• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2006 keynote thread

McFly

Boards of Canada said:
Only 40% is huge... Do not buy a Mac Pro until CS3 is out. Let's not forget CS2, Quark, and other apps are buggy under Rosetta. CS2 does crash, and it will often especially when fonts are involved.

What I heard is that most Rosetta problems have to do with a limited amount of RAM, so give your Mac Pro at least 2GB and it should do a fine job. And 40% isn't huge if you come from a 1.8GHz dual G5 that is multiple times slower than the Quad G5. :lol

Fredi

rubso

Banned
McFly said:
For all Photoshop users, don't worry about the performance of Photoshop under Rosetta, the Quad G5 is only 37% faster than the 2.66 GHz Mac Pro and even less (20%) if you're an After Effects user!

http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html

q6-mp.png

Impressive! (Both, the Mac Pro and Rosetta)

Fredi
how come that Rosetta could run Photoshop while you can't do it in other Intel-Macs? >.>

White Man

yahso said:
how come that Rosetta could run Photoshop while you can't do it in other Intel-Macs? >.>

The other intel macs can run photoshop. Just not very well. Both my Intel Macs have 2 gigs of RAM, and photoshop performance is still unacceptable for professional use.

rubso

Banned
White Man said:
The other intel macs can run photoshop. Just not very well. Both my Intel Macs have 2 gigs of RAM, and photoshop performance is still unacceptable for professional use.
i'm wondering if Adobe is going to release a universal binary for the next photoshop?

Just for the heck of it, I added all the top of the line options to see how much it would cost. One plus, Apple we ship it for free. Man, I wish I could afford this setup.

Summary

Subtotal $16,834.00

Estimated Ship:
2-4 weeks
Free Shipping
Click "Update Details" to reflect changes to system price and shipping.

Specifications

* Two 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 16GB (8 x 2GB)
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
* 2 x SuperDrives
* Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
* Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

So two 3GHz Dual-Core processors, 16GB of ram, 2 terabytes of storage space, NVIDA Super-Duper GPU card, two 30" HD displays, and 2 Superdrives.

Drool

Juice

sportzhead said:
Just for the heck of it, I added all the top of the line options to see how much it would cost. One plus, Apple we ship it for free. Man, I wish I could afford this setup.

So two 3GHz Dual-Core processors, 16GB of ram, 2 terabytes of storage space, NVIDA Super-Duper GPU card, two 30" HD displays, and a 2x Superdrive.

Drool

Damn. If I had a spare 16 g's, I'd be so down for that right about now.

Too bad I'm a goddamn college student.

McFly said:
What I heard is that most Rosetta problems have to do with a limited amount of RAM, so give your Mac Pro at least 2GB and it should do a fine job. And 40% isn't huge if you come from a 1.8GHz dual G5 that is multiple times slower than the Quad G5. :lol

Fredi
I have 2GB and it is buggy as hell.

P.S. Love my 30" Cinema Display :p I will be buying a Mac Pro next year.

McFly

Damn, I thought Rosetta works better. Guess there's just too much assempler stuff in Photoshop. Sadly I haven't got an Intel Mac till now to test it on my own.

Anyway, I will get the Mac Pro and my G5 will have to stay at the office for now.

Fredi

aaaaa0

Boards of Canada said:
I've only used a few backup apps in my lifetime, but the ones that I used were cumbersome compared to this. Is there a backup program where you can go back in a timeline and see multiple revisions to a folder on Windows?

That's UI stuff. Yes, the Apple UI is awesome.

Vista has both "Previous Versions" and a backup app that lets you go back and look at different versions of a folder. It's just not as pretty. Just pick any folder, right click, go to Properties, and pick "Previous Versions". A list of dates will pop-up, pick one, and click Open. An explorer Windows with that version of the folder should open.

A backup app for Outlook contacts that lets you restore one contact from 3 weeks ago?

That's not possible for the backup app to do alone without cooperation from Outlook, since the backup app has no idea what the internal format of Outlook contacts are. And for that matter, it doesn't know what the internal format of the contacts are for Thunderbird, Eudora, or whatever random email app you might be using.

You can however browse back through time with the built-in Windows Contacts manager through both Previous Versions and the backup app. Just right click the Contacts Folder and pick "Previous Versions".

If there isn't, why not "start the photocopiers" and create a Time Machine clone. While the technology is relatively the same (Shadow Copy), the implementation on Apple's side just makes more sense.

You mean the UI? Yes the Apple UI is really nice (Apple is generally really good at that kind of thing), but the fundemental underlying features are there on Vista.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I realize Paul Thurrot is going off of the preview, but what?

1. 64-bit application support
Thanks to the 64-bit Xeon chip that will be shipping in the new Mac Pro systems, Leopard will be fully 64-bit enabled (unlike Tiger, which is only partially 64-bit and then only on certain Power PC systems). That means that OS X will finally do what Windows XP x64 Edition did last year: Run 32-bit and 64-bit applications natively, side-by-side. Good for them.

This is not a new feature in Leopard... it's been in since the G5 Powermacs came out.

4. Spaces
Another truly major new feature, Spaces lets you utilize multiple desktops, each of which can contain its own set of application. Multiple desktops have been around for decades, and even the earliest Linux versions had this feature. Microsoft even implemented it in NT-based versions of Windows, though the company curiously never made it easy to access this functionality until it shipped a free PowerToy for Windows, called Virtual Desktop Manager, in 2001. It works an awful lot like Spaces, frankly, though Apple's version is obviously more polished and, well, Apple-like.

He's comparing a built in OS feature to something added on? Bottom line is Leopard is the first major Desktop OS to have multiple desktops out of the box.

5. Spotlight
Apple's version of Windows Search will now search other Mac clients and workgroup servers, functionality that Microsoft will add to Windows Vista with the release of Vista SP1 and Longhorn Server in late 2007. It will also support advanced search features, like better search syntax, just like Windows Search. And, as with Windows Vista, you'll be able to launch applications and find recent items with Spotlight. Gee, Spotlight still seems an awful lot like Windows Search.

Perhaps, but as he mentions in the article in an earlier paragraph, Tiger has been shipping for over a year, Vista is STILL not out yet.

6. Core Animation
A low-level graphics technology aimed at developers, Core Animation will usher in a new generation of graphically animated application. Time Machine's hokey effects were designed with Core Animation, but I'm hopeful that other developers will do something cool with it (Apple did show off a gorgeous screensaver it created with the library). The end result is that Core Animation will not directly effect end users in Leopard until developers take advantage of it. Clearly, it was thrown out as a bone to the developer-heavy crowd.

Features like this are why even when Vista is released it will not look as polished as the Mac OS.

Paul Thurrot takes great pains to say he likes Apple but then makes a lot of outlandish or foolish claims about them and refuses to give them credit where deserved. He said he preferred the way Windows handled dual booting to the Mac for God's sake!

Apple can mock MS for copying because they have not released any major OS update in 5 years. SP1 and 2 are NOT major updates.

shantyman said:
Apple can mock MS for copying because they have not released any major OS update in 5 years. SP1 and 2 are NOT major updates.

Maybe if they gave SP1 and SP2 cute codenames and charged $150 each for them they would be?

aaaaa0 said:
Just pick any folder, right click, go to Properties, and pick "Previous Versions". A list of dates will pop-up, pick one, and click Open. An explorer Windows with that version of the folder should open.

Your process seems pretty straight forward if you know the name of the file in question, the folder it existed in (and still exists for you to right click on) and the date you want.

Just wondering if you were looking for a file that you only know the partial name of and had no idea of which folder it was in or when it last existed - how would you find that?

shantyman said:
Paul Thurrot takes great pains to say he likes Apple but then makes a lot of outlandish or foolish claims about them and refuses to give them credit where deserved. He said he preferred the way Windows handled dual booting to the Mac for God's sake!

Paul seems to think that all those version of Windows he listed come from the same team which isn't the case.

It would be interesting to see how big the Vista team is c.f. Leopard's team.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
_leech_ said:
Maybe if they gave SP1 and SP2 cute codenames and charged $150 each for them they would be?

Maybe you should have said something that did not expose your ignnorance of the situation to make your point.

Tiger had more new features over 10.3 than Vista does. I know from experience.

aaaaa0

monkeymagic said:
Your process seems pretty straight forward if you know the name of the file in question, the folder it existed in (and still exists for you to right click on) and the date you want.

Just wondering if you were looking for a file that you only know the partial name of and had no idea of which folder it was in or when it last existed - how would you find that?

There's a search feature in the file backup app where you can type a partial name in and it will find it for you in any of your backups.

How does Time Machine handle this case?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
_leech_ said:
Like how Microsoft released 95(4.0), 98(4.10.1998), 98SE(4.10.2222), and ME(4.90) and charged full price for all of them? They still charge $200/300 for Windows NT 5.1, as well as full price for NT 5.2 on servers.

Don't let version numbering quirks confuse you. Just because Apple has yet to increment the major version number of 10 doesn't mean the updates are minor(even if it's arguable for the comparison I just made). Hell, the linux kernel hit 2.0 in 1996 and the current version is 2.6.

aaaaa0

shantyman said:
6. Core Animation
A low-level graphics technology aimed at developers, Core Animation will usher in a new generation of graphically animated application. Time Machine's hokey effects were designed with Core Animation, but I'm hopeful that other developers will do something cool with it (Apple did show off a gorgeous screensaver it created with the library). The end result is that Core Animation will not directly effect end users in Leopard until developers take advantage of it. Clearly, it was thrown out as a bone to the developer-heavy crowd.

Features like this are why even when Vista is released it will not look as polished as the Mac OS.

Isn't this what WPF is for?

rubso

Banned
Hitokage said:
Like how Microsoft released 95(4.0), 98(4.10.1998), 98SE(4.10.2222), and ME(4.90) and charged full price for all of them? They still charge $200/300 for Windows NT 5.1, as well as full price for NT 5.2 on servers.

Don't let version numbering quirks confuse you. Just because Apple has yet to increment the major version number of 10 doesn't mean the updates are minor(even if it's arguable for the comparison I just made). Hell, the linux kernel hit 2.0 in 1996 and the current version is 2.6.
btw, Linux Enterprise distros, such as Redhat and SuSE, charges about 120$ for the service they offer every year, and they charges about 50$ on the service packs they release..

gigapower

Jill Sandwich said:
This wee chap:
securityShield2-30x30.jpg
They can keep it.

Microsoft can put all the fancy GUI effects into Vista that they can think of, but what makes OS X special is the fact that those fancy effects are put to good use that actually improve the way the OS feels....ok the genie effect doesn't do shit except look cool.

xsarien

daedsiluap
gigapower said:
They can keep it.

Microsoft can put all the fancy GUI effects into Vista that they can think of, but what makes OS X special is the fact that those fancy effects are put to good use that actually improve the way the OS feels....ok the genie effect doesn't do shit except look cool.

I don't think anyone's actually arguing that, in terms of raw user interface and experience design, Apple can't run circles around Microsoft.

You'd think that after all these years Microsoft would actually get on that ball, but given that in the past 4-5 years or so they haven't managed to upgrade their web browser, I can only assume that the corporate strategy is "complacency."

jey_16

Banned
i'll be the first to admit that OSX is a better operating system and Apple is a great company but wtf was with that WWDC keynote......its like the whole thing was a Microsoft bashing conference, its just strange seeing something like that

Apple should just promote their products because they are great but the Microsoft hate just seems pathetic and over the top, it really seems to have come out this year compared to previous years

Top Bottom