• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

Gyro aiming is possible on PS4 as well and considering that version didn’t have it I wouldn’t bet on it.
That's a rather poor argument to make since Skyrim, RE: Revelations and LA Noir ports support the Switch special features in regards to controls, Gyro amining specifically.

i think any quality port (shooters mainly) should support motion control aiming as it enhances playability, specialy in Handheld mode, since some users are not that used to short traveling analog sticks.

On topic: Now it seems the tide is up again! Just compare the reactions to the Digital Foundry video to the ones in this thread where we can see actual gameplay footage. Maybe the tide gets down again when we see the game running on a TV? XD

Portugeezer

Obviously you wouldn't want to play it on the Switch if you could play it anywhere else (just as you wouldn't play the PS4/XB1 versions if you had the ability to play it on PC), but it seems fine and playable enough, and the novelty of it running on a handheld is undeniable.

As someone who once had a lengthy commute as the only free time I really had to play video games, I appreciate how big a deal it is to have 'proper' games like this on the go, even if they're not the best versions available.
Obviously my ass. I am more interested because it is on Switch; didn't buy it on PS4.

Cuburt

The guys at GameXplain said something about not even seeing if it was 30 or 60fps at first... but they did see it dip below 30? So, they can't see the difference between 30 and 60, but they can see that it goes below 30...
My take away was that while playing it, it felt smooth, but they did notice a couple moments of brief dips in hectic action. Andre is a little more sensitive to framerate, I've noticed, but even he said he needed to rewatch the footage to be sure it was 30 and not 60.

That's the thing with framerate, people think there is some hard set rule to where 30fps = always unacceptable, but your mileage my vary due to various factors contributing to how a game feels. Even something like poor frame pacing for a 60fps game seems to give the impression that a game runs worse just because it may not feel as smooth.

TrutaS

If they confirm gyro controls it would be very attractive. Otherwise I’ll get on ps4 for cheaper. Looks great though.

ozfunghi

My take away was that while playing it, it felt smooth, but they did notice a couple moments of brief dips in hectic action. Andre is a little more sensitive to framerate, I've noticed, but even he said he needed to rewatch the footage to be sure it was 30 and not 60.

That's the thing with framerate, people think there is some hard set rule to where 30fps = always unacceptable, but your mileage my vary due to various factors contributing to how a game feels. Even something like poor frame pacing for a 60fps game seems to give the impression that a game runs worse just because it may not feel as smooth.

I was thinking they meant it this way, but on the other hand, it felt a bit strange to talk about framedips when they couldn't even tell it wasn't 60fps to begin with. But anyway, i wonder if stuff like DOF and maybe some other effects is actually somehow responsible for it looking smoother.

I do wish they get to add gyro aiming.

Obviously my ass. I am more interested because it is on Switch; didn't buy it on PS4.

But that's because playing it on the TV isn't convenient for you though, and you need the portability, right? Buying the Switch version to play in docked mode when you own a PS4 would be very odd (unless there's something I'm missing).

Newboi

Man, I know it was a long shot for this game to run at 60fps, but I'm definitely still interested. Being able to play doom on the go is just too awesome! I hope they port over Doom 1 & 2 as well.

I do wonder if the reduction in texture quality has more to do with bandwidth and ram limitations, or does it have more to do with compression and size limitations?

Mr Swine

Banned
Very impressed on how good it looks, sure it has lower resolution textures, worse lightning, effects and runs at 30fps. But my god it runs on a switch which is a bit better than last gen consoles which is imho very impressive.

I do wonder if it’s possible if a future Switch revision with a faster CPU and GPU could push the game to run at 720p in handheld mode

Man, I know it was a long shot for this game to run at 60fps, but I'm definitely still interested. Being able to play doom on the go is just too awesome! I hope they port over Doom 1 & 2 as well.

I do wonder if the reduction in texture quality has more to do with bandwidth and ram limitations, or does it have more to do with compression and size limitations?

It’s probably a bit of both (well mostly bandwidth since Switch has better texture compression than a bone and PS4)

conpfreak

But that's because playing it on the TV isn't convenient for you though, and you need the portability, right? Buying the Switch version to play in docked mode when you own a PS4 would be very odd (unless there's something I'm missing).

Part of the appeal of the Switch is that it does both docked and undocked instantaneously. Okay with 30fps? Cool, you can play docked, then just lift it out of the dock and keep playing on the go anywhere. Can't do that with a PS4.

nubbe

Texture size affect everything so it would be the first thing to get "optimized"
The largest win for reducing the texture is cost saving on carts

Considering that a Switch hardware revision is inevitable, I hope these ports give Nintendo something to consider. If they shoot to have Doom and other like ports run at 60 FPS for the revision, that can be a very attractive proposition to many consumers.

SuomiDude

Damn, this is the first time seeing Switch compared to PS4 and XBox One. Even the slim versions are HUGE compared to Switch, so it really is amazing what the small system is capable of :O

R.D.Blax

For me the real deal breaker is Gyro control. I can handle 30 fps or ugly texture or whatever, but I can't see myself ever coming back to twin stick shooter.

Seik

Banned
OK, 30fps got me doubting, but these footage are pretty convincing.

Looks like the technical marvel Richard claimed it was.

I'm in.

Sojiro

So no word yet on gyro controls?

Careful with those kind of questions, I dared to ask the same thing, and was quickly corrected in the error of my ways! :)

Unfortunately, thats a no so far :(. I really hope it is something that can be added in at some point though.

Upinsmoke

I mean if you've not played doom yet I'd definitely say grab it if you have a switch. If you've played it on pc at 60 then just don't bother.

Seik

Banned
I mean if you've not played doom yet I'd definitely say grab it if you have a switch. If you've played it on pc at 60 then just don't bother.

I have it on PS4/PC and I do bother, honestly.

Any reason is good to do DOOM again. :lol

Also, the portability factor is great, I'll bring that shit everywhere I go.

LordOfChaos

That would be incredible. Digital Foundry speculated that CPU was a bottleneck for 30fps DOOM, and the A11 Bionic's individual high power cores have the same per-core performance of an i5-6600U, which is leagues ahead of the Jaguar cores in PS4/One and the Cortex-A57 in Switch. The four low power cores in the A11 are still more powerful than Switch's cores too, and all six cores can be used simultaneously...

It's a crying shame that Apple designs the best ARM CPUs, because they'd be such a great fit for the Switch.

The power is all there, with a controller and AAA support that could make some high quality games. I wish this took off, mobile games are still quick few minute affairs while the iPhone and some high end Andorids have gotten more powerful than the Switch or the 7th gen consoles already.

Gamevice-iPadPro-StarWars-cropped.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hah, nuts that this is running in portable mode so well... Looks really good.

All this DOOM hype made me reinstall it on pc.

The power is all there, with a controller and AAA support that could make some high quality games. I wish this took off, mobile games are still quick few minute affairs while the iPhone and some high end Andorids have gotten more powerful than the Switch or the 7th gen consoles already.

We can continue to pretend throttling isn't a thing

SuperSah

Banned
It looks really, really good.

I just hope they manage to up the alleged res from 540p variable. To be fair, DF's method of pixel counting a very compressed image leads to me feel that they may not be entirely accurate on this one until they get direct-feed gameplay.

Weils

Neo Member
Obviously you wouldn't want to play it on the Switch if you could play it anywhere else (just as you wouldn't play the PS4/XB1 versions if you had the ability to play it on PC), but it seems fine and playable enough, and the novelty of it running on a handheld is undeniable.

As someone who once had a lengthy commute as the only free time I really had to play video games, I appreciate how big a deal it is to have 'proper' games like this on the go, even if they're not the best versions available.

I'm really tempted to get Doom on Switch even though I have it on the PC. It's true, the portability factor plays a big part. It doesn't matter if the framerate is not 60fps but 30fps, as long as it offers the same stable gameplay, I will gladly take it.

Kebiinu

Banned

I have a PS4, never picked this up. Grabbing it for the Switch though, because I like the flexibility. And I intend to play mostly docked. I also want to support 3rd parties on the Switch. It's a great port.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I'm fine with Destiny 2 at 30 so I think I can manage this. Looks terrific in handheld. Just have to steer clear of replaying the PS4 version because it might taint my opinion. Otherwise, very impressed with what the Switch can handle.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The game looks great. I'm tempted to grab this version, even though I have an unplayed copy on Steam thanks to family sharing (haven't bought my own copy yet, but I will eventually). It'd be nice to play Doom on my bed.

Something tells me this studio is going to get a LOT of Switch based commission work... bringing Rocket League that works crossplay was impressive enough, Doom is another level.

And predictably it looks great, I feel sorry for the people losing out on portable Doom because they can't handle 30fps...

Top Bottom