• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

bhlaab

GoldenHelmet said:
As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that.

Sounds like you're the perfect guy to be in charge of a PC port then.

V_Ben

Banned
McKeeverFever said:
You obviously didnt shell out your cash on it, id be calm and reasonable if I didn't shell out my hard earned cash on a blatant rushed hack job port.

He's been promising patches, and improvements, so surely that would at least offer some semblance of penance for what is certainly a poor port. And no, I haven't bought it yet. Mac user over here, hopefully I'll have a boot camp partition at some point...

Dascu

McKeeverFever said:
You obviously didnt shell out your cash on it, id be calm and reasonable if I didn't shell out my hard earned cash on a blatant rushed hack job port.
I did shell out my cash on it and I'm calm and reasonable. It's a terrible port, but it's not beyond salvation. I don't want a refund or anything like that, I simply want a patch that fixes these issues within a reasonable timeframe.

Darklord

Banned
McKeeverFever said:

As disappointed as I am with the game. It was $12. Hardly "hard earned cash" like you were slaving away for hours. Just leave it on steam and wait for the patches.

Dascu said:
I did shell out my cash on it and I'm calm and reasonable. It's a terrible port, but it's not beyond salvation. I don't want a refund or anything like that, I simply want a patch that fixes these issues within a reasonable timeframe.

Sure, but what's your definition of "fix"? Medium resolutions at 20-40fps or 1920x1080 at 60fps like a typical PC game?

Maffis

lol, We had practically direct influence on what to fix in the game, and some people decided to screw that chance to help :/ I would be pissed if the game was broken, but seeing as there was a CEO talking to us directly in here, TELLING us to keep our hopes up by saying they're working nonstop, would take away that anger.

I'm out of money at the moment, but I will buy Wrath when it comes to PSN.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dascu said:
I second this. Exactly how I feel.

Teknoman

I wonder why Munch runs at a really smooth framerate, albeit with crashes, while Stranger runs at around 20 or so (for me anyway) in game...

Anyway, I got stuck at the part where you have the press the right stick in again to change back to third person:

14mcpwy.jpg

Oh and no one likes framerate caps on PC unless it's capped at 60. If you have the ability to run the game at a higher framerate, most PC gamers want to do so.

EDIT: And yeah, some of the reaction posts could've been better thought out. Suggest fixes and post problems as well, dont just throw rocks at the guy.

Dascu

Pai Pai Master said:
Sure, but what's your definition of "fix"? Medium resolutions at 20-40fps or 1920x1080 at 60fps like a typical PC game?
The latter is preferable, but I can understand if due to the nature of the port, it might be impossible without redoing the entire thing. However, they also promised that PSN asset update down the line, which would probably require a lot of work as well.

My suggestion would be for a quick patch that brings it to a decent resolution with solid, playable framerates, with the promise of a full revision later on to make it a great PC version.

vazel

Banned
Teknoman said:
I wonder why Munch runs at a really smooth framerate, albeit with crashes, while Stranger runs at around 20 or so (for me anyway) in game...

Anyway, I got stuck at the part where you have the press the right stick in again to change back to third person:

[IMG*]http://i53.tinypic.com/14mcpwy.jpg[/IMG]

Oh and no one likes framerate caps on PC unless it's capped at 60. If you have the ability to run the game at a higher framerate, most PC gamers want to do so.

EDIT: And yeah, some of the reaction posts could've been better thought out. Suggest fixes and post problems as well, dont just throw rocks at the guy.
It's been established in this thread that the Munch port job was done by a different company. JAW only added achievements.
The Friendly Monster said:
Wow, way to be complete pricks guys. Don't be surprised when devs don't communicate with you directly.
I was half expecting a graveyard in this thread. But on the one hand the guy didn't seem to understand the demographic he was porting these games for(PC gamers). I'm not sure what JAW as a company normally does.

Yasae

Banned
McKeeverFever said:
That still doesn't excuse the poor behavior here. In fact, nothing can excuse that.

kamspy

Wow, way to be complete pricks guys. Don't be surprised when devs don't communicate with you directly.

This isn't the kind of thing that slips through testing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maffis said:
lol, We had practically direct influence on what to fix in the game, and some people decided to screw that chance to help :/

Give me a break. He's just running extreme damage control. They weren't aware of any problems with the port? How about running it on a computer before releasing it on steam? 20 fps is the norm on consoles so it's all good? No, this is an xbox 1 game running at 20fps on a core i7 and 5870. That qualifies as one of the shoddiest video game ports of all time.

lupinko

Pai Pai Master said:
It's probably set to go down in history as one of the most notoriously awful ports we've ever seen. :lol

I'm sure it'll be fixed but I'm not expecting a real PC port like I had expected and it's clear the game should not have been sold as yet. $7.49 was the sale price for just Stranger's Wrath but I definitely would not recommend anyone pay any more than that.

Well I bought the bundle for $12, I hope Munch and the two Abe games play better. >_<

I have the two Abe games already on PSN. :lol

Ultimately, the onus to deliver a complete, satisfying product is up to the developer. If a new game were similarly unfinished and the developer weren't posting here, people would feel no problem trashing incomplete work.

That damage control is being done so badly, though perhaps not intentionally so, doesn't really mitigate that.

Yasae

Banned
kamspy said:
This isn't the kind of things that slips through testing.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. Notice the CEO didn't have any. He just said your expectations of 60 FPS NOW!!!!!!!!!! are ridiculous, and they kind of are.

Spiegel

Teknoman said:

http://i53.tinypic.com/14mcpwy.jpg[IMG]

EDIT: And yeah, some of the reaction posts could've been better thought out. Suggest fixes and post problems as well, dont just throw rocks at the guy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does not work clicking the right stick. Push RB/R1

vazel said:
I was half expecting a graveyard in this thread. But on the one hand the guy didn't seem to understand the demographic he was porting these games for(PC gamers). I'm not sure what JAW as a company normally does.

I dont think necessarily it was aimed at PC Gamers, I personally hate playing games on a PC actually this was one of the first PC games ive gotten in years I bought it purely because of my love for the Oddworld series. All I want is it to be playable I dont expect improvements but I certainly dont expect it to be downgraded from the original.

Yasae said:
That still doesn't excuse the poor behavior here. In fact, nothing can excuse that.
yeah. when the CEO came in and started calling people names that was pretty poor behavior.

oh wait... you're talking about our behavior? go figure.

vazel said:
And on the other hand people were being really rude. It is possible to complain without laughing at someone. Don't bitch about PR speak when you tear someone to pieces who comes on here and talks like a human.

I do think the ports are disappointing though, but Stranger's is playable for me.

Waiting for patches is reasonable as I'm sure many people were planning on waiting for the PSN asset update in the first place to start playing Wrath, but that doesn't really excuse the fact that the game should not have been sold in its current state, even at the reduced price.

Sticking around in the thread to take feedback and stuff is certainly much appreciated and a smart thing to do if you want to give the people who bought the game what they want...however statements like "I'm a console gamer, and 20-40fps on console games is fine so it should be for this" and "How was I to know PC gamers were ninjas who expected 60fps?" kinda shows that they're a little out of touch with the people they're selling to.

Some rude shit went down and it was smart of goldenhelmet to back out while the ragesauce is boiling. Hopefully they take that to heart though and set out to fix the game they sold us.

Team Vernia said:
This thread is NeoGAF Hall of Fame material.

True dat.

I think both sides should've been a little more understanding. It was poor choice of words on both parties.

Saying everything was okay with mediocre results during development wasn't the best answer for your customers and telling the CEO the game sucks and that they stole your money doesn't help either.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There is an old android saying that reminds me quite a bit of this situation. "Hell hath no fury like a PC-Gaf scorned"

stuminus3

This is GAF, us regular joes enjoy a good chinwag with developers all the time.

I can't recall any time recently when a dev around here or anywhere else outright treated me like such an imbecile after taking my money, though.

I'm usually really laid back with this sort of thing, too. I normally wouldn't have thought any more about it. I know how this usually goes, especially with small/indie devs.

bhlaab

Why? If they did a good port they'd be getting praise and certainly he'd be up for communicating about that.

You want to talk about entitled, what about developers? They're not magical, we don't have to say "You did a good job JAW, a good job!" like we're going to get sent to the cornfield. The only reason people are flinging shit is because it was put in front of them.

I suspect some of the frustration has to do with this model of staggering your release across various tiers of quality. If I want to make a long-awaited return to Stranger's Wrath, I want that experience to be of acceptable quality the first time I play it, which once upon a time was when I bought it. Now you're just as likely to buy beta, even alpha code with bonus promises of ongoing development. How many times are we expected to play this game, exactly? Is this a purchase or a pre-order?

scitek

Dascu said:
The latter is preferable, but I can understand if due to the nature of the port, it might be impossible without redoing the entire thing. However, they also promised that PSN asset update down the line, which would probably require a lot of work as well.

My suggestion would be for a quick patch that brings it to a decent resolution with solid, playable framerates, with the promise of a full revision later on to make it a great PC version.

This is what I'm hoping for. I don't know how many people work at Just Add Water, but this is clearly an overwhelming issue for them and it could very easily be big enough to sidetrack the development of the PS3/future PC version. I just want to be able to play the damn thing without the water glitching out everywhere and the framerate being in the tank.

I'm miffed at the ports too, but the only thing that can be done about it at this point is to hopefully have them fixed. Really, as much as I'd like to help with the dogpile, hurling insults and whatnot at JAW won't help anything. They've already done enough damage with these issues to cause gamers everywhere to be less likely to part with their money the next time they see their name on a product.

Yasae

Banned
plagiarize said:
yeah. when the CEO came in and started calling people names that was pretty poor behavior.

oh wait... you're talking about our behavior? go figure.
I'm talking about the behavior which was many, many magnitudes worse, yes. Is that really so difficult to understand?

Parham

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:
I'm done here guys, I'm just trying to talk to you like an adult and ask for opinion and suggestion, and offer something back.

I'm NOT trying to piss you off, I'm NOT trying to make you look like children or treat you as such.

Good luck and take care.
We appreciate your willingness to communicate with us. However, we do not appreciate you discrediting some of our grievances. Being that this is a port of a five year old Xbox game, we, at the very least, expect for the game to include some basic features found in almost every PC game, like widescreen support and the ability to use the mouse in the front end menu. Furthermore, given how old the game is, we would hope to at least run this game at a steady 30 FPS, if not 60+. At the moment, machines capable of playing Crysis cannot run Stranger's Wrath without the game looking like a slideshow. Everything from the lack of proper user customization to the Microsoft Paint controller configuration, tells us that this port was rushed for the holiday season. Again, we are glad you have ported the game to the PC. Many of us, myself included, have been waiting years to play this game. We just wish you had given the port a little more thought.

ShockingAlberto said:
Ultimately, the onus to deliver a complete, satisfying product is up to the developer. If a new game were similarly unfinished and the developer weren't posting here, people would feel no problem trashing incomplete work.

That damage control is being done so badly, though perhaps not intentionally so, doesn't really mitigate that.
I don't think the complaints are unwarranted. But posters were just laughing at everything he said. It is not sociable behaviour in any way, and isn't going to help.

Teknoman

McKeeverFever said:
I dont think necessarily it was aimed at PC Gamers, I personally hate playing games on a PC actually this was one of the first PC games ive gotten in years I bought it purely because of my love for the Oddworld series. All I want is it to be playable I dont expect improvements but I certainly dont expect it to be downgraded from the original.

I wouldnt say that. People just expect PC games developed/ported today to take advantage of their config to at least deliver a smooth uncapped framerate.

Psychonauts and even Sonic Heroes/Adventure DX werent designed with PC gamers in mind...but they still perform at a stable framerate with capable PCs.

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst is probably a different story I guess, but im sure theres a reason that was capped, but even that had custom resolutions to set.

People just want:

• Custom Resolutions
  • Stable performance (really Stranger should be able to perform as smooth as Munch, minus crashes)
  • Config screen change in Stranger (minor, but it does look MSpaintish)
  • Eventual upgrade of the PC Stranger's Wrath to whatever the PS3 version gets
  • Control fixes/stabilization for both Munch and Stranger

I'm sure Odyssey and Exodus wont be touched, but they both seem ok for now.

kamspy

Yasae said:
Excuses, excuses, excuses. Notice the CEO didn't have any. He just said your expectations of 60 FPS NOW!!!!!!!!!! are ridiculous, and they kind of are.

60fps isn't a feature on PC. It's a standard.

Dascu

Teknoman said:
I wouldnt say that. People just expect PC games developed/ported today to take advantage of their config to at least deliver a smooth uncapped framerate.

Psychonauts and even Sonic Heroes/Adventure DX werent designed with PC gamers in mind...but they still perform at a stable framerate with capable PCs.

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst is probably a different story I guess, but im sure theres a reason that was capped, but even that had custom resolutions to set.

People just want:

• Custom Resolutions
  • Stable performance (really Stranger should be able to perform as smooth as Munch, minus crashes)
  • Config screen change in Stranger (minor, but it does look MSpaintish)
  • Eventual upgrade of the PC Stranger's Wrath to whatever the PS3 version gets
  • Control fixes/stabilization for both Munch and Stranger

I'm sure Odyssey and Exodus wont be touched, but they both seem ok for now.
Windowed mode would be nice.

bhlaab

Yasae said:

How is it ridiculous to expect a 2010 port of a 6 year old Xbox game to run smoothly on a machine 5 times as powerful?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
bhlaab said:
How is it ridiculous to expect a 6 year old port of an Xbox game to run smoothly on a machine 5 times as powerful?

More like 50 times as powerful.

Holepunch

Teknoman said:
Had the same problem. The game lies, Right Bumper is what switches perspectives.

I was probably one of the people that drove him away, but honestly releasing that shoddy of a port and thinking that was okay? Surprised people expect 60fps out of an Xbox game? Now he knows theres a standard and he'll just whip some poor programmers to optimize the game in mere days what they couldn't do in 6 months?

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. Extremely happy. But I just don't think it's feasible.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So Mr GoldenHelmet ain't coming back? Good riddance. Sub-30fps on a port of a last gen game is just embarrassing on top of the line hardware. No damage control can fix that, especially when Team Meat implemented a patch that fixed most of their problems within 24 hours of launch.

Holepunch said:
Had the same problem. The game lies, Right Bumper is what switches perspectives.

I was probably one of the people that drove him away, but honestly releasing that shoddy of a port and thinking that was okay? Surprised people expect 60fps out of an Xbox game? Now he knows theres a standard and he'll just whip some poor programmers to optimize the game in mere days what they couldn't do in 6 months?

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. Extremely happy. But I just don't think it's feasible.

That part irked me the most. Obviously he was just joking but does he have any idea the kind of work that needs to go in to bringing this port up to a modern standard? A guy as out of touch as him, I'm worried for the poor guys who were forced to actually do the work on such an obviously rushed schedule.

Teknoman said:

and they did five years ago.

and people, this is GAF. i am allowed to talk to anyone who posts on here the same way i talk to you. if he had come in and said 'hey guys, we've found a glitch that's causing performance issues and are working on getting it fixed' and left it there i'd have had no issues.

instead he came and made it out like i had ridiculously high expectations to expect a five year old game that ran on nine year old hardware to run better than GTA4 and Assassin's Creed on a modern PC.

he lost my respect the moment he threw that shit at me, and so i see no reason why i should treat him with more respect than i'd treat any GAFfer.

Red

plagiarize said:
and they did five years ago.

and people, this is GAF. i am allowed to talk to anyone who posts on here the same way i talk to you. if he had come in and said 'hey guys, we've found a glitch that's causing performance issues and are working on getting it fixed' and left it there i'd have had no issues.

instead he came and made it out like i had ridiculously high expectations to expect a five year old game that ran on nine year old hardware to run better than GTA4 and Assassin's Creed on a modern PC.

he lost my respect the moment he threw that shit at me, and so i see no reason why i should treat him with more respect than i'd treat any GAFfer.
You have every right to be upset. "HD and 60 fps was never a target" is just astoundingly ludicrous. It's like they're trolling us.

"We thought it was pretty good, but you guys have SUCH RIDICULOUSLY CAPSLOCKED EXPECTATIONS that I don't know what to tell you."

Top Bottom