• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

They know how many they've made, they know how many orders they have, they know the order in which they were received.

It's not difficult to let people know who've paid a lot of money for this gear when it's shipping.

Compsiox

Banned
https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/713133918866673664

He had actually said they had started shipping for both preorders and kickstarter backers on the 24th. That's what caused the miscommunication and why people are confused.

I expect the floodgates to open tomorrow as well. Hopefully the my Rift arrives in Canada by Wednesday.

Yeah it's wrong of Palmer to act like we're overreacting for no reason. A lot of things reps said about shipping were misleading.

It's the perfect storm. A long wait almost over, super enthusiastic community, and iffy communication. It was going to boil over. This will all be forgotten soon enough.

BrettWeir

He had actually said they had started shipping for both preorders and kickstarter backers on the 24th. That's what caused the miscommunication and why people are confused.

Yeah, definitely where it started to go downhill. They should have had some PR folks to communicate and clean up the mess. Silence hasn't helped at all.

Tomorrow is definitely going to be an interesting day in regards to this release.

welly_59

Neo Member
Is tomorrow not a public holiday in USA? UK peeps won't see any movement at all until Tuesday, it's been public holidays here since friday

BrettWeir

is there a way to tell when the estimated shipping date is?

Unfortunately, no. :(

Gonna ask again for new page, anyone know if someone is planning on doing an OT?

Was wondering about this as well.

Is tomorrow not a public holiday in USA? UK peeps won't see any movement at all until Tuesday, it's been public holidays here since friday

Nope. My employee in Latvia had Friday and tomorrow off for bank holidays. The US doesn't have a national/bank holiday for Easter.

There is no reason for you not to see movement even if you're in the UK. They can charge your credit card in the US and begin the shipping process.

newsguy

I'm not getting a Rift anytime soon, so I have no horse in the "I want info vs. be patient" race. You paying 600 bucks for something? You better give me some information. Sorry bros, I'm not one to feel entitled, but you're taking a good chunk of my hard earned money, it's the least you could do.

I'm not getting a Rift anytime soon, so I have no horse in the "I want info vs. be patient" race. You paying 600 bucks for something? You better give me some information. Sorry bros, I'm not one to feel entitled, but you're taking a good chunk of my hard earned money, it's the least you could do.

They don't charge you until it ships. Everybody be like they're a bunch of banditos cackling while clutching stacks of cash in Zuck's throne room.

The way I see it was HTC announced kits start arriving on the 5th. Then Palmer posts kickstarters and preorders will start arriving on Monday. This is after he retweeted Brendan's tweet that Rifts are shipping and will start arriving Monday. So it felt like a clarification. And to me it felt like a reaction to HTC to keep more from cancelling preorders. Then he announces the hand delivery to the first preorder, which he admitted was a last minute decision. And that showed!!! Then he started backtracking. Personally I don't care as long as my Rift ships next week. But I can see why people are angry. Palmer probably needs a BIG long vacation. He deserves it. To be honest I have this feeling that my Vive will come before or at the same time as my rift and both were preordered in the first few minutes.

LaneDS

Thank you but I have zero experience with OTs and would rather someone with a penchant for flare and gaf's formatting subtleties to do it instead. Don't want CV1 OT to look like a rickety, shambling mess of a thing lol.

Just put up a thread saying that the real OT will be posted in one to three weeks, and then yer good.

BrettWeir

Taking a step back and looking at the big picture......tomorrow is a monumental occasion and milestone in technology. From tomorrow going forward, the landscape will change for so many industries. Education, entertainment, engineering, art, communication, work......the list goes on and on.

Granted it will take a while to adopt and develop, but tomorrow is the first step. It's pretty mind blowing to even think of what the future will hold utilizing VR.

Looking forward to seeing all of the unboxing videos and impressions tomorrow.

welly_59

Neo Member
There is no reason for you not to see movement even if you're in the UK. They can charge your credit card in the US and begin the shipping process.

Dev kits were posted from Amsterdam and London for euro folks. We didn't have any updates on shipping before it was released from shipping company in London. It certainly didn't ship direct from usa

Compsiox

Banned
Taking a step back and looking at the big picture......tomorrow is a monumental occasion and milestone in technology. From tomorrow going forward, the landscape will change for so many industries. Education, entertainment, engineering, art, communication, work......the list goes on and on.

Granted it will take a while to adopt and develop, but tomorrow is the first step. It's pretty mind blowing to even think of what the future will hold utilizing VR.

VR dies after two years...I would probably quit gaming.

It really is an incredibly exciting time.

I know I'll be spending the next few weeks enjoying impressions videos until my headsets arrive :p

Head.spawn

I expect the floodgates to open tomorrow as well. Hopefully the my Rift arrives in Canada by Wednesday.

Ahh, there you go. I thought I was losing my mind or something, I remembered reading it somewhere and it's honestly the only reason I've been F5'ing their site for the past few days.

Seiru

Banned
ezcsnYK.png

You know. At first I was sympathetic with the redditors as Palmer being condescending was a dick move. Also lack of communication but now people are bitching it's the 30th instead of the 28th.

Oh ffs. Cancel your oreorder then.

Lunar FC

You know. At first I was sympathetic with the redditors as Palmer being condescending was a dick move. Also lack of communication but now people are bitching it's the 30th instead of the 28th.

Oh ffs. Cancel your oreorder then.

Some people were born without patience, I am one of them.

I have suspicion that when units do arrive people will complain about the resolution and screen door effect of the units. They've been sold as a screendoor-less unit with much better resolution than previous VR offerings. However, a lot of that is kind of subjective and a lot of folks will complain about that too.

I'm going to put my tinfoil hat theory to the test and say I'll donate $2000 to charity if most of the rifts promised for March are shipped March. I still think Palmer only said the arriving the 28th thing to beat the vive release date in paper. In fact I think overall we will have more vive units in the wild than Rifts by mid April and they know this. They're doing everything possible to make it seem on paper that they've hit all their deadlines.

In fact, I predict Oculus will make an aggressive push to steal attention away from those Vive units in the wild somehow.

Source: I do this for a living with grants.

Top Bottom