• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

Well, since Nintendo clearly loves me and would never do anything that I could remotely criticize, tomorrow will not only bring those two TG16 games, and Proto Man, and the opening of the Cave Story site, and whatever the name of that WiiWare puzzle game is, but will also bring either Shining Force II or Secret of Man, and in so doing herald the return of regular three-game weeks. You see, everyone wins:

• Hudson won't look foolish because Nintendo won't be pulling away the football of their release schedule again (witness the situations with Ys Book I & II, Break In, and Star Parodier)
  • DLC will be made available without needing to have only two weeks over both VC and WiiWare to do it (witness when My Life as a King DLC was put up)
  • A WiiWare game will actually be advertised (witness Nintendo's promotion of their downloadable games--oh wait, you can't because they don't do it)
  • Regions that speak the same language will get games reasonably close to one another instead of having months or even a year between them (witness Europe taking six months to get DoReMi Fantasy, North America taking fourteen months to get Mega Man, Europe still not having Ninja Gaiden II, North America still not having Mario's Super Picross...)
  • We'll get three retro games at once

And, of course, if any one of these things does not happen then I'll probably be complaining. :p Even if Nintendo switches to a two-game week and releases Shining Force II or Secret of Mana, games that I want, I'd give them credit for the great release but still protest the delay of whichever of Hudson's games that I don't want it was, since I for one am no defender of communications between Nintendo and third-parties breaking down.

Gradius II PCE will be a great import pick but I won't be getting it as I have it on Gradius Portable, also used to own the Gradius Deluxe Pack for Saturn. As cartman414 said, hopefully Konami/NOA will eventually release the Famicom Gradius II which has fantasic redesigned levels and new enemies.

Anyways, can't wait for Protoman tomorrow.

Agent Unknown said:
Gradius II PCE will be a great import pick but I won't be getting it as I have it on Gradius Portable, also used to own the Gradius Deluxe Pack for Saturn. As cartman414 said, hopefully Konami/NOA will eventually release the Famicom Gradius II which has fantasic redesigned levels and new enemies.

Anyways, can't wait for Protoman tomorrow.

Actually, the PCE version of Gradius II has the extra level, Redbook audio, and according to HG101, is easier than the arcade.

Mar

DavidDayton said:
I really wish we were getting C64 games here in the USA.

Well, I wish we were getting them here in Australia too. However since we aren't I've set my Wii to the UK region which gives me access to the C64 stuff. The only problem with switching regions is you lose any points you have. I think last time I switched I lost around 200 I had sitting there. Then later realised there's no point in switching anymore and have left it on UK ever since.

I have a question for you guys.

I already own over 40 TurboGraphx-16 and CD games on the Virtual Console. Considering that only about 100 TG-16 games (about 40 TurboGraphx-CD games) made it to the US back in the day and there are already 50-60 TG-16/CD games out for the system on the Virtual Console, we may be running out of gems for the system. Can any TG-16/CD vets tell us any more good TG-16/CD games to look out for that haven't been released or announced for VC yet?

..BTW, I'll have the new press release out the moment it pops up. I've been working super early to help those Hurricane Ike/Gustav victims.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I notice it's usual to get angry answers with random questions in giga threads you're not actively participating, so SORRY IN ADVANCE if this offends the family of anyone:

Since the VC was announced I've been wanting and waiting for Mischief Makers (N64). It's bound to appear one day, right? Or is there any sort of contractual mumbo jumbo that holds it back like some other games? I just want to know if I should keep hoping.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alaluef said:
I notice it's usual to get angry answers with random questions in giga threads you're not actively participating, so SORRY IN ADVANCE if this offends the family of anyone:

Since the VC was announced I've been wanting and waiting for Mischief Makers (N64). It's bound to appear one day, right? Or is there any sort of contractual mumbo jumbo that holds it back like some other games? I just want to know if I should keep hoping.

There is, in fact, some contractual dispute between the copyright holders on this game. It may be overcome, but first we'd need the baby step of having a third party N64 game.

Apenheul

Alaluef said:

It definitely could happen, I think Square Enix and Nintendo will have to work that out together (according to wikipedia SE published Mischief Makers in Japan and Nintendo published it in EU and USA).

I don't know what's coming out today, but I'd really like Super Punch Out right now so I don't have to go unbox my SNES and find my Super Punch Out cartridge because I really want to play that given the Punch Out news we got last week.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dumb question time...

Super Ghouls and Ghosts

a) Is there a Professional Mode difficulty?
b) Is it normally selectable, or do you have to beat the game once on normal to get it?

There's no save/password for the game (yeah, I know, VC), so I was curious...

Pop quiz: What do you get when you add together 10 pins, 18 holes, two stolen jewels and hundreds of tumbling blocks? Never mind arithmetic—the answer lies in this week’s excellent additions to the Wii Shop Channel™. Wii™ lovers on the lookout for fresh gaming thrills can take their pick from a lively lineup that includes electrified bowling, Mario-styled golf, inventive puzzles and fantastic battles. Better yet, try out all four games and watch the fun grow exponentially.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week’s new games are:

WiiWare™

Midnight Bowling™ (Gameloft, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Plunge directly into the trendy and electric atmosphere of Midnight Bowling. With awesome playing sensations, prepare for ultra-fun gaming thanks to a new physics engine that lets you control your throws precisely and easily with your Wii Remote™ controller and make spectacular spins that will impress your opponents. Face up to three friends in the fun party mode, where your playing abilities will be put to the test. Whatever your experience level, launch yourself into the immersive career mode, where you will play in the trendiest bowling spots on the planet against charismatic characters that will give you a run for your money.

MadStone (Riverman Media, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Time is short. Earth trembles as the forces of nature stir and grow restless. Can you turn the tide? In this dynamic puzzle game, you must clear the path for your elemental MadStones to reach the bottom of the screen. Blocks can be broken by striking them directly or by the force of falling objects. The novice tries frantically to break enough blocks, while the master sets up cascading collapses with only a handful of direct strikes. As two sides struggle for domination, titanic forces build, only to be unleashed in an earth-shaking final confrontation. Experience the mystical single-player journey, or challenge a friend in competitive two-player mode.

Virtual Console™

Mario Golf™ (Nintendo 64™, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Mario™ takes a well-deserved break from his role as the Mushroom Kingdom’s busiest hero and returns to the links for some world-class golfing action. Since no one likes to hit the fairways alone, he’s brought along a group of friends—both familiar characters and brand new ones. Choose from 10 different modes of play and six 18-hole courses in a variety of environments for a golfing experience with endless replay value. Add in fun, colorful graphics with a Mario touch (a Boo indicates wind direction), intuitive controls, incredibly deep game play and multiplayer support (taunt your opponents), and you have a game anyone will enjoy—even if you’ve never played a round of golf. Fore!

Shining Force™ II (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): It’s a dark and stormy night in the kingdom of Granseal when a thief steals two jewels from the Tower of the Ancients. He sets in motion strange events that lead to the resurrection of Zeon, the Devil King. Granseal’s king falls sick, the princess is kidnapped, and a door to Arc Valley, the Devil King’s home, is opened. The young swordsman, Bowie, realizing the grave danger Granseal faces, must lead the Shining Force to find the Holy Sword and the stolen jewels, and protect Granseal against the invading armies of Zeon.

nincompoop said:
Shining Force™ II (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone—Mild Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): It’s a dark and stormy night in the kingdom of Granseal when a thief steals two jewels from the Tower of the Ancients. He sets in motion strange events that lead to the resurrection of Zeon, the Devil King. Granseal’s king falls sick, the princess is kidnapped, and a door to Arc Valley, the Devil King’s home, is opened. The young swordsman, Bowie, realizing the grave danger Granseal faces, must lead the Shining Force to find the Holy Sword and the stolen jewels, and protect Granseal against the invading armies of Zeon.

:eek:

nincompoop said:
Shining Force™ II
:eek:

nincompoop said:
Shining Force™ II
:O

Man God

Non-Canon Member
El Pescado said:
I don't know what's coming out today, but I'd really like Super Punch Out right now so I don't have to go unbox my SNES and find my Super Punch Out cartridge because I really want to play that given the Punch Out news we got last week.

Go find Fight Night Round 2 for the GCN for a free version of Super Punchout!!

Ha! Fucking awesome week for our US friends - two great VC releases, one very promising WiiWare title and one could-be-decent WiiWare game.

Hopefully Friday's PAL update will be as good!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
nincompoop said:

PARTY TIME!!!!!!

PAAAAARRRTTTTYYYY TTTIIIMMMEEE!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Man God said:
There is, in fact, some contractual dispute between the copyright holders on this game. It may be overcome, but first we'd need the baby step of having a third party N64 game.
Apenheul said:
It definitely could happen, I think Square Enix and Nintendo will have to work that out together (according to wikipedia SE published Mischief Makers in Japan and Nintendo published it in EU and USA).
Thanks a lot, guys.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And thus Nintendo keeps their streak of awesome VC weeks alive. And with Earthworm Jim yet on slate not to mention Gradius II... I just don't get why they couldn't pepper one title from each of the last 5-6 weeks in the preceding 3-4 months that we've been suffering through the VC.. :(

Oh well.. SFII when I get home. I would totally buy Mario Golf except that I have Toadstool Tour for GCN. If you don't already have TT, Mario Golf is a great purchase. If they ever get Mario Tennis up though, I'm instantly buying that.

kswiston

Shining Force II will be my first Virtual Console purchase in well over 6 months. I still have my original Genesis cart, by my Genesis hasn't been working too well in the last couple of years.

I wonder if the Kraken is still as much a bastard as he was when I played the game last about 8 years ago.

explodet said:
Not only is Shining Force II awesome, it has a rat ninja.

BUY IT.
Slade always either completely awesome or completely awful. There was no in between for him. I hope he rocks this time through.

Drkirby said:
Make sure you pick it back up when you are done. Great game.
I plan on it. I had forgotten how good the game is. My only problem is that the voices are glitching, so I hear constant chants in battle.

jay

crowphoenix said:
Slade always either completely awesome or completely awful. There was no in between for him. I hope he rocks this time through.

He was kind of like Arthur in that "I am a fighter but also use magic but also usually suck."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no no, i was asking about mario tennis, not mario golf.

but mario golf is different enough from toadstool tour to buy as well?

HUELEN10

beelzebozo said:
no no, i was asking about mario tennis, not mario golf.

but mario golf is different enough from toadstool tour to buy as well?
Mario Golf is different enough. Mario Tennis is as well. Different feel, and different characters.

Neo Samus

crowphoenix said:
Why do I have a long day when there is Shinning Force to be played?

School/Work saw this day coming and planned to hold for as long as possible. :D

I have to agree though, I have work and school right after. So I won't be getting home till about 10 pm. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Motion sensor bowling?

I need a review of this game, stat.

Plinko said:
Motion sensor bowling?

I need a review of this game, stat.
Seconded. Wii Sports Bowling is good fun, but if there's an alternative that doesn't always roll the ball towards the center or require a disc-based purchase, it could be worth checking out.

Ahh sweet sweet Mario Golf 64, the best game in the whole console Mario sports series! (Way better than Mario Golf TT!) Insta buy!

Will probably get SF2 as well, I like the first game but it is a bit clunky, was SF2 streamlined in any way?

Still waiting for Secret of Mana...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jiggy, looks like you got one of your birthday wishes, happy bday BTW.

I'm home sick from work today, and my 360 has died, in the middle of IU... looks like it's time to get Shining II and play it.

Top Bottom