• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty – “it’s not a fucking HD remake”

I would. Most of the textures and models for the main characters and villains were complete redone albeit out of necessity due to lost assets. Lulu and Auron have drastically improved in the HD version. Similarly, the texture detail and model for Xehanort in KH 1.5 is based on the dream drop distance model. Again, it was partially out of necessity. Still, they are quite different from the likes of remasters such as God of War.

I have to agree with the above. Once you start making new textures, models, assets, etc, it moves into hd remake areas.

Reamsters are more just upscaled ports to new hardware, maybe with a few small tweaks.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well maybe if you showed a gameplay demo of a section of the game that wasn't in the original game people wouldn't be confused. Before Tomb Raider Anniversary came out they made it damn well known that the level design and gameplay was VERY different to the original. I can't say the same about this remake. Virtually everything they've shown looks like a prettier version of the same game. That's probably because that's what the game is, only with some tweaks here and there.

Scrolling instead of screen by screen and streamlined controls don't change the level design from being largely the same. But hey, prove me wrong. Show some direct gameplay from a part of the game that has completely different level design to anything in the original. Or don't. But don't whine when people think it's just a prettier version of the same game when you haven't proven otherwise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Technically it's an enhanced port. "Remaster" is a marketing name and a bit of a misnomen.
So Oddworld: NnT IS an HD remake, while FFXHD is not, but a port.
Precision of language, mateys. It's gold.

I feel you're making a distinction that doesn't exist. That the term "remaster" has origins in the audio and video industries doesn't preclude it being applied to relatively nascent industries such as video games, and in fact when you consider what the term means more broadly (taking existing content and enhancing it for higher fidelity) it's perfectly applicable to the likes of, say, the God of War Collection. The issue is that there's no standardisation of such nomenclature within the video game space and so it's not uncommon for to see "remaster" and "remake" refer to the same thing.

JP

It's a different game simply due to the fact that the game now scrolls instead of flipping screens, that alone will change the way the game plays and make it different to the original. The tone of the game may well remain true to the original but it is more than a "remaster" of the game.

Maybe they're reusing some of the original art assets which I suppose would qualify it for the "remaster" title but in all honesty I just don't care what it's described as although I'm sure these descriptions are going to become more and more difficult to define moving forwards.

Darkroronoa

tela3.jpg

24733_1_1c0270c652.jpg

People think it's just upping the resolution but it's a remake and not an "HD remake". That term is used for basically re-releasing the identical game in a higher resolution.

Just the fact that it is 2.5D instead of 2D is enought to do not call this an HD remake, its a remake, a proper one.

RaikuHebi

Banned
While I think he is semantically wrong (think of film remakes) I get what he's trying to say. This is different from the HD Remasters on PS3 which are simply HD ports.

New n Tasty is like MGS Twin Snakes, totally remade but it's the same game.

Sails

Banned
While I think he is semantically wrong (think of film remakes) I get what he's trying to say. This is different from the HD Remasters on PS3 which are simply HD ports.

New n Tasty is like MGS Twin Snakes, totally remade but it's the same game.

And nobody called that an SD remake...The term HD remake leaves a gross taste in many modern gamer's mouths, so I can see where he's coming from.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And nobody called that an SD remake...The term HD remake leaves a gross taste in many modern gamer's mouths, so I can see where he's coming from.
That's really the issue.

New 'n' Tasty *IS* a remake in the traditional sense. It's all of those other PS2 ports which are being mislabeled as remakes that has created this confusion. FFX-HD is not a remake. It's just a port with minor enhancements. Same for most HD re-releases.

DOWN

Banned
Halo Anniversary is what I'd call a remake as they built an engine on top of the old one with beautiful results. HD remaster is like Metal Gear Solid, Ico, Final Fantasy X. People seem to confuse the two and underrate the scale that remakes take.

NotLiquid

New 'n' Tasty is a remake in every sense of the word.

The problem is the stigmatization that comes with that very association. "HD remake" isn't a compelling word when it is interchangeable at a regular basis with all its HD remaster peers. The difference in the naming conventions are so subtle yet they remain vastly different in principle and it's often overlooked.

It really comes with the territory with the recent craze of ports and remasters. Actual remakes like this one and Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which personally to me stands as a golden standard of what a remake should be, are not a common breed compared to what is put out these days.

It is a remake. The problem is the developer thinking that saying it decreases its value.

Man up and just say it is the best way to experience it like everyone else does.
Like gaaawwwwwwwwwd.

Carl

Like everyone else has said, yes it is. It's just that the remasters are mislabelled as remakes.

So yes it is a HD remake and there's nothing wrong with that

Impossiburu

Neo Member
There are HD Ports and there are HD Remakes. To me, this is a remake. Quite literally.

It's being re-made in HD with a new engine.

There are HD Ports and there are HD Remakes. To me, this is a remake. Quite literally.

It's not an HD remake. HD is not even a tertiary goal.

Let's examine the sentence you wrote.

It seems as if being in HD is a goal of this remake.

Compare to
It's being remade with a new engine.
Now, the goal is to remake the game with a new engine. HD is a side-effect of making the game in 2014 not the goal.

Squire

Banned
Fair enough, but in FFX's case it' a port that was touched up to look pretier isn't it?

Yeah, it's a remaster. The term is applied the same way it is to a film or an album - it's the original product made to look and sound better. Calling FFX HD a port discredits the work that went into it.

I understand the devs anger but it's not entirely his fault, he has a shit gaming media on his hands that won't so a good job explaining this is a game built from the ground up to the readers

It's not like watching the original Psycho on Blu-ray

It's like watching the Vince Vaughn version of Psycho on Blu-ray..

Oh god should we be worried?

I understand where he's coming from.

Tons of HD ports/remasters are mislabeled as HD 'remakes' and he doesn't want a game that's been rebuilt from the ground up via the same blueprint to be lumped in with them. That's fair.

KingJ2002

Hmmm... i think in the case of this game it could be considered closer to a series reboot than a remake.

Core story hasn't changed but gameplay and visuals have been upgraded for this generation.

games such as Tomb Raider, Ninja Gaiden & Mortal Kombat would never be called remakes and New N' Tasty could be considered the same... well... if they plan on continuing off the momentum that new n' tasty brings.

either way. I missed out in 1997... i will definitely pick it up when it's released.

Shin-Ra

We have portions of the original art, we have 24bit 640x480 renders of EVERY screen in the game, as backgrounds. We have all the sprites relative to 640x480 screens.
Obviously New 'n' Tasty and other projects take priority but one day I'd love a Vita or whatever version of Abe's Oddysee with the full res assets and improved controls.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Hmmm... i think in the case of this game it could be considered closer to a series reboot than a remake.

Core story hasn't changed but gameplay and visuals have been upgraded for this generation.

games such as Tomb Raider, Ninja Gaiden & Mortal Kombat would never be called remakes and New N' Tasty could be considered the same... well... if they plan on continuing off the momentum that new n' tasty brings.

either way. I missed out in 1997... i will definitely pick it up when it's released.

If the story and basic level design is the same... it's a remake and not a reboot.

I understand where he's coming from, as JAW is recreating the entire game from the ground up - graphics, music, everything - not to mention going from pre-rendered 3D to actual 3D. If it were me, I think I would have said 'This is a lot more than just an HD remake' and then explain why to avoid this kind of headline.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's been a while since I played Oddworld but won't the scrolling levels make the thing much harder?

The isolated screens sort of gave you context to explore, re-start from checkpoints, etc.

Some of the Mudokans were really well hidden IRRC.

True Story: I reviewed the original PSOne game for GameFan and got a lovely thank you letter from Lorne and Sherry!

MazeHaze

Banned
Why O why can't Kojima make a HD MGS1 remake...... (I'm talking PS4/xbone)

He probably doesn't feel like spending years of his life remaking a game that was already remade once.

I think it's obvious that he meant NnT is not an upscaled port and not a port at all. It's an entirely new game based heavily on Abe's Odyssey.

It's been a while since I played Oddworld but won't the scrolling levels make the thing much harder?

The isolated screens sort of gave you context to explore, re-start from checkpoints, etc.

Some of the Mudokans were really well hidden IRRC.

I wonder about that too.

Top Bottom