• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of the Inaugural CitiField September Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubs

This Braves offense will probably grind to a screeching halt against Lincecum tomorrow, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this. :D

h3ro

h3ro said:
Alex up with the bases juiced....

*crosses fingers*

A-Rod.jpg

LJ11 said:
What about his whole "I want to win with the farm," when guys like Davis, Havens, Flores, Marte are a couple of years away, if they pan out at all. Sorry Omar, you can't with our farm because no position players are ready yet. Martinez is the closest and he still needs more AB's at the minor league level. That's the knock on the farm Omar, no one (maybe Holt/Niese are the exception) is ready for prime time for a couple of years.
Pelfrey is up, and they traded alot of guys for Santana. Upper echelon guys aren't here and Milledge turned into Schneider/Francoeur. Murphy is learning on the fly, Carp is in Seattle (?) and the only guy you really could've said you needed now.
Edit: Perez's fastball has averaged 90, 90, 91, before this season Frank.
Averaged, sure. But he could also hit 94-96 before, he hasn't sniffed 94 yet this year.

LJ11

Dude, does it matter how hard he throws when he can't get it over the plate anyway. Fuck I'll be happy if sits at 91 the entire game if he throws strikes.

NomarTyme

Fatalah said:
It's so funny. We yell at Torre, yet he consistently gets his players to outperform expectations. I think we should just let the man do his job. You'd think the Yankees would have figured that out after 12 years of success. Let the man do his job.
Just questioning his bullpen management. Which he manage to destroyed some of our relievers arms by over working them.

clemenx

Banned
I enjoy most of Viper's gifs :lol

Lol Mets, i did not wanted to see this after a shitty day, should have known that Oliver was starting.

NomarTyme said:
Just questioning his bullpen management. Which he manage to destroyed some of our relievers arms by over working them.
Never question Torre getting guys some work in.
clemenx said:
Lol Mets, i did not wanted to see this after a shitty day, should have known that Oliver was starting.
In fairness Francoeur cost him 2 runs but yeah, walks kill.

LJ11

Yeah, shitty outfield D and the gimp's lack of range were a factor, but the walks that didn't hurt him in Atlanta hurt him tonight.

Y2Kev said:

:lol

Edit: They rocked him pretty good in one start last year, but he's been pretty good against us his last two outings.

McNei1y said:
John Lannan with his second complete game. Hes been close to 3 this year

Hell Yea, a bright spot for the Nationals.

He's a good pitcher and I give him props, but seriously, look at the other side of the dugout and see who he had to face.

McNei1y

Jazzy Network said:
He's a good pitcher and I give him props, but seriously, look at the other side of the dugout and see who he had to face.

:lol I know I know. But I can at least feel a little joy. Atleast I know people arent directing exactly what you said towards the Nationals for once.

clemenx

Banned
Both Zimmermans have been the bright spot in the Nats!

LOL a 1 K CG, good thing my internet is shitty today and couldn't load the game on MLB TV.

McNei1y

clemenx said:
Both Zimmermans have been the bright spot in the Nats!

LOL a 1 K CG, good thing my internet is shitty today and couldn't load the game on MLB TV.

Just like the rest of the nats pitchers, Lannans more of a finesse pitcher. He relies on ground balls put outs.

Doytch

Fuck this team so much. What a shitshow. Next year opening day roster, I want Arencibia, Dopirak, Snider, Lind, Randy Ruiz and Buck fucking Coats. Make it happen, blow it up.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well, after last night's epic fucking chokefest in Oakland, Gardenhire came to his senses and put Mauer (.437/.485/.759 in 24 games when hitting 2nd) back in the 2 hole tonight , after farting around with Harris, Casilla, Tolbert and even Nick Fucking Punto for a game, for the rest of the season while they put up a combined line of .194/.261/.258.

Then, as if to wipe away all the goodwill he got with this gesture by starting Casilla at 2nd (.172/.237/.211) and Punto at short (.209/.326/.251) while Brendan Harris, who isn't great but is a significant improvement over those two, rides the pine. Now let's be honest, we have fucking nil for middle infielders both in the major league club and in the farm system. Yet we leave the one guy who's at least playing at replacement level on the fucking bench.

We have an extremely flawed team. Our pitching staff is inconsistent, outside of Nathan and Guerrier (who's arm is due to fall off sometime soon as he pitches nearly every other night) we have no one in our pen who can consistently get people out, and we have about three automatic outs in our lineup on any given night.

Yet, our manager is too bullheaded to get over his ideas about lineup construction ("2 hole has to be a speedy, light hitting utility infielder") or bullpen usage ("our closer, and best pitcher, should only pitch in save situations") to work around those things. The fact that our team has been as competitive as they have given the motley crew of retreads and washed up veterans we've trotted out there year after year is certainly good but this team can't fucking put anyone away, and they're doomed to be always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

The front office has known for two seasons that we need bullpen help and yet here we are with 4 long relievers in our bullpen. We know the infield is weak so what do we do? We trade away our good starting shortstop in the '08 offseason, then this year instead of making a splash, we resign fucking Punto for far more than he's worth, and far more than other BETTER options to play short. And the only player in the middle infield worth a damn, Harris, was nearly fucking left in AAA at the start of the season for Tolbert. It's just maddening.

Gardenhire needs to get over himself and put his best fucking lineup out there. The front office needs to give him some fucking pieces to work with. There were some rumblings recently that Mauer wants to win, and that's more important to him than the money when his contract discussions are underway. If this team doesn't resign Mauer, they're completely hosed. The fans will burn Target Field to the ground. Morneau has said if we lose Mauer, he's going to leave in FA.

So Bill Smith, fucking do something. Don't sit on your hands and give us that same bullshit fucking line about "nothing matching up" that we have heard the last 5 or 6 trading deadlines. You pulled that fucking shit this offseason, watched all the good relievers get signed, and then got Luis Ayala. You hesitated to sign any Type A free agents yet they were cheap and boy, wouldn't Orlando Hudson look good at fucking 2nd base instead of the shell of Alexei Casilla.

Whatever, the same shit will happen. We'll make another token signing like Grudzielanek, end the season a couple games back in the division, and then look around and go "huh, what happened?"

Fuck me. If they piss around and lose Mauer I am 100% done with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom