• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OECD Obesity Update: Almost 39% of American Adults over age 15 now classified obese

Bulk_Rate

what the hell is a soda fountain?

also the stats for Italy are wrong iirc

but you can't say we eat like shit here too, you kill an entire economy

soda-fountain-437p.jpg

Wait, you're eating the exact same thing for the entire day?

No it's the same meal but done so it can be eaten in different days. Meal prepping can solve the fast food dilemma by having you cook tons of meals all day for one day then store in the fridge or freezer till you want to eat. Just re heat and you have a nutritious meal that good for your health and wallet because eating out does pile up over time despite those $1-$5 deals out there.

Well at least certainly take away the time management and convenience excuse some used in this topic. It does require some planning

Nelo Ice

Banned
The sad part is meal prep can be very easy and quick.

I just bought a 5.00 costco rotisserie chicken and shredded it up into a container.

While I did that, I boiled 3 ounces of whole wheat pasta shells

I then used a table spoon of olive oil, and stir fried 4 cups asparagus and 4 cups kale

Portioned 3 ounces of chicken in one container with a 1/3 of the veggies, half the pasta, 3 ounces chicken and another 1/3 in a container and then the last half pasta, 3 ounces chicken and the last 1/3 of veggies into the final container.

A snack, lunch and dinner for tomorrow all cooked within 20 minutes. Super healthy, cheap and delicious.
Hmm I'll have to try this sometime bookmarked for future reference since I've been eating like the same meals for the past month on this cut. This seems simple enough for a little variety since I hate tracking complex meals lol.

PerkeyMan

Physical labor for one, When I started working in the trades I started in roofing, 8-10 hours a day going up and down ladders with my shoulders loaded with shingles in hot weather. As time went on people got more concerned with occupational health and safety.
Manual portable hand winches were temporally installed on roofs. They had to be hand cranked but was 100 times less intense then before. Now they are electric as well. Even zoom booms and scissor lifts are common on even small construction jobs.

Also how many people worked in a office in the 70`s compared to physical labor whats the ratio now?

When you physically carrying bags of concrete, or lumber, or coal, or piping, hell even pipe wrenches use to weigh a 100 pounds, forged steel. Now they are aluminium and weigh a tenth of that..... you couldn't over eat calories if you wanted to.

I cant talk about any one else but myself, but in the winter when I`m behind a desk planning jobs all winter I put on 20-25 pounds easily. But when summer comes along and I`m working shutdowns and doing 12 hour days of climbing stairs and carting tools and equipment around I drop the weight. Zero change in diet, other than in the summer I drink alot more (empty calories)

How am I able to drop the weight but I dont change what I eat at all?
I could take any individual that says that cant loose weight, bring them with me too pull wrenches for 3 months 12 hours a day in the summer working the oil sands and I promise you you will drop weight without changing a thing with your diet.

This is like old people saying "when I was a kid I walked 3 miles to school and back everyday". Eh, yes grandpa because you didn't have a choise. Of course you pull wrenches when you HAVE to if that's your job.

More people should be educated on Italian cuisine and how to make it.

A lot of core ingredients are cheap and easily accessible, but best of all learning how to cook many Italian recipes is very accessible in itself. Italian food is all about the simplicity of the dish, it's the core philosophy. It's also very quick to prepare most dishes, even quicker if you like it al dente.

Making a tomato spaghetti is so simple for example, slice up some tomatoes, onions, add to pan. Cook it to your consistency, I like it a bit chunky, add some garlic if you like, basil, salt/pepper and other spices to your taste. Serve with spaghetti.

You can also make a varied version with two boiled eggs (or some people cook the egg in the pasta itself, break it in, cover with a lid for the steam to do its magic). You can also make a varied version with maybe some sliced meat of your choice. I don't really like the combo with chicken, but some people do, so you can slice up a chicken breast and cook it in the pasta.

It takes me about ~30-35 minutes to do the above dishes for example, a little more if I do something like chicken.

Mendrox

I am sure they're out there, but when I was last in Europe (Germany and France) in 2012 I didn't see a soda fountain anywhere.

Some fast food chains have one but they are very very rare. You want Coke? You gotta order coke. You want more coke? You better pay up.

No it's the same meal but done so it can be eaten in different days. Meal prepping can solve the fast food dilemma by having you cook tons of meals all day for one day then store in the fridge or freezer till you want to eat. Just re heat and you have a nutritious meal that good for your health and wallet because eating out does pile up over time despite those $1-$5 deals out there.

Well at least certainly take away the time management and convenience excuse some used in this topic. It does require some planning

I mean that's how meal prep normally goes but Sean specifically said "a snack, lunch, and dinner for tomorrow"

iceatcs

Just visits the primary school for some reason. Most surprise that everyone are fat, I don't see any slim at all. I'm really fear for the future children.

Madness

They're not eating pasta with creamy cheese sauces every meal.

The common Italian foods are very simple and not the restaurant varieties.

Not to mention the ingredients are all probably locally grown, locally purchased, and will be handmade food, very little to no preservatives, chemicals, added sugars, fats, sodium, artificial flavors etc. Even the portion sizes will be smaller. It is just a completely different culture in terms of cuisine, cooking and lifestyle.

But it isn't all rosy for the Italians. Creeping EU food culture and habits and a shift away from the Italian/Mediterranean diet has caused Italy to have a ton of obese children. The next generation of Italians will have eating habits and diets similar to those in the UK etc.

It is why Canada and Mexico are rising so much because they are being influenced by US food culture, fast food, convenience and snacks and treats etc.

Insulin resistance is a real bitch.

I do wonder if it's going to hit a point where we see strong government regulation to try to right things. I can't imagine the vast majority of Americans being okay with that, but at the same time I don't understand how obesity of 45+% could be sustainable. The national health care costs alone would be absurd.

OECD seems to mostly be pushing consumer education and similar policies, but I have no confidence of that working in any real way. At least in the US, obesity has been a well-publicized problem for decades, and despite lots and lots of education it's only gotten considerably worse. (I personally have a lot of problems with much of this education -- particularly the focus on total calories and reducing fat consumption -- and think a lot of that has only increased the problem, but it still demonstrates it's not an issue of the public not caring.)

Obviously nothing positive is going to happen in the US under our current government. I guess we'll see where things stand in ten years.

They regulate everything else and tax everything else up the arse. Should have a fat tax to go with the sin tax. 20% tax on any meal over 1,000 calories. That will teach em!

While both smoking and over/unhealthy eating is both addictive and bad for you, I think the fact that eating is basically key to your survival while there are no positive benefits to smoking is a big difference. There is also no "second hand eating" phenomenon.
Agreed about the key differences here but you can still force the food industry into some corners here. No way a meal should have 1500 calories in it.

This is like old people saying "when I was a kid I walked 3 miles to school and back everyday". Eh, yes grandpa because you didn't have a choise. Of course you pull wrenches when you HAVE to if that's your job.

What? Thats the fucking point! People were thinner exactly because they didn't have a choice. Them society started taking the physical out of labor and surprise surprise now you`re fat.

Agreed about the key differences here but you can still force the food industry into some corners here. No way a meal should have 1500 calories in it.

So you plan on banning people from ordering a appetizer before the meal and dessert after?

The fact is until science finds away to make kale taste like cheese cake, and boiled broccoli taste like a bacon double cheeseburger people are going to keep getting fatter.

What? Thats the fucking point! People were thinner exactly because they didn't have a choice. Them society started taking the physical out of labor and surprise surprise now you`re fat.

So you plan on banning people from ordering a appetizer before the meal and dessert after?

The fact is until science finds away to make kale taste like cheese cake, and boiled broccoli taste like a bacon double cheeseburger people are going to keep getting fatter.

That's some weird defeatism. The point is that there are huge disparities across the OECD, while every country in there has to deal with an increasingly sedentary population. It's not like countries below that median have poor tasting food either.

Obesity is on an upward trend worldwide but exploring the differences between country that spectacularly fail like the US and countries that somehow resist is key to fighting it off.

Part of the issue too is that healthy food is almost seen as a luxury here. Whether accurate or not, a lot of Americans fall into the mindset that healthy=expensive, and that $4 for a cheap burger is a better investment than $4 for veggies (about what I spend on a couple crowns of broccoli, bag of carrots, and a set of green onions, which when mixed with pasta gives an easy couple of meals for myself and my girlfriend).

The other part of it is the factor of time being a premium among our rapidly growing lower class. The extra 5 minutes on your drive home to stop by a fast food place vs the 20-25 it takes to make a basic meal is significant to many people who have to work obscene hours of the week. Paired with the fact that the fast food is more guaranteed to fill you up (and the American diet is all about stuffing yourself past that "pleasantly full" point), it comes across as a more attractive option to a lot of people.

This is all to say nothing about companies like Starbucks basically selling milkshakes as "coffee drinks" and similar sneaky tactics to get you to think you're eating something healthy or negligible, but that goes into a whole other issue.

That's some weird defeatism. The point is that there are huge disparities across the OECD, while every country in there has to deal with an increasingly sedentary population. It's not like countries below that median have poor tasting food either.

Obesity is on an upward trend worldwide but exploring the differences between country that spectacularly fail like the US and countries that somehow resist is key to fighting it off.

If obesity is on a upward trend worldwide, then no country has resisted it. The US just has a lead in the fat race.
As well as things become more automated we are all heading to a Wall-E existence you can t fight it because thats what the majority of people want.

Eh, incorrect.

Food is deliberately being made addictive and has been for a bit.

Google "Sugar, Salt, Fat"

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ry-manipulates-taste-buds-with-salt-sugar-fat

This is far from a chef's deft touch with flavor.

The "food industry" could just as easily be replaced with "how cooks manipulate taste buds with ingredients"

"Employing scientists to dissect elements of the palate and tweak ratios of salt, sugar and fat to optimize taste, the processed food industry, Moss says, has hooked consumers on their products the same way the cigarette industry hooked smokers on nicotine"

So instead of scientists if a company hired a large groups of chiefs to tweak their food is it no longer addictive?

PerkeyMan

Ok, maybe my reading comprehension is of key but you quoted the following with your anecdote:

"As entremet said, being fat is a recent development on a macro scale. Do you think 2.5 times the amount of people in 2017 are lazy compared to the mid-1970s? If so, what made people not lazy in the 1970s?"

You made it sound like people actually were less lazy back in the 70s which I objected to. Sry if I read it wrong.

It is true...its called flavor.
But for some reason people are now describing taste, flavor or anything that people really enjoy as "addictive"

No. It's just not just flavor. Food addiction exists (no, I'm not comparing it to drugs and alcohol) due to added fat, salt and sugar. I don't know the exakt english word for it but basically it's extremely rewarding for the brain (belöningssystem på engelska?)

If obesity is on a upward trend worldwide, then no country has resisted it. The US just has a lead in the fat race.
As well as things become more automated we are all heading to a Wall-E existence you can t fight it because thats what the majority of people want.
Okay, let's do nothing because in the history of the world, that has always worked really well. I mean, the US having 10 times more obesity than Japan is meaningless.

Ok, maybe my reading comprehension is of key but you quoted the following with your anecdote:

"As entremet said, being fat is a recent development on a macro scale. Do you think 2.5 times the amount of people in 2017 are lazy compared to the mid-1970s? If so, what made people not lazy in the 1970s?"

You made it sound like people actually were less lazy back in the 70s which I objected to. Sry if I read it wrong.

No. It's just not just flavor. Food addiction exists (no, I'm not comparing it to drugs and alcohol) due to added fat, salt and sugar. I don't know the exakt english word for it but basically it's extremely rewarding for the brain (belöningssystem på engelska?)

Sorry yes, I was trying to get the people in the 70 were just as lazy or at least wanted to be as lazy if not even more so then we currently are. But because of how life was you had no choice but to be physically active all day.
Its not accidental that political comics of the times showed the rich, bankers, politicians as fat not just as a metaphor for gluttony but because those are also all office jobs.

Maybe I just dislike the term "addictive" then. Anything someone finds pleasurable or brings happiness, joy what ever is addictive, I just find it odd that any activity people enjoy doing is labeled "addictive"

entremet

Sorry yes, I was trying to get the people in the 70 were just as lazy or at least wanted to be as lazy if not even more so then we currently are. But because of how life was you had no choice but to be physically active all day.
Its not accidental that political comics of the times showed the rich, bankers, politicians as fat not just as a metaphor for gluttony but because those are also all office jobs.

Maybe I just dislike the term "addictive" then. Anything someone finds pleasurable or brings happiness, joy what ever is addictive, I just find it odd that any activity people enjoy doing is labeled "addictive"

You're majoring in the minors.

It's not like people are enjoying gourmet meals. They're eating shit like instant ramen, doritos, shitty dollar cheeseburgers, sugar water, and so on.

I mean, I enjoy some of those things as a treat. Potato chips are my weakness.

Growing up in the deep south, I believe it. Being overweight was largely considered "normal" weight and being morbidly obese was "fat."

Moved to Minnesota (one of the healthiest states) and I was shocked at how much healthier everyone is. There are still obese people here, but it's not nearly as shocking.

PerkeyMan

Of course addiction is broad term and not necessarily something negative. Everything you enjoy can be addictive such as books, videogames, series etc but when you cant't control a certain behaviour even though you know it's bad for you it becomes a problem.

And if that thing that makes you temporarily "happy" (rewarding the brain etc) can be found in every corner of the street, in every department store and shop it makes it unbelievably hard to resist.

Growing up in the deep south, I believe it. Being overweight was largely considered "normal" weight and being morbidly obese was "fat."

Moved to Minnesota (one of the healthiest states) and I was shocked at how much healthier everyone is. There are still obese people here, but it's not nearly as shocking.

You are absolutley correct. The norm is changing and now people having a hard time "recognising" if somebody is overweight or not.

For example: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/07/news/la-heb-obese-toddlers-mothers-20120507

The article is about a study were thay investigated if mothers could tell if their children were overweight or not.

From the abstract of the study

- Nearly 70% of mothers were inaccurate in assessing their toddler’s body size
- 81.7% of mothers of overweight toddlers were satisfied with their toddler’s body size.
- Mothers of overweight toddlers had inaccurate perceptions of their toddler’s body size and were highly satisfied, suggesting a view of heavy toddlers as normative.

One more example of this is a norwegian study where it actually shows why BMI shouln't be used on individuals, but not because of muscle mass but the lack of it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22089480

BMI.jpg

The girl in the picture has a BMI of 22 but 36% bodyfat which makes her fat.

I know it's controversial but remember it has nothing to do with personal taste in looks and body references.

Drazgul

They regulate everything else and tax everything else up the arse. Should have a fat tax to go with the sin tax. 20% tax on any meal over 1,000 calories. That will teach em!

People will just order two smaller portions to avoid it, then. You can't regulate people out of a shitty diet unless you go into full totalitarian mode.

ldar247

Banned
How about forcing restaurants to display the amount of calories in each item? They did that here in Ontario recently.

Are we really that much more sedentary than in the 1970s? Or are we just eating more?

77NkgPB.jpg

I start gaining over 1 lb of body fat per week if I increase my calories by 800 per day.

How about forcing restaurants to display the amount of calories in each item? They did that here in Ontario recently.

Define "restaurants". Are you talking franchises? Because forcing an independent restaurant to have caloric counts is insane, and not even the cause of the obesity epidemic.

Cheap shit food is what's making people fat. Eating bags of chips and 2 liter sodas for dinner every single day is making people fat.

Circinus

Typical American food culture seems completely ridiculous from what I've been able to perceive. (never been there), but I don't mean to disparage the US or something.

Just googled typical American breakfasts and out of curiosity I googled Belgian breakfasts (country I live in) to see if it would be an accurate representation with what I think the average Belgian eats.

I was quite baffled to see plenty of Belgian waffles (even pictures of waffles with bacon) because almost no one eats that for breakfast here (of course I see there are American fast food chains offering that as breakfast). A typical Belgian breakfast would be bread with cheese, jelly or Nutella. A tub of yoghurt, maybe a piece of fruit, apple/pear or banana. The other option would be cereal with milk. Maybe an omelette or hard boiled egg on certain occassions. And danish pastry, croissants etc as well, but that's more on special occassions.

How is Italy so low on the list?!? They eat unimaginable amounts of pasta every day.

I'm not an expert in Italian food/culture or something so I'm 100% sure, but I would say:

Smaller serving sizes, and also I think the typical Italian pasta dish, the pasta is typically the only source of significant source of concentrated calories (there might be olive oil, cheese or cream though, but not in big amounts), so a pasta dish doesn't contain that much calories overall. Pasta dishes don't have tons of fatty meat to them, but rather a vegetable-based sauce, pesto, or seafood like clams/vongole so overall that's not really a very high calorie plate of food (especially minestrone), especially in comparison with an average American plate of food.

So of course pasta can absolutely be a part of healthy dishes and thus of a healthy diet. The idea that "carbs make you fat" or "all foods that contain carbohydrates are unhealthy" is nonsense. If you can only think about pancakes, doughnuts, bagels, American-style bread (white), mac 'n' cheese, breakfast cereals, cookies, sweets, soda etc when you think 'foods that contain carbohydrates', then I guess that's true of course..

I was quite baffled to see plenty of Belgian waffles (even pictures of waffles with bacon) because almost no one eats that for breakfast here (of course I see there are American fast food chains offering that as breakfast). A typical Belgian breakfast would be a slice of bread with cheese, jelly or Nutella. A tub of yoghurt, maybe a piece of fruit, apple/pear or banana. The other option would be cereal with milk. Maybe an omelette or hard boiled egg on certain occassions.

Cold cereal and milk is actually the most common breakfast in America. Well, actually the most common breakfast is not eating breakfast at all. I only eat it on Sundays.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PollVault/story?id=762685

Circinus

Cold cereal and milk is actually the most common breakfast in America. Well, actually the most common breakfast is not eating breakfast at all. I only eat it on Sundays.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PollVault/story?id=762685

Yeah, that's not surprising that's very common here as well.

What I mean was surprising was all the pictures of waffles when googling for "Belgian breakfast" specfically, because that is not a breakfast item at all here. That's more of a snack, especially when going out.

Yeah, that's not surprising that's very common here as well.

What I mean was surprising was all the pictures of waffles when googling for "Belgian breakfast" specfically, because that is not a breakfast item at all here. That's more of a snack, especially when going out.

I eat Belgian (Liège) waffles with fried chicken and hot sauce. It's amazing. People in Belgium would fucking hate it, and I feel sorry for them. :)

I didn't even know the situation is that bad. I really don't see it when I go outside. A lot more people seem to be exercising compared to like 15 years ago.

Exercise is far less important than diet. Hell, if I do a lot of cardio it takes my appetite through the roof!

We really need to teach CICO and calorie counting in grade school.

Exercise is far less important than diet. Hell, if I do a lot of cardio it takes my appetite through the roof!

We really need to teach CICO and calorie counting in grade school.

Well, yeah. Maybe i said it wrong: I see a lot more skinny or athletic people exercising than ever before. Our school foods are definitely not to blame for this one.

____

I have the hardest time controlling portion size. Sometimes I just crave snacks and start binge eating. I get full meals and just have to eat it all. I can't save it for later. And throwing food away is wasteful.

Probably th biggest factor in me not losing weight.

I'm not near being overweight, I'm actually in pretty good shape, but this is exactly me.

And I feel like one day I might have issues with my weight because of it.

Top Bottom