• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

It doesn't matter how cheap it is. If I was given the divine task of bringing one of the finest games ever made to an entirely new audience and gave them nothing but trouble instead, I'd fall on my crossbow (to be eaten by furry things).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Like others have said. I fail to see the difference from this and Meat Boy's launch and I remain confident that the issues will be resolved.

My "Hard earned money" (I'm a student with no job for crying out loud) don't feel wasted at all. I see it as a future investment.

Show some holiday spirit! Granted, people have a right to be annoyed but given the quick reaponse from the devs I don't feel a need to worry any more.

Edit: I probably sound like an apologist but fuck, the game is on Steam. If you have Steam chances are you already have a huge backlog. I know I have games from LAST years holiday sale that I have yet to finish so it's not like we don't have anything else to do. But yeah I was pissed and I'm still annoyed but I don't feel like being angry any more.
Though it's great that people are vocal, makes it easier for the devs and probably motivates them to fix shit up so more people can enjoy it, word of mouth is a powerful thing indeed and if the first thing people think when they hear "Oddbox" is "Horrible port that performs horrible on modern day PC's that crush the original Xbox in every way imaginable" that's a pretty big problem.

All I want is to play the damn game :(!

Moobabe

Well I've just downloaded a patch - time to try this bad boy out.

Well there's no patch notes on steam at all - full screen still doesn't work without the config.txt workaround - I guess I'll keep poking around to see if anything's changed.

I'm holding off playing SW untill the update lands next year, but I have a few questions about Munch.

Will we be able to adjust the resolution and will it support my xbox pad at some point?

Ledsen

So SW is completely borked? That's a shame, it was the only game I was interested in :( I'll wait for christmas 2011.

This is pretty unnacceptable. I've bought a lot of crap on Steam but I've never wanted a full refund before. Now I feel bad because I'm out 8 bucks and I helped fund this kind of development.

3rdman

Ledsen said:
So SW is completely borked? That's a shame, it was the only game I was interested in :( I'll wait for christmas 2011.
This for me too...I don't understand the thinking about "investing" in a game when by the time they resolve the issues, it'll be on sale again. As much as I want it, I don't see the point in supporting such a shoddy port.

Pikelet

I knew there had to be a catch.

The 50% off deal was clearly designed to get as much people to buy it before the technical issues became known. I feel swindled, and frankly, pissed off. I will think long and hard before i ever buy another game from you.

Maffis

I remember back in the GC-era that SW almost made me buy a Xbox for that game alone. But I don't really know much about the game. Is it 'open world'? Or is it divided into missions? Gonna google.

epmode

Easy_D said:
Like others have said. I fail to see the difference from this and Meat Boy's launch
SMB had compatibility issues for some but if the game worked (as it did for me), it ran perfectly.

I'm convinced that Stranger's Wrath runs horribly for anyone without a top of the line videocard. This isn't a case of the developer not having the resources to fully test the software across all possible hardware permutations, it's a rushed, VERY unoptimized port. It shouldn't have been released like this. Money's tight I guess.

At least it'll be patched. Until then, I hope you like beta testing!

Pikelet said:
The 50% off deal was clearly designed to get as much people to buy it before the technical issues became known. I feel swindled, and frankly, pissed off. I will think long and hard before i ever buy another game from you.
100% on point.

3rdman

Maffis said:
I remember back in the GC-era that SW almost made me buy a Xbox for that game alone. But I don't really know much about the game. Is it 'open world'? Or is it divided into missions? Gonna google.
It's been a while since I played through it but I remember as a pretty standard FPS with some really neat and innovative weapons and story. Well worth playing but perhaps a little over-rated because of its exclusivity.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
epmode said:
SMB had compatibility issues for some but if the game worked (as it did for me), it ran perfectly.

I'm convinced that Stranger's Wrath runs horribly for anyone without a top of the line videocard. This isn't a case of the developer not having the resources to fully test the software across all possible hardware permutations, it's a rushed, VERY unoptimized port. It shouldn't have been released like this. Money's tight I guess.100% on point.
It runs horribly for me and I have a top of the line GPU (imo :lol). Unless 5870's are more middle-line.

We're all in this together and I'm positive the fact that the ports run like shit would have affected me a great deal more if I didn't have a shitload of school work to finish at the moment. Hopefully when I'm actually free to play games they'll have worked it out. Hopefully.

Still, it doesn't really benefit anyone if the developers lie about the game working fine on their dev machines. Sure it might be damage control to ensure more sales regardless of the current state.

But at the very least it seems they're willing to fix it rather than just leave us hanging until the PSN version hits and the PC port gets upgraded. I'm just looking on the bright side. The bright side of life *Whistle*

Tendo

Pai Pai Master said:
This is pretty unnacceptable. I've bought a lot of crap on Steam but I've never wanted a full refund before. Now I feel bad because I'm out 8 bucks and I helped fund this kind of development.
Exactly how I feel. They put the big sale up front to following people before they got found out. I'm disgusted my money funded these hacks. I will never buy another product of theirs day one and without a sale. This is terrible. I wish steam did refunds.

Tendo said:
Exactly how I feel. They put the big sale up front to following people before they got found out. I'm disgusted my money funded these hacks. I will never buy another product of theirs day one and without a sale. This is terrible. I wish steam did refunds.

The port is terrible, but to all of you - couldn't you have waited 20 minutes? I was also going to jump in, I'm a fan of Oddworld games, but thought - hey, why not click the forum? I do this for all games, many older games on Steam have lots of problems due to being poorly coded back in the day. Then I learned of this PoS. :lol

Tendo

Castor Krieg said:
The port is terrible, but to all of you - couldn't you have waited 20 minutes? I was also going to jump in, I'm a fan of Oddworld games, but thought - hey, why not click the forum? I do this for all games, many older games on Steam have lots of problems due to being poorly coded back in the day. Then I learned of this PoS. :lol
I wish I had. Lesson learned. Who knew a 5 year old Xbox game could be such a mess?

Castor Krieg said:

I already know it's an excellent game so I didn't feel there was any need to consult forums before purchasing. There's no way any of us could have expected a nigh-unplayable port.

And yes, many older games on Steam were poorly coded back in the day as you said, but this is a new port that just came out yesterday. By any modern standards it's a very poor product.

Syril

I guess there's no point asking about the weird dot effect around the grass and power lines in Stranger's Wrath?

Well, it seems to run okay for me if I turn the resolution to Low, but that's still pretty ridiculous considering how old this game is. Seriously, is this running in an Xbox emulator or something?

Roxas

cant even start the game. (Strangers Wrath) main menu is a garbled mess like the pic on a previous page.

:\

Pikelet

Castor Krieg said:

I have never had to do that before on Steam, and i have bought a lot of steam games. Nor should i have to do that, how ridiculous.

It runs very well for me in windowed at 640x480.

They drew the control layout in MS Paint.

99qpts.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
honeymustardn said:
It runs very well for me in windowed at 640x480.

They drew the control layout in MS Paint.

99qpts.png
For some reason I was looking at the text thinking "That doesn't look likt it was made in paint, wtf GAF is crazy :lol"

Then I saw the mouse and the keys. The line on the mouse isn't even straight :lol. Regardless of whatever may have happened with the port, that screen was definitely added in the last minute.

Balb

I've only installed Munch's Odyssey so far and it works fine for me, though I've only played it for a few minutes. Will try SW later.

I came to say that SW ran fine for me - though I'm waiting for the "HD" upgrade to play it, but then it crashed as I left the game :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wind_steaker said:
I came to say that SW ran fine for me - though I'm waiting for the "HD" upgrade to play it, but then it crashed as I left the game :lol
How fine is fine? I'm wondering how many people think it's fine is all. Personally I thought it was fine, then I checked the framerate, then I cried.

I could probably play it as it is though, Assassin's Creed 2 has made me immune to low framerates.

Easy_D said:
How fine is fine? I'm wondering how many people think it's fine is all. Personally I thought it was fine, then I checked the framerate, then I cried.

I could probably play it as it is though, Assassin's Creed 2 has made me immune to low framerates.

fine =! great. it worked better than MO but yes the framerate was a little low, maybe it just like my PC more?

At least my controller works in this one, though the resolution options are bizarre. Are there any videos of the PS3 version anywhere? I want to see if its worth waiting for the upgrade.

poweld

Easy_D said:

If I left it at the default resolution the framerate for me was about 30fps. Totally bearable. However, I'm going to wait for this to be patched so I can play it at a more reasonable resolution at 60fps, like it should run.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth, but I will allow the devs some time to clean up their mistakes. The real issue here is that there must not have been much or any SQA involvement before the product went out, which is a shame. Sure, I'm speculating, but it seems that 100% of the people in this thread are unable to play the game at high resolutions without poor results, so...

Anyway, best of luck guys. Looking forward to playing it once it's finished.

Fireflu

What the HELL is going on here!? ive been trying for the past 3 hours to buy this thing (colossal oddworld fan) but now i hear all these problems and errors? this is an UTTER shame... what on earth went wrong, and what i gather they didnt use the updated models for SW too? seriously.
This was one of my most hyped games/bundles of 2010, I be sad.

MDSLKTR

So I bought it yesterday, maybe I shouldn't have :lol Hopefully by the time I start playing it (2012 latest) most of the problems will be solved.

poweld

Fireflu said:
What the HELL is going on here!? ive been trying for the past 3 hours to buy this thing (colossal oddworld fan) but now i hear all these problems and errors? this is an UTTER shame... what on earth went wrong, and what i gather they didnt use the updated models for SW too? seriously.
This was one of my most hyped games/bundles of 2010, I be sad.
Those assets aren't completed yet. They have promised that the PC version will be patched to include the updated models around when the PS3 version is released.

FoneBone

brain_stew said:
The CEO of Just Add Water said he got 30fps @ 1024x768 with a mobile 8600GT, ffs! :lol

So even on their magical PCs the performance is utterly atrocious and worse than your average Xbox 360 port, so patronising statements like this are just an extra kick in the balls.

An 8600M GT will run Xbox ports of similar complexity (like Halo 2/ Psychonauts/ Splinter Cell) @ 1080p with full AA/AF and extra sparkly effects on top at a perfect 60fps. The theory that this is emulated kinda makes sense now, since I've literally never seen a native PC game perform anywhere near as bad this game does even under ideal conditions in JAW's test labs, nevermind what's happening out in the wild.
Yep. For crissakes, I do my gaming on a laptop with an 8600GT, and I can play Arkham Asylum at that resolution and ~30FPS. (Granted, on low settings, but still...)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
benjipwns said:
That's the reason for the delay, they had to develop it first.
Heh. They should have spent those 6 months on Munch alone and then focused on bringing the PSN version to PC after finishing it. I'd rather have the Oddboxx delayed with 100% assurement the PC version will get all the goodies of the PSN version.

Granted, I'm not one to tell people how to do their jobs but to me that makes much more sense.

scitek

Easy_D said:
Heh. They should have spent those 6 months on Munch alone and then focused on bringing the PSN version to PC after finishing it. I'd rather have the Oddboxx delayed with 100% assurement the PC version will get all the goodies of the PSN version.

Granted, I'm not one to tell people how to do their jobs but to me that makes much more sense.

On Twitter, they told me they only did the Steam achievements in Munch and not the port.

http://twitter.com/#!/jawltd/status/16995686910267392

Has anyone gotten a controller to work with munch's Odyssey? I haven't messed with settings at all but with my 360 controller the analog just spins him but doesn't move him so he can walk. Is it completely borked for controllers or I just need to change a setting?

Seriously who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to release this game in its current state. Worst port ive ever played sorry nearly played because the game is so broken its unplayable. Im confident that there will be a patch on its way but seriously selling this product to people is an insult.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Gents - issues are a complete shock to us.

Stew is running Stranger smoothly on a shitty 5 year old laptop. Seems most of these issues are on new / beast rigs.

We're trying to pinpoint the speed issue on Stranger. Rest assured it'll be nailed, and soon.

Here's a video we were sent from someone running a not so elegant hardware config:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bmn94lDc5g

And yes, Stranger AND Munch will be receiving fixes.

aeolist

Banned
boutrosinit said:

Stew is running Stranger smoothly on a shitty 5 year old laptop. Seems most of these issues are on new / beast rigs.

We're trying to pinpoint the speed issue on Stranger. Rest assured it'll be nailed, and soon.

Here's a video we were sent from someone running a not so elegant hardware config:

There is absolutely no reason an Xbox-level game shouldn't be running at >100fps at max resolution with everything jacked up on my rig and most of the ones belonging to others here.

You people fucked up colossally and knew full well what you were doing.

aeolist

Banned
Screenshot from a friend's PC:

ma1xp.jpg

So are these emulated? If not why is there still a menu reference to the Xbox dashboard?

Moobabe

boutrosinit said:

That's good to know. I still have hope and I'm not calling for your heads (yet) like many people seem to be. Just hope it all gets sorted asap before bad word of mouths kills the release.

Top Bottom