• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

outsida

If early backers are waiting this long for theirs I can't fathom how long it will be for a late order such as my mine =[

LordCanti

From their latest Kickstarter update, they've shipped 1,850 units so far, and will have another 2,000 out for April 26th delivery.

I'm roughly order 4,500 so I won't be getting it for at least another month, most likely. :(

I'm roughly order 7K so...yeah...maybe not even in May =/

Nymerio

I'm roughly order 7K so...yeah...maybe not even in May =/

Well, according to that reddit comment by Palmer they're still on track to ship existing pre-orders by May.

edit: yeah I mean in May. Here's the comment:

Palmer said:
As far as I know, our support has never said July, nor have we even said June. We are still on target to ship current pre-orders in May! Future shipments are going to be bigger than the current ones, as we have said in the past.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering "by May" is two weeks, and we're getting maybe 2000 per week...even if it's "by the end of May" then that's like 12000, so -maybe-...but hasn't almost every announced schedule detail so far been pushed back? Just expect it to be delayed by another month or so to be safe. :p

Artanisix

Considering "by May" is two weeks, and we're getting maybe 2000 per week...even if it's "by the end of May" then that's like 12000, so -maybe-...but hasn't almost every announced schedule detail so far been pushed back? Just expect it to be delayed by another month or so to be safe. :p

GAFfer didn't type it correctly. Palmer says existing preorders should all be sent out in May, not by May. So by the end of May, all existing preorders should be in our hands. Palmer also said they're ramping up production.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Weird, it seemed to at least partially work for me to see depth.

Yes, it works fine for me too. Maybe the output's generated automatically correct for crosseyed viewing. Almost all of these direct feed videos worked flawless for me.

LordCanti

I'll believe it when the thing is actually on my face.

1-D_FTW

they really need someone with money, it is just crazy that they can only build around 750-900 per week.

I have read there will be a 7inch Surface Tablet, i bet it has a good screen and 1080p and yeahe its a Surface so it will Flop and many screens will be avaible for others :lol

Maybe they should use them on dev kit 2

Aren't Surface tablets traditionally unimpressive with resolution?

Anyways, the 7 inch 1080p Nexus 7 is rumored to be launching as early as May.

Assuming Google isn't snapping up every panel made, that's the source to go to (or I suppose they could just salvage Nexus 7s if they didn't mind raising the price a bit).

EDIT: Oh, man. See that the rumors on the next Nexus phone are a 5.2 inch 1080p OLED screen. That would be sex for the consumer version (assuming the burn-in issue has been fixed a little bit).

LordCanti

I still waiting for some car driving game to implement Rift...

Any of the games with Track IR support and already modeled cockpits should convert over fairly simply I'd think. I guess the people that have Rift's are more focused on games like Skyrim and ME right now, but I'm sure support for racing and flying sims will come.

1-D_FTW

Any of the games with Track IR support and already modeled cockpits should convert over fairly simply I'd think. I guess the people that have Rift's are more focused on games like Skyrim and ME right now, but I'm sure support for racing and flying sims will come.

The race sim developers on PC support all kinds of exotic stuff. To an extreme degree. I wouldn't be surprised if all the major sims had native support by the time the actual product ships. It's just way early in the game. Even if they did join the kickstarter (which most didn't), they still likely wouldn't have even gotten a dev kit yet.

Man imagine that in Battlefield chopper and jet cockpit. Wow.

I would replay Skyrim and Proteus with this. The closest we will probably ever get to proper escapism. I loved the guy's seemingly genuine amazed reaction in the Skyrim video above.

Yes, it works fine for me too. Maybe the output's generated automatically correct for crosseyed viewing. Almost all of these direct feed videos worked flawless for me.

if each eye sees the other eyes image, your brain still sorts it out into some kind of depth, just not as well. it's kind of like those inverted masks of peoples faces you see, that still look 3D.

LordCanti

Man imagine that in Battlefield chopper and jet cockpit. Wow.

I would replay Skyrim and Proteus with this. The closest we will probably ever get to proper escapism. I loved the guy's seemingly genuine amazed reaction in the Skyrim video above.

I think there's much greater value in something like Proteus through VR than there was on a traditional monitor. Even though there's no "game" there, it's still probably an amazing experience when you're completely immersed.

I'd be interested to play something like Love through the Rift as well. I don't know that I'd put a whole lot of time into such a thing on a monitor, but I could see myself becoming engrossed through VR.

PewPewK

Well this was interesting...

Since people were getting notifications from UPS MyChoice when their Rifts were being delivered, I decided "Hell, why not?" and registered myself. This morning, I got an e-mail saying I was taking a delivery of a package tomorrow and I couldn't for the life of me figure out from the e-mail what it was so I looked up the tracking information.

Coming from Specialized Marketing in Santa Ana, it's a 6.40 lbs package shipped last Friday. I Google'd Specialized Marketing and it is indeed the fulfillment service that I've seen others say Oculus is using.

So pleasant surprise I guess! My Rift shipped even though I'm a way higher order number than would have been assumed (#3138)! My order page still does not have a tracking number and isn't set to shipped this was totally random.

Glassboy

Well this was interesting...

Since people were getting notifications from UPS MyChoice when their Rifts were being delivered, I decided "Hell, why not?" and registered myself. This morning, I got an e-mail saying I was taking a delivery of a package tomorrow and I couldn't for the life of me figure out from the e-mail what it was so I looked up the tracking information.

Coming from Specialized Marketing in Santa Ana, it's a 6.40 lbs package shipped last Friday. I Google'd Specialized Marketing and it is indeed the fulfillment service that I've seen others say Oculus is using.

So pleasant surprise I guess! My Rift shipped even though I'm a way higher order number than would have been assumed (#3138)! My order page still does not have a tracking number and isn't set to shipped this was totally random.

Congrats! I'm at 2333 and it still has not shipped yet.

Glassboy

International I'm guessing? Sucks that they aren't really handling those well at this point, but if their new International Fulfillment Center pans out I guess it'll be better in the long run.

Nah, MN. Hopefully soon! I have checked that order page an unhealthy amount of times. I haven't really checked in the past few days just because I was getting bored seeing the same "processing" bs that I have had for the past three weeks. I did manage to sell my tf2 code for $100, so there's a plus

LordCanti

Nah, MN. Hopefully soon! I have checked that order page an unhealthy amount of times. I haven't really checked in the past few days just because I was getting bored seeing the same "processing" bs that I have had for the past three weeks. I did manage to sell my tf2 code for $100, so there's a plus

I need to do this before everyone else with a code realizes they're worth something and floods the market.

The only problem is that I hate ebay and I wouldn't know where to begin finding someone willing to pay via an Amazon gift card or something. Steam has a built in marketplace, but I guess these won't be available for sale through it?

I've been watching sales of the Rift as well, and somewhere in the $800-$1000 range seems to be the going price. I'm still kicking myself for not pledging on day one (minute one, really) like I was going to. Who knew?

PewPewK

Oh, my order page doesn't have a tracking number or status change, I got notified through UPS MyChoice. Good chance yours might have shipped actually.

Glassboy

Oh, my order page doesn't have a tracking number or status change, I got notified through UPS MyChoice. Good chance yours might have shipped actually.

I signed up for Mychoice just so I could get the jump on it. I get excited everytime when I see the email, but it always turns out to be something from amazon lol

Macro.

Banned
I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up at some point and I heard that they will be sending out the second version of the development build possibly later this year?

Does anyone have any idea on any sort of time frame?

Mr.Green

I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up at some point and I heard that they will be sending out the second version of the development build possibly later this year?

Does anyone have any idea on any sort of time frame?

Oculus%20VR%20Emerging%20Companies%20Summit_GTC2013%20(9).jpg

This is by no means official though. It's from a private presentation they did for Nvidia.

Edit: did I just break the thread? That image now looks gigantic. Looked fine in Google images... Sorry if I did, I'm posting from my fricking iPad.

Saw the dear esther demo and noticed that the user had fake eyes on the front. I'm definitely putting large googly eyes on the front of mine.
Oculus%20VR%20Emerging%20Companies%20Summit_GTC2013%20(9).jpg

This is by no means official though. It's from a private presentation they did for Nvidia.

Edit: did I just break the thread? That image now looks gigantic. Looked fine in Google images... Sorry if I did, I'm posting from my fricking iPad.
Hopefully all the pieces fall in place by their predicted inflection point. The right price, sleaker size, increased resolution, a (existing, good) battery life, and miracast. Oh baby. If only.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That slide is from a 'pitch' they did to an innovation workshop thing at GDC. It isn't intended for public consumption and doesn't reflect their actual plans. Don't expect a devkit 2 this fall (although don't discount it either - when they source a better panel and get positional tracking sorted out they'll need to update devkits so devs can test on similar hardware to the consumer kits)

1-D_FTW

One thing that's interesting about that chart: The projected total revenue when they launch DK2 is around 10 million. And when they launch CK1 it's jumped to 50 million. So they expect to increase their revenue 4X once they launch DK2. Hopefully that optimism is based around the fact they know it's going to be 1080p and have final tracking hardware.

Durante

Hopefully all the pieces fall in place by their predicted inflection point. The right price, sleaker size, increased resolution, a (existing, good) battery life, and miracast. Oh baby. If only.
The first three are likely to happen, but there won't be battery life because it won't be wireless.

Mr.Green

The first three are likely to happen, but there won't be battery life because it won't be wireless.

Hopefully they can make a more expensive, wireless one. LG already makes a 1080p uncompressed wireless transmitter that should be good enough according to people much more knowledgeable than me on the MTBS3D forums so I guess the required tech isn't science fiction.

Top Bottom