• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuna_love

Banned
So I just bought the Turing Test on PC, but when I start it the audio defaults to my Rift. Not the video.

And the isn't a VR game. Anyway to fix this without unplugging it?
right click on the speaker icon bottom right and choose playback devices, then right click on speakers you want and set to default

gdt

right click on the speaker icon bottom right and choose playback devices, then right click on speakers you want and set to default

The ones I want are already default. The Oculus Rift ones are "ready". No other game does this. Anyway to force this program to use the default speakers? Poked around in the .ini and I didn't see much.

tuna_love

Banned
The ones I want are already default. The Oculus Rift ones are "ready". No other game does this. Anyway to force this program to use the default speakers? Poked around in the .ini and I didn't see much.
might have to disable the rift audio, i get lots of these annoying issues with the mic

Insomniac's third-person brawler Feral Rites is releasing September 13
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/773189112203448321

Reminder that today is the last day to get access to the Dragon Front beta by purchasing Damaged Core.

I really enjoy it in VR, but there are some annoyances. Perf is kind of rough, and some sections of some tracks will still tank my framerate. I need to put more time into it.

Oh nice, really looking forward to Feral Rites. Edge of Nowhere was great.

Damaged Core is actually a really cool game and I was surprised that it launched at $30 versus a whole bunch of other higher priced (many overpriced IMO) games. It shows you can make a fast paced 1st person shooter with no motion sickness - it made me really want to play Binary Domain in the same fashion.

Okay. Oculus is really the worst support. Really told me: "Since its a NA Oculus you can only return it in NA, since we dont sell it in Europe besides on our website."

So I contacted Amazon and they were super helpful. They were totally sorry that the unit is defective, sent me a new one, told me to send the defective one back to them and will pay for the return shipping while Oculus told me: "Lol. Though luck having a broken Oculus. We wont help you if you cant send it back to America again."

Okay. Oculus is really the worst support. Really told me: "Since its a NA Oculus you can only return it in NA, since we dont sell it in Europe besides on our website."

So I contacted Amazon and they were super helpful. They were totally sorry that the unit is defective, sent me a new one, told me to send the defective one back to them and will pay for the return shipping while Oculus told me: "Lol. Though luck having a broken Oculus. We wont help you if you cant send it back to America again."
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You didn't purchase it from Oculus, you purchased it from Amazon, so it's them who you return the defective product to. It's the same with just about anything you buy - if I buy an electric razor and it is defective, I don't go to the manufacturer, I go to the store I purchased it from. The manufacturer accepting a product back directly from the consumer for repair (when not purchased from them) is a nicety, not the norm, and since there are multiple legal and technical issues working with electronics from other countries, such as different standards of electronic shielding to be met, it's a very rare company that would accept an item for repair purchased from another country. In fact, often just running a device on a different power system than it was designed for would be the cause for a problem, which would be the consumer's fault, so I could see where that could invalidate the warranty, even if it would work perfectly fine with that power difference.

I recently had to remove the facial interface to access the HDMI cable. When putting it back, the top part of it clicks in, but the bottom part ( where the nose is) doesn't. It's very easy to detach now. Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like that before.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You didn't purchase it from Oculus, you purchased it from Amazon, so it's them who you return the defective product to. It's the same with just about anything you buy - if I buy an electric razor and it is defective, I don't go to the manufacturer, I go to the store I purchased it from. The manufacturer accepting a product back directly from the consumer for repair (when not purchased from them) is a nicety, not the norm, and since there are multiple legal and technical issues working with electronics from other countries, such as different standards of electronic shielding to be met, it's a very rare company that would accept an item for repair purchased from another country. In fact, often just running a device on a different power system than it was designed for would be the cause for a problem, which would be the consumer's fault, so I could see where that could invalidate the warranty, even if it would work perfectly fine with that power difference.

The thing is there is actually no difference between the EU Oculus and the NA Oculus. I can totally understand it if it would be, but there isnt. Both are the exact same products.

robotrock

Banned
I recently had to remove the facial interface to access the HDMI cable. When putting it back, the top part of it clicks in, but the bottom part ( where the nose is) doesn't. It's very easy to detach now. Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like that before.
That's normal.

AgeEighty

The thing is there is actually no difference between the EU Oculus and the NA Oculus. I can totally understand it if it would be, but there isnt. Both are the exact same products.

Yeah, but still. It's not about the difference in products, it's about where you bought it. For just about any electronics you have to follow the retail return chain. If they accepted that Rift from you, they're taking ownership of it, even if the problem was somehow Amazon's fault. So they'll have you return it to Amazon to maintain the supply chain integrity. This is standard practice for just about all electronics.

I got damaged core after reading the reviews...boy what a game!

Do people play it sitting or standing? I thought it was a sitting game but sometimes I needed to do 180 for a long period of time.

It's also hard! The bots don't last long so there's a lot of teleporting, and then refocussing on the targets.

I enjoyed it, but surprisingly stressful to be first person and getting shot in vr.

I got damaged core after reading the reviews...boy what a game!

Do people play it sitting or standing? I thought it was a sitting game but sometimes I needed to do 180 for a long period of time.

It's also hard! The bots don't last long so there's a lot of teleporting, and then refocussing on the targets.

I enjoyed it, but surprisingly stressful to be first person and getting shot in vr.

It's really good, and its sad that the mainstream VG sites arent covering it. $30 is very good value versus the other games on the oculus store.

The game also shows that you can have a fun first person shooter without motion sickness and without requiring touch controllers. This was a surprise to me since I consider the Rift becomes a full VR experience once the touch controllers (and second camera for room scale) come out.

This website was listing the Touch controllers at €199 earlier before changing it (archived version).

$199 is my expectation for Touch ($ being roughly same as euro)

Given how good Vive is for room scale. its hard for me to imagine Oculus wanting a full set (headset + touch/camera) at more than the Vive's $800. That means I see $199 as the highest they will price from a marketing perspective on top of the $600 headset.

Of course, if the technology is especially expensive then it could be priced more. The controllers are capable of more functionality than Vive (eg gesture detection like point/thumbs up etc) whereas the resolution of room scale tracking is less as I understand it (vs Vive Lighthouse)

Also would be interesting if Rift touch bundle lacks a X1 controller, since the touch controllers have the analog sticks and buttons to replicate one.

120v

not that i'm particularly surprised but... no way i'll rush out to get a touch at that price. whole point of my choosing the rift was to save a couple hundred

vermadas

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the block puzzle in Chronos. Did the first two portals, but after spending far too long trying to connect a path to the third, I shut it off. Doubt I'll come back to it. Fuck whoever decided that was a good idea to leave in the game.

Tain

Steel Combat is kind of exciting if only to see what a polished Japanese arcade game built for VR is like. You can even play it with an arcade stick, lol. It's bare, but it has some interesting mechanical twists going on (mechs have a ranged mode with ammo allowing them to shoot across the circular arena, round loser gets to re-size the arena) and it's pretty.

Hard to have such little in the way of single player options when your playerbase is so tiny though.

gdt

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the block puzzle in Chronos. Did the first two portals, but after spending far too long trying to connect a path to the third, I shut it off. Doubt I'll come back to it. Fuck whoever decided that was a good idea to leave in the game.

I couldn't figure it out.

As a goof I gave it to my 13 year old sister when she was over here, and it took her like 90 seconds to figure it out.

No lie.

Bookoo

Yea, it was a pretty bad puzzle. A lot of the puzzles in that game were pretty bad even though I really enjoyed the game.

I tried it for a while and was off by 2 blocks, after that point I gave up and just looked up a block solver online.

Got my new Oculus. HDMI problems gone.

Anyone knows whether Oculus Touch will offer a longer HDMI cable. I already feel the included one is not long enough, especially for roomscale games.

BubbaMc

I know there's a lot of you playing ED, but is anyone here playing DCS World with the Rift?

I've read so many gushing reports about this game with the Rift, nearly all players stating they would never go back to a monitor after using it. If these reports are correct, the device seems like THE killer hardware accessory for seated simulations.

I wasn't planning on purchasing at this stage, but I couldn't hold off any longer. Mine is on it's way.

If you're not aware of DCS World, check it out on Steam. It's free to play with two aircraft, the SU-25 and P-51D training version, and the multiplayer community is thriving. I'm keen to join any of you for some formation flying in VR, especially if you're in Australia :)

Septimius

I know there's a lot of you playing ED, but is anyone here playing DCS World with the Rift?

I've read so many gushing reports about this game with the Rift, nearly all players stating they would never go back to a monitor after using it. If these reports are correct, the device seems like THE killer hardware accessory for seated simulations.

I wasn't planning on purchasing at this stage, but I couldn't hold off any longer. Mine is on it's way.

If you're not aware of DCS World, check it out on Steam. It's free to play with two aircraft, the SU-25 and P-51D training version, and the multiplayer community is thriving. I'm keen to join any of you for some formation flying in VR, especially if you're in Australia :)

Played a ton of DCS (not world) with TrackIR back in the day. It was crucial to the experience and so much fun. Thanks for bringing up DCS world, I'm on the brink of buying Rift and a new PC, so it'll be just that little bit harder to do now.

BubbaMc

Played a ton of DCS (not world) with TrackIR back in the day. It was crucial to the experience and so much fun. Thanks for bringing up DCS world, I'm on the brink of buying Rift and a new PC, so it'll be just that little bit harder to do now.

Here's one of the reports I was thinking of when I wrote that:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4275678/My_Oculus_Experience#Post4275678

With the F-14A/C and F-18C to be released in the next few months (complete with carrier ops), and so many new aircraft available (the free Mustang is amazing), now is a great time to consider getting the sim :)

Whoa, get Polynomial 2 on Steam. Upload a cool track into the game and choose the "Hex" Chillout option. It's basically a 3D music visualizer where there's a tunnel with lights pulsating to the beat of your music at the end of the tunnel, with crazy effects popping up in front of you.

dgco86

Got my new Oculus. HDMI problems gone.

Anyone knows whether Oculus Touch will offer a longer HDMI cable. I already feel the included one is not long enough, especially for roomscale games.

I'm an international customer who purchased my Rift from Amazon too so I'm glad they will most likely take care of it if I have issues.

I'm an international customer who purchased my Rift from Amazon too so I'm glad they will most likely take care of it if I have issues.

Yeah. It was a great experience. I just wonder why Oculus just said "though luck" instead of actually proposing a real solution, while Amazon was "Oh shit. Sorry. We will send a replacement to you. We are so so sorry!"

Bog

Junior Ace
Do I need to do anything do unlink my account with Oculus before I sell my Rift? Is there like a factory reset I can do?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Isn't the headset tied to your email address?

Not that I can tell.
The only thing I couldn't give the guy was the codes I redeemed for the bundled games since those are tied to my Oculus account.

Also couldn't transfer the warranty but no biggie there.

vermadas

Crosspost from the Redout thread:

The game defaults to using SteamVR and Rift owners don't get the option of choosing "Other VR" mode to use the Oculus Runtime directly. I saw a tip somewhere that mentioned if you uninstall SteamVR, it will fall back to using Oculus Runtime. I've been having other issues with SteamVR so I decided to try this and see if it worked. It did, and it also had a huge performance benefit. I was able to turn up several graphics options. And it could be my imagination, but the UI looked a little more crisp as well.

Any other Rift owners want to check this out and report back for a sanity check?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

vermadas

This game looked so terrible from the get-go. It looked like a C-tier PS2 game design doc that some developer had sitting in a drawer... hoping someone would allow him to make it. Along comes Oculus with handfuls of cash desperate for any content- and out come the rejected design docs.

Seems like that's exactly what it was:

http://uploadvr.com/feral-rites-review-oculus-rift/

Yeah, they had this game playable at some demos and no one ever said anything remarkable about it. Really surprised at the asking price.

Bookoo

Yeah, they had this game playable at some demos and no one ever said anything remarkable about it. Really surprised at the asking price.

Yea, I never heard anything good about it.

Jeff Gerstmann seemed pretty down on it which isn't that shocking, but when I heard Jeff Canata saying the same thing I was like "oh boy...it must not be that great".

This game looked so terrible from the get-go. It looked like a C-tier PS2 game design doc that some developer had sitting in a drawer... hoping someone would allow him to make it. Along comes Oculus with handfuls of cash desperate for any content- and out come the rejected design docs.

Seems like that's exactly what it was:

http://uploadvr.com/feral-rites-review-oculus-rift/

Another review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXLprbP-O3U

Given how few good full-scale games there are I would love to get this but cant justify $50 especially with Damaged Core at $30 representing much better value. The weird thing is that Edge of Nowhere looks more polished and yet thats cheaper at $40.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-confirm-guardian-boundary-system-oculus-touch-sdk-1-8-update/

Interestingly, this boundary wasn’t actually just a line; it appeared as a piece of barbed wire, fitting with Dead & Buried’s Western aesthetic. This suggests of course that developers may have the ability to style the Oculus boundary system to suit their game.

I hope that's true. My biggest issue with Chaperone is that it was pretty immersion breaking. This wouldn't quite solve that, but it'd help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom