• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Palmer just said during a talk with Geoff Keighley that the Consumer version of the Rift will feature better resolution than the DK2 and 90Hz.

Both of those are very much known already.

Though, he didn't commit to 90 Hz. He was just saying that at around 90 Hz is when you reach the point of diminishing returns in terms of framerate in VR.

Nice, thanks for posting. It seems interesting. Not mindblowing, but a great, pure platformer. Can't wait to give this a shot. I've tried only a very, very small amount of third person demo's and they've always felt a bit weird. The positional tracking would actually help with that a lot though as you could lean in to look at your character more.

Hopefully Oculus is shooting towards the beginning of July. We're so close...

I swear they better announce a specific timeframe for the DK2 tomorrow.
They did that a long time ago, the first orders are shipping in July. If you ordered your development kit after the order system stopped guaranteeing July, then even Oculus wouldn't know that, until the July orders actually went out, as it all depends on when the production facilities finishes them and ships them to Oculus. As this is a development kit aimed at developers, not consumers, there is no planned release schedule, just "when they arrive". At least this time they aren't going to be hand-packaged and assembled by Oculus like with the DK1.

Both of those are very much known already.

Though, he didn't commit to 90 Hz. He was just saying that at around 90 Hz is when you reach the point of diminishing returns in terms of framerate in VR
No, he very specifically said in at least one interview that the DK2 runs at 75hz due to display limitations, and production units would run at 90hz (which he considers the minimum needed for a true feeling of "presence") and would be a higher resolution than 1080p (which us why, he said at the time, non-developers shouldn't order the DK2, because of how much better the CV1 would be).

Soi-Fong

They did that a long time ago, the first orders are shipping in July. If you ordered your development kit after the order system stopped guaranteeing July, then even Oculus wouldn't know that, until the July orders actually went out, as it all depends on when the production facilities finishes them and ships them to Oculus. As this is a development kit aimed at developers, not consumers, there is no planned release schedule, just "when they arrive". At least this time they aren't going to be hand-packaged and assembled by Oculus like with the DK1.

No, he very specifically said in at least one interview that the DK2 runs at 75hz due to display limitations, and production units would run at 90hz (which he considers the minimum needed for a true feeling of "presence") and would be a higher resolution than 1080p (which us why, he said at the time, non-developers shouldn't order the DK2, because of how much better the CV1 would be).

By specific timeframe, I mean when exactly in July. Early, mid, late? I ordered two hours after it opened so I know, I'll be getting it in July, but a specific timescale would be nice to get from Oculus since we are approaching July.

xbhaskarx

I was at a conference last week and a company had an Oculus Rift. After playing with it for just three minutes, I got sick of it and stopped. My vision was messed up, my head was spinning, and I was starting to develop a headache. Three of my colleagues tried it after me and they all had similar issues...

I was at a conference last week and a company had an Oculus Rift. After playing with it for just three minutes, I got sick of it and stopped. My vision was messed up, my head was spinning, and I was starting to develop a headache. Three of my colleagues tried it after me and they all had similar issues...

DK1 or DK2?

The DK2 fixes that problem, and the CV1 (consumer version) even more. Oculus' own CEO couldn't use the DK1 more than a few minutes without getting sick, but he was able to use what became DK2 for over an hour without issues. The combination of high framerate, high resolution, super super low latency, detecting full motion rather than just head orientation, and low persistence really makes a huge difference, fixing the disconnect between moving your head and seeing the results of that motion which can bring headaches and nausea.

Soi-Fong

May I ask what demo or prototype you were playing? Some demos are just bad and will make you hurl.

By specific timeframe, I mean when exactly in July. Early, mid, late? I ordered two hours after it opened so I know, I'll be getting it in July, but a specific timescale would be nice to get from Oculus since we are approaching July.
Like I said, Oculus probably doesn't know when it'll be, because it's all dependent on whenever the production facilities get them done. It's not like a consumer release where they set a specific launch date and then collect and store units in warehouses until that date, with a development kit like this they are waiting on the Chinese production companies to make quality units and ship them to the US (by boat). They probably won't have a more specific timescale than "July" until like a week or two before they ship, unless there's a significant production problem which will delay them beyond July.

GeoGonzo

foolishness, heartbreak
Yup. I have zero insider info but I'm expecting that something at some point is likely to go wrong and cause some small delay. I'd expect the (very small) first shipment to go out literally the last week of july, if during july at all.

phinious

Oculus will be having a booth in E3 yup. Anyway, from the Oculus forums, it's confirmed that the DK2 will NOT have adjustable focus lenses.

What did the lenses do? I wear contacts, but want to let my dad try the dk2. He wears reading glasses. Can he still try it?

Blizzard

Banned
To add onto what others have said, if the lenses are wrong, or the IPD (inter-pupillary distance) is configured incorrectly, or the framerate is low, or the FOV (field of view) is bad, or a variety of the above, it is an AWFUL experience.

The devkit 1 is kind of a bad experience anyway for me because with my eyes being so different from each other I've never found a good focus combination and my glasses are crappy, so the bad resolution is made even worse. However, it can still work okay as long as the factors above aren't screwing with your head.

Architect

Neo Member
What did the lenses do? I wear contacts, but want to let my dad try the dk2. He wears reading glasses. Can he still try it?

The lenses can be used to replace glasses so you don't need to wear them in the rift. Without the adjustable lenses, if you or your father are farsighted you might still be able to use the rift without glasses due to the HMD's focus being at infinity.

Alternatively, I know DK1 has been designed with enough room for you to wear medium/small frame glasses. If you do so I believe your field of view will be reduced slightly. I assume the same applies to DK2. Can anyone confirm the DK2 has room for glasses?

Crispy75

If he only needs reading glasses, then he can dispense with them in the rift. It's focused at infinity, so his eyes can just relax.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they are still saying August for new preorders for DK2. I'm tempted but also concerned about whether they'll hit their dates as we've not heard anything concrete for initial shipments (and DK1 took bloody ages)

syko de4d

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/27xwdi/brendan_iribe_we_do_have_the_consumer_prototype/

Iribe said:
"Internally at Oculus, we do have the consumer prototype. And we have a consumer prototype that's now significantly less weight, so that it weighs almost nothing. You barley feel this on your head.. That was a big challenge, obviously, getting the weight down. It has a lot of core technology in it... It's very comfortable."

So they have a consumer prototype and it weights almost nothing :)

EVIL

There is a nice summary of info gleaned from the last couple of days at E3 over at reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2812gx/e3_tldr_highlights_for_the_lazy said:
For the three of you that haven't been reading r/oculus fifty times a day during E3, here's my summary:

DK2 Shipping
Shipping going to plan.
Nate Mitchell: “We’ll Ship 20-30,000 (DK2s) in July, I believe.. If you place an order today, you should receive it in August".​
CV1 Specs
No hard info on CV1 specs. No info on eye tracking. The CV1 prototype exists, is better than DK2 in many ways and lots of people have tried it
Palmer Luckey: "The first consumer version will be a lot better than DK2 - a lot better. There’s a lot of unannounced things we can’t talk about, but it’s going to be a lot smaller, a lot lighter, cheaper, wider field of view, higher resolution and higher framerate".
Brendan Iribe: "Internally at Oculus, we do have the consumer prototype" and "The prototype, I think we've had, hundreds of people, maybe four, five hundred people in".​
CV1 Release Date
No hard info on release date, except that end of 2015 seems to be a worst-case scenario.
Brendan Iribe: "I think Palmer said 'If we haven't shipped by the end of 2015, that's a problem'".
Conflicting info on whether the release date is dependent on content:
Brendan Iribe: "We... need it to be a fun device to use and a fun platform to use.. And for that system to be fun, it needs content. Content sells hardware, right?"
But didn't Palmer say before E3 (SVVR Ubercast 2014?) that Oculus wouldn't wait for content?​
CV1 Price
As cheap as possible:
Palmer Lucky: "We’re going to be selling it at cost".​
Edit - and likely cheaper than DK2 (see Palmer quote under CV1 Specs above)

Content
These games seemed to get a lot of coverage:
  • Lucky's Tale - unimpressive looking platformer, that's very impressive to play.
  • Alien Isolation* - AAA Alien game. See yourself get stabbed through the chest.
  • Superhot - Cool looking FPS still fundraising on Kickstarter.
  • No Man's Sky* - Space fighting, dinosaurs, massive amount of procedural content.
Motion Controllers
Lots of great reactions to ControlVR, but the community is expressing concerns about the cost & not being able to use it to move around.
There didn't seem to be any info from Oculus on whether they're working on their own motion controller.
* Edit: Not confirmed for the Rift

So late 2015 would be classed by oculus as the worst case scenario. Lets hope the Zenimax lawsuit against oculus won't make a late 2015 date a reality.

About 400/500 people in the world already got to try the CV1 prototype which is news to me. maybe we will see the CV1 before the year is up?

Also the CV1 will probably cost less than the DK2, which places it firmly in the 300 dollars range

Also if you want to order a DK2 today you will get it in august (only 1 month later than those who were first in line)

all good news

YuShtink

There is a nice summary of info gleaned from the last couple of days at E3 over at reddit.

So late 2015 would be classed by oculus as the worst case scenario. Lets hope the Zenimax lawsuit against oculus won't make a late 2015 date a reality.

About 400/500 people in the world already got to try the CV1 prototype which is news to me. maybe we will see the CV1 before the year is up?

Also the CV1 will probably cost less than the DK2, which places it firmly in the 300 dollars range

Also if you want to order a DK2 today you will get it in august (only 1 month later than those who were first in line)

all good news

I'm willing to bet we won't see any CV1 prototypes until CES of next year.

Mr.Green

I'm willing to bet we won't see any CV1 prototypes until CES of next year.

What do wanna bet? ;)

Considering they've already said they have that prototype and that about 500 people have tried it, and also considering they've said we would see a new prototype "soon" a while ago, I wouldn't bet too much if I were you.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Have they said how they plan to make money as a company? If they're selling the hardware at cost, where do they make money from?

They probably won't be making much money at the start but they haven't said that they're going to be selling the hardware at cost forever. Selling at cost is a means to an end for Oculus right now. We could very well see CV3 for example being sold at a profit if VR has really taken off by then.

Other than that I'm assuming they are planning on setting up some kind of VR storefront like Steam or the Google Play store where they'll take some percentage from the apps and games sold there. They've also said they will be making first party apps/games which they will likely be looking to profit from at some point.

Edit: From this E3 interview Ars Technica did with Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe it sounds like they're just trying to establish a large market for the Rift at present and then looking at how they can monetize it later when sales ramps up.

It's also going to help bring down the final price of the consumer unit by scaling up the production, Iribe said. "I think [the Facebook buyout] is going to allow us to deliver consumer V1 at a lower cost, because we're not trying to drive a high margin on this," he said. "[Facebook CEO] Mark [Zuckerberg], especially, wants to bring the cost down, him more than me. I do, too, but at the same time we were planning to run a business, hopefully a break-even [or] profitable business off of this, not a money-losing business. Mark is much more in the mindset of 'Let's get this to scale with the best quality product at the lowest cost possible.'"

"I'm hopeful we're not going to be losing money on [the hardware], but I think everybody agrees that if we can do it at cost that would be great for everybody," Iribe continued. "As Mark says, as you start to get to race to scale there are a lot of opportunities to monetize that are really great for consumers, because they get a really low-cost product."

friday

They probably won't be making much money at the start but they haven't said that they're going to be selling the hardware at cost forever. Selling at cost is a means to an end for Oculus right now. We could very well see CV3 for example being sold at a profit if VR has really taken off by then.

I think a lot of large hardware companies introduce new products at cost or even a loss with the intention of making money when the cost of production goes down. Wasn't PS3 sold at a loss for a while? Also, they are part of a company that knows how to make money, I would not be too worried about their finances.

Atomski

I think a lot of large hardware companies introduce new products at cost or even a loss with the intention of making money when the cost of production goes down. Wasn't PS3 sold at a loss for a while? Also, they are part of a company that knows how to make money, I would not be too worried about their finances.

Consoles and such make money at a loss by selling games. I am sure with Oculus Rift having its own development team plus whatever Facebook does with it this will be the same case.

Bsigg12

Have they said how they plan to make money as a company? If they're selling the hardware at cost, where do they make money from?

I imagine if they open a store that's a curated version of Steam dedicated to VR enabled games, they could do pretty well. They would have to create a UI/store front that was slick and kept the whole process simple so that people could start games and buy games directly with or without the Rift on.

EVIL

As far as I understand, the CV1 will be sold at loss, after components become cheaper they can add profit margins for them to survive. I would be very surprised if the CV2 will be sold at a loss.

commedieu

Banned
I'm still waiting to find out when the first DK2 units are even shipping. :p I would love to find out it's July.

I was basing this on the notion that on the pre-order page, it says "shipping in august" but folks that preordered sooner, said "shipping in july"

have the shipping dates of this been laughable? I'm considering picking up a dk1 off of craigslist. Found a few for 400. Just need to get a demo going this month for a possible grant.

Top Bottom