• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical MLB Power Pros Thread of Super-Deformed Awesome

I put seven consecutive hours into this game when I bought it the other day. Very impressed. Success Mode is far too charming, but it broke my heart
when it ended abruptly in Year 3
. I wasn't anticipating the stat building to be that in-depth, either. Haven't been half this excited about a baseball game since the WSB days on Saturn.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've seen some reports of ridiculously powered players created in Success Mode, such as closers with 102-105 mph fastballs and a 6 rated changeup. Involves a lot of reloading and using gambling tickets and the gambler's ring.

I wonder what their starting salaries would be; my success mode player is only average (slap hitter, durability) but my poor GM had to pony up 2048 points as opposed to the standard 380 to register the greedy bastard.

jman2050

I think I may have gone overboard building my Mets team. Via practice, trading, and success mode player creation (minimal, if any, save/reloading involved), I went 153-9 in my 6th year :lol

Note that I'm simming this season. I have another where I play some of the games, but predictably that's not exactly moving at a brisk pace.

I've got to find information on some of the older games somewhere, since according to impressions I've read many of the early games are even BETTER than this one. Good stuff.

mj1108

Bumping this to let everyone know Best Buy will have this for $20 starting tomorrow for the week of 11/25-12/1.

2058216072_caf42a8421.jpg

Thanks to CAG for the heads up.

scottnak

I revive this thread in the name of awesomeness that is MLB Power Pros.

I'm not usually a fan of sports games... but my love for baseball + sheer boredom of the winter break + post-xmas money = GET!

Lovin' it. Even my brother who isn't even into baseball loves it. And the success mode... even though I failed the first time... (3:30 am!) I still needed to succeed... stayed up until 5 to get a character in. boy was that satisfying. (Though my brother getting it in 1 shot wasn't satisfying for me ...)

Regardless. great game! Can't wait to play more. Heh!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have only been able to produce Minor League characters from Success mode right now :(

scottnak

NetMapel said:
I have only been able to produce Minor League characters from Success mode right now :(
Is there a way to get a char. good enough so that you go above Minor League??
I'm not good at this revive a game dicussion that's a few months old thing. 0/2...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What are the conditions for Annie to appear in Success Mode? Most of the time she does, but I've had a couple of runs where she didn't.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tempy said:
What are the conditions for Annie to appear in Success Mode? Most of the time she does, but I've had a couple of runs where she didn't.
I'm not entirely sure what the conditions are to have her show up.

scottnak said:
Is there a way to get a char. good enough so that you go above Minor League??
I'm not good at this revive a game dicussion that's a few months old thing. 0/2...
Making the minors is actually what you want to do. From that point on you can sign your players to teams in Season mode, where you can further their training and development.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ok I rented this game because of this thread. I play MLB games rarely, but when I do I expect a lot. The important things to me in this genre are: Depth, Presentation, GM mode, and Control. Impressions are based on those premises. (and my basis for comparison is ESPN Baseball 2005 on the PS2). Also, I played using the Classic Controller.

Presentation
I really love the super-deformed characters, but not as much I like just a normal representation. I get the point, too; it allows for more facial expression and an easier suspension of disbelief...neither of which I particularly care about or need in an MLB game. Still, it's not a deal breaker at all and it definitely reminds me of the good ol' days on the NES. Generally, I think its a good looking game, but I have major, major complaint: THE FUCKING MENUS. Holy shit are they convoluted and hard to use. The color contrasts, while nice and bright and consistent with the characters, really makes my eyes hurt. On top of that, the text is impossible to read. As far as the layout, my main complaint is that the layout is distinctly Japanese, with vertical columns and what I perceive to be as backwards layouts on some stuff.

Art: B (don't particularly care but would prefer realistic characters)
Graphics: B (stadiums look excellent)
Menus: D (horribly designed, hard to read, convoluted, and frustrating)
Text: D (slow, not completely skippable, illegible)
Announcing: F (would have been better with none at all)
Overall: C (not completely horrible, but still pretty bad. might stop me from playing.)

Depth / GM Mode
This is a deep ass game. Lots of shit to play with, alter, and upgrade. Perhaps even a little overwhelming. For what appears on the surface as an arcade MLB game, underneath is a very, very deep experience. I love all the different shit you can do: exhibition, league, season, success, GM Mode (w/e it's called), practice, HR derby, and buying baseball cards. A lot of crap to do. So what's my problem? Actually, I love depth, but the depth his hidden by the horrendous menus! Why do I have to do a "player search" when I am starting as a GM and want to do a draft? Why doesn't it pool all the players? Why do I have to minimize the number of players to 99 before players will show up? Why aren't they pre-ranked? My favorite thing in every game is the GM mode and the drafting REALLY pisses me off. I mean, REALLY BAD. Not impossible, but doesn't feel good at all. Why isn't there a big board where you can see what order each team went in? What players have already gone? For every stat that they give you (relevant or otherwise), they make it almost impossible to compare properly. This goes back to the presentation and the menu systems, but man it pisses me off.

The RPG-like qualities are actually very cool...but they should be skippable. COMPLETELY. I don't need a story for me as a GM. I like to make that up in my head. Once I finally got through the horrendous draft process, I was treated to almost 5 minutes of a story about what MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IS. Apparently, ITS A SPORT IN NORTH AMERICA AND HAS TWO MAIN LEAGUES WITH 14 TEAMS IN ONE AND 16 IN THE OTHER. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE KIND FUCKING INSTRUCTION BUT WHY CANT I REALLY SKIP THIS? Oh, just hold down L? NO THANK YOU. I'M PLAYING GM MODE BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT BASEBALL IS. Please, if anybody is listening that is contributing to the sequel: cut that shit out of my baseball game or make it optional. Between the drafting process, the dumbass story, and the fucked up menus, by the time I get to actually "simulate season," I GET ANOTHER STORY ABOUT SOME POINT SYSTEM!!! AARRTRGHHTWTFJESUSFUCHS!!

I have zero doubt in my mind that there are people out there that would consider this god's gift to the baseball mind, but for me, holy jesus above, I can't kill this thing quick enough. I feel like I'm playing something that isn't really meant for me, like watching a movie full of cultural in-jokes that has been somewhat mistranslated into my current language. Not sure wtf is going on here.

Back to depth, though. It's deep, just so frustratingly convoluted with things I don't want in my MLB game that I never really have the desire to go any further and really test that depth. I never got past the May in GM mode, and its why I rented the game. Pretty disappointed.

Control/Gameplay
Ah, but MLB isn't MLB w/o pitching and batting, right?! I'm actually thoroughly impressed by the control in this game and have few complaints. I like the pitching setup, but am finding the control stick on the CC to not be exactly right. I also wish they would utilize the control pad for quicker pitch selection. I love the cursor-battle between the pitcher/batter (similar to 2k games in the past). Disappointed that a pitch count isn't readily viewable (anybody ever see it in game?).

I LOVE the batting, even if it feels a little easy (I know this can be changed). I really like moving the bat up and down and trying to chase the ball and have fun doing so. I got so good at it that I almost swing at every first pitch (knowing full well that this is against everything I hold dear in my MLB-strategic mind). The fielding is fine and is old school. As somebody else in this thread noted, the fielders feel VERY slow. Not sure why, it just doesn't feel exactly right. It might be the lack of legs, or they might actually be slow.

I'm extremely pleased they didn't make this "Wii Sports Baseball with Teams and Fielding" on the control front.

Overall
This is a game meant for hardcore (Japanese) MLB fans and it shows. Its very deep, has tons of modes, and a myriad of things to do other than actually play baseball. The control and actual play is top notch and could be used as a model for other games, with some slight tweaks to fielding and a couple better visual cues in place. Players that enjoy a little story will really LOVE this game. Lots to read, nice stories that fill in the gaps between games and practices. Guys that don't want this at all will be friggin pissed. The GM mode seems pretty deep but I simply don't have the patience because of the one thing that brings this game down: presentation. For me, it makes it unplayable outside of exhibition games...and I really just want to draft a fresh team for my pathetic (but rising!) Royals. The draft, the menus, the text, and the story are all horrible and detract from my personal experience.

All of that said, I KNOW some people will love this game; it's a great baseball game with some quirks and an appeal outside of what standard-fare MLB games will give. This just isn't for me at all. :|

(and it has nothing to do with the super-deformed characters--I love 'em)

Sinn Fein

Great thread!

Are there any other resources out there for this game? I haven't found much, was reading at japanesebaseball.com as well.

I'm really intrigued by Pro Yakyu Spirits as well with the new one coming out soon on ps3. I'd never get through the language barrier on that though and I don't see any chance of it coming here.

I just got MLB Power Pros this weekend and love it already. The visuals are much cleaner than I expected. It's totally great. So many options.

Stats may be pretty screwed as has been said, but I'm not sure I really notice. Any save files out there people have edited?

I'm really curious what options everyone are using for batting, pitching, etc. I started off just with the normal presets. I'm doing pretty much everything manually.

With batting I also experimented with the digital/analog setting and I believe I prefer digital. I guess it makes it a little harder? Not sure, but the analog setting is pretty spastic.

Also, I just switched from Lock-on 2 to Manual for sweetspot cursor and it seems to have made a big difference. I'm have much more trouble getting on base and I hit a lot of fouls. I didn't feel any different in control.

I haven't played with pitching options too much. What do advanced players use? I guess you can turn everything off, like the strike zone, pitch indicator, pitch selector, etc. It must be tough with the pitch indicator off. I'll have to play around.

I turned the catch indicator off for awhile and was having a tough time making some catches.

Also, is there any different between trying to making diving catches with square or X, or other buttons?

Haven't touched Success or Season yet. I'm interested if anyone else is still playing.

botticus

DeceitDecide said:
Marked down you say? Where? How much? Which SKU?
EB/GS has knocked both down $10. $30 for Wii, $20 for PS2. I don't see that price reflected anywhere else, though.

Somehow my three month-old purchase on sale at $17.99 for the Wii version has remained a good deal!

Top Bottom