• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

Moosichu

Sony ain't doing so hot in Japan either. It's not PS2 days.

Sony is sure as hell doing better than MS in Japan. The US and UK are the only countries were X-Box sells better than PlayStation iirc.

So now only the UK and US are relevant countries?

Ill day Sony because Microsoft has one franchise I still care about in Halo, Sony has zero exclusives that I really care about just a few I enjoy like uncharted and god of war.

I have nothing but fond memories of the gens dominated by NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2.

This gen, as great as its been, leaves me with a lot of bitter feelings towards the development of disgusting anti-consumer practices and shameless profit mongering and I feel like MS has been on the front lines of it. So as much as I give them credit for pushing console online networks to the next level they would be the least missed by me, hands down without question.

Microsoft.

Think Bungie's new game will make Halo redundant and Gears is milked out. Apart from those two their IP are unmemorable. Most good XBLA games end up on Steam or PSN (Braid, Limbo, Fez, Trials etc). They popularised paid online play, one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

Saying that I'm glad they're around to keep the others on their toes. Sony in particular needs a good slap around the head sometimes.

Super Mario Land on Game Boy was my very first video game. Playstation was my first console. I grew up with Nintendo and Sony. Couldn't care less about Microsoft's games and consoles.

Conor 419

Banned
Nintendo. Losing Mario and Zelda wouldn't be a big deal except to the faithful, which is a group that's getting smaller and smaller. Neither would losing whatever gimmick they come up with for their next consoles.

Microsoft has at least brought a lot of online elements to consoles, made it more social. Would Sony have ever tried to get PSN up to speed if Xbox Live didn't exist? Probably not. And as for Sony, they've brought a lot of great games, including new IPs, and of course their hardware is usually top notch.

This, too. Third party situation is terrible and has been for decades now (man I'm getting old) so they wouldn't be losing much revenue at all. Some of them don't even support the platform anymore (EA).

Overwhelmingly tragic post. Mario and Zelda are to this date, the greatest IP's this industry has bar say...GTA. To suggest the industry wouldn't miss them is not only numerically wrong, it's a critical misunderstanding of art itself. You should be ashamed.

To lose Nintendo, would be to lose a massive number of IP, frequent software and hardware innovation, competent publishing standards and one of the few companies which thrives on being different.

1-D_FTW

I'd say they'd miss Nintendo the most, just because they at least differentiate themselves from the rest of the industry.

Although to be blunt, I don't think the industry would miss any of them... even if they all disappeared tomorrow.

Microsoft.

Personally? Microsoft. By a fucking mile.
Gamers? Microsoft.
The industry? Nintendo.

IDK. I don't see the Industry taking up Nintendo's space with anywhere near the same quality.
Most third parties have gone incredibly mature, to the degree that to kids now GTA must seem tame.

Nintendo brings a steady stream of gamers into the industry every generation and keeps a good public face for the industry for families.
They'd be missed in the long term.

nacimento

Microsoft. The least amount of games and of history as console maker. And their best IPs are not on xbox and long gone...

Shahed

Well it certainly didn't affect them in PS2 days.

Yeah it didn't. But the problem with the PS2 days wasn't market share. 3rd parties were fine with the platform and sales and stuff. But you could even tell then they were getting put off by Sony's arrogance in those days, as well as the way they designed the platform. Cases like Mikami with Res Evil and Itagaki come to mind. But due to the market share 3rd parties had no choice, but clearly jumped on another ship in the 360 at the first opportunity.

What you'd need is a platform that is dominant, yet still remains humble. Whether Sony can do that is another matter. Nintendo lost their way in their arrogance after the SNES era, and were then shot down. But after regaining their market strength, you could say they got complacent all over again. Microsoft on the surface it appears may be taking their audience for granted as well after the success and mindshare they've achieved. If Sony were to be dominant again, would they stay true or show the same pitfalls once more?

It's strange because while I don't anything like the PS2 happening again, only Sony could do it. Microsoft have got very strong 3rd party support overall, but their Japanese side of things is lacking to the point multiplat releases don't bother releasing on 360 there. And sure the likes of Ni No Kuni (and even HD collections like FFX and Kingdom Hearts) and random games like that aren't big by any means, but they still make a difference and not having them will reflect that in a way and prevent them from global domination. You could reverse that and say Nintendo get good Japanese 3rd party support and poor western (although in Wii U's case it's bad everywhere, even moreso in Japan weirdly). They have their market, but will find it pretty much impossible to break into the so called western 'hardcore', meaning they'll never get anywhere wordwide. Sony are the only ones that straddle both the Western and Japanese side of things and get the best (and at times worst) of both worlds. It's the only platform that can conceivably have pretty much all audiences on board, and therefore in my mind the only platform that could in theory achieve market dominance all over.

That's why if the OP question were to be reversed, I'd say Sony would be missed the most as their platforms are the closest you'll get to a one stop for pretty much everything gaming related (ignoring other first parties that is). Note this isn't my personal preference going forward, it's just my (misguided as it may be) view on the gaming market and where it could possibly go.

Nestunt

Nintendo

Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess are not enough in 10 years and together do not trump other experiences like GTA, Portal, Bioshock, Red Dead, Metal Gear, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Halo, COD, Arkham, Street Fighter IV

Mashing

I don't have to think about this for even a second: Microsoft.

Microsoft and Sony have too much overlap. Between the two Sony has more classic franchises so, goodbye Microsoft.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Microsoft no contest.

Why wouldn't you play OoT, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy ? Just to name a few ....

I don't think I can consider OoT playable now, it feels a bit old and clunky on the 3DS, but that's just me.

Dunlop

Overwhelmingly tragic post. Mario and Zelda are to this date, the greatest IP's this industry has bar say...GTA. To suggest the industry wouldn't miss them is not only numerically wrong, it's a critical misunderstanding of art itself. You should be ashamed..
So he should be ashamed because his opinion doesn't align with yours?

It would be a tough call but I think I would choose Nintendo also. I own a Wii U and it just shows me how off course that company is..and they will not do a thing to correct it and will just bank off of their ip's like they always do

kinggroin

Banned
Nintendo

Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess are not enough in 10 years and together do not trump other experiences like GTA, Portal, Bioshock, Red Dead, Metal Gear, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Halo, COD, Arkham, Street Fighter IV

I would definitely agree with this.

Except I've actually played more than two Nintendo game in the past ten years.

OT, my vote goes to Microsoft since they've completely dropped the ball on software for the past couple years or more. Anything else the Xbox brand is known positively for can be covered by Sony, if the PlayStation 4 is anything to go by.

Majmun

Microsoft.

Sony supports their consoles much better compared to MS. The Ps3 is still going strong with exclusives. Even with the Ps4 announced.

The Xbox was cut off pretty fast and the X360 doesn't get much support outside of the usual third pary games and Kinect nonsense. And the next Xbox hasn't even been announced...

Nintendo can't be missed. Their franchises are too well known and their quality has been pretty constant. And you just can't miss their handheld efforts.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't think I can consider OoT playable now, it feels a bit old and clunky on the 3DS, but that's just me.

I am not talking about now but when it was released, and even so you would have at least to play the game to find it old and clunky xD

btw. loved it on the 3DS - the games has aged well i would say.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The industry, as in 'publishers, developers and the media'? Definitely Nintendo. They don't care about Nintendo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems obvious to me that the answer to the actual question in the OP (which many seem to not really be answering) is Nintendo. 3rd party games generally sell like shit on their consoles, and support for the Wii U is terrible. Sony's and MS' consoles are where 3rd parties get their big sales and make their money, so why would they want to lose either of them?

Personally, as a gamer, I'd say get rid of MS. They offer little of interest to me, and I don't like the direction they've taken the 360 in the last few years, nor where they are rumored to be taking the 720. I'll be rocking a PS4 next gen, Sony seems to know what they're doing. Nintendo I want to keep just for their classic franchises.

Hate to join the bandwagon but MS all the way. Outside of bringing online gaming to the forefront their have never been any games or console that I felt a need to get.

Shahed

I've seen it in this topic a few times as well as many other places and it always seemed pretty silly.

Where on earth did M$ come from? It seems quite childish. And if you have have M$, why not $ony? Or anything else like that? All these companies are after your money.

I've seen it in this topic a few times as well as many other places and it always seemed pretty silly.

Where on earth did M$ come from? It seems quite childish. And if you have have M$, why not $ony? Or anything else like that? All these companies are after your money.

It's been M$ for years, but seemed to get more use with the 360 pay online (that the competitors didn't have), and the proprietary overpriced accessories (i.e. hard drive for 360)

The Gameboy did that far earlier and to a far greater degree than the PS1 or PS2.
If you want to limit it to consoles, then the NES wins. It revived a dead industry.

America is not the world.

The gaming industry wasn't dead neither in Japan nor Europe in the 80s.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I am not talking about now but when it was released, and even so you would have at least to play the game to find it old and clunky xD

btw. loved it on the 3DS - the games has aged well i would say.

I did have the game and dropped it midway on my 3DS. It really is old and clunky.

I could have liked it if I actually had an N64.

Inversive

because they throw money around for exclusives and timed dlc etc, they did it alot at the start of the gen. Moneyhats!

Raide

MS, not even a contest.

So you're saying the industry would not miss being able to sell millions and millions of units of the most popular games?

I think people are reading into the OP's question as "which one would I personally not miss." The industry thrives on making money and out of the big 3, Nintendo make the majority of their own money, while most 3rd parties are left to pick off the stragglers. The industry would gladly drop Nintendo and actually be able to sell their software and not go against Mario, Zelda etc.

Probably Microsoft.

I'm talking about future state here.

I think Xbox Live was revolutionary, but that revolution has passed.

Their current strategy says nothing about innovation to me at all.

Brofist

Sony is sure as hell doing better than MS in Japan. The US and UK are the only countries were X-Box sells better than PlayStation iirc.

So now only the UK and US are relevant countries?

I dont know why but it bugs the shit out of me for some reason when people use the hyphen in Xbox.

Shahed

It's been M$ for years, but seemed to get more use with the 360 pay online (that the competitors didn't have), and the proprietary overpriced accessories (i.e. hard drive for 360)

Well I get that to a degree, but Nintendo are definitely not shy of accessories and Sony have shown with their propriety memory cards they aren't averse to the same. It's only really the online

because they throw money around for exclusives and timed dlc etc, they did it alot at the start of the gen. Moneyhats!

And Sony or Nintendo don't?

Well I get that to a degree, but Nintendo are definitely not shy of accessories and Sony have shown with their propriety memory cards they aren't averse to the same. It's ony really the online

And Sony or Nintendo don't?

I'm not disagreeing one bit, but I think the origin of it goes back even farther to the overpriced operating system and office suite

tkscz

Where's the lie though?

Microsoft hands down. The only thing they've brought to the table is online gaming and someone would eventually pick that one up if they didn't arrive. But everything else they've introduced has been leaving nothing but bitter aftertaste.

Sega did it before Microsoft, Nintendo did it somewhat before Sega (some weird satellite thing with the SNES only in Japan). So they didn't really bring that, just a better interface and like you said, that would've been made better anyhow.

So yeah, Microsoft.

Top Bottom