• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NeoGAF corporation Eve-Online thread

JoeMartin

fallout said:
I love salvaging. I've basically got things setup where I go in with my Kestrel, kill everything, loot whatever I can, then come back with my Condor and go from wreck to wreck salvaging. I just made a pretty easy 400k ISK.

It's such easy money for noobs.

Coercer is easily the most noob-awesome ship. 8 fucking high slots is amazing. Load up 6 turrets and 2 salvagers. Run agent-provided missions, destroy all the rats in a single volley of fire each, salvage, rake in millions.

Ferrio

Banned
Ok i did the 2 missions in the tutorial, if I ask the person for another mission they say they don't have one.

Didn't I get a new ship?

Grayman

They should have refered you to a second agent who gives a 10 part series of missions

for fighters you get it after mission 3, i think it is mission four for miners(most of the missions aren't even mining)

Grayman

I noticed a definite shield advantage in the earlier missions. I can't remember if I could put missiles on the ibus or not. Missiles will let you wipe out your targets in a single shot at very long ranges in early missions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So I'm guessing you can't queue skill training? I suppose the best thing to do when away from the game is to set a skill to train that takes a reasonably long time?

"So I'm guessing you can't queue skill training? I suppose the best thing to do when away from the game is to set a skill to train that takes a reasonably long time?"

Yup. Do skills with a short training time while online, longer ones while offline.

Grayman

My internet was down all night so I didn't get to make a new fighter character :(

Attributes only matter for training, so is just spreading them out a valid character choice?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Initial investment/set-up costs for NeoGAF corp now recouped.

Tax rate lowered to cover office rent only: 2.5%

GONZO

So how viable are covert ops ships for soloing or exploration? I'm seriously considering going that training route. I'm currently ina hyperion but I'm looking to trade for something smaller and faster. And get more into exploration. Any opinions?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Utterly viable for exploration.

I wouldn't bother exploring without my cov-ops frigate to be honest, I love it. (Helios)

And it makes for a great solo scouting ship.

Just don't expect to fit any combat items on it. :p

GONZO

The cruise missiles bonus's would lead me to believe that it can deal a good amount of damage. I'm going for it, thanks for the feedback. I'm also looking at a helios. Also, how much do we need to buy our own station?

besada

Banned
So, I bought myself a Navitas last night, which has about twice the cargo space for me. What kind of equipment are salvage units listed as? My defenses are such now that I can literally ignore the Serpentis Agents while mining if I want, but salvage seems a more sensible pathway.

Also, Can you buy targeting systems for rail guns? And can you use heavy rounds in a small railgun?

Edit: Of course if any Gaffer needs me to haul a cargo, just hit me on the channel.

Second Edit: Yay for reduced taxes! All hail Vennt!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
GONZO said:
The cruise missiles bonus's would lead me to believe that it can deal a good amount of damage. I'm going for it, thanks for the feedback. I'm also looking at a helios. Also, how much do we need to buy our own station?

Ahh, yeah, forgot about the "stealth bomber" (The 'other' cov-ops ship) - with a stealth bomber set-up the idea is to open with a devastating attack (aka Alpha strike) - if your initial strike doesn't kill the target then either some one else has to help with the kill to finish, or your finished, not ideal for a solo player unless you're positive you can kill the target in one quick attack.

Bear in mind that you can't use a cloak when targeted, so some ECM skills are a good idea too.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
besada said:
So, I bought myself a Navitas last night, which has about twice the cargo space for me. What kind of equipment are salvage units listed as? My defenses are such now that I can literally ignore the Serpentis Agents while mining if I want, but salvage seems a more sensible pathway.

Use the "search" tab on the market for "salvager".

Also, Can you buy targeting systems for rail guns? And can you use heavy rounds in a small railgun?

You can get auto-targeting systems, but personally I think it'd be a waste of a slot. And no, you can't use ammo larger or smaller than the gun you're using. (has to be small for smalls, med for meds and so on.)

PatzCU

So when I made my character, I went for Business/Entreprenuer/Trader. It seems like the missions are setting me up to be a salvager of some sort based on the add-ons they keep giving me for my ship (and a frigate with a huge cargo bay). It also seems people say salvaging is a good route to go for making money.

Can anyone describe exactly what salvaging is? Is it taking ships out and then picking up what they leave behind or something completely different? I like the idea of being able to haul a massive amount of stuff, so I was curious if this could fit in with "Salvaging".

Anyway, any clarification would be great as this game has a massive learning curve.

BTW, loving this game!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PatzCU said:
So when I made my character, I went for Business/Entreprenuer/Trader. It seems like the missions are setting me up to be a salvager of some sort based on the add-ons they keep giving me for my ship (and a frigate with a huge cargo bay). It also seems people say salvaging is a good route to go for making money.

Can anyone describe exactly what salvaging is? Is it taking ships out and then picking up what they leave behind or something completely different? I like the idea of being able to haul a massive amount of stuff, so I was curious if this could fit in with "Salvaging".

Anyway, any clarification would be great as this game has a massive learning curve.

BTW, loving this game!
Salvaging is a skill. It requires level 3 survey which in turn requires level 3 electronics. Once its trained you can equip salvagers. Salvagers have a range of 5000 and use a tier three slot, some CPU and almost no Power. Salvaged items take up very little space in your cargohold.

When you find a wreck, you target it, and then activate any sakvagers you have. They will repeatedly look for things to salvage until they A) Find something or B) Determine it is salvageable. Should they fail, they'll retry automatically. You can increase the success rate of your salvagers by training Salvaging. Once they finish, the wreck will disappear and all savlaged items will automatically enter your cargo. The wreck will also leave behind a cargo container which holds whatever the wreck had before you salvaged it.

Basically, this means you can stampede through deadspace. Loot everything, then come back with your salvaging ship (or just use salvagers equipped on your main ship) and loot everything again. Since it works on all wrecks, regardless of whether or not they yielded cargo, it is pretty much a guaranteed money source. Think of it as a secondary job.

Eric P

i'm reading descriptions of this game and the thread, is the whole game essentially grinding?

like is there any point where you're actually playing?

fallout

Eric P said:
i'm reading descriptions of this game and the thread, is the whole game essentially grinding?
Heh, every game is really nothing but grinding. It just depends on what you find entertaining! Anyway, I'm completely new to EVE, but the only real "grind" I can see is making money, and I find that aspect of the game to be particularly interesting. For now, the solo stuff is keeping me occupied, but after playing other online games and MMOs, I know that getting in with a good group of people to complete a goal is the best way to enjoy the experience. For that reason, I'm hoping that the GAF Corp can go places.

like is there any point where you're actually playing?
Define "point". I mean, it's an MMO. The only point is to experience the game and interact with the community. The goals that would be clearly defined in other games are now simply: "What level do you want to take that experience and interaction to, and how do you want to go about that?"

For me, the main thing that interests me in the game is PvP. Yes, I know it'll be expensive, but I'm willing to deal with that because I think it'll be enjoyable. And the expensive part of it is what adds to it all, anyway. Real consequences for getting into a fight with someone.

Buggy Loop

Vennt said:
Utterly viable for exploration.

I wouldn't bother exploring without my cov-ops frigate to be honest, I love it. (Helios)

And it makes for a great solo scouting ship.

Just don't expect to fit any combat items on it. :p

Cool i guess, if things get better with gaf corp, lets raise it back to an higher level so you can make a station or something :)

PatzCU

While I agree EVE seems to be like a lot of grinding, this is basically the first MMO I've played where you can "level" and be successful doing whatever you want to do. Unlike a game like WoW, where if you decided, "Hey, I want to be a miner and excel my character that way". Well that's great, but you can't do that in WoW, you must level and you must grind instances or PvP for good gear.

In EVE (from what I've played so far), you can actually progress your character to the end game doing whatever you find most interesting whether that be playing the market, finding rare minerals, or obliterating pirates.

It's a nice change of pace for me to say the least.

Buggy Loop

Only grind in EvE is money.

You could technically skip the tutorial, go to any base, place market orders in the low prices, sell high, and build a fortune that way without ever leaving the comfort of that base, all the while you learn skills in the background which requires you doing.. nothing nor killing anything. And leave the base a few months later in a freaking behemoth of a ship with a few billions to spare.

We must not have the same definitions of grinding cause i dont know any other MMO that allows you to advance very far without killing a bazillion critters with a stupid XP bar.

Vennt said:
Initial investment/set-up costs for NeoGAF corp now recouped.

Tax rate lowered to cover office rent only: 2.5%
Good stuff.
Are these taxes automatically deducted form your earnings?

Almost Thursday .. can't friggin' wait to get in.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone tell me what to do with this annoying problem. I'm in the star map but I can't see crap (usually you see a 3d representation of the universe). All I see is this:

map_messed.jpg

I try to move the camera but nothing happens.

Aw man, I got ganked :(, there goes most of my stuff. It's not the money amount that hurts, most of the stuff I had could only be bought 15+ jumps away.

Ferrio

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Aw man, I got ganked :(, there goes most of my stuff. It's not the money amount that hurts, most of the stuff I had could only be bought 15+ jumps away.

What were you in?

Ferrio said:
What were you in?
.2 space, the guy asked me to join his fleet. I didn't really understand what that meant, so I just left it alone. A few minutes later he starts attacking me , by the time I noticed my warp drive was jammed :(. Pretty lame, not like he'd get any money out of it. I had only cheap stuff on board.

Edit: did you mean ship? I was in the highest weight cap. frigate I forget it's name.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks, but it doesn't take long to bounce back, Eve is harsh, the earlier that lesson is learnt, the cheaper the lesson *is*.

Eve players tend to recite a golden rule, that serves well:

"Don't fly a ship you cannot afford to lose"

This means making sure it's insured (to lessen the blow when the inevitable happens), making sure you keep a reserve of ISK at all times (I personally never spend more than 50% of my total wallet.

I lost two Myrmidon's last week, at a total ISK loss of 88 million ISK, but it's part of the game, there are corporations at war out there that are losing billions weekly, hell there are alliances that are able to lose a 1000 billion ISK in a single fleet fight :p

InsertCredit said:
Good stuff.
Are these taxes automatically deducted form your earnings?

Almost Thursday .. can't friggin' wait to get in.

Corp tax is only deducted from the bounties you receive from killing NPC's in missions and from the mission reward for completing, nothing else, and they are also NOT taken from the early finish bonus you get for finishing missions within the time needed for the bonus.

JoeMartin

Buggy Loop said:
Only grind in EvE is money.

You could technically skip the tutorial, go to any base, place market orders in the low prices, sell high, and build a fortune that way without ever leaving the comfort of that base, all the while you learn skills in the background which requires you doing.. nothing nor killing anything. And leave the base a few months later in a freaking behemoth of a ship with a few billions to spare.

We must not have the same definitions of grinding cause i dont know any other MMO that allows you to advance very far without killing a bazillion critters with a stupid XP bar.

You need to knock out some serious economic skills before you can do long distance trading though, but yeah, that's definitely a route for getting rich.

I remember I found two stations, one jump away from each other, one was selling some frigate for 180k, the other was buying the same frigate for 700k. Made a few quick dirty million off of that.

Not the same execution, but the same idea. =P

See you guys when Trinity hits.

"So what would be the goal of or corporation? Could we even have one with so few?"

Right now it's just to all play together and have people to talk with. We've apparently got a spot lined up in a small 0.0 sec alliance if we choose to go deep into the game. Once people come to grips with the game we could try some low-sec mining ops together or maybe some complexes. Dunno, we'll see how things go!

"It's only been 3 hours."

That's a long ass 3 hours :(.

Grayman

Luckily this downtime lines up with when I have school work and other things to do :lol

Eve is really reminding me of asheron's call. Set on autopilot and read the web while talking in corp chat. Except in Eve I don't need an alarm for admins looking to ban me!

Speaking of alarms is there a way to setup noises based on ships showing up? I know a real space ship would have an alarm for pirates.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Should have taken a screenshot of my ship 'before' to compare with 'after'. Can't wait for Trinity.

Any chance they'll be finished before the scheduled time?

"Should have taken a screenshot of my ship 'before' to compare with 'after'. Can't wait for Trinity.

Any chance they'll be finished before the scheduled time?"

There's 2 versions of the client. There'll be the classic client which is the same graphics now and the Premium one that has the new engine.

Grayman

gofreak said:
Should have taken a screenshot of my ship 'before' to compare with 'after'. Can't wait for Trinity.

Any chance they'll be finished before the scheduled time?
Evemon kept telling me that the server had come up but the client wasn't compatable. There is a webpage you get to by clicking patch in the launcher to find out the latest news

Buggy Loop

Teknopathetic said:
There's 2 versions of the client. There'll be the classic client which is the same graphics now and the Premium one that has the new engine.

Do we have to be a subscriber to have the premium client or trial users can also take a look?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teknopathetic said:

Ah, cool. It'll be interesting to compare, but something tells me I won't spend too much more time with the classic client.

"Do we have to be a subscriber to have the premium client or trial users can also take a look?"

I'd imagine the trial members would also be able to use the premium client. Would be dumb to have this newfangled graphics engine and force Trial members (the people you're trying to hook) to use the old graphics :p.

GONZO

Server should be up around 7pm EST. Can't wait. I only hope that my laptop can run the new client. Since that's my main eve machine, could be a good excuse to get a nice monster laptop. hehe.

I'm thinking about coming back. All the times I played eve I never really got involved in the corps, I think thats why I sorta got lost in what I should be doing. If I recall I was doing npc trade missions to get patterns or something.

Eric P

fallout said:
Heh, every game is really nothing but grinding. It just depends on what you find entertaining! Anyway, I'm completely new to EVE, but the only real "grind" I can see is making money, and I find that aspect of the game to be particularly interesting. For now, the solo stuff is keeping me occupied, but after playing other online games and MMOs, I know that getting in with a good group of people to complete a goal is the best way to enjoy the experience. For that reason, I'm hoping that the GAF Corp can go places.

Define "point". I mean, it's an MMO. The only point is to experience the game and interact with the community. The goals that would be clearly defined in other games are now simply: "What level do you want to take that experience and interaction to, and how do you want to go about that?"

For me, the main thing that interests me in the game is PvP. Yes, I know it'll be expensive, but I'm willing to deal with that because I think it'll be enjoyable. And the expensive part of it is what adds to it all, anyway. Real consequences for getting into a fight with someone.

i'm sorry, i meant to say "farming" not grinding. it just reads like a lot of the bits i hate.

i'm still going to check out the new patches and stuff because i'm interested, but i'm worried it will be more like FFXI instead of like WoW. i'm not afraid to admit that i'm totally casual right now because of my schedule

100% complete opposite of FFXI if only because you don't *need* to group to do shit. Also, it's possible to log in do a mission or two or mine for a short bit, or just do a quick hauling contract or whatever and log out. Since skills train whether you're offline or off, you don't *really* have to dedicate much time/attention to it unless you want to.

PatzCU

Has anyone system requirements for Trinity?

I'm sitting at:

6600GT
AMD 3500+
1 gig RAM

I want to be able to run it at 1680x1050... I can't imagine it will be too intense just because its a bunch of models floating around. Can't wait to get back to playing! I applied for NeoGAF corp about 3 minutes before the server imploded.

Top Bottom