• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical MLB Power Pros Thread of Super-Deformed Awesome

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GamePnoy74 said:
Loving this game, but I'm stuck on success mode...tried it four times already, cannot even get close to creating an MLB player...so many random events and bad sets of fate cards set me back, as well as my team often being in not-so-great situations during playable games...any tips?

And it sucks you can't fast forward success mode until after you create a successful player =/
For my successful pitchers I've made so far, I find this works out:

- Always try to have 1 Challenge, 1 Marvin, and 1 No fate card at all times. Reload if you ever get stuck with the Lone Wolf attribute which drops you to only 1 total fate card.
- I do nothing but studying (and resting when needed, you can't study if you're tired) until first week of February. You want at least level 1 in Bookworm to pass your finals.
- Starting in February I start training. Typically I will do nothing but train and rest.
- The only dating I do is with the TA math geek girl - seeing her will often raise both Ladies Man and Bookworm. I usually end up with 1 level in Ladies Man and 2 levels of Bookworm at the end of my game.
- When your coach arrives, practice every week if possible, resting only when necessary. This should raise your Coach Eval enough that you make the team and play in the last game of the year.
- This sounds obvious, win your games, especially in the tournament. More games = more experience earned = more chances to improve your Scout Eval.
- Because of the above tip, I almost always take Team Captain - I like having total control in the last 2 innings to try and win the game. If the game sim isn't favorable when it gets to the 8th inning, reload and try again. I can usually pull out a victory if the team isn't losing by more than 3 runs.

So basically, only do enough studying to pass, only date enough to get 1 level in Ladies Man, spend the rest of your time in training. The key to everything will be your Scout Eval rating, raise this as many times as you can through accepting Scout Challenges when the random event appears, and playing as many games as possible. I'm pretty sure Ladies Man helps out this in some way, not sure if it's a multiplier or makes the Scout visit practice more often, but if you're still having problems with the above strategy you may want to try raising Ladies Man more than level 1. I've never had to so far though.

I have to tell you guys about my awesome come-from-behind game.

Braves vs. Cubs

My Braves were up 2-0 against the Cubs, and my pitcher Tim Hudson threw 19 K's (strikeouts). He got tired in the 9th and was giving up extra base hits, so I put in my closer Bob Wickman, with a runner at 2nd with 1 out. Wickman blew the save and it ended up being 3-2.

In the bottom of the ninth, in the bottom of the batting order (8-Thorman, 9-Pitcher spot, 1-Kelly Johnson). I got Thorman on, then I subbed in Matt Diaz for the the pitcher Wickman. He got on, runners at first and second. Kelly Johnson got on, bases loaded. Edgar Renteria strikes out. Then Chipper Jones had a shallow pop fly in the infield. Then Adnrew Jones went up, with 2 outs and 2 strikes, gets a line drive base hit to right field with a walk-off 2 RBI base hit. Thorman and Diaz score. Braves win!

That is the second best come from behind win, second only to my amazing Madden down 28-0 come from behind with a backup quarterback since my main one got hurt Ashamed to say which QB, he's in some hot water right now...:(

XiaNaphryz

19 K's huh? You may want to up the CPU batting difficulty if that's what you typically see... :D

Karakand

So I finally played this for the first time last weekend.

God damn I was having Bottom of the 9th flashbacks. (This is good.)

Karakand said:

Yeah, it was awesome... now quit being poor and buy your own damn copy of the game! Hopefully with practice we wont end up with 1-0 scores again.

XiaNaphryz

Karakand said:

Wasn't that also a Konami release? Wouldn't be surprised if that game shared gameplay code with the Pawapuro series at the time...

Karakand

Yes sir it was. If there was better documentation about it I'd research whether or not it was connected to PP at all, because the pitching and batting felt very similar.

Bot9 also had no MLB license to compliment its MLBPA one. Those were the days!

firex

I'll probably try this game out sometime soon. MLB playoffs are making me want to have a good MLB videogame, and the ps3 version of The Show looks so much better than the ps2 version that I'd have format envy if I bought it.

botticus

I enjoy the baseball part of this game, but damn if the Success Mode didn't piss me off. I figured no matter what happened, they wouldn't just delete 2 hours of work if my guy didn't make it to the minors, right? Nope... my team was worthless so couldn't win a tournament game, scout tells me to shove off, and my lovingly crafted player apparently disappears from my save data. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the scouts recommendation if I had managed to get a hit in the last game, but I'm terrible at hitting, so no luck.

Really making me rethink buying this (playing on a rental) anytime soon. From reading above I guess I could have been saving at various points to revert to, but still awful design.

I know I'm probably making it out to be worse than it is, but that's what happens when you post immediately after the issue.

Torgo

Just an FYI to everyone, I am giving away a brand new copy of the PS2 version of this game on our Podcast. Details in Episode 29 and 30. Entries are due October 18th at Noon CST.

XiaNaphryz

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Should I rent this on the PS2 or the Wii?
Not much difference really. I prefer playing the Wii version with a GC controller, if you prefer the PS2's controller and don't care about the Wiimote-only party modes go with that one. Though I think the Wii version has faster loader times as well.

jman2050

This game is freaking awesome. Success mode is totally awesome and I foresee spending a lot of time making new players. There's a sense of accomplishment too, as immediately after I made my successful pitcher, Marty McFly, he 'signed' with the Yankees in my newly created season. It'll be nice to see how he develops.

Also, the baseball engine is mostly awesome. My only pet peeve right now is fielding, as it seems that the game gives you very little room for error as far as picking ground balls and catching flyouts. It's also a bit difficult keeping up with which fielder I'm currently controlling. Still, besides that, pitching and batting are awesome. I look forward to playing more of this.

Bought this 4 days ago for the Wii and pretty much have been playing it nonstop. I'm letting my created player simmer in the minors while I try to win my first season undefeated
lol at default difficulty settings
. Tons o' fun.

jman2050 said:
Also, the baseball engine is mostly awesome. My only pet peeve right now is fielding

I love using the Classic controller but my gripes about the button settings are: a) you can't use D-pad and Analog stick together; it's either one or the other and b) I really, really wished Konami didn't map the defensive moves "dive," "vertical jump," "throw to cut-off man," and "throw to directed base" all to the same b button, making it pretty context sensitive. My center fielder made a huge error when he dove instead of catching a sacrifice fly--I can laugh now but it irked me at the time.

Okay, I just finished my first month into the season and now I realize that those 100,000 points given in the beginning was my GM war chest for the entire season. I foolishly went bananas on equipment and now I'm still 90,000+ points in the red at the start of May.

Am I royally screwed? How many bonus points do I receive for winning the division, pennant, world series, mvp awards, etc?

This game is so great it's a shame the player ratings weren't fixed up and the commentary horrible. If this game comes out April/May 2008 it would give MLB '08: The Life a fair challenge.

After two tries I finally got my 2B a minor-league deal in success mode! stats forthcoming. :D

jman2050

hockeypuck said:
Okay, I just finished my first month into the season and now I realize that those 100,000 points given in the beginning was my GM war chest for the entire season. I foolishly went bananas on equipment and now I'm still 90,000+ points in the red at the start of May.

Am I royally screwed? How many bonus points do I receive for winning the division, pennant, world series, mvp awards, etc?

division series is 20000, LCS is 20000, and world series is 50000. That should be more than enough to get yourself in the black after the season finished. Just remember to keep your payroll low in the future, so you won't have to worry about losing points during the season.

I started a second season with the Mets (to sim through, as opposed to mostly playing the games like I am in my Yankees season), and am on the third year. I signed my second success mode player (a power hitting shortstop) Peter Star, and he's going to start at 2nd this year because Reyes unexpectedly went bananas and is one of the best players of the year. Hopefully Star develops nicely :)

Of course, as with any baseball game, crazy stuff happens, like when I found out after the fact that El Duque threw a 25K no-hitter against the Nationals XD

Also, I will reiterate: this game is freaking awesome.

mepaco

I'm considering picking this up (Wii version) with the Toys R Us B2G1F deal (this or SSX Blur). A lot of the reviews seem to indicate that tweaking and customizing everything is a big part of the game. If you aren't so much into that stuff, is this game still worth a buy? Success mode sounds fun, but does it still function fine as a pick up and play baseball game if you just want a quick match?

hobart

my life was lost w/o this game.... now it is found. man i've been needing a baseball game like this for a long time. sooo nice.

Jirotrom

question? I'm not a huge sports fan anymore. i don't watch sports like I used to and I haven't played a baseball game seriously since Ken Griffey junior on the SNES. This game intrigues me though. Is it worth a buy?

XiaNaphryz

mepaco said:
I'm considering picking this up (Wii version) with the Toys R Us B2G1F deal (this or SSX Blur). A lot of the reviews seem to indicate that tweaking and customizing everything is a big part of the game. If you aren't so much into that stuff, is this game still worth a buy? Success mode sounds fun, but does it still function fine as a pick up and play baseball game if you just want a quick match?

Definitely. If you can live with the outdated and not-quite-accurate-player-stats in the default rosters, you'll find the Exhibition games pretty fun. The average 9 inning game will take you around 20-30 min.

Jirotrom said:
question? I'm not a huge sports fan anymore. i don't watch sports like I used to and I haven't played a baseball game seriously since Ken Griffey junior on the SNES. This game intrigues me though. Is it worth a buy?

At its price point, the PS2 version is worth it. Whether you want to shell out the extra $10 for the Wii version and its Wiimote party modes and faster load times is up to you.

Jirotrom said:
I haven't followed a non-combat sport since I was 10. This is one of my favorite games of the year, and I've had to force myself to shelve it for awhile cuz I was losing huuuge chunks of time playing it. If you ever enjoyed a baseball game I'd recommend buying it.

Jirotrom

Rummy Bunnz said:
I haven't followed a non-combat sport since I was 10. This is one of my favorite games of the year, and I've had to force myself to shelve it for awhile cuz I was losing huuuge chunks of time playing it. If you ever enjoyed a baseball game I'd recommend buying it.
well the toys r us buy 2 get 1 free deal is making this enticing.

SickBoy

Picked this up the other day.

First of all, I'm not a baseball fan. I would rather watch boring fringe sports than watch Major League Baseball. Pro baseball's popularity has always boggled my mind (if you don't hold that against me, read on). That said, I've never had anything against baseball as a game to play, and that includes videogames.

I've played a couple of games now. It's a lot of fun. Got the Wii version because here in Canada it's $40, while the PS2 version is hard to find and the one place that does seem to have it (EB) has it for $50 (yet they've got the Wii version at $40).

It's clear as day there's all sorts of depth here, much of which I'll never experience. But the controls are simple yet effective, the graphics are perfect (makes total sense for the Wii, and I'd rather see these super-deformed guys with some character as opposed to realistic ball players anyhow), and the gameplay is simply fun.

That said, I have one concern: fielding. First of all, I've obviously got to adjust to the controls... I'm not used to these newfangled fielding/baserunning controls. Second, it's a frustration I've had with baseball games for a long time and I'm curious if there's any solution other than to either let the computer field or just "get better," but I find it difficult to react to a ball after it's been hit -- even if I have a sense of where it's going, I'm not sure which fielder is going to be active, and therefore I don't know where to move.... I also think it's a bit tough to quickly judge a ball's trajectory. I'd rather control my own defenders, but I am concerned I'll be a liability.

Also wondering if difficulty is an issue. I played on the normal difficulty and ran up a lot of hits, beating the Jays 6-2 with the Oakland A's (four-run homer plus a couple of runs an inning or two later)... although I was down 2-0 for much of the game. My other game I played earlier today before I had to head to work... I got hammered because of my crappy fielding skills.

mepaco

XiaNaphryz said:
Definitely. If you can live with the outdated and not-quite-accurate-player-stats in the default rosters, you'll find the Exhibition games pretty fun. The average 9 inning game will take you around 20-30 min.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd be fine with them all being make believe as long as it's fun. Sounds like this is a get. Toys R Us, here I come. Don't have any classic controllers yet ... should I pick up one of those as well or is it fine with Wiimote/Nunchuck?

Torgo

My buddy that bought the Wii version called last night to say that he's selling it to get the PS2 version. The reason, the controller.

He and his kids played my PS2 version, and after that, they hate the Classic Controller, and the waggle has never been liked in that household.

I'm still playing the PS2 version a LOT, and I have a feeling that this is going to stay on the play list for a LONG time. My copy of Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (PS3) should be arriving this week though, so I may have to split my time between the two.

XiaNaphryz

SickBoy said:
Picked this up the other day.

First of all, I'm not a baseball fan. I would rather watch boring fringe sports than watch Major League Baseball. Pro baseball's popularity has always boggled my mind (if you don't hold that against me, read on). That said, I've never had anything against baseball as a game to play, and that includes videogames.

I've played a couple of games now. It's a lot of fun. Got the Wii version because here in Canada it's $40, while the PS2 version is hard to find and the one place that does seem to have it (EB) has it for $50 (yet they've got the Wii version at $40).

It's clear as day there's all sorts of depth here, much of which I'll never experience. But the controls are simple yet effective, the graphics are perfect (makes total sense for the Wii, and I'd rather see these super-deformed guys with some character as opposed to realistic ball players anyhow), and the gameplay is simply fun.

That said, I have one concern: fielding. First of all, I've obviously got to adjust to the controls... I'm not used to these newfangled fielding/baserunning controls. Second, it's a frustration I've had with baseball games for a long time and I'm curious if there's any solution other than to either let the computer field or just "get better," but I find it difficult to react to a ball after it's been hit -- even if I have a sense of where it's going, I'm not sure which fielder is going to be active, and therefore I don't know where to move.... I also think it's a bit tough to quickly judge a ball's trajectory. I'd rather control my own defenders, but I am concerned I'll be a liability.

Also wondering if difficulty is an issue. I played on the normal difficulty and ran up a lot of hits, beating the Jays 6-2 with the Oakland A's (four-run homer plus a couple of runs an inning or two later)... although I was down 2-0 for much of the game. My other game I played earlier today before I had to head to work... I got hammered because of my crappy fielding skills.

You can set fielding to Semi-Auto, which lets the CPU get to the ball but you decide where to throw it.

As for difficulty, you can increase the CPU difficulty in individual areas (pitching, hitting, fielding, baserunning) if you feel like a certain area is too easy through the in-game options menu. Also note that there are multiple different hitting options available: normal (completely manual with no CPU assist), 5 levels of lock-on (5 being highest, default on "Normal" pre-set difficulty is 2), and Best Try (any bat contact is treated as if the sweet-spot of the bat hit the ball). You can also switch between Analog (letting go of the control stick will reset the bat cursor to the middle) and Digital (letting go of the control stick will not affect the current bat cursor location) batting cursor modes.

mepaco said:
Thanks. Yeah, I'd be fine with them all being make believe as long as it's fun. Sounds like this is a get. Toys R Us, here I come. Don't have any classic controllers yet ... should I pick up one of those as well or is it fine with Wiimote/Nunchuck?

I play with the GC controller, but I'd suggest playing with just the wiimote/nunchuck combo for a bit and if it still feels awkward, go ahead and pick up a classic.

XiaNaphryz

Another review is up:

AtomicGamer - 90 (Wii)
Overall, Power Pros is one of the most complete baseball games out there and, provided the super-deformed character looks don't bug you, there's a lot of fun to be had here. This is one of the most “complete” games on the Wii to date – and at only 40 bucks instead of the normal 50 dollar price point.

I've updated the OP with quote snippets from each review as well:

IGN - 8.4/10 (Wii)
The gameplay is arcade-like and simplistic, but still a strong enough balance of pure pitching, fielding, and batting. You aren’t losing the control you get in new MLB games; you’re just loosing the complicated feel of more recent next-generation controls that – quite frankly – don’t need to be there. Baseball doesn’t need guess pitch systems, golf-meter sliding bars, or overly-intricate base running to be good. MLB Power Pros balances simple, classic controls with tons of customization, a fun-loving style, and more bang for your buck than the majority of sports games out there. It’s hands-down the best baseball game on Wii, and a no-brainer for sports fans.
Cheat Code Central - 4.5/5 (Wii)
MLB Power Pros is a great game. From the ultra-engrossing success mode to the unexpectedly deep season mode, there's a lot to love about this game. I'm very proud of 2K for localizing this game and finally bringing this Japanese hit stateside. Sure, it was a risk, but I think it paid off in the form of a unique and memorable sports title. If you give this one a chance, I'm almost certain you will enjoy it.
Gamespy - 4/5 (PS2)
MLB Power Pros is an excellent alternative to the other baseball games on the market, especially friendly to those who aren't very keen on sports but who may enjoy the strategic options that the game offers up. The RPG is delightful to play, and the game's visual style is an excellent way to attract friends to the game who may otherwise want to pass on anything sports-related. After all, who can pass up on watching 'lil Manny Ramirez, or the most adorable Big Papi you've ever seen knocking balls over the fence? There are more in-depth options available, of course, and obviously more impressive-looking games from a technical standpoint. But MLB Power Pros is a lot of fun, and quite accessible. That the game has just enough depth to satisfy a baseball fan's need for stats and realism is just icing on the cake.
GamesRadar - 8/10 (Wii)
As you can tell, this is not your average baseball game. That may be what makes MLB Power Pros such a refreshing change of pace. While hardcore baseball fans may be turned off by its cutesy style, MLB Power Pros is fun, and that's what matters. Give it a swing.
Gameshark - A- (Wii) (Metacritic lists it as a 91/100)
MLB Power Pros is a must-own baseball game. The price is a bargain ($39 for Wii) and you could be playing this game alone all the way to next opening day.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
1up review- 8.5

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163702

"Baseball's biggest surprise this season isn't the Colorado Rockies winning nearly every game they've played down the stretch and in the playoffs -- it's that the best baseball game of the season just came out. MLB 2K7 on Xbox 360 and PS3 looks the part, MLB 07: The Show on PS2 plays it, but MLB Power Pros is a kiddie-styled import that comes out of left field all the way from the Far East and topples the perennial powers. "

XiaNaphryz

schuelma said:
1up review- 8.5

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163702

"Baseball's biggest surprise this season isn't the Colorado Rockies winning nearly every game they've played down the stretch and in the playoffs -- it's that the best baseball game of the season just came out. MLB 2K7 on Xbox 360 and PS3 looks the part, MLB 07: The Show on PS2 plays it, but MLB Power Pros is a kiddie-styled import that comes out of left field all the way from the Far East and topples the perennial powers. "

Same score for the PS2:
1up.com - 8.5/10 (PS2)
There's no question the PS2's sports outlook is bleak; most games are trending toward roster updates as the main addition, leaving the gameplay as is. But MLB Power Pros rallies to make the system briefly relevant again, though we're crossing our fingers this hits the PS3 and 360 next season.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My ability to stop myself from getting this game keeps dwindling. Trying to hold out since there are so many titles to get in November...but I keep weakening.

XiaNaphryz

I'm a bit surprised at the high reviews this has been getting, I was expecting 7s/low 8s from most sites.

mcgarrett

Torgo said:
My buddy that bought the Wii version called last night to say that he's selling it to get the PS2 version. The reason, the controller.

He and his kids played my PS2 version, and after that, they hate the Classic Controller, and the waggle has never been liked in that household.
It plays just fine with the classic controller.

schuelma said:
My ability to stop myself from getting this game keeps dwindling. Trying to hold out since there are so many titles to get in November...but I keep weakening.
Use the Toys R Us sale . . . of course that means buying 3 titles. :lol

XiaNaphryz

speculawyer said:
Use the Toys R Us sale . . . of course that means buying 3 titles. :lol
Getting 2 DS titles at $30 plus the PS2 version of Power Pros will keep your spending to a minimum. ;)

Torgo

mcgarrett said:
It plays just fine with the classic controller.

He was fine with it too until he played with the Dual-Shock. The sticks, in his words, just felt better and are a bit farther apart.

hobart

I tried 2 Toys R Us's to no avail.

Better off... saved me some money... I was prolly gonna go 6 games deep if I did.

jman2050 said:
division series is 20000, LCS is 20000, and world series is 50000. That should be more than enough to get yourself in the black after the season finished. Just remember to keep your payroll low in the future, so you won't have to worry about losing points during the season.

Sweet, thanks for the replies jman2050 and XiaNaphryz. I already unloaded my #1 starter (chronic morale issues), my DH, and star closer (useless on default difficulty), but it's very reassuring to hear that I may actually survive my first year as GM. :D

Time to go sweep the ChiSox at home.

I'm really suprised at some of the ratings for the players. John Maine, who pitched great games for the Mets in the playoffs is a "choke artist"? Oliver Perez a "Groundball pitcher"? And the most offensive one . . . where is the "EXCITING!!! FRUITY FRUITY FRUITY!! OH BAH GAWD SKITTLES!!" rating for Jose Reyes?

XiaNaphryz

Looking at the credits, Konami only had 1 person responsible for tracking player stats for every team in the game. Just 1 person!

At the height of the Pawapuro franchise (around 10 and 11 around 2003/2004), Konami assigned two people PER TEAM to ensure player stats were accurate.

I understand there are way more MLB teams than J-league teams, but come on!

Top Bottom