• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Yasae

Banned
plagiarize said:
and they did five years ago.

and people, this is GAF. i am allowed to talk to anyone who posts on here the same way i talk to you. if he had come in and said 'hey guys, we've found a glitch that's causing performance issues and are working on getting it fixed' and left it there i'd have had no issues.

instead he came and made it out like i had ridiculously high expectations to expect a five year old game that ran on nine year old hardware to run better than GTA4 and Assassin's Creed on a modern PC.

he lost my respect the moment he threw that shit at me, and so i see no reason why i should treat him with more respect than i'd treat any GAFfer.
Good. Then you're not excused for acting like a fool.

I'm not defending his sloppy port, you just think I am. And 60 FPS may be a standard but in practice it's very rarely a reality.

stuminus3

Thread is reminding me I should have used the money to buy Fable on GFWL instead. Now there's an Xbox port you can set your watch by.

Yasae said:
And 60 FPS may be a standard but in practice it's very rarely a reality.
What? :lol

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
and people, this is GAF. i am allowed to talk to anyone who posts on here the same way i talk to you. if he had come in and said 'hey guys, we've found a glitch that's causing performance issues and are working on getting it fixed' and left it there i'd have had no issues.
Absolutely. There's no way heads should roll for this, the guy would have been ripped apart if he wasn't a dev, it shouldn't be any different.

bhlaab

To be fair though, if this game had been ported from the Xbox in 2005 this is pretty much how it would've been. Except maybe it would have been locked at 640x480.

Yasae said:
And 60 FPS may be a standard but in practice it's very rarely a reality.

Uhh, you'd be surprised.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Teknoman said:
I wonder why Munch runs at a really smooth framerate, albeit with crashes, while Stranger runs at around 20 or so (for me anyway) in game...

Well as the helmet guy said, JAW had nothing to do with Munch other then the achievements. :lol

bhlaab said:
To be fair though, if this game had been ported from the Xbox in 2005 this is pretty much how it would've been. Except maybe it would have been locked at 640x480.

Um, Psychonauts was ported to PC from Xbox in 2004/2005 and ran in full HD and better framerate.

Yasae said:
Good. Then you're not excused for acting like a fool.

I'm not defending his sloppy port, you just think I am. And 60 FPS may be a standard but in practice it's very rarely a reality.

wtf are you on about? That's just how PC games work. These guys don't seem to know that.

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of my FFXI avatar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
plagiarize said:
and people, this is GAF. i am allowed to talk to anyone who posts on here the same way i talk to you.

Yes, you are allowed and you should absolutely treat people equally. Don't pander to someone making such ridiculous, disingenuous, condescending statements in an attempt to damage control his shoddy unfinished product that we just paid for, just because he's a game developer.

Have some self-respect, people, or if you can't, at least keep your mouths shut so you don't make me embarrassed for my community.

Teknoman

Holepunch said:
Had the same problem. The game lies, Right Bumper is what switches perspectives.

I was probably one of the people that drove him away, but honestly releasing that shoddy of a port and thinking that was okay? Surprised people expect 60fps out of an Xbox game? Now he knows theres a standard and he'll just whip some poor programmers to optimize the game in mere days what they couldn't do in 6 months?

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. Extremely happy. But I just don't think it's feasible.

So its click right stick to change into FPS and press RB to switch back? Because right stick worked just fine to go into FPS.

Oh and I bought the box for Exodus, Munch and Stranger, since i've never had the chance to play any of those...and I think this is also Munch's first PC port as well, so if that can run at way over 60fps (according to fraps of course), Stranger should be able to as well.

Pai Pai Master said:
wtf are you on about? That's just how PC games work. These guys don't seem to know that.

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of my FFXI avatar.

Yeah but XI had to work across 3 different system types on the same servers, so thats understandable.

PS2 limitations. :lol

Backfoggen said:
Can't wait for the update that adds the HD assets from the PS3 version!

lol

Seriously. :lol What good will that do if we're not supposed to expect the game to even run in HD? I feel like such an idiot for buying into their BS and blind-buying it just because of the sale. Even at $7.49 it doesn't feel like much of a deal.

Backfoggen said:
Can't wait for the update that adds the HD assets from the PS3 version!

lol

With the way this game is coded and some of the art assets are made like the controller tutorial, I can't see how they're gonna do it let alone in a reasonable time frame.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
While being pissed is natural, lets calm down GAF and give'em a little time. Mistakes happen, at least they are talking to us, most studios wont even do that.

dream

Crunched said:
You have every right to be upset. "HD and 60 fps was never a target" is just astoundingly ludicrous. It's like they're trolling us.

"We thought it was pretty good, but you guys have SUCH RIDICULOUSLY CAPSLOCKED EXPECTATIONS that I don't know what to tell you."

Reading this thread, I kind of get the feeling JAW thinks they're doing us a favor by porting Stranger's Wrath to the PC.

No, you hacks, we're doing you a favor by spending money on your half-assed broken ports that could go to more deserving games.

I mean, shit:

There was no commitments to HD modes or 60fps BUT saying that we have played it on various machines at 40fps at 1280x900 etc. Whilst this MAY not be ideal for some of you, it's certainly a lot better than the original Xbox version at 640x480 locked at 30fps.

That's almost Derek Smart levels of thinly-veiled contempt.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I see now that these guys did Gravity Crash on PSN, so that alleviates my worries a bit. They know how to make a solid product on PS3 at least :p

Visualante said:
I think I'll probably wait for the character model update- though I kind of feel like they've gone overkill with it in the sense that the character will look out of place in the environment. Perhaps adding an option to turn that on or off in the menus would be best. I'm assuming that there won't be updates to the environment, too. To bring that in line with the production quality of the Stranger sculpt.
From the screenshots of the PSN version I've seen, *everything* is updated. Characters and world looks completely upgraded due to new textures, shaders, lighting. Now of course, there's a question if they'll be bringing all of that to PC version.

In that case I wonder why they even bothered with the PC port. They probably would have saved a lot of face by releasing it on a console that they're, well, "used to."

Incoming 20-40 fps PS3 port, though, since that's totally acceptable for console games. :lol

Easy_D said:
Like others have said. I fail to see the difference from this and Meat Boy's launch and I remain confident that the issues will be resolved.
.!

Meat boy performed worse than Crysis on systems where the game was bug free? First I heard.

scitek

Honestly, if they can't get it up to 60fps, put an option in there to cap it at 30. I prefer that to an in-between 30 and 60 framerate, personally.

Teknoman said:
So another team handled the Munch port for the majority of it's dev time?

Apparently that other team spent 18 months on Munch and JAW only had 6 on Stranger's Wrath.

Was Stranger's Wrath pulled from a different dev in the past year and handed to JAW instead?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
GoldenHelmet said:
I'm done here guys, I'm just trying to talk to you like an adult and ask for opinion and suggestion, and offer something back.

I'm NOT trying to piss you off, I'm NOT trying to make you look like children or treat you as such.

Good luck and take care.
Do you want to know something? I have read through this thread and the frankly mystifying comments you have made in regards to your companies port of Stranger Wrath. After doing so, I realised that I had a better experience with a dev when I had an issue with the demo of All Aspect Warfare.

For anyone who doesn't know, that dev in question was Derek Smart. Even he found a better explanation for low FPS on decent hardware than "well 20-40FPS on consoles is fine". Really now?

Seriously, I bought the Oddboxx because I am a fan of the Oddworld series and have all of the games on various platforms already, but I liked the idea of having them all on Steam, this is frankly a slap in the face of the guys at Oddworld Inhabitants who entrusted you guys with the job of getting this package ported to PC.

Not even withstanding the lack of the (initially) promised HD re-makes of Odyssey and Exodus, this has to be one of the worst and laziest rush jobs I have ever experienced in my life. As I stands I will not even install these games until I am sure that at least something has been done to hide the obvious evidence of the console roots of the games and there is at least some semblance of optimisation for modern hardware.

If in all honesty, you expected any other sort of reaction to the release here, especially after posting how you have to people here, you really need to look at this from other than your position and from the consumers. Would you be happy if you bought a game from another dev which didn't live up to even the most basic of expectations? After all, this wasn't anything other than a code port, the content was already there.

I am honestly at a loss here, the Oddboxx was mentioned as being in development in 2009, unless if you guys got the project very late on, what the hell is the excuse for taking a year to perform a code port only to do it so badly?

Before you ask, yes I am angry, but that's because I am a fan of the series and I honestly feel that this is going to put off so many newer players off Oddworld forever, which is a shame as the series has so much more to give. At this rate though, I wouldn't be shocked if the announcement of a new Oddworld title meets less enthusiam thanks to this release. Please, just get this sorted ASAP, and remember that we're you're customers, and we're always right, even when you don't think we are.

dream

Shit, someone else invoked the name of Derek Smart.

I guess that sums up just what a disaster Oddboxx turned out to be.

Seagoon

I think those who purchased the game (wow I dodged that bullet) - should be offered a refund. I can't actually begin to imagine how this got through quality assurance no matter how relaxed / rushed.

Do we get a picture on the screen? Yes
Does the controller do .... something? Yes
Does the game make a sound? Yes

Game done, good work team!

I do find the MS Paint controller layouts somewhat charming though :lol

dream said:
Shit, someone else invoked the name of Derek Smart.

I guess that sums up just what a disaster Oddboxx turned out to be.

He's no Dyack, I'll give him that.

Makes me wish we had Yoichi Wada over here trying to explain himself during FFXIV meltdowns though.

Psy-Phi

Playing Stranger's Wrath in 1280x720 on High Settings offers me 60FPS most of the time. I'm stoked to be playing it again. It's a port of an Xbox game and there's got to be a reason it woudlnt work on the 360 BC, I think we're seeing why on PC's now. This isn't a recoding of the game, it's a port of it right? So it's fine to me. I don't know what people were expecting.

In regards to Psychonauts, that game was built for PC as well as the Xbox/PS2, it had middleware involved of some kind. I don't think Stranger's Wrath had the same luxury.

I'll try Munch later tonight but I bought the Oddbox primarily for SW and am not disappointed.

Teknoman

Psy-Phi said:
Playing Stranger's Wrath in 1280x720 on High Settings offers me 60FPS most of the time. I'm stoked to be playing it again. It's a port of an Xbox game and there's got to be a reason it woudlnt work on the 360 BC, I think we're seeing why on PC's now. This isn't a recoding of the game, it's a port of it right? So it's fine to me. I don't know what people were expecting.

In regards to Psychonauts, that game was built for PC as well as the Xbox/PS2, it had middleware involved of some kind. I don't think Stranger's Wrath had the same luxury.

I'll try Munch later tonight but I bought the Oddbox primarily for SW and am not disappointed.

What are your PC specs?

GoldenHelmet said:
With the GREATEST of respects, you say "has anyone here been able to run the game as intended".

There was no commitments to HD modes or 60fps BUT saying that we have played it on various machines at 40fps at 1280x900 etc. Whilst this MAY not be ideal for some of you, it's certainly a lot better than the original Xbox version at 640x480 locked at 30fps.

I, what, I just. Have you ever even played a PC game in your lifetime?

How can you believe that an Xbox game running at anything less than a perfect 60fps at pitifully low resolutions like 1280x1024 at anything other than a perfect 60fps on hardware between 100x-200x as fast as anything is even approaching acceptable?

I mean, honestly you're breaking records here in terms of the least optimised game on the entire PC platform. I can run games of a similar complexity at 1080p with 2x2 supersampling + 16xaf + 4xmsaa at a completely perfect 60fps. Yet your game running at an order of magnitude easier quality settings and getting less than half the performance is acceptable to you? Wtf? How the fuck do you get an Xbox game to run worse than Crysis? Like, seriously, how in the hell does that even work?

If you wanted to make a name for your company then you've just gone and done it.

This just confirmed everything I've suspected so far. Shit's always going to be terrible, the game is forever fucked.

GoldenHelmet said:
Just to Clarify ...

I certainly wasn't attacking anyone with my last post, re: HD etc. I was just asking a question.

As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that, I do NOT (personally) need to see the game running at 60+ fps to be made happy, the GAME is everything do me.

xx

How the hell did you ever convince someone to let your studio take control of a PC game? With that kind of attitude and ignorance? I mean, we've seen consolites banned for a whole lot less on GAF. Your sales pitch sure as hell must be better than your PR and your understanding of your target market.

Azar

brain_stew said:
I, what, I just. Have you ever even played a PC game in your lifetime?

How can you believe that an Xbox game running at anything less than a perfect 60fps at pitifully low resolutions like 1280x1024 at anything other than a perfect 60fps on hardware between 100x-200x as fast as anything is even approaching acceptable?

I mean, honestly you're breaking records here in terms of the least optimised game on the entire PC platform. I can run games of a similar complexity at 1080p with 2x2 supersampling + 16xaf + 4xmsaa at a completely perfect 60fps. Yet your game running at an order of magnitude easier quality settings and getting less than half the performance is acceptable to you? Wtf? How the fuck do you get an Xbox game to run worse than Crysis? Like, seriously, how in the hell does that even work?

If you wanted to make a name for your company then you've just gone and done it.

This just confirmed everything I've suspected so far. Shit's always going to be terrible, the game is forever fucked.

How the hell did you ever convince someone to let your studio take control of a PC game? With that kind of attitude and ignorance? I mean, we've seen consolites banned for a whole lot less on GAF. Your sales pitch sure as hell must be better than your PR and your understanding of your target market.
I think you're just preaching to yourself at this point. :lol He already left.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
brain_stew said:
Meat boy performed worse than Crysis on systems where the game was bug free? First I heard.
Looking at it now it was a stupid comparison, I am aware.

I was just trying to compare the fact that SMB guys were having some struggles with their PC launch as well. They also listened to the fans and worked out solutions in pretty much no time at all.

But yes, SMB launch was nowhere as bad as this. But I'm willing to give them a chance to patch the game up. If they don't? Well let's just say I'll be very very sad :(

Teknoman said:
Just tried Stranger on Ultra/windowed. Ran at 10fps the majority of the time, but the menus ran at 40.

And you can run Final Fantasy XIV. How shockingly bad is this port? :lol

Easy_D said:

I was just trying to compare the fact that SMB guys were having some struggles with their PC launch as well. They also listened to the fans and worked out solutions in pretty much no time at all.

But yes, SMB launch was nowhere as bad as this. But I'm willing to give them a chance to patch the game up. If they don't? Well let's just say I'll be very very sad :(

I wish I had your optimism but just look at his response to what I said. Their CEO doesn't even have a fundamental understanding of how a PC game is supposed to run and he thinks he can just "beat his programmers" to get it done. These guys were never intending to deliver us a real PC experience, just a barebones, mid-res 20-40 FPS shit port.

Red

Easy_D said:

The difference is, if GoldenHelmet is representative of JAW, these guys seem to not give a shit about customer expectations. He's very begrudgingly admitted the game has any faults at all. It's all so hilariously inept :lol

It's like watching kids make excuses for their work in a freshman creative writing course. "Oh, you just don't understand!"

Teknoman

stuminus3 said:
Yeah, he had enough of being subjected to the wrath of all us strangers.

Pai Pai Master said:

Heh even XIV knocked off it's FPS cap.

On the bright side, I can see that Stranger is an awesome game. Even the little tutorial dialog is weird in a good way. His voice just make the "I gotta get on that ledge. It's time to jump" work nicely :lol

Teknoman said:
On the bright side, I can see that Stranger is an awesome game. Even the little tutorial dialog is weird in a good way. His voice just make the "I gotta get on that ledge. It's time to jump" work nicely :lol

It is an awesome, awesome, game. Tragic that it's not gonna get the treatment it deserves.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Pai Pai Master said:

I wish I had your optimism but just look at his response to what I said. Their CEO doesn't even have a fundamental understanding of how a PC game is supposed to run and he thinks he can just "beat his programmers" to get it done. These guys were never intending to deliver us a real PC experience, just a barebones, mid-res 20-40 FPS shit port.
Their CEO is "just" a CEO, the actual dev team couldhave a different opinion.
And I wouldn't call it optimism. It's more hope than anything to be honest :lol. So far they haven't inspired any optimism in me! So all I can do is hope.

GoldenHelmet said:
Just to Clarify ...

I certainly wasn't attacking anyone with my last post, re: HD etc. I was just asking a question.

As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that, I do NOT (personally) need to see the game running at 60+ fps to be made happy, the GAME is everything do me.

Where the problem lies is *I* didn't actually think PC gamers were ninjas at wanting the highest FPS NO MATTER WHAT!

So from my point of view, I'm sorry, my bad. FYI I'm the CEO of JAW not a programmer, I will now move to beat our programmers to make sure they fix the issue.

Saying that I do believe there is actually "glitch" causing the slow down, what I'm seeing is that machines with higher specs should be running quicker, but for some reason the speed is simply NOT coming through, THAT IS A PROBLEM, and is likely one that can be resolved.

So please bear with us! :D thanks

xx

Let me get this straight, your company releases shoddy unoptomised ports of old console games, and you're blaming the upset customers who bought said shoddy product for having unrealistic expectations? Really?

This has to be the worst damage control I've personally witnessed on this forum since Dyack started losing his mind over the criticisms of Too Human.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Easy_D said:
Their CEO is just a CEO, the actual dev team might have a different opinion.
And I wouldn't call it optimism.

This. Happy to know they're working on patch. I'm just happy to play Stranger again.

Esperado

Is there anyone here with more knowledge on the Xbox? From what I know it's basically thrown together PC parts with a stripped windows based OS thrown on top and a graphics API that is basically DirectX. It seems incomprehensible that a port job could be this bad unless you have extremely incompetent programmers or extremely horrible coding practices in the original game.

Red

jaundicejuice said:
Let me get this straight, your company releases shoddy unoptomised ports of old console games, and you're blaming the upset customers who bought said shoddy product for having unrealistic expectations? Really?

This has to be the worst damage control I've personally witnessed on this forum since Dyack started losing his mind over the criticisms of Too Human.
Here is your turkey sandwich. If it looks flat, that's because we forgot the turkey. I'd go back to get it, but it doesn't look too bad to me. Yeah, sure, the bread's a little moldy, but you can eat around that.

Thanks, that'll be eight bucks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Can anyone take some screengrabs for me from the first two games in high resolution? I can't seem to find much on the net and would like to know how much updated everything looks!

Thanks

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Teetris said:
Can anyone take some screengrabs for me from the first two games in high resolution? I can't seem to find much on the net and would like to know how much updated everything looks!

Thanks
This is a joke post, right? Right? :lol. If not you have an interesting read ahead of you.

Edit: If it isn't. If you read the topic you'll understand why I assumed your post was a joke.

Edit #2: I misread your post horribly and thought you meant the Xbox ports. Great, now I look like a complete dick. :( Sorry man.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Teetris said:

Thanks
Nothing is updated in the first two games. I think they are running with either at 320x240 graphics or 640x480. I can't quite remember but I did play them originally on PC way back then, and even there when I would run them in 640x480 the games looked upscaled somehow. I assumed it was because they used the same assets as PS1 version which was probably 320x240.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Easy_D said:
This is a joke post, right? Right? :lol. If not you have an interesting read ahead of you.
Shit, I did think they would be straight ports but some screens made me believe they upped the res. For example you can see the first screen and the last three here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15700/

Some of these clearly look updated don't you think?

edit, it's even more clear in these Exoddus screens.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/15710/0000004887.1920x1080.jpg?t=1292476079
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/15710/0000004891.1920x1080.jpg?t=1292476079

Looks beautiful to me!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Teetris said:
Shit, I did think they would be straight ports but some screens made me believe they upped the res. For example you can see the first screen and the last three here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15700/

Some of these clearly look updated don't you think?
Yeah I was being an idiot, thought you were referring to the Xbox ports for some reason.

Anyway, I think that first shot is a still from an FMV, the rest of the shots look horrible though, looks a bit better in game. But yeah the original two titles haven't received any updates.

Edit: I'm going Huh at the Exoddus screens. Someone should explain them :eek:

Top Bottom