• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

GoldenHelmet said:
Errr... isn't that surely the standard? left stick is move character, and right stick is camera move?

It's not for Munch's Odyssey. You have move weapon assigned to right thumbstick/Right trigger and Dpad for camera movement. I'm not sure what it was in the normal game and haven't had to use a weapon so maybe it's better that way in the long run but makes it annoying to try and move the camera.

Edit: Controls you have set up are exactly like the xbox one. I must have just forgotten about hating the controls. :lol

GoldenHelmet said:
We actually sent the icon files for both Munch and Stranger to Valve.

As for the black dots, we actually found a bug today in the original XBox ShadowBuffer code which is causing issues elsewhere in the game, hence the black dots...

We also discovered a piece of code in the original engine that was written to be 100% software based for drawing, however in OpenGL there's a hardware blit command, so we're going to replace that, and that will give some extra performance boost :D

Thanks for the update. I was a bit sceptical at first but you guys seem to be doing good work now - so thanks :)

Game actually works fine-ish for me after:

1. Updating to Catalyst 10.12 Preview
2. Placing the Catalyst 9.12 openglxx.dll into the game's bin folder

For some reason it performs horribly with the new ATI OpenGL drivers. Old OpenGL games often have this problem. I had this OpenGL dll lying about for use with games like Quake.. I get about 50fps with this fix at 1600x900.

There are still rendering errors though, lots of pixellation and random dots with shadows and foilage. Power lines are not rendered properly and the water shaders look.. strange..

Still hoping I get a refund for this.. If not, well, I'll play it like this and replay once the PS3 asset and engine patch hits (but at this point I'm thinking that patch is vapourware..)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wwm0nkey said:
You know I was just thinking about this, but what about a Munch's Odyssey and Strangers Wrath for the 3DS as well :D
Given the issues to port the shaders from the original Xbox version I doubt the fixed function shaders on the 3DS would make it possible without a complete engine rewrite.

I'm pretending to sound smarther than I am.

wwm0nkey

Easy_D said:
Given the issues to port the shaders from the original Xbox version I doubt the fixed function shaders on the 3DS would make it possible without a complete engine rewrite.

I think its possible, would take a bit of work but I think it would be worth it to put more oddworld titles on as much things as possible.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
wwm0nkey said:
You know I was just thinking about this, but what about a Munch's Odyssey and Strangers Wrath for the 3DS as well :D
Let's get a version that works correctly before we get ahead of ourselves.

Luigiv

Easy_D said:

If the brainstew is to be believed, apparently the NV2A's shaders aren't any more programable then the Pica200's. They both use fixed Pixel Pipelines coupled with programmable Vertex pipelines.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
threenote said:
I really wish this was for Mac. Playing games on my Air has made me realize how good it is with older games.

If they can't get this running on modern mega PC's I wouldn't hold my breath for Mac support of any kind.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Sinatar said:
If they can't get this running on modern mega PC's I wouldn't hold my breath for Mac support of any kind.

Don't be too sure. It *could* happen. Just a matter of resources measured against practicality. I'd love a Mac version too. It's a viable platform.

boutrosinit said:
Don't be too sure. It *could* happen. Just a matter of resources measured against practicality. I'd love a Mac version too. It's a viable platform.

Its about a 1/10th as viable as the PC is and that didn't even receive merely a quarter of the resources it so clearly needed for a satisfactory product. I'm not seeing how these numbers quite add up, if the PC can't justify the outlay for something better than the worst port of the decade (literally) then how the hell can the tiny Mac gaming market justify something that is going to actually work correctly on launch day ( imagine that! :lol )?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, not worth going through a driver downgrade for. Don't care about the game that much.

BTW Vaz, you should give Nvidia Inspector a look. It's more complicated than Nhancer, but it has all the same functions.

Lothars

tahrikmili said:
Still hoping I get a refund for this.. If not, well, I'll play it like this and replay once the PS3 asset and engine patch hits (but at this point I'm thinking that patch is vapourware..)

I understand wanting a refund on it but you have no evidence to say it's vapourware? the games been out a week and the PS3 version will probably be out in a couple months once than we can say either way but it's way to early to say it is or not.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
brain_stew said:
Its about a 1/10th as viable as the PC is and that didn't even receive merely a quarter of the resources it so clearly needed for a satisfactory product. I'm not seeing how these numbers quite add up, if the PC can't justify the outlay for something better than the worst port of the decade (literally) then how the hell can the tiny Mac gaming market justify something that is going to actually work correctly on launch day ( imagine that! :lol )?

'Tiny' Mac market? It's smaller of course, but not tiny by any stretch of the imagination. And macs are much easier to create a 'will run on all machines without stress' builds for than a PC.

Regardless, I don't speak for OI (I do work with them on occasion), so ask Stew when he's done with his holidays, RE: the liklihood of this.

And the PSN -> PC patch is not vaporware. It *is* happening, and OI has publicly committed to it, not just here but in the official releases.

Lothars said:
I understand wanting a refund on it but you have no evidence to say it's vapourware? the games been out a week and the PS3 version will probably be out in a couple months once than we can say either way but it's way to early to say it is or not.

Seriously?

Two weeks after release this game still has no Steam or Desktop icon.

And you want me to believe there will actually be a PS3 update patch?

Not on your life.

tahrikmili said:
Seriously?

Two weeks after release this game still has no Steam or Desktop icon.

And you want me to believe there will actually be a PS3 update patch?

Not on your life.

Uh ... every game in my oddbox has a proper steam icon.....

EDIT: ok so SW doesnt have the tiny tiny icon in list view. all the big icons are there though, dont really care either way for desktop icons....

wwm0nkey said:
The bump made me hope there was a surprise update out :(

Oddbox! Never fails to dissapoint eh :D

NinjaTehFish said:
EDIT: ok so SW doesnt have the tiny tiny icon in list view. all the big icons are there though, dont really care either way for desktop icons....

Happy for you. It's still incredible laziness on the developers' part. And there is still ni update to this game despite all the aggravating fuckups. Sorry, I see no reason to have any hopes for a grand future support one year down the line.

wwm0nkey

tahrikmili said:
Happy for you. It's still incredible laziness on the developers' part. And there is still ni update to this game despite all the aggravating fuckups. Sorry, I see no reason to have any hopes for a grand future support one year down the line.
The PS3 port is coming out in April.

wwm0nkey

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I had reinstall windows after my mobo crapped out and I installed 257.21 for my 8800GTs and it keeps crashing on me after like 30secs. :(
Yeah I would just wait for the patch then. We should get info on that starting Monday.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah I would just wait for the patch then. We should get info on that starting Monday.

Ya, that's what I'm going to do now. I just kept trying because it was working perfectly before. I wish I knew what drivers I was running before.

wwm0nkey

poweld said:
Right on, thanks.
Apparently one of the tweaks they made caused the game (on low res) to go from 18fps to 60fps on a pretty old machine. There are more tweaks being made but at least we know the FPS will be getting a good boost/

wwm0nkey

From the Steam forums

Update should happen within 7 more days.

Update January 6th 2010
Just has a general update to All...

1. We have fixed the nvidia issue in first person mode.
2. We have HUGELY increased performance, a tester who had the game running at only 20fps in 800x600 mode is now running at around 60fps in 1920x1050 res.
3. We have also moved/altered the way saved games work. We forgot about the "permissions" issues with the "Program Files" folder in Vista/Win7, as a result we have moved saved games to "C:\users\USERNAME\appdata\Roaming\Oddworld\Strang er's Wrath\".

Other alterations that are WIP ...
a) Native resolutions available to the player will be made available (IE what can your card do)
b) Removing the joypad auto-detect from the game itself, and allowing players to chose which control system via the launcher.
c) Updated Keyboard UI screen.
d) Audio glitch in opening moving, being looked at. (Actual movie is glitched).
e) Fix achievements.
f) Customisable controls.

stuminus3

We forgot about the "permissions" issues with the "Program Files" folder in Vista/Win7..."
What the fuck?! This is such a basic thing. :lol

Glad to hear performance is apparently fixed though.

dLMN8R

The thing is, it's not even a "Vista/Win7" thing. It's been standard practice to get shit out of Program Files for security reasons for more than a decade. Applications storing stuff in Program Files is one of the biggest reasons why UAC in Vista/Win7 is still a problem.

Just shows how out of the loop they were with PC development....sheesh.

poweld

Darklord said:
In 7 days I might finally play. They better not be dicking with us about the performance.
I agree, that's mostly what I (and I imagine everybody else) cares about. I've been waiting to play it for this, and I would hate to be disappointed. Again.

Holepunch

Damn it now I gotta reality check this. The tester he mentioned with the huge performance boost? Was me. Steve emailed me a new version of the exec to try out, and I told him how I found it but I didn't expect a solitary test on one machine to be enough for a PR statement boasting massive FPS boosts. Although maybe it was just a little forum post, it's still not entirely true.

For one, the 20 fps to 60 fps is numbers I pulled out of my ass. I had no program running to tell me what the actual frames per second were, they were only my best estimate. But it was definitely a huge noticeable difference from unplayable to no complaints. Honestly, the new frames might've been in the hundreds, I can't really tell past 60.

Second, the resolutions are stated wrong, partially my fault, partially his. The new resolution I ran at was actually 1680 x 1050, not 1920 x 1050. That was him reporting it wrong. The "before" resolution of 800 x 600 was me reporting that wrong. It was actually 1280 x 720. So it's not as big of a jump, but it was a pretty big one. 1680 x 1050 is the best my monitor can do, and it ran fine.

Thirdly, probably the most important part is I didn't really get a chance to do a strong test. See, in the save file I was using I'm saved in the bounty store, and this test version GoldenHelmet sent me has a bug where you cannot move off the spot. You can only spin stranger around in place. This is a TEMPORARY bug probably caused by removing joypad auto-detect, so don't worry about that. The point is I wasn't actually in a big open environment full of other characters when I was getting a good framerate. I was in the tiny little bounty store, spinning in place, swinging the camera around and watching the moving fan to see how my framerate was. That said, it did look really good, and running the steam version in the same bounty store still looks unplayable.

So I do still have high hopes for this patch, just want to be straight about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Should probably give you guys my specs
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidea 9800GT
4 GB Ram
Intel i5 quadcore processer @ 2.67 GHz

poweld

facepalm.jpg

poweld

Thanks for mentioning this Holepunch, but really, this just isn't smart on their part. How many times have I developed a fix and thought, "Yes! I fixed it!" When in fact my single test case is far from indicative of what might be encountered when thrown into the "real world" mix.

It's amateur to jump the gun like this. Sure, I'm hopeful, but I'm not about to get out of my chair cheering based on this.

epmode

So Steam said I could have a refund... but my purchase is tied to three other games and they can't (or won't) separate them. I can get a refund for everything but I'll have to buy the other stuff back at full price instead of the rad sale prices.

So Just Add Water keeps another unwilling customer. I hope this patch is a good one.

In related news, I'll be buying all of my future Steam games in single transactions instead of groups.

scitek

Holepunch said:
Damn it now I gotta reality check this. The tester he mentioned with the huge performance boost? Was me. Steve emailed me a new version of the exec to try out, and I told him how I found it but I didn't expect a solitary test on one machine to be enough for a PR statement boasting massive FPS boosts. Although maybe it was just a little forum post, it's still not entirely true.

For one, the 20 fps to 60 fps is numbers I pulled out of my ass. I had no program running to tell me what the actual frames per second were, they were only my best estimate. But it was definitely a huge noticeable difference from unplayable to no complaints. Honestly, the new frames might've been in the hundreds, I can't really tell past 60.

Second, the resolutions are stated wrong, partially my fault, partially his. The new resolution I ran at was actually 1680 x 1050, not 1920 x 1050. That was him reporting it wrong. The "before" resolution of 800 x 600 was me reporting that wrong. It was actually 1280 x 720. So it's not as big of a jump, but it was a pretty big one. 1680 x 1050 is the best my monitor can do, and it ran fine.

Thirdly, probably the most important part is I didn't really get a chance to do a strong test. See, in the save file I was using I'm saved in the bounty store, and this test version GoldenHelmet sent me has a bug where you cannot move off the spot. You can only spin stranger around in place. This is a TEMPORARY bug probably caused by removing joypad auto-detect, so don't worry about that. The point is I wasn't actually in a big open environment full of other characters when I was getting a good framerate. I was in the tiny little bounty store, spinning in place, swinging the camera around and watching the moving fan to see how my framerate was. That said, it did look really good, and running the steam version in the same bounty store still looks unplayable.

So I do still have high hopes for this patch, just want to be straight about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Should probably give you guys my specs
Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidea 9800GT
4 GB Ram
Intel i5 quadcore processer @ 2.67 GHz

Tell him to email it to me, too. I'll help test this stuff out. The more results they get the better, right?

Holepunch

Well I kind of feel bad for deflating that entire thing. For the sake of effort, I loaded up the slow steam version, exited the bounty store, made a new save, got the beta version and tried that.

By sheer luck I was able to get stranger moving forward so I didn't let go and took a jog around town. At 1680 x 1050 resolution I was able to run around the first town of the game without any slowdown and at my best estimate at least 60 fps throughout.

Yes, I agree it's jumping the gun just because I got a huge performance boost to say everyone's performance will be boosted. To be fair he did say tester, so it's not like he ever implied otherwise.
scitek said:
Tell him to email it to me, too. I'll help test this stuff out. The more results they get the better, right?
I probably wasn't suppose to mention any of this. Or he doesn't care. He might go for it.

We still cool GoldenHelmet?

scitek

Holepunch said:
Well I kind of feel bad for deflating that entire thing. For the sake of effort, I loaded up the slow steam version, exited the bounty store, made a new save, got the beta version and tried that.

By sheer luck I was able to get stranger moving forward so I didn't let go and took a jog around town.

This is a bug I've been having where you have to pause the game, press a direction on the stick or keyboard to move in, and then unpause it and he'll move. Either that or you can jump to get moving, but for some reason I get stuck when I stand still.

Holepunch said:
I probably wasn't suppose to mention any of this. Or he doesn't care. He might go for it.

We still cool GoldenHelmet?

Probably not, but fuck it. We're all in it together at this point, right? I just want the game fixed. I could run FRAPS and give them definitive framerates. My PC isn't anything too high-end, either.

Top Bottom