• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty – “it’s not a fucking HD remake”

Raist

Banned
It is a HD remake, it's not a HD Remaster.

It's hard to know if he's wrong about what people call it, or just wrong.

I think for movies there's no confusion between remakes and remasters.
But a lot of people would call GoW HD collection a "HD remake" for instance".
I guess that's why he's upset, even if yeah, there's nothing wrong with calling it a remake in this case.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And the work shows in this completely new game in my book. It has the Oddworld foundation but spiritually it feels like a new and modern take on the old game. I'm definitely interested.

Hahaha! The quote reminded me of this

CO9yt5X.jpg

For those who haven't seen the scene (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMSQppv5CrI

Defining moment of his career :)

I understand what he's saying, and I think it's worth him being a bit obstinate to get the word out about the level of work they put into it. So who cares about being pedantic. Game looks great.

This is the problem with the term "HD remake". It's often misused. And now when someone makes an actual HD remake, people are confusing it with an up-res'd version. Two totally different things.

This is the problem with the term "HD remake". It's often misused. And now when someone makes an actual HD remake, people are confusing it with an up-res'd version. Two totally different things.

The term that Sony has used is HD remaster, which I think is fitting what what we've seen. Just like a movie remaster where the movie is identical but they've cleaned up the image and sound quality. But that applies to games like GoW HD, ICO/SotC etc. Actual remakes are extremely rare.

I think he's more just trying to point out that unlike most rereleases of older titles which do nothing more than raise the rendering resolution of the original assets and maybe update some of the environmental/model textures, this game and its assets have been completely rebuilt from the ground up to work on modern machines and in fully rendered 3D as opposed to the original's 2D prerendered assets. Even JAW's last port, Stranger's Wrath HD, did a fair bit more than just that, adding in a ton of actual model detail, new/smoother animations, remastered audio, and 3D support. This is a rerelease well worth $30 even if they hadn't gone as far as they did. It's an incredibly meaty puzzle platformer with a unique charm that's aged quite well. And those fart reaction chuckles never fail to get me.

Obviously New 'n' Tasty and other projects take priority but one day I'd love a Vita or whatever version of Abe's Oddysee with the full res assets and improved controls.

We actually looked at doing that 3 years ago, however we simply don't have the final code :( which is a shame.

Otherwise we would have done it.

hodgy100

while I can see his point. His game is still by definition a "HD remake" its more or less the same game, but with pretty hd 3d graphics. KH 1.5 is the same as all the source material was lost so it had to be made from scratch.

Hollycat

How is it not an HD remake? They're literally remaking the game in HD. Most of the HD releases so far have been Remasters, with SE's being the most detailed remasters. I guess technically KH1.5 was a remake as well.

_Ryo_

We have portions of the original art, we have 24bit 640x480 renders of EVERY screen in the game, as backgrounds. We have all the sprites relative to 640x480 screens.

We have NO level plans, we actually used an online guide for the full layout. But we did change a bunch of areas as they simply didn't work with scrolling.

We also have the originals source code and editor tools, so we were able to follow variables and other stuff from the original.

But it ALL had to be re-written, re-drawn, re-modelled, re-designed, re-created.

Didn't I read something a few months ago where it said the game would use the original sound files but remastered?

I may have dreamed that. X_X

Dremark

Banned
I think the gist of what he's trying to say is
T'S NOT THE SAME GAME! IT'S NOT THE SAME CONTENT

I think that would be a good name for the OT also.

Top Bottom