• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

I wonder how SteamVR will handle the Oculus boundary. Just not show the Chaperone and let the Oculus software do it? Or maybe it'll let users choose?

Quick question. I may be possibly selling my Rift soon (still debating).

Is it true that the headset is somewhat tied to the account?

If you, how do I proceed?

RealMeat

Banned
Anyone try AirMech? I'm wondering if there's enough single player stuff in it to be worth it at that price. I'm assuming there's not a lot of people playing multiplayer.

Bookoo

Anyone try AirMech? I'm wondering if there's enough single player stuff in it to be worth it at that price. I'm assuming there's not a lot of people playing multiplayer.

I played it for about 30 to an hour minutes. It seems like fun game, but I was never huge into RTS. I do want to go back to it and learn more and supposedly they are going to add touch support. Giantbomb played it on the Rift launch stream although they did have connection issues for some of it.

33 bucks for Chronos...it may finally be time to bite.

If you enjoy 3rd person RPGs than Chronos is probably one of the best VR game out right now. Makes me want to play all 3rd person games in VR.

Bookoo

Chronos is excellent. Anyone have a list of what's on sale?

Project CARS – Game of the Year Edition from $49.99 to $24.99 (50% off)
Windlands from $19.99 to $13.49 (32% off)
The Assembly from $29.99 to $19.99 (33% off)
Defense Grid 2: Enhanced VR Edition from $29.99 to $14.99 (50% off)
Radial-G : Racing Revolved from $24.99 to $16.74 (33% off)
Darknet from $9.99 to $3.34 (66% off)
Chronos from $49.99 to $33.49 (33% off)
AirMech: Command from $39.99 to $26.99 (32% off)
Crystal Rift from $9.99 to $3.34 (66% off)
World of Diving from $19.99 to $13.49 (32% off)

Bookoo

Man that deal is insane. I would have been happy to pick it up at $30 dollars.

Sort of worries me since the game most likely wasn't selling all that well due to the price and the mediocre reviews. I really hope Insomniac continues to make VR content.

Out of curiosity, as someone currently building a new PC, will the AMD RX 480 be enough to play most Oculus VR games at a good frame rate, or should I just wait for Vega?

RealMeat

Banned
I'd love to hear opinions on Feral Rites from those of you that purchased it for 9.99

I played it for a couple hours. For $10, it seems pretty good. Not the deepest game, but the combat's fun. My only real complaint is when you switch areas, the camera position changes based on where you came from. It can be pretty disorienting. Chronos used the same camera position each time, and it was easier to keep track of where you were going. Also, there's no graphics options, but it runs great and looks pretty good on my PC.

Tain

Yeah, I'm curious about it, but I feel like Damaged Core would be more worth my time and I haven't picked up either yet.

Does Feral Rites have difficulty levels? Wondering if adding some challenge to it would help for me.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/42908/red-tint-should-be-gone-within-days

Supposedly they are pushing out a "fix" for the red tint issue over the next couple days. Everyone should have it by Wednesday according to this post.

Interested to see the results of their work on this problem, as mine definitely has this issue in dark scenes.

Now if they could somehow fix the damn horrific light rays in high contrast situations.

Has there been any news lately about Oculus Touch/holiday games? Aren't they supposed to be doing something early next month?

Wallach

Now if they could somehow fix the damn horrific light rays in high contrast situations.

Has there been any news lately about Oculus Touch/holiday games? Aren't they supposed to be doing something early next month?

Yeah, Oculus Connect conference is Oct. 4th through 7th, and they're expected to announce the Touch price and release date there, along with I imagine a big showing of the launch lineup. Rumor at the moment is that Touch is shipping around the end of Oct. but I suppose we'll find out for certain during the conference.

Reallink

Out of curiosity, as someone currently building a new PC, will the AMD RX 480 be enough to play most Oculus VR games at a good frame rate, or should I just wait for Vega?

HardOCP has done a lot of VR benches on Vive, the 480 is generally way behind the 1060 and most of the games aren't even using Nvidia's VRworks tech which would take the lead even further. At this point you absolutely do not want a 480 over a 1060 for VR. If you have the money, a 1070, 1080, or 1080ti is best for supersampling, it's like an HMD generational leap at high values and that's not hyperbole. I can't understate the benefits of VR SS.

Yeah, Oculus Connect conference is Oct. 4th through 7th, and they're expected to announce the Touch price and release date there, along with I imagine a big showing of the launch lineup. Rumor at the moment is that Touch is shipping around the end of Oct. but I suppose we'll find out for certain during the conference.

Sweet! Thanks. I'm guessing $149 for touch if it comes with another sensor. I feel like Oculus has been pretty quiet lately so I really hope they have some promising stuff to show us.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess this is relevant for this thread.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-price-revealed-london-game-store/

Touch, the long awaited natural input controller for the Oculus Rift, still doesn’t have an official price or release date—but a tweet from Nick Summers, associate editor at Engadget UK, has revealed that Oculus Touch is going to be priced at £189.99, at least in Britain.

https://twitter.com/nisummers/status/778267907038015488?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Csz2Yj-XEAEKq7H.jpg

This is inline with the earlier price of 199 euros on Mediamarkt.

Yikes. Puts the price of a Rift and Touch just less than the Vive then, so not entirely unexpected.

As an aside, I didn't realise the online price for a Rift had gone up to £549. Similar percentage increase as the Vive got. Fucking referendum.

Enordash

Damn. I am expecting $299 Canadian and probably $199 USD.

The fact that they are doing in store preorders like that makes me hopeful we won't see delays like we did with the Rift itself. I wonder if it will be better to just order in a store than wait on my placeholder from Oculus' own store.

I'm still expecting $199 USD even though that doesn't really line up with the usual pricing models right?

mario_O

I guess this is relevant for this thread.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-price-revealed-london-game-store/

https://twitter.com/nisummers/status/778267907038015488?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This is inline with the earlier price of 199 euros on Mediamarkt.

If its 190 pounds it will probably cost close to 250 euros in yurop. Insane for a controller. The whole package will be around 1.000 euros. This thing is doomed. But I guess they already know that , and this is really just another open beta.

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
Oculus Medium is awesome!

I've got the chance to try Oculus Medium, and it's pretty amazing! I can say without a doubt, that it's one of the best VR application I've tried so far! :)
This a picture of my wife, making her first VR sculpture. :D

kwGgmn7.jpg

$200 for Touch is more than I was hoping for, but was sorta expecting it at the same time. Oculus kind of screwed the pooch with pricing in general. I know there are plenty of reasons why it costs what it costs, but 800 bucks for an early adopter full VR experience is such a far cry from what Oculus was shooting for a couple years ago. Pretty disappointed how this affects VR's image as a whole. Hopefully the price falls fast.

I'll still buy the stupid Touch controllers though, they look awesome.

Zannex

Neo Member
Played Dragon Front's four tutorial missions (one for each faction) and 4 additional practice matches last night and really enjoyed it. Tried playing a ranked match but after 15-20 minutes of searching I gave up.

$200 for Touch is more than I was hoping for, but was sorta expecting it at the same time. Oculus kind of screwed the pooch with pricing in general. I know there are plenty of reasons why it costs what it costs, but 800 bucks for an early adopter full VR experience is such a far cry from what Oculus was shooting for a couple years ago. Pretty disappointed how this affects VR's image as a whole. Hopefully the price falls fast.

I'll still buy the stupid Touch controllers though, they look awesome.

I'm the exact opposite, would have completely skipped VR fr another couple years if all we got was DK2.5. The DK2 proved to me what it was, anything less than what CV1 is now would have lost me.

I'm excited to start using my Rift again once the Touch controllers are out. I have enjoyed zero gamepad-based VR games.

Damn, that sucks, I've loved a few of the games like Chronos, Blazerush, Lucky's Tale, The Climb ...

My first sculpt in VR :)
HKdRnBI.gif

This is awesome,I'm really hoping the Touch lineup is as good as the initial Rift launch, that kept me going for a while.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
First VR bomba-

That terrible looking Feral Rites game has dropped $20 a week after release. It's now 29.99.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It was $10 over the weekend.

So it came out at $49.99, a week later went on sale for $10, now it's $29.99?

Amazing. Makes you really want to buy new stuff on the Oculus store.

That is if you could even sort the Oculus store by release date and see what's new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom