a VR game.

Iorv3th

Is there a guide to getting Steam Theater mode or Big Screen Beta working good while playing a game inside of it? I have tried a few games and it seems it takes a big fps hit in the headset but showing fine on the main display.

My WIDMOvr cover for the Rift arrived and I have to say, it makes a big difference in the feel of wearing the rift. It's just enough to improve comfort but not enough to cause any loss of FOV that I can see.

Plus it's super easy to remove/install for cleaning. Helps with the light bleed around the nose as well.

They confirmed me that it was the retail model, although not properly adjusted (that's what they said). I'm not sure if this factors a lot on the quality, but it was like seeing a grid.

Iorv3th

are you on windows 10 or 7?

Windows 10. I messed with a little more and got Big Screen to work with dragons dogma, but with steam desktop theater it would say exiting vr everytime and hang.

They confirmed me that it was the retail model, although not properly adjusted (that's what they said). I'm not sure if this factors a lot on the quality, but it was like seeing a grid.

There is a grid that shows up when you are exiting the play space. Where you seeing a blue-grid? Because you shouldn't see that unless you are leaving the safe area (when set up so you don't run into walls etc the grid will come up when you get near the exit of that area).

Windows 10. I messed with a little more and got Big Screen to work with dragons dogma, but with steam desktop theater it would say exiting vr everytime and hang.

There is a grid that shows up when you are exiting the play space. Where you seeing a blue-grid? Because you shouldn't see that unless you are leaving the safe area (when set up so you don't run into walls etc the grid will come up when you get near the exit of that area).

I was sitting. I mean the screen door effect. I see a black / grey lines grid overimposed on top of the displayed image. They said it was the final model, but it looked more like the one on the left to me:

http://www.truebluemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/dk2-cv1-lens-view2.jpg

Okay, so I posted something similar in the High End VR Thread, but I thought I'd try here too, as this thread is specific to the Rift/Touch.

Picked up the Ultimate Bundle and it's due this week, so I'm getting prepared for VR (I recently bought an S8+ and got the GearVR for free, which blew my mind and kickstarted my path to full VR).

I've picked up and installed a 5 port USB 3.0 PCI card, ready to go.

I understand the bundle has 2 sensors with it. I've heard I need to add a 3rd for full tracking (like the Vive) - is this true?

This is my "play area". Is it enough, or will I be limited in what I can play?

V8baRrX.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Okay, so I posted something similar in the High End VR Thread, but I thought I'd try here too, as this thread is specific to the Rift/Touch.

Picked up the Ultimate Bundle and it's due this week, so I'm getting prepared for VR (I recently bought an S8+ and got the GearVR for free, which blew my mind and kickstarted my path to full VR).

I've picked up and installed a 5 port USB 3.0 PCI card, ready to go.

I understand the bundle has 2 sensors with it. I've heard I need to add a 3rd for full tracking (like the Vive) - is this true?

This is my "play area". Is it enough, or will I be limited in what I can play?

Any advice is appreciated.

That area is pretty small. You'll basically be limited to standing 360 degree, which isn't bad, but yes you will be limiting yourself. Some games like Onward, Pavlov, Superhot, Echo Arena, Space Pirate Trainer, or Raw Data may be difficult to play with that setup without hitting/running into something. If that couch was gone, it would be considerably better.

That area is pretty small. You'll basically be limited to standing 360 degree, which isn't bad, but yes you will be limiting yourself. Some games like Onward, Pavlov, Superhot, Echo Arena, Space Pirate Trainer, or Raw Data may be difficult to play with that setup without hitting/running into something. If that couch was gone, it would be considerably better.

Alas, the couch cannot be moved - my mancave is in my garden (converted garage) so space is limited. Is it worth picking up a 3rd sensor to live behind me anyway do you think?

Another question was how long all the cables are. The room I'm in is about 4m x 2.2m, so I'm hoping if I do get a 3rd sensor, I won't have to mess about with USB/HDMI extension cables.

Thanks for the response!

I was sitting. I mean the screen door effect. I see a black / grey lines grid overimposed on top of the displayed image. They said it was the final model, but it looked more like the one on the left to me:

http://www.truebluemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/dk2-cv1-lens-view2.jpg

It's easy to tell if you were using a dev kit or the consumer release. Just look up photos of oculus Dk1 DK2 and cv1 on google and compare. DK2 was held on your head with a horribly uncomfortable elastic strap. Etc.

theRizzle

So I have been kinda dipping in an out of a few games when I need a break from Thumper (still the best thing I have played in VR so far) but I'm kinda "stuck" in two of them.

Mage's Tale - Early-ish (~1hr in) Spoiler?
I am pretty sure I have to freeze the water coming out of the pipe so I can ignite the candle the statue is holding, but I don't have an ice spell. I remember last time I picked up the stuff to make the Lightning spell, I had to go back and do some potion mixing to get it... does that trigger automatically or can I do that at any time?
I wandered around everywhere else I could go I think...
including the room where you reveal the staircase around the edge where I pulled the levers and got a secret room with a chest

Wilson's Heart - Very Early (like first area?
It seems like I have to close the boilers or whatever those things are that are steaming up the one room, and I used the handles to push them shut but I can't turn the big lever to lock them, on either door

What I've found with both of these games I get annoyed more quickly in a VR game when I hit a roadblock than I would in a traditional game. I think because the interactions are such a huge part of the enjoyment, and when I'm not getting any new ones or just kind of walking around trying to grab and poke at everything to solve a puzzle, it becomes quite unfun.

vermadas

I am pretty sure I have to freeze the water coming out of the pipe so I can ignite the candle the statue is holding, but I don't have an ice spell. I remember last time I picked up the stuff to make the Lightning spell, I had to go back and do some potion mixing to get it... does that trigger automatically or can I do that at any time?
including the room where you reveal the staircase around the edge where I pulled the levers and got a secret room with a chest

You can teleport back to the area where you can brew spells at any time. Hold both your hands up over your head. After you're done you can go back through the portal to where you were when you left. The game will usually only teleport you back there automatically when you get to the end of a level.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member
So I have been kinda dipping in an out of a few games when I need a break from Thumper (still the best thing I have played in VR so far) but I'm kinda "stuck" in two of them.

Wilson's Heart - Very Early (like first area?
It seems like I have to close the boilers or whatever those things are that are steaming up the one room, and I used the handles to push them shut but I can't turn the big lever to lock them, on either door

What I've found with both of these games I get annoyed more quickly in a VR game when I hit a roadblock than I would in a traditional game. I think because the interactions are such a huge part of the enjoyment, and when I'm not getting any new ones or just kind of walking around trying to grab and poke at everything to solve a puzzle, it becomes quite unfun.

In wilsons heart, you want to use two hands to actuate those levers on the boilers letting out steam. I was stuck there needlessly for 10 minutes or so myself.

In Mages hold your hand above your head to teleport back to the workshop. There you can create the spell you know you need. Your solution to the problem is the correct one.

theRizzle

You can teleport back to the area where you can brew spells at any time. Hold both your hands up over your head. After you're done you can go back through the portal to where you were when you left. The game will usually only teleport you back there automatically when you get to the end of a level.

In wilsons heart, you want to use two hands to actuate those levers on the boilers letting out steam. I was stuck there needlessly for 10 minutes or so myself.

In Mages hold your hand above your head to teleport back to the workshop. There you can create the spell you know you need. Your solution to the problem is the correct one.

Uggggghhhhhhh, hold my hands over my head lol

I knew there was a control thing that I forgot, but I couldn't remember what it was and I couldn't find mention of it in the menu anywhere. Cheers guys.

I tried using both hands on the levers, but maybe it wasn't registering my grips properly or something. The feedback I was getting made me think more that I had to close it more or something, not that one hand wasn't "strong" enough.

I am dying to play Lone Echo but I want to finish these first... hopefully I can make a little more progress tonight

Top Bottom