• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

It's cheap as chips right now on CD Keys for the pc version so maybe go down that route https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/doom-pc-cd-key-steam

I'm all digital on Switch but if I get this game it'll be Physical so I can burn through the campaign and then sell it...

Do you know if you can use a controller for the PC version? It says "partial controller support" on Steam but I don't know what that means. I can't use mouse and keyboard setup for shooters because it hurts my wrists badly for some reason.

Puts it into perspective.

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Even then, when you remove the joycons it's the same size as the Nintendo Switch game cases.

OCD Guy

Do you know if you can use a controller for the PC version? It says "partial controller support" on Steam but I don't know what that means. I can't use mouse and keyboard setup for shooters because it hurts my wrists badly for some reason.

It plays fine with a 360 pad from my experience.

I don't use a mouse and keyboard on any pc game either. I use my pc as a console. Like you I just find it very uncomfortable.

Cleve

Works fine on a controller. Partial support is super vague and can mean all sorts of stuff, sometimes the menus require kb/m. sometimes it doesn't support dinput (ps4 native), but doom runs fine, had a buddy finish it that way.

Looks like the best way to play it

It looks good, but that's a big stretch.

conpfreak

Look ridiculously good here. Movement feels slower here at 30fps, but everything else is spot on. I can deal with 30fps if it's going to look like this. Hopefully, the backlash to lead to some kind of uncapped framerate or optimizations options, but this is way to close to the PS4/Xbox One counterparts to be complaining.

The joycon sticks might also be a dealbreaker for me. Not sure I want to play an FPS that doesn’t have gyro like Splatoon with those crappy sticks

Hadn't thought about it but yeah those sticks aren't great. Guess you could use a pro controller but that sort of defeats the advantage of portability. At the very least I hope they release a demo.

Si2k78

Is there a chance that multiplayer will be 60fps where twitch response is important, and the single player campaign can be turned up to 30fps with all the graphical bells and whistles turned off???? It's been done before, Uncharted 4.

HeroR

The joycon sticks might also be a dealbreaker for me. Not sure I want to play an FPS that doesn’t have gyro like Splatoon with those crappy sticks

That is where I am at. I can live with 30 frame rate. But no motion controls, not buy for me. I refused to used a stick when motion controls can be put it, especially since it's in Skyrim.

btags

I am impressed. It is obviously downgraded in several areas, but the fact that they got this running with as much of the effects as they have is quite impressive. If I had a switch I would probably get this just for the novelty of being able to play a game like this on the go.

ozfunghi

Would the game run on Switch at 60FPS if the graphics were dialed down further, or is the CPU the culprit? Could they for instance (theoretically) provide two game settings, one at 30fps and more graphical detail, and one with 60fps and less detail and effects?

i'm not a tech head but that Gamespot footage looks great.

I know it ain't 60fps, but even a solid 30fps is nothing to cry about, we were lucky if we got that on most ps3/360 games. Looks silky smooth to be honest. For a lot of people it is going to be a great port and game.

Definitely thinking of double dipping.

D.Lo

Gyro controls please gyro controls please gyro controls please

I never want to go back to sticks after Splatoon 2's separate hand joycon gyro aiming.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah that Glixel video is smooth..

This definitely seemed like the only one that gave an appropriate feel of gameplay speed to me, I don't know if the others are just shot differently, but aside from the dirty/dusty screen, this was by far the best of the bunch for me, to judge smoothness of the 30fps gameplay - the rest all made it seem worse to me than the Glixel one.

nubbe

Is there a chance that multiplayer will be 60fps where twitch response is important, and the single player campaign can be turned up to 60fps with all the graphical bells and whistles turned off???? It's been done before, Uncharted 4.

twitch response with a controller?
okay~~~~

ryushe

These reactions are bizarre and surprising to me. Plenty of high performance games are still 30 fps. Definitely not as smooth as 60, but I feel low framerate only becomes noticeable when you start dipping into the 20s
No, I'm only saying that cause it looks like it's running @ 60. Maybe it's YouTube, but that definitely looks smoother than 30.

ozfunghi

This definitely seemed like the only one that gave an appropriate feel of gameplay speed to me, I don't know if the others are just shot differently, but aside from the dirty/dusty screen, this was by far the best of the bunch for me, to judge smoothness of the 30fps gameplay - the rest all made it seem worse to me than the Glixel one.

Felt the GS video was best tbh.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Posted this in another thread but it holds true.

This looks pretty fucking amazing to me. It's almost hard to believe. It's like back before launch when people were photoshopping dream games on Switch templates, but it's real.

Drek

Looks bloody fantastic. The Switch is a really impressive piece of tech and so much closer to PS4 "console quality" than the Vita ever was to PS3 "console quality". The future is bright for fans of portable gaming. Not double dipping on this game in particular but the Switch will be a serious contender for many of this gen's multiplats for me.

I'd say it's pretty close to the Vita/PS3 (factoring in screen size and qHD v. pseudo-HD). The gap between this and the console versions, given the drop in framerate, is pretty comparable to the gap bewteen KZ:2 and KZ:Mercs. Or say, Sly Cooper 4, etc.. Even Vita exclusives like Gravity Rush and Tearaway have up-ported to PS4 well, so that says quite a bit about what the Vita was doing in it's (incredibly short) peak years of AAA development.

The big difference, to me, is that by being based on the Tegra X1 the Switch is enabling 3rd parties to quickly deliver ports with this fidelity, not something exclusively the domain of first party studios on noteworthy first party IPs. The Vita had a mobile chipset with a good amount of available memory and could only really be tapped well via Sony's development tools, therefore most non-first party games didn't scratch the surface of what the device could do.

Here it appears that if your game runs well on older x86 hardware it apparently isn't too much of a challenge to get up and running on the Switch. I can't imagine Bethesda had this in-development prior to the strong launch sales of the Switch and if that's the case this is all the more impressive.

Sojiro

30 FPS really sucks, but dude, Doom on a hand held this soon after release is nuts. I am definitely in for this game.

I'm watching GameXPlain video now and the gameplay is fast, furious, and smooth.

I can't tell the different between 30 vs 60 FPS at all which is why I don't understand the out cry because it's not at 60 FPS from some users.

It's a rock solid 30fps. I can't see any drops in framerate at least, not even during parts with many enemies in the area.

I played through it a few months ago, so my memory isn't that clear in that regard, but god damn, I don't see a single effect, shader or whathaveyou that I'd miss. Thank god that Chromatic Abberation's gone for good, apparently.
Not even texture resolution looks bad in motion when you have nothing to directly compare it to.

It's a very solid effort and everyone who hasn't played it should definitely buy it and play it on the system of their choice.

I'll definitely double-dip on Switch.
I hope offline multiplayer (single or multiple systems) is confirmed?

D.Lo

I like that Polygon is shocked over the fact that a Nintendo console has a violent game on it.

And Doom no less!

33510-Doom_(USA)-1497229912.jpg
And N64 was the original console shooter box, with dozens of FPS including Doom, and the highest selling shooter of the decade on any platform in Goldeneye.

Top Bottom