• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion [Orders Arriving]

Blizzard

Banned
At E3 they said they were expecting to ship 20000-30000 DK2s in July. The rest of the preorders should be shipped by August.
Fair point, and I really hope they manage to have that sort of throughput now with all the money and Facebook support. I'm just very cautious/cynical after the 5+ months (my memory is fuzzy, number may be inaccurate) it took to get the DK1 preorders out. :p I'm probably closer to the start of orders on DK2 than I was on DK1 however.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Fair point, and I really hope they manage to have that sort of throughput now with all the money and Facebook support. I'm just very cautious/cynical after the 5+ months (my memory is fuzzy, number may be inaccurate) it took to get the DK1 preorders out. :p I'm probably closer to the start of orders on DK2 than I was on DK1 however.

I'm not expecting any major issues this time around. The situation with the DK2 compared to shipping the DK1 are so different that I don't think it's a concern anymore.

YuShtink

Starting to get really excited now that it's only a few weeks away. Early July, pretty please Palmer, make it happen. I have to be in the first 1-2 thousand orders.

Its what I can afford at the moment. Hopefully it good enough for VR

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1103.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 22:57 EDT-0400

commedieu

Banned

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ Amazon)

Even my mobile videocard is kickin pretty good butt. I can only imagine better specs :)

WITH THAT IN MIND,

Anyone know the proper Oc Monitor setup in windows? I'm running into an issue where if I hook to laptop HDMI, the desktop goes to the rift. If I do extend desktop, the rift cuts off..

DK1.

Soi-Fong

You should get the "k" version of that i5 so you can at least overclock it in the future.

Mr.Green

You might not run something like Star Citizen at 75fps but you should be fine for most of the stuff out there.

Goon Boon

Banned
Not shipped out yet, but they're going to give us an update soon :

4CbIa17.png

Even my mobile videocard is kickin pretty good butt. I can only imagine better specs :)

WITH THAT IN MIND,

Anyone know the proper Oc Monitor setup in windows? I'm running into an issue where if I hook to laptop HDMI, the desktop goes to the rift. If I do extend desktop, the rift cuts off..

DK1.

Duplicate screen should work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

personally, I'd ditch the optical drive (everything is download these days), and grab a windows key from reddit. That'll give you an extra $100 roughly to see if you can improve the GPU.

Or just plan on upgrading to probably a 780 at least when CV1 comes out - if it is 1440p and 90Hz. 770 should be OK for DK2 on current games, maybe tweaking some settings.

Storm360

Ordered a DK2 after being interested since the Kickstarter but not snapping.

Really excited for it, anything you'd recommend me picking up? I'm considering Assetto Corsa if it gets voted on Steam.

EDIT: @Googleplex

If you're a university/college student, talk to your IT department about Windows, you may get either a free, or extremely discounted copy.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Ordered a DK2 after being interested since the Kickstarter but not snapping.

Really excited for it, anything you'd recommend me picking up? I'm considering Assetto Corsa if it gets voted on Steam.

I haven't tried it yet but Euro Truck Simulator 2 has Oculus Rift support and is on sale right now for $3.74 for the next two hours.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm about to order a DK2 for Assetto Corsa as well.

Was just playing the game and realizing how much these games just cant capture a proper sense of speed or depth. I wanna *feel* that a corner is 100m away, not just pick that up from a marker board. I wanna *feel* that I'm going 120mph.

Ugh. I really shouldn't, but I want to so god damn bad!

Atrophis

You really should dude. AC is one of the first things I'll be trying when my Rift turns up (weeks after you lot as I'm in the UK cry cry).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
also tempted, but I'm already going to be August so I'm trying to wait for impressions - especially from those that had the DK1. That was so low res that I'm worried even the DK2 will be a bit too low resolution to use as a main option for gaming (rather than just futzing with)

Soi-Fong

God all this Oculus stuff is killing my wallet. Wont be able to get much this sale with me getting a new videocard, buying the Premium beta for Elite Dangerous and getting a HOTAS stick.

Well at least my backlog wont grow.. Lol

wwm0nkey

Man Im really thinking about just saying screw it and going out and buying a new PC case and 780 ti when I hear when this is shipped.

Seanspeed

Banned
Anybody in the UK want to say what it cost for them in total? I cant use my US bank account to get it delivered here, so will need to transfer money over to my UK account.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anybody in the UK want to say what it cost for them in total? I cant use my US bank account to get it delivered here, so will need to transfer money over to my UK account.

DK1s were shipped from Europe so no import duties - just the basic exchange rate at the time of purchase

riflen

Talking about DK2, right?

Items:
Development Kit 2 ($350.00) x 1 = $350.00

Shipping: $35.00 USD
Tax: $77.00 USD
Order Total: $462.00 USD

So the people who ordered the DK2 when it went up and got a shipping time of "July" that still applies? it's just the newer orders that are August?

I didn't know if everyone got pushed to August. I really hope mine still comes next month, I grow tired of my DK1 :p

YuShtink

So the people who ordered the DK2 when it went up and got a shipping time of "July" that still applies? it's just the newer orders that are August?

I didn't know if everyone got pushed to August. I really hope mine still comes next month, I grow tired of my DK1 :p

Only orders after a certain point (I think it was some time in April or May when it changed) are pushed back to August. Early orders are (or hopefully are) on track for July. Since it is a developer kit they are doing a modest production run and can only make so many per day.

There are about 40,000 pre-orders and Nate says they are shooting to ship 20-30,000 of those in July.

Only orders after a certain point (I think it was some time in April or May when it changed) are pushed back to August. Early orders are (or hopefully are) on track for July. Since it is a developer kit they are doing a modest production run and can only make so many per day.

There are about 40,000 pre-orders and Nate says they are shooting to ship 20-30,000 of those in July.

Nice thanks :D I ordered mine like 2 hours after the pr-orders went up so I should get mine in the first batch hopefully

Absinthe

I'm not sure that's what it says. It says an e-mail update is coming, not specifically shipping in early July, but then again its just a matter of a few days/week difference. DK1 took like a week + to reach me.

One can dream right?

My concern right now is the Oculus will arrive and none of the DK1 games will have been updated yet.

Yeah, I'm not a developer just an enthusiast - but I have to wonder what is involved with converting a demo from DK1 ready to DK2 ready?

elyetis

Yeah, I'm not a developer just an enthusiast - but I have to wonder what is involved with converting a demo from DK1 ready to DK2 ready?
I might be wrong but I don't think it will involve much work, the API should make it pretty easy ( positional tracking should just be a new input source for the dev ).

wickfut

Banned

People who pre-ordered at the very start should be getting an email within the next 10 days regarding their order delivery.

Kilrathi

I got my vr museum project moved over to ue4.2, I did some of the work while in my hotel at e3 and the rest this week. Got a few new ideas that I want to work after seeing more e3 at e3

elyetis

People who pre-ordered at the very start should be getting an email within the next 10 days regarding their order delivery.
Actually he then posted this :
Just to be clear, we probably won't be sending out a mass email on July 1st. My comment was in reference to a post I plan to make in the forum (and probably Reddit) regarding the DK2 shipping status. Basically it will be a new DK2 Shipping thread with the most recent information at that time. Sorry for any confusion.

mario_O

From Reddit:

Old content made with the 0.2.x versions of the Oculus SDK will not work on the DK2. Content made with the newer SDK (0.3.x) will work, but only in a "compatibility mode." This means basic rendering and tracking will function but not the fancy new DK2 stuff. For full DK2 compatibility developers will need to recompile their games with an upcoming SDK that will be released around the time DK2 launches.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/28hk0z/dk2_compatibility_question/

Storm360

I haven't tried it yet but Euro Truck Simulator 2 has Oculus Rift support and is on sale right now for $3.74 for the next two hours.

I've owned ETS2 since before it was on Steam, really enjoy that game.

Was just playing the game and realizing how much these games just cant capture a proper sense of speed or depth. I wanna *feel* that a corner is 100m away, not just pick that up from a marker board. I wanna *feel* that I'm going 120mph.

I wasn't gonna, but discovered that I had the money to spare and i've been literally watching Oculus videos since the DK1's shipped, so may aswell go for it.

I need to pay off the PC I just built before I can lay down $350 bones for a DK2. Hopefully the second wave doesn't take too ship.

I picked up Possibly Archery today. It's a great VR game, espescially if you have a Razer Hydra (use the alternate hydra controls that give you more control). Motion controls + bow and arrow + VR is a really great fit. I can see archery being a great demonstration of the benefits of VR (since it's so much easier to judge where you're aiming AND to get a sense of where your targets are and how far off you were with your shot).

It's like $3 on Steam right now, for a few fun archery minigames. Recommended!

Top Bottom