• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot

Help me, VirtuaGAF!

I'm setting up my Rift and have hit the first snag.
My monitor is a 4k TV that has to be connected to the PC by GPU HDMI.
There's another HDMI socket on the motherboard which I *thought* would be fine for the Rift, but nada. Seems the Rift must be plugged into the GPU HDMI.
Plugging the TV into the motherboard HDMI does nothing. Blank screen.
That leaves me with no TV display to continue setting up the Rift.
I've got spare Display Ports from the GPU - do I simply need to get a Display Port-HDMI adapter? Would the TV work fine at 4k/60 using one of these? I don't have a spare monitor lying around (or a Display Port cable) as a temporary measure.
Or is there a way to 'activate' the motherboard HDMI socket to get images to the TV to finish the setup?
What the hell is the motherboard HDMI used for? Is it possibly the solution to my missing 5.1 audio woes?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully someone can help. I guess I started setting this up too late this evening..!

Which is the best "VR Cinema" to navigate through he internet and access webpages with streaming services like Crunchy?

Bonus points if its free and accepts Touch controllers.

Help me, VirtuaGAF!

I'm setting up my Rift and have hit the first snag.
My monitor is a 4k TV that has to be connected to the PC by GPU HDMI.
There's another HDMI socket on the motherboard which I *thought* would be fine for the Rift, but nada. Seems the Rift must be plugged into the GPU HDMI.
Plugging the TV into the motherboard HDMI does nothing. Blank screen.
That leaves me with no TV display to continue setting up the Rift.
I've got spare Display Ports from the GPU - do I simply need to get a Display Port-HDMI adapter? Would the TV work fine at 4k/60 using one of these? I don't have a spare monitor lying around (or a Display Port cable) as a temporary measure.
Or is there a way to 'activate' the motherboard HDMI socket to get images to the TV to finish the setup?
What the hell is the motherboard HDMI used for? Is it possibly the solution to my missing 5.1 audio woes?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully someone can help. I guess I started setting this up too late this evening..!

Motherboard video ports only output if you dont have a GPU installed (and you need to use your GPU ports for Oculus anyway).

My monitor is hooked up to my only HDMI port, and I am running the Oculus off of a DVI to HDMI adapter. You could do something like that, or get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for your monitor, etc

Mascot

Motherboard video adapters only work if you dont have a GPU installed.

My monitor is hooked up to my only HDMI port, and I am running the Oculus off of a DVI to HDMI adapter. You could do something like that, or get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for your monitor, etc.

That's terrific, thanks very much. i'll get a Display Port to HDMI adapter for the TV tomorrow and that'll hopefully solve the problem. I was hoping it was something simple. The TV will still do 4k/60 this way, yes?

So.. damn.. close.. to.. using.. my.. Rift.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's terrific, thanks very much. i'll get a Display Port to HDMI adapter for the TV tomorrow and that'll hopefully solve the problem. I was hoping it was something simple. The TV will still do 4k/60 this way, yes?

So.. damn.. close.. to.. using.. my.. Rift.

I think most current GPUs use a Displayport standard that can do 4k/60. Whether it also supports 4:4:4 chroma, I'm not sure of (then again, not all 4K TVs can support that either at 60Hz).

Also note that the Rift should also work fine using a Displayport-HDMI adapter or DVI-HDMI adapter.

Mascot

I think most current GPUs use a Displayport standard that can do 4k/60. Whether it also supports 4:4:4 chroma, I'm not sure of (then again, not all 4K TVs can support that either at 60Hz).

Also note that the Rift should also work fine using a Displayport-HDMI adapter or DVI-HDMI adapter.

Great, thanks very much. That's a huge help. I'm very new to PC gaming and even newer to VR.

So any DP-HDMI adapter will work? Or would I be better off (for neatness if nothing else) getting a DP-HDMI cable of the correct length?

XiaNaphryz

Great, thanks very much. That's a huge help. I'm very new to PC gaming and even newer to VR.

So any DP-HDMI adapter will work? Or would I be better off (for neatness if nothing else) getting a DP-HDMI cable of the correct length?

I'm not sure if ANY adapter will necessarily work (some really cheap low quality stuff may not, which wouldn't be surprising), but I have seen some off-the-shelf adapters from Best Buy work out fine.

Cheers - much appreciated!

I had the exact same question when I got my PC and headset :)

I've done the same thing but the other way around. I have the Rift plugged into the HDMI socket and the TV plugged into a DVI socket via an adapter cable. I didn't think DVI carried sound but apparently there is a newer version which does, so I have video and audio from both outputs.

Amneisac

Definitely blurrier than I expected. I think I need to mess with the adjustment and the vertical position a little more next time. Only did First Contact so far.

Mascot

I had the exact same question when I got my PC and headset :)

I've done the same thing but the other way around. I have the Rift plugged into the HDMI socket and the TV plugged into a DVI socket via an adapter cable. I didn't think DVI carried sound but apparently there is a newer version which does, so I have video and audio from both outputs.
Many thanks - that's good to know.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Got mine from Best Buy a few days ago, I think I'm in love.
Robo Recall, SUPERHOT VR and Echo Arena are the real deal, The level of immersion each of those games offer is completely unreal.

I've been looking for something music based to enjoy in VR, unfortunately Harmonix Music VR looks like exactly what I'm looking for but is PSVR exclusive. I've been using GrooVR but it seems extremely limited in scope. I've heard good things about TIltbrush's audio brushes, can I play my own music and have it influence the game that way?

I've had Rock Band VR but can't get it to start, currently emailing back and forth with Harmonix Support to find a solution, but even without that I still have found plenty to do and play, I am kinda blown away by just how good all of this is, glad I bit the bullet.

Soundboxing
Audioshield
Airtone

jrcbandit

Definitely blurrier than I expected. I think I need to mess with the adjustment and the vertical position a little more next time. Only did First Contact so far.
Fresnel hybrid lens they use in the Oculus allows more of the play area to be in focus, i.e., larger sweet spot, compared to a normal lens like in PSVR (and fresnel lenses are much lighter), but at the same time introduces visual artifacts termed God Rays which are light beams that can cause blurriness so its a mixed blessing. I find many menus look like complete crap due to God Rays artifacts but most games actually look good. When developers work to minimize God Rays, the graphics on Oculus look amazing like in Robo Recall and Lone Echo.

If things are blurry in game, try adjusting the headset more. Don't use menus to judge or the main Oculus home space, as god rays make things look poor.

The Dude

Fresnel hybrid lens they use in the Oculus allows more of the play area to be in focus, i.e., larger sweet spot, compared to a normal lens like in PSVR (and fresnel lenses are much lighter), but at the same time introduces visual artifacts termed God Rays which are light beams that can cause blurriness so its a mixed blessing. I find many menus look like complete crap due to God Rays artifacts but most games actually look good. When developers work to minimize God Rays, the graphics on Oculus look amazing like in Robo Recall and Lone Echo.

If things are blurry in game, try adjusting the headset more. Don't use menus to judge or the main Oculus home space, as god rays make things look poor.

https://youtu.be/anvz-AES2cY

One of the downsides to getting an Oculus Rift is I currently have 3 monitors hooked up to my graphics card - via DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort - leaving only a single DVI output. I guess I'm going to have to disconnect the 3rd monitor for this. Darn.

(GTX Titan Black, for what it's worth)

XiaNaphryz

One of the downsides to getting an Oculus Rift is I currently have 3 monitors hooked up to my graphics card - via DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort - leaving only a single DVI output. I guess I'm going to have to disconnect the 3rd monitor fori this. Darn.

(GTX Titan Black, for what it's worth)

Try a DVI-HDMI adapter first to plug the Rift in, assuming none of your monitors has a DVI connection.

Listonosh

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but I ended up with getting a spare code for Lone Echo through a bundle I bought from a seller, and I had already purchased it myself from the store. Does anyone want it for $30? $10 bucks off?

Soi-Fong

Got mine from Best Buy a few days ago, I think I'm in love.
Robo Recall, SUPERHOT VR and Echo Arena are the real deal, The level of immersion each of those games offer is completely unreal.

I've been looking for something music based to enjoy in VR, unfortunately Harmonix Music VR looks like exactly what I'm looking for but is PSVR exclusive. I've been using GrooVR but it seems extremely limited in scope. I've heard good things about TIltbrush's audio brushes, can I play my own music and have it influence the game that way?

I've had Rock Band VR but can't get it to start, currently emailing back and forth with Harmonix Support to find a solution, but even without that I still have found plenty to do and play, I am kinda blown away by just how good all of this is, glad I bit the bullet.

Lone Echo should be a requirement now. :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Polybius is a day one for me. Love Minter. I'm chomping at the bit.
Bought Polybius on PS4 and will definitely be getting it on PC too. Gotta keep Minter in curry and his sheep in biscuits.
H8ThVG8.gif

Soroc

Just ordered custom lenses from widmo (didn't think they would accommodate my shitty prescription but sent them an email with my prescription and they provided a custom order form for me!) Can't wait to get them in and stop worrying about my glasses getting stuck or possibly having lens on lens contact and I heard from others that getting the custom lenses has improved their field of view as well.

VR has made a madman out of me in less then a week...

Amneisac

Oh okay thank you I will do that tomorrow. I have a head cold with some ear infection type stuff so I don't want to do too much and have a bad first experience.

I also have some miswired nerves and muscles in my eyes so even though I'm 20/20 with my contacts I don't really have stereoscopic vision so I'm expecting some weirdness. I did enjoy first contact but I noticed that the menus we're hard to read and the home menu thing afterwards looked like someone smeared Vaseline all over the lenses.

Soroc

Headset itself can be USB 2.0 and it's all good

Thanks for clarification, I figured it should be fine on 2.0 but figured I'd state 3.0 since that seems to be what they want you to use. Although some people seem to have better results using the 2.0 from what I have read on reddit.

Tealmann

Where do you guys keep your headsets?
I've been putting mine back in the box, but it's a pain putting it in and taking it out because of the cable.

It kept coming back in and out all day. I just got one through but the headset is backordered to mid August while the touch is in stock now.

Not sure if I want to keep it now or not.....

So I called and it's been packed and ships tonight here by weekend. Guess I'll be popping back into this topic then to ask some questions as I go through setup etc!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I've been putting mine back in the box, but it's a pain putting it in and taking it out because of the cable.
I'd definitely invest in a "premium" storage case for your HMD. This is the one I have for my PSVR:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powera-storage-case-for-playstation-vr-black/5464800.p?skuId=5464800

Works fantastic for keeping dust out and carrying it place to place. I'm sure there are Oculus equivalent ones out there.

Crash331

I just sit it on my desk off to the right some. It's not that fragile so I don't feel the need to put it in any sort of protection, and I play it every night so that would get old real fast.

I just leave it on the couch and put a soft cover over it. I actually ordered this with my replacement pad from Vrcovers so that should be more convenient.

Jzero

On display on my IKEA furniture. You're doing it wrong if you have to put it back in the box.

Damn, I was straight Recking people in Eve Valkeyie....and I usually hate spaceship flying games....but damn that was awesome.

Was going like 18-0 and 10-0 while everyone else was like only getting 1 or 4 kills.

btw, is this game just multiplayer only? No single player?

Mascot

I think I'll keep mine in the drawstring bag that my mountain bike helmet came with, just to keep it protected from dust and light scratches. You can buy these from eBay dirt cheap. The bag can also be hung on the wall from the drawstring if you are short of shelf space.

The Dude

Damn, I was straight Recking people in Eve Valkeyie....and I usually hate spaceship flying games....but damn that was awesome.

Was going like 18-0 and 10-0 while everyone else was like only getting 1 or 4 kills.

btw, is this game just multiplayer only? No single player?

Awesome man, here's a question and I didn't have much time to really hunt around but are there any options to flip the sticks around so that I can aim with my right analog instead of the left? I seen only a Y invert but didn't find any options to flip them which sucks because I'm so not used to that, but I'm hoping there are other options I simply didn't find.

Awesome man, here's a question and I didn't have much time to really hunt around but are there any options to flip the sticks around so that I can aim with my right analog instead of the left? I seen only a Y invert but didn't find any options to flip them which sucks because I'm so not used to that, but I'm hoping there are other options I simply didn't find.

I wanted to do that as well....but I didn't see any options for it. I just forced myself to get good with Left stick.

btw, how do you access the single player mode? after tutorial it threw me into team deathmatch which I played for awhile. I didn't see an option for single player campaign.

i was just messing around realized, to find more options, you literally have to look down at an item to select it. so, at the start menu, look down to your right and you will see settings. then look at gameplay select that, then navigate all the way to the right to controller settings..and it will let you change whatever you I want. I flipped it to the right thumbstick and the roll to the left thumbstick

Lakuza

I put mine back in the box, still plugged in to the pc. I've basically cut a hole in the box for the cable to go through (its big enough so the cable is not crushed). This way i'm not curling the cable back up in the box either.

This way all I have to do is put it on to play (I use oculus tray tool to activate oculus service when i turn tray tool on, so the rift is always off when in the box). Takes me a couple of seconds to jump in without having to fiddle with the hdmi and usb at the back of my pc.

derbene

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the thread for this, but I ended up with getting a spare code for Lone Echo through a bundle I bought from a seller, and I had already purchased it myself from the store. Does anyone want it for $30? $10 bucks off?

Nice offer. What a pitty, I'm too late...

I store mine on my alabaster bust of Ludwig van Beethoven.

Nice one!

Still looking for a good storage solution. Right now I'm placing my HMD in the box it came in. But it would be nice to have a better and smaller solution for this. It's a bummer WidmoVR only offers a bag for the Touch Controllers (https://widmovr.com/product/controller-bag/). I really like the style of the bag - secondary issue: does anybody know if there is a way to get the illustration they use on the product an on their website as a desktop-wallpaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom