• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

So close, yet so far away. Obviously takes cues from F Zero, but it needs to be like 3 times faster and have regular tracks.

It's a fun easy to play VR game, but it doesn't really offer much outside of the VR experience. A proper VR F-Zero clone would be amazing, but the similarities here are all just on the surface.

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing-oculus-connect-raknet-open-source-and-e3-2014-awards/

Announcing Oculus Connect (dev keynote), RakNet Open Source, and E3 2014 Awards

Oculus Connect will also feature keynotes from Brendan Iribe (CEO), Palmer Luckey (Founder), John Carmack (CTO) and Michael Abrash (Chief Scientist) on Oculus, virtual reality, and the future of the medium.

I wonder if this will become the new method of delivery for John's Quakecon style keynotes. I hope so.

I wonder if we will see or hear more details about the CV1

If they show anything new, I don't think it will be labeled as CV1. More than likely it will be something similar to Crystal Cove, which was an early look at what DK2 will become.

Thats up to devs, not Oculus.

Yes and no. Yes, it's up to the devs to implement whatever input device they think will work best for their game. However, there are just so many different input devices out there that it is difficult for the devs to decide. Should a dev focus on ControlVR support, but then drastically reduce the size of the audience, or should they just implement gamepad support and lose out on the 1:1 mapping of their hands? What about Stem, PrioVR, M/KB, Hydra, etc etc?

Oculus is known to be working on their own input solution, and if they were able to have it ready by CV1, then it will give developers a really easy choice for what to implement as it will likely be the input device that a majority of the audience will own. Without an official input device, developers will likely fall back to gamepad's (which does work, but is far from a completely immersive experience) or choose from a variety of input devices, each with their own sub-user base within Rift owners.

I really wish I could go to their dev conference to listen to all of those amazing speakers. I'm glad they will be running live streams though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes and no. Yes, it's up to the devs to implement whatever input device they think will work best for their game. However, there are just so many different input devices out there that it is difficult for the devs to decide. Should a dev focus on ControlVR support, but then drastically reduce the size of the audience, or should they just implement gamepad support and lose out on the 1:1 mapping of their hands? What about Stem, PrioVR, M/KB, Hydra, etc etc?

Sixense has a unifying SDK that works with STEM, Hydra, PrioVR, and recently announced ControlVR. Their SDK also offers interoperability for Playstation Move. And I would bet money on it eventually working with Oculus' solution as well.

If not Sixense's SDK, I expect a similar SDK to arise which will unify development of these VR controllers. It'll ultimately be up to the consumer which VR controller becomes dominant.

EDIT: Valve is already working on an API to unify headset tracking across a variety of headsets. I would expect this to eventually expand to VR Input, too.

Krejlooc

Banned
Gah, this isn't even the first time I mistake a bump of this thread with news of the DK2 being shipped. :p

I would expect shipping numbers to be put out this week. It took me about 7 days from when I got my tracking number till when it reached me last time, and I expect my rift next week.

GeoGonzo

I would expect shipping numbers to be put out this week. It took me about 7 days from when I got my tracking number till when it reached me last time, and I expect my rift next week.

Maybe... but they did say starting the 14th, so possibly still two weeks to go! But I apologize for bringing up the topic of the DK2 here, there's another thread for that. I was just amused by my mistake and wondered if I was the only one.

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe... but they did say starting the 14th, so possibly still two weeks to go! But I apologize for bringing up the topic of the DK2 here, there's another thread for that. I was just amused by my mistake and wondered if I was the only one.

They said they expect half of their 10,000 allotment to be in devs hands the week of the 14th. Now, to me, that seems like an indication that we can expect the units to actually arrive, in hands, by that week.

but ya, that's for another topic... maybe. This is the dev kit discussion topic lol

elyetis

They said they expect half of their 10,000 allotment to be in devs hands the week of the 14th. Now, to me, that seems like an indication that we can expect the units to actually arrive, in hands, by that week.

but ya, that's for another topic... maybe. This is the dev kit discussion topic lol
Half of those 10.000 was what they expect to either be through distribution centers/on their way/already delivered, by the end of the month. We don't know how many are part of the first week batch.

Krejlooc

Banned
Half of those 10.000 was what they expect to either be through distribution centers/on their way/already delivered, by the end of the month. We don't know how many are part of the first week batch.

I am, without a doubt, in that first week batch. My order time was 8:17 am.

Reallink

I was like the 60th-something backer of the KS and received DK1 Unit #40-something. I never received any sort of tracking number or correspondence whatsoever, it just showed up at my door out of no where.

Krejlooc

Banned
I was like the 60th-something backer of the KS and received DK1 Unit #40-something. I never received any sort of tracking number or correspondence whatsoever, it just showed up at my door out of no where.

Presumably, and considering later DK1 shipments didn't behave like that, they've adjusted. Cyberreality claimed the DK2 orders will have tracking numbers.

Seanspeed

Banned
If they show anything new, I don't think it will be labeled as CV1. More than likely it will be something similar to Crystal Cove, which was an early look at what DK2 will become.

Oculus is known to be working on their own input solution, and if they were able to have it ready by CV1, then it will give developers a really easy choice for what to implement as it will likely be the input device that a majority of the audience will own. Without an official input device, developers will likely fall back to gamepad's (which does work, but is far from a completely immersive experience) or choose from a variety of input devices, each with their own sub-user base within Rift owners.

I really wish I could go to their dev conference to listen to all of those amazing speakers. I'm glad they will be running live streams though.
By Oculus' own admission, they don't know what the ideal VR control scheme is yet. They're obviously doing their own R&D on this, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're focused on having an 'official' input device ready for CV1.

Technolust just sent backers info that there will be a DK2 Beta around July 14th. So stoked!!

Yep. I'm a backer, and it's going to be really nice spending more time in a longer upgraded DK2 enabled version of the Technolust demo. I wonder if I'll watch all of NOTLD this time. I watched nearly half of it the first time I played it.

Jedi2016

By Oculus' own admission, they don't know what the ideal VR control scheme is yet. They're obviously doing their own R&D on this, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're focused on having an 'official' input device ready for CV1.
One thing I do like is how open Oculus is about it. They're encouraging people to come up with stuff. I suppose it boils down to the adage about throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, but when you have a whole bunch of different groups throwing shit at a wall, what sticks has a much better chance of being something great.

Man

Technolust has few project updates compared to some other Kickstarters but this is a two-man effort and each update is quality. Looking forward to the DK2 Beta.

Krejlooc

Banned
Going to try the Virtuix omni tomorrow at their office, dunno what I'll be allowed to record or ask or say, but any questions y'all liked to be passed on?

Krejlooc

Banned
I thought I posted this earlier but can't find it in my post history. My posts have been falling to show up all day, so here goes again:

AoAVZsH.jpg

What are some of the best games/demos released in the past year? Was going to show it off to some friends later today. So excited for late March though.

If you have a powerful PC, The WItness is pretty cool.
Any tips for this? 980Ti and i53570K(maybe getting up there) and weird drops to the 40s at times on medium and high but my video card never goes above 45 C even with prefer maximum performance. Controller movement is also super jerky,

Edit: Forgot that direct only mode was part of one of the patches. Not sure why nothing is working then, lol. Oh well.

Edit 2: The Witness is literally the only game that will work, direct to rift applications don't power it on but the camera and headset itself are lit up. So fucking frustrating.

Top Bottom