• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Lord Error said:
All this makes me worried about PSN version too now. I hope a different group within the team is working on it. Have these guys released anything on PS3 so far?

That seems to be running at about 15 FPS from what I can tell.

15 FPS? Seriously? Slow clap man, slow clap.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Lord Error said:
All this makes me worried about PSN version too now. I hope a different group within the team is working on it. Have these guys released anything on PS3 so far?

That seems to be running at about 15 FPS from what I can tell.

Read the guy's description. The lag was in the encoder, not the game.

RE: Munch development, this was inherited from another developer. Those front-end issues are weird to us too... :\

Ola, nice game. I think I'll probably wait for the character model update- though I kind of feel like they've gone overkill with it in the sense that the character will look out of place in the environment. Perhaps adding an option to turn that on or off in the menus would be best. I'm assuming that there won't be updates to the environment, too. To bring that in line with the production quality of the Stranger sculpt.

Played through the tutorial, having frame rate issues on Windows 7 x64 on Ultra with an ATi 4850 and a Q6600 CPU. Will wait for an update to continue, it's playable though.

Some of the dialogue is pure cheese, but it's kind of growing on me

Found another couple of bugs, looks liek scitek and I are having similar issues. I'm not getting the exact same allpha masking thing that you got on the foliage but the power/telephone cables are transparent and the water is showing a blotchy grid over it. Can't do a screenshot unfortunately.

A small handful of us having issues would be perfectly understandable. The game not working on "new and beast rigs" would be a valid excuse.

Has anyone here been able to run the game as intended? In HD at 60fps+? What the hell happened here and how did it pass any internal testing if it's a royal clusterfuck on all our systems?

Pai Pai Master said:
A small handful of us having issues would be perfectly understandable. The game not working on "new and beast rigs" would be a valid excuse.

Has anyone here been able to run the game as intended? In HD at 60fps+? What the hell happened here and how did it pass any internal testing if it's a royal clusterfuck on all our systems?

Munch's Odyssey was ok for me this morning but I have no clue what FPS it was. I'm going to try stranger's wrath in a few minutes.

boutrosinit said:
Read the guy's description. The lag was in the encoder, not the game.

RE: Munch development, this was inherited from another developer. Those front-end issues are weird to us too... :\

Is it a straight port of the Xbox version? If not, why is the Xbox dash mentioned in the menu?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I recently installed Fable 1 and now that is how you do a goddamn Xbox 1 port.

1080p, properly scaled hud, runs perfect, and never drops below 60 fps even with super-sampling cranked.

scitek

LovingSteam said:
Is it a straight port of the Xbox version? If not, why is the Xbox dash mentioned in the menu?

I'd say it is. I'm getting 60fps in it without changing anything, though. Anyway, looking at the files, the default.xbe is still there, which I know is basically the Xbox's executable format.

This is for Munch, btw.

defaultxbehmq8.jpg

Who did the Munch port? Sounds like you guys were given shit to work with and not enough time to turn it into something. But who agreed to release the product if you've got stuff like that in Munch, where there are issues that are "weird" to you guys?

This is all pretty crazy but I hope it works out eventually, as these are two games that definitely deserve solid ports.

Teknoman

I was going to wait and play Munch and Stranger after beating the first two Oddworld games, but now I guess I better check my performance too.

JRW

Pikelet said:
I knew there had to be a catch.

The 50% off deal was clearly designed to get as much people to buy it before the technical issues became known. I feel swindled, and frankly, pissed off. I will think long and hard before i ever buy another game from you.

I think you may be right here...

It looks like a minimal amount of effort went into getting these games running on PC.

In an earlier post I said Strangers wrath ran pretty good for me but now that ive played it more It really doesnt run that well overall and the 360 controller support is pretty buggy.

A lot of times I cant move and can only spin around in place, the only way to fix it is to press jump, then everything is fine for a random amount of time before I become stuck in place again.

Ugh.

Teknoman

I didnt get a patch for Munch or anything, but I see no Xbox Dashboard option:

4glmcp.jpg

EDIT: :lol Munch sounds like that baby duck on Tom & Jerry

Dascu

Godspeed to you guys, JustAddWater. The Horde is furious and demands satisfaction for this perceived injustice.

Teknoman said:
The plot thickens.

Darklord

Banned
Where is the config file for Munch so you can change the resolution to a custom one?

Edit: ...............................the arrow keys for moving? Really? The space bar for action? REALLY? Is this fucking 1996? I can see why people are annoyed now.

BUT SERIOUSLY ARROW KEYS? UGH!

scitek

Teknoman said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/4glmcp.jpg

Same here. I have no issues with Munch aside from not being able to do anything but turn with the left analog stick. I can play the game with the keyboard and mouse fine from what I can tell and it runs at 60fps. I'd like to know how to set custom resolutions in it, too, though.

Darklord said:
Edit: ...............................the arrow keys for moving? Really? The space bar for action? REALLY? Is this fucking 1996? I can see why people are annoyed now.

BUT SERIOUSLY ARROW KEYS? UGH!

Yeah, this needs to be changed.

Teknoman

315coz7.jpg

Yeah default 360 pad seem to work ok, but i'd like to be able to set the 3d games at least at 1440x900. It displays full screen for me, but i'm sure its not at that res.

Dont really have problems with Odyssey and Exodus, but fixing those up with some sort of increased res options would've been nice :D

EDIT: Left analog works fine navigating menus.

Red

Teknoman said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/4glmcp.jpg[IMG]

EDIT: :lol Munch sounds like that baby duck on Tom & Jerry[/QUOTE]
But you still have a big glowing "A" button prompt. Unless that is indicating proper controller support.

Rothgil

Neo Member
I got that Xbox Dash thing from around the time the game went up on steam. After the patch last night it hasn't come up again

Pai Pai Master said:

With the GREATEST of respects, you say "has anyone here been able to run the game as intended".

There was no commitments to HD modes or 60fps BUT saying that we have played it on various machines at 40fps at 1280x900 etc. Whilst this MAY not be ideal for some of you, it's certainly a lot better than the original Xbox version at 640x480 locked at 30fps.

Now, going beyond that we have found issues with ATI cards that have "Catalyst A.I." enabled under Advanced settings in the ATI control panel.

Quite why it's doing this we don't know yet, but if you disable that mode corruption will go.

Guys, we are totally distraught by the reactions, please don't perform a Witch Hunt, we are trying to fix these issues as soon as we can, so in the meantime, please hang in there.

The MORE information you guys can provide us with the quicker we will get this fixed!

Please send all Stranger issues to us via info AT jawltd.com

Thanks everyone!

Stewart Gilray
CEO - Just Add Water (Developments) Ltd.

poweld

Crunched said:
But you still have a big glowing "A" button prompt. Unless that is indicating proper controller support.
My front end looks the same way. Yes, the controller support is fine in the menus, so the "A" isn't weird. What is weird is that the controller support in-game is totally borked.

Teknoman

Munch runs too damn fast for me. 600+FPS according to fraps, im having the "only can turn with left analog" problem as well, so im stuck with the controller. Abe animates way too fast as well as the torches and stuff.

Im guessing its proper controller support for the 360 pad, since each button actually works as intended without messing with the config...in the menu anyway.

Pai Pai Master said:
Who did the Munch port? Sounds like you guys were given shit to work with and not enough time to turn it into something. But who agreed to release the product if you've got stuff like that in Munch, where there are issues that are "weird" to you guys?

This is all pretty crazy but I hope it works out eventually, as these are two games that definitely deserve solid ports.

The previous Munch developers spent 18 Months on it, but I didn't say that.

Dascu said:
Godspeed to you guys, JustAddWater. The Horde is furious and demands satisfaction for this perceived injustice.

The plot thickens.

The Dashboard reference in Munch is actually the string label, IE...

xboxdashboardquit="Quit to Windows"

For some reason when Munch starts it opens the language file, if it CAN'T open the language file it just displays the string labels throughout. :(

Darklord

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:
With the GREATEST of respects, you say "has anyone here been able to run the game as intended".

There was no commitments to HD modes or 60fps BUT saying that we have played it on various machines at 40fps at 1280x900 etc. Whilst this MAY not be ideal for some of you, it's certainly a lot better than the original Xbox version at 640x480 locked at 30fps.

Now, going beyond that we have found issues with ATI cards that have "Catalyst A.I." enabled under Advanced settings in the ATI control panel.

Quite why it's doing this we don't know yet, but if you disable that mode corruption will go.

Guys, we are totally distraught by the reactions, please don't perform a Witch Hunt, we are trying to fix these issues as soon as we can, so in the meantime, please hang in there.

The MORE information you guys can provide us with the quicker we will get this fixed!

Thanks everyone!

Stewart Gilray

Gamers are angry beasts. Scold them and they will roar with the force of a thousand dragons. The only way to calm the creature is to fix the wound. You will get beaten and battered as you try to fix it on the wild beast but in the end it will settle.

Teknoman

GoldenHelmet said:

Thanks everyone!

Stewart Gilray

Gotcha, will do.

My apologies. The performance issues are frustrating but if you guys never actually promised native support for HD resolutions or performance around 60fps then that's not really your fault.

benjipwns

Banned
GoldenHelmet said:

I think this is going to get an even worse reaction than the prior statements.

Darklord

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
My apologies. The performance issues are frustrating but if you guys never actually promised native support for HD resolutions or performance around 60fps then that's not really your fault.

To be honest it's expected in this time of shitloads of remakes and re-releases.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
GoldenHelmet said:

Ohh come on, You didn't just go there for a extremely old xbox game. When you release such an old game for PC most sane PC users ATLEAST expect 60FPS.

I'm sure you have enough people bashing you but you guys obviously weren't ready to port games to the PC.

Sure, it's expected. When following this release I just assumed it was going to be a "HD remake" in the essence of the PS3 ports and stuff like Beyond Good and Evil HD, and it's not crazy to expect a port of an Xbox game to be able to run on a modern PC at 1920x1080 at like 60fps or something. PC versions of stuff like Psychonauts, BG&E and Splinter Cell are certainly capable of it.

However if they didn't ever market the game in that sense, if their objective was to simply port the game to be playable on the PC, which it certainly hadn't before now, then it's not like they misled us. I can't be bothered to look up whatever PR wording is out there, but I definitely apologize for jumping on the devs' backs about it.

That said, it's still not a great port and support for resolutions and framerates that practically every PC gamer expects these days would be nice, but I look forward to the fixes that will help it run at least a little smoother.

I'd be fine with 30fps at 1280x720. That's what I'd consider the bare minimum these days, and that's shooting very low.

I bought the box, I'll check it out again in a few weeks after patches. Advising my friends to hold off.

wwm0nkey

Lord Error said:
Well with the PS3 its a universal machine, so when it runs good at their office it will run good on everyone's PS3

Spiegel

I just don't understand why basic things, like 360 controller support in Munch's Oddysee, haven't been properly tested before releasing the game.

Teknoman

When you say under info, you mean contact us?

Also when running Strangers Wrath, I tried to set "Ultra resolution" but keep getting display failed.

AMD Phenom II X4 955
4GB ram
Radeon 4870 1GB

Spiegel said:
I just don't understand why, for example, basic things like 360 controller support in Munch's Oddysee haven't been properly tested before releasing the game.

Apparently, if you set the game to always run, it fixes the analog stick issue. Other than that, all the buttons work as they should.

poweld

Of course some of the reactions here are overblown. However...

As a developer myself, I would feel pretty ashamed by this product. I'm sure there were time pressures to get this out the door, but this really is an unfinished product. I'm speaking about both Munch (which was not ported by JAW, was it?) and to a lesser degree, Stranger.

I'd say Munch has more a more egregious problem, though much easier to fix (controls are broken). Stranger does work, but not very well. I'm speaking for those that aren't experiencing crashes, just severe slowdown. I say this because if played in the low default resolution the game seemed playable.

Granted, I did come into this expecting to be able to play in higher resolutions, but GoldenHead is right - this should not necessarily be expected. However you will not impress your user base if you tell them that what they expected is beyond the norm when most of the competition (other ports) can meet those expectations.

I also realize that solving the HD resolution problems with Stranger will be difficult. I hope you do solve it, however, because A) I really want to play Stranger in HD and B) I will have to seriously consider purchasing future JAW products.

You know, this reminds me a good deal of Stardock's release of Demigod. I was so excited to play the game, but it was fundamentally broken (much more serious, since it was an online-focused game and the matchmaking was a mess). Yes, it was playable, but hardly in the manner I'd expected when I purchased it. By the time Stardock released a supposedly stable patch for the game, months had passed as had my interest in the game. I have not considered another Stardock purchase since.

This isn't meant as a threat by any means, I just hope that this all gets resolved and that people that already laid out their money will soon be happy with their purchase. I sincerely wish you the best of luck getting these issues resolved.

D

edit:
Pai Pai Master said:
Sure, it's expected. When following this release I just assumed it was going to be a "HD remake" in the essence of the PS3 ports and stuff like Beyond Good and Evil HD, and it's not crazy to expect a port of an Xbox game to be able to run on a modern PC at 1920x1080 at like 60fps or something. PC versions of stuff like Psychonauts, BG&E and Splinter Cell are certainly capable of it.

However if they didn't ever market the game in that sense, if their objective was to simply port the game to be playable on the PC, which it certainly hadn't before now, then it's not like they misled us. I can't be bothered to look up whatever PR wording is out there, but I definitely apologize for jumping on the devs' backs about it.

That said, it's still not a great port and support for resolutions and framerates that practically every PC gamer expects these days would be nice, but I look forward to the fixes that will help it run at least a little smoother.
My sentiments exactly.

benjipwns

Banned
Teknoman said:
When you say under info, you mean contact us?
I think it's an e-mail address replace " AT " with @
poweld said:
You know, this reminds me a good deal of Stardock's release of Demigod. I was so excited to play the game, but it was fundamentally broken (much more serious, since it was an online-focused game and the matchmaking was a mess). Yes, it was playable, but hardly in the manner I'd expected when I purchased it. By the time Stardock released a supposedly stable patch for the game, months had passed as had my interest in the game. I have not considered another Stardock purchase since.
Elemental hasn't helped them on that front.

Teknoman

benjipwns said:
I think it's an e-mail address replace " AT " with @

Oh, i'll give that a shot then. Also I guess the display failed is the Full Screen bug for Strangers Wrath people were speaking of.

Spiegel

Teknoman said:
Apparently, if you set the game to always run, it fixes the analog stick issue. Other than that, all the buttons work as they should.

Thanks, will try that.

Let's see how much time I can play before getting a crash. :/

EDIT

Yes, it works. Played 30 seconds and the game crashed :lol

Stallion Free said:
Man, I recently installed Fable 1 and now that is how you do a goddamn Xbox 1 port.

1080p, properly scaled hud, runs perfect, and never drops below 60 fps even with super-sampling cranked.
Though as a recent purchaser of Fable 1 PC I had a heck of a time getting a JoyToKey setup that nearly made it control like the original, and it still froze up on me too much to finish.

So is this the new industry standard, paying to be beta testers ? Id like to say I empathize with JAW but seriously releasing the game in this state did they really expect any positive feedback. I will be extremely sketchy when considering purchasing a JAW product in the future. Way to make an impact guys.

GoldenHelmet said:
i'm pretty astounded that this is the official response.

i don't know what else to say.

how should i expect a game ported from a console that came out nearly a decade ago to run? marginally better than it ran on that ten year old hardware you say?

that wouldn't be acceptable on an Xbox 360, let alone a PC.

i say that as one of the least self entitled PC gamers you could run into.

Teknoman said:
Oh, i'll give that a shot then. Also I guess the display failed is the Full Screen bug for Strangers Wrath people were speaking of.
Does your screen do 1920? If it doesn't I think that's why it says display failed. I'm assuming medium is 1280, high is 1650, and ultra is 1920 since my laptop would only do low and medium and get display error for high and ultra. Don't know for sure since I haven't been home to try on my 1080p screen.

Top Bottom