• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Ranger X

nincompoop said:
Any takers? I don't like having excess Wii points sitting around in my account.

It'd be nice if they let us buy points in smaller increments.

I don't understand this mentality. Why don't you see those points as money toward your next purchase, whenever that will be?
Points will not disappear nor break you Wii or expire. :lol

Bomberman is hella fun. I love the Air Raid mode, since I've never played it before. Was it in any other iterations of the series, or is it entirely new?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'll definitely be getting Super Turrican 2, as the original Super Turrican is definitely a great action-platformer. Bomberman is also getting bought, because...hey, it's online Bomberman. That's simply a perfect concept.

It's definitely nice to see some legitimately good weeks happening. I hope Nintendo keeps it up.

FYI, Super Turrican 2 is very different from the original. The first is more of a straightforward action-platformer, whereas ST2 emphasizes set-piece style levels. I love it, despite a few tedious bits like the underwater section.

Capndrake

Super Turrican 2's gameplay is just as good as its predecessors, but the music's taken a hit. I think there's only two old songs in there (And neither of those is the first level theme from Super Turrican and Mega Turrican).

crowphoenix said:
Super Turican 2, eh? Is it as good as the first?

+ Better graphics than Super Turrican, some of the SNES's best graphics ever
+ Great music too
+ Awesome shooting action
+ Lots of spectacular fights and environments
+ A version of a rare and somewhat expensive SNES game, for a LOT cheaper than the cart
+ Grappling hook/bionic arm item! Not like the kind of hard to use one in Mega Turrican, it's a great one. Awesome addition. And you have both megabombs and the beam weapon too -- It's the only game in the series with all of those things.

- It's probably the hardest of the three Factor 5 Turrican games, and the limited continues (you only get a couple) make it frustrating until you've played it enough times to figure out to do at each point.
- Virtually no large, multi-path areas full of places to explore, even fewer than the Super Turrican and Mega Turrican (which drastically cut back on them compared to Turrican 1 or 2) -- Turrican 1 or 2 fans sometimes find this their least favorite game in the series for that reason.

Father_Brain said:
FYI, Super Turrican 2 is very different from the original. The first is more of a straightforward action-platformer, whereas ST2 emphasizes set-piece style levels. I love it, despite a few tedious bits like the underwater section.

Yeah, Super Turrican 2 is almost completely linear and focuses on setting up awesome scenes, more so than any previous game in the series, at the cost of the large, exploration-filled, more non-linear stages of the first two games, or even, to some extent, the first two Factor 5 games (remembering that the first two games were originally made by Rainbow Arts and only ported to Amiga by Factor 5, while Mega Turrican and both Super Turricans were done entirely by Factor 5).

I'm loving Orbient. This is exactly the kind of game I've been hoping for- dead simple but also very intuitive. Also, it's set in the emptiness of space- awesome.

alex1893

A Black Falcon said:
- Virtually no large, multi-path areas full of places to explore, even fewer than the Super Turrican and Mega Turrican (which drastically cut back on them compared to Turrican 1 or 2) -- Turrican 1 or 2 fans sometimes find this their least favorite game in the series for that reason.
exactly. I grew up with Turrican 1 and 2 and that linear bullshit killed it for me. It's just not Turrican anymore... good graphics and sound don't help when you don't like the gameplay itself. :/

Orbient looks like an intriguing title, love the relaxing spacey music. Watching the video I get a funny feeling of "Mario Galaxy pull star, the game." :p

Cheez-It

evilromero said:
I'm loving Orbient. This is exactly the kind of game I've been hoping for- dead simple but also very intuitive. Also, it's set in the emptiness of space- awesome.

Same. While simple, it's still an interesting challenge when you only have control over movement in terms of gravity/no gravity/anti-gravity. Quite relaxing, in terms of gameplay, music, and atmosphere of the game. I'm enjoying it.

Cheez-It

Agent Unknown said:
Orbient looks like an intriguing title, love the relaxing spacey music. Watching the video I get a funny feeling of "Mario Galaxy pull star, the game." :p

Actually, the sound of using gravity and the effects on screen are pretty similar.

How many blocks are Orbient and BMan respectively? I had to delete Check Mii Out ch. & Super Turrican last week to get MM9 (worth it though, that's for sure). Also, it's rediculously parental on Nintendo's part how you can't copy the (massive) save files for Brawl and Mario Kart to SD. If I could I'd have enough space to buy at least two small-medium size WiiWare games or another TG-16 CD title.

Actually, the sound of using gravity and effects on screen are pretty similar.

Indeed. Brings back joyous memories of Space Junk galaxy. And I always wanted to try the BitGen GBA carts but my import money went elsewhere those days. That'd be an amazing value if they can release more of them for 500 pts each.

Nekobo

Agent Unknown said:
How many blocks are Orbient and BMan respectively? I had to delete Check Mii Out ch. & Super Turrican last week to get MM9 (worth it though, that's for sure). Also, it's rediculously parental on Nintendo's part how you can't copy the (massive) save files for Brawl and Mario Kart to SD. If I could I'd have enough space to buy at least two small-medium size WiiWare games or another TG-16 CD title.

126 blocks for Orbient, if I remember correctly.

I dropped $20 for Orbital on the GBA two years ago and had a blast. For just 600 points, this game is totally worth it. I can't wait to see the Digidrive remake on Wiiware.

Sagitario

So... I've 1600 Wii points around... should I get Bomberman and Orbient?

I don't think I've played a Bomberman game since the NES (but I remember having a lot of fun)?

Ranger X said:
I don't understand this mentality. Why don't you see those points as money toward your next purchase, whenever that will be?
Points will not disappear nor break you Wii or expire. :lol
I don't wanna be tempted to waste my money on Mega Man DLC, lol.

Whatever, I ended up buying the points and getting the game anyway.

sammy

I have died and gone to heaven ... Bit Generation wiiware ports, OMG!

i adore orbital, and have no shame in buying it again...

OK, clarification: in the UK BMan is 271 blocks. For whatever reason in the U.S. it's less - 227. *waves goodbye to SS R, Air Zonk and reluctantly gets rid of Mario Kart 64 for some breathing space* Of course, if I had a HD or SD support, I could also be tempted to buy Orbient and a Homestar episode. But I guess Nintendo's incompetence = their loss also. A little annoyed about this so holding off on Orbient even though I now have 159 blocks free. Time to cheer up by firing up Bomberman. Hopefully it'll hold up to my import Bomberman '94 Hucard which is my fave in the series. Guess this means less chance of Bomberman 64 on VC though. :(

Disappointed with BMan's online so far. Every round I've played has disconnected after the second round. Plenty of folks online (every game has had 8 people) but the server takes so long to start a game you end up playing the dodge bomb game more. I'm often stuck on dodge bomb for up to ten minutes at a time, even after it has flashed "An 8 player game is possible" several times. Hopefully the people who coded BManland DS's online (dunno about 2, but the first's server was abysmal) didn't work on this.

OK, BMan Blast has me officially annoyed. Use your points for something else until they (hopefully) improve the server. I haven't played one single full game, still get disconnected every time. I never had these kinds of problems with BMan Live on its first day. If they don't fix this within a few weeks I am deleting.

Cheez-It

Agent Unknown said:
OK, BMan Blast has me officially annoyed. Use your points for something else until they (hopefully) improve the server. I haven't played one single full game, still get disconnected every time. I never had these kinds of problems with BMan Live on its first day. If they don't fix this within a few weeks I am deleting.

I don't have any complaints. Do you live in a city? Using wireless in a crowded area will subject you to interference, and due to the shared medium nature of 802.11, you will compete for "air time" with anyone on an overlapping frequencies. And there are only 3 non-overlapping frequencies. If you live in the city or a crowded area/apartment/etc. this could lead to connection issues.

Re: Cheez-it. Yes, I'm in the middle of a city and in an apt (3rd floor if that would make any difference). I'm currently using a direct connection between my cable modem and Wii. Even when I was on wireless, none of my other Nintendo Wifi games on both Wii and DS (except BMan Land DS, go figure) disconnected me this badly. I've never once been disconnected from Mario Kart Wii or Dr. Mario Rx as two examples and my VC/WW content always downloads fast. Brawl often has lag though of course as it does for everyone, but when I play a Brawl friend match with folks I know (who are at least 4 1/2 hours driving distance away) there's little-none. Anyways, I'll try again later and hope for the best.

For now, I'm starved and need some pizza and MST3K. Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Ranger X

Just bought Orbient. It's awesome. You guys need to play that. I am pleasantly surprised as a north america that never played the "bit generation" games.

Man, I wish you could play Orbient with the Space Junk theme in the background! At least it would make the parts where you have to wait around in empty space until you get close enough to pull yourself to another planet a little less boring.

Pachinko

My classic SNES VC collection is just about complete now or atleast could be if I bought everything on there I wanted :p .

Super Turrican 2 is actually a pretty well done VC rom, I don't notice music and sound effects discrepancies like with super mario rpg. Highly recommend it I do, I should note that in my limited play sessions of the older turricans I never quite got the appeal of them but this one was like super star wars mixed with contra 3 and bionic commando , once you learn some of it's quirks it's really quite enjoyable. Brutally hard though, I never made it past stage 3-1.

Well, happy to say I just played ten rounds of BMan in a row with no lag and no disconnect and all 6-8 player rounds. Good times. Dunno what the problem was between my end and theirs but glad it's gone.

Netto-kun

Just downloaded the PCE version of Super Dodge Ball. Was pretty suprised that the game only took 18 blocks.:lol Now I am trying to figure out the jumping and how to perform super shots.:D

alex1893 said:
exactly. I grew up with Turrican 1 and 2 and that linear bullshit killed it for me. It's just not Turrican anymore... good graphics and sound don't help when you don't like the gameplay itself. :/

So you don't like Contra, then? While I do enjoy the style of the first two games, I think Super Turrican 1 was maybe my favorite one, overall gameplay wise... the levels are still somewhat open-ended, but with the much improved gameplay of the Factor 5 games -- the addition of hitflash and momentary invincibility after you get hit so you can't be killed in seconds by one enemy draining your health, the vastly improved graphics, the design that does a good job of mixing carefully designed encounters with large, open areas...

Super Turrican 2 is amazing as well, but it is much more Contra-like due to its linearity. Still, I love the game. Linearity doesn't really bother me, even if it would be nice to have more stages like the early city one where there is some exploration you can do, and the set-piece battles are just so amazing... it's a very different kind of game from the first two Turrican games sure, but in its own way it's just as great.

Pachinko said:
My classic SNES VC collection is just about complete now or atleast could be if I bought everything on there I wanted :p .

Super Turrican 2 is actually a pretty well done VC rom, I don't notice music and sound effects discrepancies like with super mario rpg. Highly recommend it I do, I should note that in my limited play sessions of the older turricans I never quite got the appeal of them but this one was like super star wars mixed with contra 3 and bionic commando , once you learn some of it's quirks it's really quite enjoyable. Brutally hard though, I never made it past stage 3-1.

By "the older Turricans" do you mean Turrican 1 and 2, or Super and Mega? In the former case I can understand what you say (the two styles are quite different), but if you mean the latter, that wouldn't make much sense. Super Turrican and Mega Turrican are essentially the same as Super Turrican 2, except with some more open levels and somewhat different weapon/item sets (and not as good graphics).

And yeah, Super Turrican and Mega Turrican are a LOT easier. If you want games you will finish without too much trouble, play those games. Super Turrican 2 is a lot harder, and will take a lot more time to beat, considering the credit limit... they really upped the difficulty. Mega Turrican I can beat on normal in maybe an hour most times I play it, but Super Turrican 2? Forget it... I also usually run out of credits not too far in. Oh well. At least it keeps you playing, wanting to see it farther in and see what else Factor 5 has thought up...

alex1893

A Black Falcon said:
So you don't like Contra, then? While I do enjoy the style of the first two games, I think Super Turrican 1 was maybe my favorite one, overall gameplay wise... the levels are still somewhat open-ended, but with the much improved gameplay of the Factor 5 games -- the addition of hitflash and momentary invincibility after you get hit so you can't be killed in seconds by one enemy draining your health, the vastly improved graphics, the design that does a good job of mixing carefully designed encounters with large, open areas...

Super Turrican 2 is amazing as well, but it is much more Contra-like due to its linearity. Still, I love the game. Linearity doesn't really bother me, even if it would be nice to have more stages like the early city one where there is some exploration you can do, and the set-piece battles are just so amazing... it's a very different kind of game from the first two Turrican games sure, but in its own way it's just as great.
Linearity doesn't bother me too much as well, it's just like linearity and Turrican don't fit. Maybe they should've given Super Turrican 2 another name... but then I tried the first the first 1 or 2 levels of it on an Emulator, and was turned off somehow. Watched some of the later levels on youtube, and despite the amazing stuff they are pulling off on the SNES there was no "wow" effect, I couldn't get into it. Maybe ST2 is just no game for me.

Can't say much about Contra (SNES) though, only checked it out at a friend's place years ago, but I found it definitely more interesting than ST2.

alex1893 said:
Linearity doesn't bother me too much as well, it's just like linearity and Turrican don't fit. Maybe they should've given Super Turrican 2 another name... but then I tried the first the first 1 or 2 levels of it on an Emulator, and was turned off somehow. Watched some of the later levels on youtube, and despite the amazing stuff they are pulling off on the SNES there was no "wow" effect, I couldn't get into it. Maybe ST2 is just no game for me.

Can't say much about Contra (SNES) though, only checked it out at a friend's place years ago, but I found it definitely more interesting than ST2.

I know what you mean, actually... "this is great on its own, but it's just not right for the series! This series has its own style which is very different from this!" I feel that way myself about some games, like Extreme-G 3 (way too much Wipeout, not enough XG1 or 2), Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (the Baldur's Gate name on this Diablo clone?), etc. If I'd started out playing the first two Turrican games many years ago, maybe I'd feel more like that too... but I didn't, I only first played the series in recent years, and I think the first one I played more than a tiny bit of was Super Turrican. So when I went back and played the first two, some of the first things I noticed were the awful health system (no invincibility/flash when you're getting hit), the poor, convoluted controls in many versions of the games, how the first one has WAY too many blind jumps, sometimes towards bottomless pits, etc... compared to the later games, they're relatively unapproachable games that take a while to get used to. I definitely like them now, but I also absolutely love the style of the newer games.

As for Contra III, though, well, with Contra III and Hard Corps, one issue is the same one as Super Turrican 2... limited continues and a very high difficulty level make it hard to get far without putting a LOT of time into the games. It makes them very, very frustrating and a lot less fun than they potentially could be, I'd say... the Contra games are good, but I do like the Turrican series more. The only thing Contra definitely has over it is 2-player simultaneous mode, which is awesome of course. But other than that... I'd rather play a Turrican game.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Now they need to put Rendering Ranger R2 on VC which is much better than Super Turrican 1/2.

"Much better"? I don't know about that... it is amazingly good though, for sure, and yeah, it'd be a fantastic game to see up there. Hopefully it'll go up someday. :)

Top Bottom