• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Would you guys say it's worth jumping into VR with Oculus now that it's got the summer discount? I'm a bit hesitant considering it is a fairly large amount of money and I've never really experienced VR before so I don't know how I'd find it.

I've got a few questions that I'd appreciate if I could get answered

How is the headset in general compared to others on the market? I've heard the term screen door effect thrown around and how the Oculus suffers from it more compared to something like the PSVR. Is that true?

Would my pc be able to handle most VR games? I've got 8gigs of ram, a 390 and an i5 6500.

How is the motion control? You don't get up and move around like you do with the vive right? I'm looking for more of a sit-down experience where you just use the motion controllers to aim your guns and things like that.

Finally, how much room is necessary for an ideal Oculus experience, it would be used in my bedroom and I don't have a ton of room for sensors or anything like that.

Oh also, around how long does delivery in the UK take on average for it?

My Oculus Rift Bundle comes tomorrow. Work is going to drag!

So I have Elite Dangerous to immediately try out in all it's glory.

I've downloaded all the various freebies to play from Steam, and I get a bunch of cool looking games from Oculus themselves.

Anything else I need to try/buy etc?

Just beat Lone Echo last night.

I'm glad the game didn't have any jump scares. Every time I went through those enclosed little air shaft/vent things I felt like a jump scare was always waiting on the other end.

I've downloaded all the various freebies to play from Steam, and I get a bunch of cool looking games from Oculus themselves.

Superhot VR.

Lakuza

robo recall - This one you should already have but just making sure you have it

Mages tale - dungeon crawling as a mage. Has a heavy focus on exploration and solving puzzles too (reminds me of the really old harry potter games where you could find secret places hidden everywhere).

chronos - Seated game played with a normal xbox controller for times you dont want to play in room scale. 3rd person action rpg where the character ages by 1 year each time you die. I have yet to buy this one myself though, but its on top of my wishlist

if you have room scale:

super hot vr - this is a seperate game to the non vr game in case you have that already. time moves based on your movements, staying still freezes time etc. Kill all enemies in each stage to progress to the next. Unlocks a ton of high score and challenge modes after completing it so it has a lot of content.

Lone Echo - Exploration & light puzzle solving in zero gravity with a heavy focus on story. One of the best vr games out right now.

Echo Arena - multiplayer of Lone Echo which is currently free to add your library permanently (otherwise it comes with lone echo). its a sports game set in zero gravity (if you ever played final fantasy X, its basically blitz ball.

Raw Data - Class based fps with mission select, can be played in co op too. Outside of missions, you hang out in a social online hub. Theres a cyborg ninja class too. Also features pvp.

There's also an alien isolation mod out too (it was released earlier this week but theres still work being done on it). I'm currently playing gun heart but its only just released in early access so not as content rich or as polished as raw data yet but keep an eye on it for future, its got huge potential to be a vr destiny/left 4 dead with a borderlands skin.

robo recall - This one you should already have but just making sure you have it

Mages tale - dungeon crawling as a mage. Has a heavy focus on exploration and solving puzzles too (reminds me of the really old harry potter games where you could find secret places hidden everywhere).

chronos - Seated game played with a normal xbox controller for times you dont want to play in room scale. 3rd person action rpg where the character ages by 1 year each time you die. I have yet to buy this one myself though, but its on top of my wishlist

if you have room scale:

super hot vr - this is a seperate game to the non vr game in case you have that already. time moves based on your movements, staying still freezes time etc. Kill all enemies in each stage to progress to the next. Unlocks a ton of high score and challenge modes after completing it so it has a lot of content.

Lone Echo - Exploration & light puzzle solving in zero gravity with a heavy focus on story. One of the best vr games out right now.

Echo Arena - multiplayer of Lone Echo which is currently free to add your library permanently (otherwise it comes with lone echo). its a sports game set in zero gravity (if you ever played final fantasy X, its basically blitz ball.

Raw Data - Class based fps with mission select, can be played in co op too. Outside of missions, you hang out in a social online hub. Theres a cyborg ninja class too. Also features pvp.

There's also an alien isolation mod out too (it was released earlier this week but theres still work being done on it). I'm currently playing gun heart but its only just released in early access so not as content rich or as polished as raw data yet but keep an eye on it for future, its got huge potential to be a vr destiny/left 4 dead with a borderlands skin.

Thanks! They have been added to the list! :)

I don't have a fancy joystick but I found a game like elite to be quite difficult and frustrating in VR simply because you have your headset on and are unable to see the keyboard and elite has a fairly extensive keyboard map if I'm not mistaken.

So for games that require a lot of keyboard interactions vr is difficult

I don't have a fancy joystick but I found a game like elite to be quite difficult and frustrating in VR simply because you have your headset on and are unable to see the keyboard and elite has a fairly extensive keyboard map if I'm not mistaken.

I have a HOTAS that I bolt to my actual chair - all controls are mapped, and muscle memory is good, so I'm golden in that regard. :)

Elite Dangerous can be played entirely with a pad. They wouldn’t have been able to port it to consoles if it couldn’t.
The biggest thing missed opportunity with it isn’t having Touch controls - would be nice to use them at least as pointers for navigating menus.

vermadas

Despite news of the contrary, development of Quill will continue despite the shuttering of Oculus Story Studios.
RoadToVR story
New update release notes:
We strive to make the Quill user experience as intuitive and efficient as possible, so this update includes a lot of UX and performance improvements. The Gallery has four new featured Quillustrations for you to enjoy. The 360 mono and stereo image import will enable artists to bring in 360 images that could be used as matte paintings. With 3D sound support, you can now spacialize audio by placing the sound sources in 3D space as regular wave or ambisonic sound files. The colorizer has a new opacity mode with which you can change the opacity of existing strokes. More updates coming soon!

• Added 360 mono and stereo image import (with transparencies) in both equirect and cubemap formats
  • Added 3D sound
  • Added Opacity blend mode
  • New gallery Quillustrations
  • Fixed Line tool
  • Fixes to FBX exporter
  • Fixes to precision for expansive drawings
  • More accurate color picking and autograb
  • Joystick left/right is undo and redo
  • Joystick up/down is new layer and merge layer
  • Several other UX improvements
  • Several other general fixes

Check out the latest Quill creation by Goro Fujita: Left Brain - Right Brain

Lancelot

Elite Dangerous can be played entirely with a pad. They wouldn’t have been able to port it to consoles if it couldn’t.
The biggest thing missed opportunity with it isn’t having Touch controls - would be nice to use them at least as pointers for navigating menus.

I'm dreaming here for an Ultrawings like touch controls for Elite. This would give me a 100% immersion in a space sim.

Wallach

Looks like Killing Floor: Incursion pre-orders are live today, coming out August 16th. Pretty high hopes for that one in terms of replayability.

Jzero

It's here:

bp6Yh8U.jpg

EujOc6n.jpg

Holy shit guys, get one now. Oculus used the shittiest foam.

I'm going to repost my reddit comment, cause this is the kind of experience, imo, that pushes VR to the next level

"Let me just say this, if you haven't picked up Lone Echo, you must do it now. Frankly, this is what you bought the rift for, truly immersive, cutting edge, and engaging VR experience. If this is the direction VR is going, then we are in good hands. Ignore the game length critiscms, dive in and absorb this wonderfully crafted world. Carry on :)"

Soi-Fong

I'm going to repost my reddit comment, cause this is the kind of experience, imo, that pushes VR to the next level

"Let me just say this, if you haven't picked up Lone Echo, you must do it now. Frankly, this is what you bought the rift for, truly immersive, cutting edge, and engaging VR experience. If this is the direction VR is going, then we are in good hands. Ignore the game length critiscms, dive in and absorb this wonderfully crafted world. Carry on :)"

Lone Echo is just doing sooo many things right!!

Does anyone have a list of some of the best games that can be played while sitting at a desk?

I have the Rift+Touch, but there's literally no room to move around where I am (even reaching or pushing stuff with my hands. Basically, I'm at a desk - it's a desk), so I'm looking for things that can be played sitting still with hands confined to fairly basic moving at most.

yoooo... loving the new oculus app update. being able to add all these steam games to launch straight from oculus is so much more convenient

Does anyone have a list of some of the best games that can be played while sitting at a desk?

I have the Rift+Touch, but there's literally no room to move around where I am (even reaching or pushing stuff with my hands. Basically, I'm at a desk - it's a desk), so I'm looking for things that can be played sitting still with hands confined to fairly basic moving at most.

arizona sunshine, job simulator, virtual desk or bigscreen, diner duo, h3vr kind of...., dirt rally, eve valkyrie, elite dangerous, fantastic contraption, kittypocalypse, wilson's heart, i expect you to die,

Amneisac

House of the Dying Sun is current 50% off on Steam. Also Chronos and Lucky's Tale.

It's here:

bp6Yh8U.jpg

EujOc6n.jpg

Holy shit guys, get one now. Oculus used the shittiest foam.

People kept saying the WidmoVR cover was better so I went with that one. But I'm starting to regret my choice. Mine costed 29 just for the freaking cover. No replacement foam or anything else.

Rez infinite has launched today in steam.
I've heard many praises about the zone X in this game i've heard it's amazing in VR.

19,99€ for a limited time (August 16th) then 25€

Maybe someone who has played it on PSVR can give more insights :)

Lakuza

Rez infinite has launched today in steam.
I've heard many praises about the zone X in this game i've heard it's amazing in VR.

19,99€ for a limited time (August 16th) then 25€

Maybe someone who has played it on PSVR can give more insights :)

its really confusing with all the different "official" threads. Alot of the oculus discussion was meant to move over to the pcvr thread from what I understand. You'll find alot of impressions and discussions on rez there already:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109

NimbusD

People kept saying the WidmoVR cover was better so I went with that one. But I'm starting to regret my choice. Mine costed 29 just for the freaking cover. No replacement foam or anything else.

Did you get it?

I just ordered mine and was taken aback by the price, but figured why the fuck not I've already spent so much on the rift+sensors+wall mounts, etc

Dmax3901

So my friend has gone insane and decided (nay, insisted) that I borrow his rift for a bit. I played a little bit of Robo Recall at a party of his (yeah like Guitar Hero back in the day), it was my first VR experience and I was damn impressed. Also impressed myself on how quickly I picked it all up.

Basically, what should I look at getting? Lone Echo is definitely on my list. I'm not opposed to stuff that is more 'experiences' than games too. Anything cool like that?

Lakuza

So my friend has gone insane and decided (nay, insisted) that I borrow his rift for a bit. I played a little bit of Robo Recall at a party of his (yeah like Guitar Hero back in the day), it was my first VR experience and I was damn impressed. Also impressed myself on how quickly I picked it all up.

Basically, what should I look at getting? Lone Echo is definitely on my list. I'm not opposed to stuff that is more 'experiences' than games too. Anything cool like that?

It depends on how long you are borrowing it for.
Lone Echo took me about 9 hours to complete so thats definitely amongst the longer games category, but its a must for everyone.

Superhot VR: Not the same as the pc version. One of the best arcade styled games on vr. The campaign is like a tutorial that lasts around 2-3 hours at most. Once you complete that you unlock modifiers and new modes that allow you to compete for high scores. This one is a must buy for sure and also great for parties too (similar to robo recall).

Rec Room: Free online social game with small campaigns you can play in co-op. Also features competitive modes like paintball. This ones all about meeting random people and just having fun doing silly stuff.

Audioshield (Steam VR): Enjoying this one a lot, by the devs of audiosurf. You can use any song on your pc or on youtube and it will automatically generate the stage. Orbs will fly towards you that you need to punch. Best played at "harder" and "elite" difficulties where it matches the song better (easier difficulties struggle to sync with the song).

Gunheart: Destiny x Borderlands x Warframe. Its an early access title (first person shooter) but has a good amount of content and weapons to unlock and upgrade. You have a shared online hub to upgrade and choose a mission. Missions can be played in co-op (3 players). The mission design is similar to the games i mentioned above. You need to reach the end of the environment you spawn in, taking out enemies on the way. Has a ton of movement options available (has teleport and full free movement.

Raw Data: Another early access game similar to gunheart. an fps with 4 classes to play as (katana, dual pistols, shotgun+hulk fists, archer). It has around 9 missions available right now that are mostly wave based arenas where you defend a specfic point/object. The last few missions adding proper explorable(linear) missions. It also allows for 2 players to co-op and has pvp. Offers both teleport and free movement.

Mages tale: This is a roughly 10 hour long dungeon exploration rpg where you play as a mage apprentice. There is no melee options but you can craft a range of spells in 4 elements (fire, ice, wind and lightning). The exploration side of it is amazing and as I've said in the main pc vr thread, it made me feel like I was in Hogwarts with all the hidden passages and walls to find. See two empty torch holders near eachother? find 2 torches, light them up and place them in the holder and it'll open a room in between them with a chest. But wait, inside that room is brick sticking out of the wall that you can press that opens up an entirely new part of the dungeon! Stuff like that. The story isn't great but the gameplay is cool (combat could be better though, but if you like being rewarded for exploring and enjoy solving puzzles this is a great game). Supports teleport, dash stepping and full free movement.

Thumper: Got this game on sale last week and its hauntingly amazing. VR works perfectly for this game where you just get lost in despair and awe at the visuals. Its a rhythm based game where you play as a weird space beetle travelling forward through space and overcoming weird aliens who try to block your path (this explanation doesn't do it justice at all, but theres plenty of vids about on it).

sonofbryce

Neo Member
I've been working on this VR music visualizer called Raybeem.
[ Crosspost w/ Vive thread ]

Here's a video I made of what the 2nd theme, "Highway" is looking like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr8TPclZFiM

We're planning on launching with 3 different themes. Each theme is essentially an environment that reacts to music in different ways.

Here's the Highway theme, an endlessly tiling cityscape:
RaybeemHighway_sm.png

Here's the FireDancer theme, which allows you to spin poi around in the desert under a pulsing moon:
RaybeemFiredancer_sm.png

Raybeem allows you to import mp3s and also can be set to react to different music sources in Windows (system audio, mic, etc). So you can use it to listen to music from YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud or whatever but you just won't be able to control those other sources from within VR.

A demo is available: https://sokay.itch.io/raybeem-vr-music-visualizer . We're supporting HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. If you check it out, please let me know if it runs properly on your machine.

We're planning to launch on Steam by the end of the month: http://store.steampowered.com/app/631120/Raybeem/ , please add it to your wishlist!

Thanks!

Top Bottom